UIL puts Kountze coach on 1-year probation

WOSgrad

[quote name="speechless" post="1163190" timestamp="1327073345"]
More important than who the refs were or what happened is the fact that someone actually thought this was news or post worthy.  What happened in this situation both before and after the ejection is nothing that doesn't happen everywhere across the state....yet, somehow here it is deemed news worthy.  Sad.
[/quote]

Anytime the UIL governing body takes action regarding an area team or individual, no matter how routine or, in this case, unjustified, it is newsworthy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest speechless
Go search ANY other publication and see how many articles you can find on a coach getting a public reprimand for this action.  It happens all across the state in bunches....but other media does not deem it worthy of a write up.

It is a standard public reprimand....nothing more nothing less.  The repercussions for Joubert are not different than ANY coach that has been ejected from a game.  If the repercussions were news worthy why was the ejection not?

At this past meeting, 4 coaches, including Coach Joubert were reprimanded for ejections.

http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/uil-state-executive-committee-to-meet71

3 local papers or online entities, including the Enterprise, made mention of their local coach being reprimanded:

http://wacocitizen.com/news/uil-state-executive-committee-meeting-results/6331/

http://herald-zeitung.com/sports/local_sports/article_1d0a7744-42c5-11e1-a921-001871e3ce6c.html

http://www.advosports.com/news/2012/jan/18/tidehavencoach_011912_164891/

[quote name="uandme08" post="1162693" timestamp="1326982087"]
Off base I'm sure but is this the same UIL that turned both cheeks on the Ozen/LaMarque incident? I'm sorry I had to ask.....
[/quote]

Saw where the Houston chronicle website had an article in it today about LaMarque students who punched the Manvel basketball coach. sorry not savvy enough to provide a link. 

[quote name="speechless" post="1163217" timestamp="1327076384"]
Go search ANY other publication and see how many articles you can find on a coach getting a public reprimand for this action.  It happens all across the state in bunches....but other media does not deem it worthy of a write up.

It is a standard public reprimand....nothing more nothing less.  The repercussions for Joubert are not different than ANY coach that has been ejected from a game.  If the repercussions were news worthy why was the ejection not?
[/quote] NEW HEADLINE - HJ Alumni get ejected in basketball game....Receives minimum penalty...Amazing!!!!  Unbelieveable, I think not.

I think that it was the game that Dayton was beating Kountze, IMOHO, I think He was just trying to light a spark under his kids to get them going the game was getting out of reach and he probably felt he needed to do something....Probably in the future the refs and the coach will make their point in a different way...I was across the gym when it happened and I have no clue what was said, but it wasn't done in a way where I could hear it...

Guest speechless
Still haven't had the question answered:

If the repercussions are newsworthy why was the ejection not newsworthy?

IMO, if you are gonna publicize a coach getting reprimanded then you should have covered the incident that lead to it.  Otherwise it comes across as the media just looking for the negative and doing anything they can to spark controversy instead of just reporting the news.

[quote name="speechless" post="1164573" timestamp="1327338400"]

IMO, if you are gonna publicize a coach getting reprimanded then you should have covered the incident that lead to it.  Otherwise it comes across as the media just looking for the negative and doing anything they can to spark controversy instead of just reporting the news.
[/quote]

Maybe the media didn't know about the ejection till much later on (in this case not until the reprimand hit the wires). It was just a morning pool play tourney game which isn't usually covered by media.

[quote name="speechless" post="1164573" timestamp="1327338400"]

[/quote]

The answer is likely that David Henry (and likely the other media sources) weren't even aware of the ejection until Coach Joubert's name appeared on agenda or the minutes of the most recent UIL executive committee.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1164594" timestamp="1327340109"]
Wouldnt it have been a good idea for Mr. Henry and anybody else for that matter, [b]to assemble all pertinent facts on the topic [/b]before writing about it?  I thought that was sort of an implied method of conduct for news reporting.
[/quote]

and the pertinent facts were????

Wouldnt it have been a good idea for Mr. Henry and anybody else for that matter, to assemble all pertinent facts on the topic before writing about it?  I thought that was sort of an implied method of conduct for news reporting.
[/quote]

He reported that the UIL took action against Coach Joubert, which, in fact, the UIL did.  Anything else would have been editorializing.  If someone has a problem with David's reporting he does post his e-mail on very report he posts.  I am sure that he would be more than happy to discuss with you why he wrote what he did.

Wouldnt it have been a good idea for Mr. Henry and anybody else for that matter, to assemble all pertinent facts on the topic before writing about it?  I thought that was sort of an implied method of conduct for news reporting.
[/quote]

BTW, it did appear that happened, if you read the last sentence of the posted article:

"Joubert declined comment Wednesday"

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw