Nederland vs. Beaumont Ozen Reg. Qtr. Thread/Ozen advances 52-44!

WOSgrad

I must say that I don't agree with alot of the posts on this site but again WHO AM I? I am Ozen supporter but I must admit that Coach English has done an amazing job with the program and we lost to Nederland on several occasions over the years...in saying that I know that some avid Ozen supporters "discredit" Nederland's accomplishments and blame it on coaching at Ozen and Central but hey it's over with and we can't change the outcome. I will also admit that I haven't been a big fan of Ozen basketball since Boutte left and gave Saveat a hard time but I had to suck it up for my child. In saying that I really wish that PEOPLE would suck it up and stop trying to downsize Coach English and Nederland's accomplishments and accept Ozen basketball for what it is right now. You may not feel that Saveat is the right person for the job but he has the job at this point. I agree whole-heartedly with an earlier post by JRIDGE.

I have also read posts with people saying that Ozen is only still in it because of being the 3rd seed - HOGWASH! The same thing with football, the kids worked hard to get this far regardless of what seed they were. Stop being so bitter about yesterday or 5 years ago. Support the kids or don't support the kids - the choice is yours.

With that being said, LET'S GO PANTHERS! Ride or Die (at least til my son graduates)! :D

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1189439" timestamp="1330611427"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=96858.msg1189432#msg1189432 date=1330611280]
just having one D1 talent isn't going to win you a state title....

Plus isn't he at a JC
[/quote] I was only clarifying that Ozen had a recent true D-1 a several years ago. Nothing to do with winning State ;)
[/quote]
Fact: Ozen has had 1 pro, and 4 Division I players in 15 years of existence.....That is NOT earth shattering by any means...and the Division I players and schools? Keena Young (BYU), Jason Dabney (TSU), Brandon Chapell (Lamar), and Kris Richards (Tulane)(Jason Breckenridge would have been the fifth, but an ACL injury kept him out of his senior season, he went on to play at Prarie View A&M)....We are not talking Duke, UNC, Kansas type schools here...I think winning a state title is not as easy as people may think it is, and it was DEFINITELY NOT guranteed by having Kendrick Perkins, either... Won it all in 2001 going 36-0, but in 2002, we faced another pro in Chris Bosh, along with 3 other D-1's ON THAT Dallas Lincoln TEAM, then in 2003, The team had Perkins, Young, and 9 sophmores that got most of the minutes and they still finished 34-1 losing in the state title game to FW Dunbar that featured 3 D-1's on that team...It was not a gimme, just because Perk was on the roster...Savaet is not doing a bad job, but the program is not what it once was...NO fault of his, but it was very difficult to follow Boutte in the first place...Kids had to be won over, the community had to be won over, and in the process, Ozen lost some kids that they would have normally gotten...Part of the process...They had to depend on more football kids this year too, than in year's past...It took them a while to get going, but now they are peaking at the right time....Most people just don't understand these facts.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1189459" timestamp="1330612380"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=96858.msg1189439#msg1189439 date=1330611427]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=96858.msg1189432#msg1189432 date=1330611280]
just having one D1 talent isn't going to win you a state title....

Plus isn't he at a JC
[/quote] I was only clarifying that Ozen had a recent true D-1 a several years ago. Nothing to do with winning State ;)
[/quote]
Fact: Ozen has had 1 pro, and 4 Division I players in 15 years of existence.....That is NOT earth shattering by any means...and the Division I players and schools? Keena Young (BYU), Jason Dabney (TSU), Brandon Chapell (Lamar), and Kris Richards (Tulane)(Jason Breckenridge would have been the fifth, but an ACL injury kept him out of his senior season, he went on to play at Prarie View A&M)....We are not talking Duke, UNC, Kansas type schools here...I think winning a state title is not as easy as people may think it is, and it was DEFINITELY NOT guranteed by having Kendrick Perkins, either... Won it all in 2001 going 36-0, but in 2002, we faced another pro in Chris Bosh, along with 3 other D-1's ON THAT Dallas Lincoln TEAM, then in 2003, The team had Perkins, Young, and 9 sophmores that got most of the minutes and they still finished 34-1 losing in the state title game to FW Dunbar that featured 3 D-1's on that team...It was not a gimme, just because Perk was on the roster...Savaet is not doing a bad job, but the program is not what it once was...NO fault of his, but it was very difficult to follow Boutte in the first place...[b]Kids had to be won over[/b], the community had to be won over, and in the process, Ozen lost some kids that they would have normally gotten...Part of the process...They had to depend on more football kids this year too, than in year's past...It took them a while to get going, but now they are peaking at the right time....Most people just don't understand these facts.
[/quote]
I agree. You are darn right kids had to be won over - my son went to open gym at Ozen for too many years growing up...working and communicating with Boutte during the summer was a great experience for my son and this bond led him to want to go to Ozen to play for Boutte. It was earth shattering to an 8th grader when he learned Boutte would not be at Ozen when he was a freshman, this almost led to him going to Central because he couldn't fathom Ozen basketball without Boutte. Again I haven't always agreed with Saveat but we are a work in progress.  :)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1189519" timestamp="1330617307"]
[quote author=GrayDog link=topic=96858.msg1189483#msg1189483 date=1330614694]
Central has an outstanding Freshman group for sure!
[/quote] Yes they do
[/quote] Dove are you saying that KIDs in Beaumont have a choice of what basketball program they wont to attend  ;D ;D ;D Does the UIL know about this????

[quote name="True Blue" post="1189523" timestamp="1330617757"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=96858.msg1189519#msg1189519 date=1330617307]
[quote author=GrayDog link=topic=96858.msg1189483#msg1189483 date=1330614694]
Central has an outstanding Freshman group for sure!
[/quote] Yes they do
[/quote] Dove are you saying that KIDs in Beaumont have a choice of what basketball program they wont to attend  ;D ;D ;D Does the UIL know about this????
[/quote] I did "qualify "think" and 'rumors."    ;D

Well congratulations to the Dogs for the year they had, and hats off to the Panthers for their success and good luck!!! Ozen and Central will we stacked for a few years to come. Should be some exciting basketball in the future.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1189450" timestamp="1330611735"]
[quote author=5gallonbucket link=topic=96858.msg1189445#msg1189445 date=1330611531]
D1 is not JC

where is he now.....
[/quote] As I stated, "major D-1 talent in basketball." Other factors besides athletic talent are included to attend a D-1 school. ;)
[/quote]

I understand that....and i know alot of great D1 players come from JCs
So what happened after JC. 
was he not recruited or was it something else

to all you ozen fanatics

Bou was a great coach but he also had Perkins and several other D1 players on his team.

So without perkins they don't win state.

Yall act like because they had some very successful years there that it should be that way every year.  Players like that come every so often.  YOu can't win state every year.

Lets be honest OZEN hasn't had any legit D1 players in several years, so guess what your[b][u] not going to win state[/u][/b].....yall wanna blame the coach but heck he can only play the players that come out for the team.

IF saveat had perkins and those players yall would be saying he was a great coach......

IN two to three years OZEN will win district and they will have a team good enough to make a state run....

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1189463" timestamp="1330612971"]
There was NO perkins or any other really big time players on the 2007 Ozen team that marched to state.  Explain that one, 5gallonbucket.
[/quote]

I said "WIN STATE"  they didn't win it.  IM not trying to take away from their accomplishments.  THey did really well that year with less talent than BOU had....that says alot.  and im not saying you can't win state with out D1 players, but its highly unlikely in the 5A and 4A divisions.  More than likely there will be atleast one D1 caliber player

I mean take away those D1 players from BOU's teams and what do you have.

Soulja and Bluedove your missing the point with my post or you do get my point but wanta try to debunk me on minor details of my post.

[quote name="RR8" post="1189566" timestamp="1330620734"]
Well congratulations to the Dogs for the year they had, and hats off to the Panthers for their success and good luck!!! Ozen and Central will we stacked for a few years to come. Should be some exciting basketball in the future.
[/quote]
Appreciate it. The Dawgs will be around for a while too. We return 4 starters next year (3 SR/ 1 JR). Plus 5 Returning Letterman (3 SR/ 2 JRs). We also have a promising 8th grade team who will enter HS next year. The CO Wilson group only lost one game (Bmt MLK)) in two seasons. Their record was somewhere in the ballpark of 35-1! English's little brother is on that team!  ;)
Will continue to be a 3 way battle for a while!  8)

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1189616" timestamp="1330624480"]
to all you ozen fanatics

Bou was a great coach but he also had Perkins and several other D1 players on his team.

So without perkins they don't win state.

Yall act like because they had some very successful years there that it should be that way every year.  Players like that come every so often.  YOu can't win state every year.

Lets be honest OZEN hasn't had any legit D1 players in several years, so guess what your[b][u] not going to win state[/u][/b].....yall wanna blame the coach but heck he can only play the players that come out for the team.

IF saveat had perkins and those players yall would be saying he was a great coach......

IN two to three years OZEN will win district and they will have a team good enough to make a state run....

[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=96858.msg1189463#msg1189463 date=1330612971]
There was NO perkins or any other really big time players on the 2007 Ozen team that marched to state.  Explain that one, 5gallonbucket.
[/quote]

I said "WIN STATE"  they didn't win it.  IM not trying to take away from their accomplishments.  THey did really well that year with less talent than BOU had....that says alot.  and im not saying you can't win state with out D1 players, but its highly unlikely in the 5A and 4A divisions.  More than likely there will be atleast one D1 caliber player

I mean take away those D1 players from BOU's teams and what do you have.

Soulja and Bluedove your missing the point with my post or you do get my point but wanta try to debunk me on minor details of my post.
[/quote]Not missing your point at all. All I said was that D. Frank has been the CLOSEST D1 material in recent years.

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1189627" timestamp="1330625006"]
[quote author=RR8 link=topic=96858.msg1189566#msg1189566 date=1330620734]
[/quote]
Appreciate it. The Dawgs will be around for a while too. We return 4 starters next year (3 SR/ 1 JR). Plus 5 Returning Letterman (3 SR/ 2 JRs). We also have a promising 8th grade team who will enter HS next year. The CO Wilson group only lost one game (Bmt MLK)) in two seasons. Their record was somewhere in the ballpark of 35-1! English's little brother is on that team!  ;)
[/quote]Unless yall got two 6'9" 's coming in and can play. It ain't happening. ;)

[quote name="NB-Dawg" post="1189627" timestamp="1330625006"]
[/quote]
[/quote]Those ML King Middle School kids are in a Central feeder school.  They'll more than likely be suited up in maroon and gray next year.  8) 8)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1189636" timestamp="1330625883"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96858.msg1189627#msg1189627 date=1330625006]
[/quote]
[/quote]Unless yall got two 6'9" 's coming in and can play. It ain't happening. ;)
[/quote]
Keep on telling yourself that !  ;) You told me the same thing last Spring and last Summer when I said we would be fine next season...  ::) ;D
I also said I wouldn't be surprised if we won district again, and many laughed at me!  8)

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1189643" timestamp="1330626776"]
[quote author=NB-Dawg link=topic=96858.msg1189627#msg1189627 date=1330625006]
[/quote]
[/quote]Those ML King Middle School kids are in a Central feeder school.  They'll more than likely be suited up in maroon and gray next year.  8) 8)
[/quote]
Doubt that VERY seriously...You will be surprised where those MLK kids could end up... ;)