Freshman

TLB0

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Arrow15" post="1168574" timestamp="1328027668"]
A friend of mine in Groves told me that Walker is now the backup shortstop to Daniel Sparrow (Sr.). Walker can play anywhere except catcher and will see pitching time this year. Lane is a catcher and is NOT on varsity. Lane will be a JV guy due to the depth that PNG has.
[/quote]

If he's a back-up, let him play down until he's needed. He needs AB's and playing time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="GCMPats" post="1168579" timestamp="1328028058"]
[quote author=Arrow15 link=topic=95103.msg1168574#msg1168574 date=1328027668]
A friend of mine in Groves told me that Walker is now the backup shortstop to Daniel Sparrow (Sr.). Walker can play anywhere except catcher and will see pitching time this year. Lane is a catcher and is NOT on varsity. Lane will be a JV guy due to the depth that PNG has.
[/quote]

If he's a back-up, let him play down until he's needed. He needs AB's and playing time.
[/quote]

I agree.  I hate to see Freshman moved up and sit the bench all year when they could be getting reps on JV.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1168620" timestamp="1328032785"]
I've heard nothing but good things about Shuggart from BC.  Not sure if he will make varsity, but he has a real shot from what I've heard.
[/quote]

Yep, and throwing mid 80's as a freshman will get you some looks.  ;)

Guest hammer head
PNG Freshman team had there cut today, several good players were cut that are passing, but were told they were to short. Since when did your size matter in Baseball. Also there are 8 players that made the team that are failing at this time. Im not sure how "no pass no play reads but you can bet when i talk to the UIL they will be able to clear it up. There are some that couldnt play basketball due to grades and now here we are in baseball season. I hope the PNG coaches start a player that is failing, we will love to see that. Freshman that will be on Varsity, **deleted**

**Mod edit**  This is not the place to post heresay about specific kids grades.  Please remember you are talking about 14-18 year old kids here.  Consider this your 1st warning

Guest hammer head
Im sorry i was just responding to Half Indian/Wildcat when he spoke of the grades for (his son). My child didnt try out for the team but i several of my friends kids that did and didn't make it. Maybe the kids parents that didnt make the team should try to get the job of the voice of the PNG Indians, or mow the coaches grass or what ever the others do to be a shineing star for the district.

[quote name="hammer head" post="1168957" timestamp="1328057971"]
Im sorry i was just responding to Half Indian/Wildcat when he spoke of the grades for (his son). My child didnt try out for the team but i several of my friends kids that did and didn't make it. Maybe the kids parents that didnt make the team should try to get the job of the voice of the PNG Indians, or mow the coaches grass or what ever the others do to be a shineing star for the district.
[/quote]

Every school around has stories about what one has to do for little Johnny to make the team, but I assure you, successful programs do NOT have rosters that are filled kids that have "mowed someone's grass", etc... The "Shining Stars of the district" got there by working their butts off! These coaches field a team to win (In a nut shell......their jobs depend on it), if they continuously have losing seasons, they will get replaced. I would hate to have the job of filling out a lineup at some of our local schools, that would be tough! A team of ball players that make the team in the manner in which you speak would not be able to compete, much less win.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1168620" timestamp="1328032785"]
I've heard nothing but good things about Shuggart from BC.  Not sure if he will make varsity, but he has a real shot from what I've heard.
[/quote]
Chase Shugart is extremely talented. I would be surprised if he didn't make varsity. Has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen on a 14 year old, and he can really crush a baseball.

Nederland has another strong group of Freshman....too deep in upper classman to see any kids on V.

However, this group is supported by strong pitching and solid fielding.  A couple of power hitters.

Nederland is pitching rich over the next four years.  Wonder what was in the water in Nederland 15-18 years ago.

Kelly has a pretty good group of freshmen. Ford Proctor is very talented. And so are some others but i would say, personally, he is the best of the freshmen.

[quote name="hammer head" post="1168957" timestamp="1328057971"]
[/quote]

I don't post very often on this site, but I do like to read the threads to get information on all athletic teams across the area.  I made an exception tonight because, after being interested in this topic, I found the above quote from hammer head.  I am the Voice of the PNG Indians and, yes, my son made the PNG sophomore baseball team today and I'm very proud of his accomplishment.  To insinuate that he made the team because of me announcing football games is ludicrous.  You obviously don't know me OR my son!  He made the team on HIS talent and HIS determination to be the best Indian he can be, both on and off the field!

Sorry to the rest of the posters on this thread for getting off subject but I'm not going to let someone make such accusations.

Guest hammer head
Going off of what Jeff Laine has said and I not for sure you are correct M/M. But your player and the others that can pass will be hurt by the ones that can't. If a non-passer plays our group will contact the UIL and exspose the PNG way.
NO PASS NO PLAY- Will be the way it is. We will be watching.

100 mile fast bast, .15 cent head, No good.

No coach is going to play players that are failing.  I don't know when the last grade report was or when next report card comes out but as long as they are passing when the reports come out they are eligible.  Practicing is not playing:  Therefore a player can still participate in practice even if failing.  I would wait until a game is played before I started making accusation.  HH your posts sounds like you have a grudge with PNG's coaching staff.  They have a good coach and he will play within UIL guidelines.

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="1169503" timestamp="1328101144"]
No coach is going to play players that are failing.  I don't know when the last grade report was or when next report card comes out but as long as they are passing when the reports come out they are eligible.  Practicing is not playing:  Therefore a player can still participate in practice even if failing.  I would wait until a game is played before I started making accusation.  HH your posts sounds like you have a grudge with PNG's coaching staff.  They have a good coach and he will play within UIL guidelines.
[/quote]

Amen. This is what happens when you have 70-80 kids to come out for three teams. Good thing/bad thing. Somebody is going to get upset.

GGD...My heart aches from what's happening at REL.  To have been there in some of her glory years, I could have never imagined this
occurring.  It's happening in so many Districts in the area.  The zoning process has created such a downfall.  Wish School Boards would look around before rezoning and try their best to prevent these tragedys...JMO...Hope Mikey has a great season.

[quote name="hammer head" post="1168901" timestamp="1328055477"]
PNG Freshman [b]team had there cut today, several good players were cut that are passing[/b], but were told they were to short. Since when did your size matter in Baseball. Also there are 8 players that made the team that are failing at this time. Im not sure how "no pass no play reads but you can bet when i talk to the UIL they will be able to clear it up. There are some that couldnt play basketball due to grades and now here we are in baseball season. I hope the PNG coaches start a player that is failing, we will love to see that. Freshman that will be on Varsity, **deleted**

**Mod edit**  This is not the place to post heresay about specific kids grades.  Please remember you are talking about 14-18 year old kids here.  Consider this your 1st warning
[/quote]

Getting cut as a freshmen might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Mine was cut as a freshman, (southpaw pitcher no-less). Rained the week of tryouts and coaches didn't even see him throw. Went home and taped that days' date on his bedroom door and hasn't quit working his tail off since. Senior in college, weekend starter, has paid for about 85% of his college education, and if healthy, will be drafted June 4th. Playing with a chip on your shoulder and out to prove folks wrong, can sometimes really elevate your game.
Just my "glass half-full" story.  ;)

[quote name="hammer head" post="1169492" timestamp="1328099514"]
Going off of what Jeff Laine has said and I not for sure you are correct M/M. But your player and the others that can pass will be hurt by the ones that can't. If a non-passer plays our group will contact the UIL and exspose the PNG way.

[/quote]

in all my years of reading this board, this is the dumbest thing i have ever read here.

that says a lot.

"we will be watching"  smfh

[quote name="hfaninthestands" post="1169603" timestamp="1328108783"]
[quote author=hammer head link=topic=95103.msg1169492#msg1169492 date=1328099514]

[/quote]

in all my years of reading this board, this is the dumbest thing i have ever read here.

that says a lot.

"we will be watching"  smfh
[/quote]

Not sure if he/she understands how "no-pass, no-play" works.

[quote name="LifesABall" post="1169402" timestamp="1328073108"]
[quote author=hammer head link=topic=95103.msg1168957#msg1168957 date=1328057971]
Im sorry i was just responding to Half Indian/Wildcat when he spoke of the grades for (his son). My child didnt try out for the team but i several of my friends kids that did and didn't make it. the others do to be a shineing star for the district.[b]Maybe the kids parents that didnt make the team should try to get the job of the voice of the PNG Indians, or mow the coaches grass or what ever [/b] [/quote]

I don't post very often on this site, but I do like to read the threads to get information on all athletic teams across the area.  I made an exception tonight because, after being interested in this topic, I found the above quote from hammer head.  I am the Voice of the PNG Indians and, yes, my son made the PNG sophomore baseball team today and I'm very proud of his accomplishment.  To insinuate that he made the team because of me announcing football games is ludicrous.  You obviously don't know me OR my son!  He made the team on HIS talent and HIS determination to be the best Indian he can be, both on and off the field!

Sorry to the rest of the posters on this thread for getting off subject but I'm not going to let someone make such accusations.
[/quote][b][/b]

So what about the kids that have no ties to the district or the coaches? Are you discounting their ability also? I for one do not think what your saying is fair to these kids at all because I guarantee the KIDS are being more ADULT about the cuts than YOU are. Its just wrong to assume a child makes teams  because of their parents & not consider their ability to play the game. The players you are speaking of are very good atheletes & make the grades!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin