HJ football fans deserve better

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one thing to air out your dirty laundry on SETX but for the BE to publish this article is rediculous!  Now every disgruntled parent will want their crap published in the public paper.  Some schools just have "slumps" in the talent pool from year to year while others seem to never run out.  There are several fans that feel this way about their current coaching staffs, but the truth is, some programs just don't have the "athletes" to compete!  Trust me, it is not the coaches fault.

ps  The BE may need to get another editor in chief to monitor the garbage that is being printed.  I guess that is why it is refered to as the Beaumont Surprize  ;D

[quote name="killingmesmalls" post="1125849" timestamp="1321831467"]
It's one thing to air out your dirty laundry on SETX but for the BE to publish this article is rediculous!  Now every disgruntled parent will want their crap published in the public paper.  Some schools just have "slumps" in the talent pool from year to year while others seem to never run out.  There are several fans that feel this way about their current coaching staffs, but the truth is, some programs just don't have the "athletes" to compete!  Trust me, it is not the coaches fault.

ps  The BE may need to get another editor in chief to monitor the garbage that is being printed.  I guess that is why it is refered to as the Beaumont Surprize  ;D
[/quote]
You have to be athletic to play basketball? So they do have athletes. Sean Prudhomme at Wide Receiver would be sick lol.

[quote name="killingmesmalls" post="1125871" timestamp="1321833292"]
Prudomme wouldn't have helped that much.  He is a tremendous athlete, but I'm sure the quarterback with a FREAK'N NECKROLL couldn't throw the football more than 20 yds!
[/quote]
True. LOL. I was just trying to prove the point that they do have athletes @ H.J highschool, maybe just not on the football field, and the ones on the field don't have their heart's in it.

Been there, done that. Get a good young coach who cares about your community and keep him there long enough for him to build a program. Don't even think about Jeff Mathews, though. I got a good deer rifle and you won't make it across the Neches river bridge with your offer. BTW, the morons in Crosby just let a good one go...

[quote name="robanadana" post="1126118" timestamp="1321850502"]
Been there, done that. [b]Get a good young coach who cares about your community and keep him there long enough for him to build a program[/b]. Don't even think about Jeff Mathews, though. I got a good deer rifle and you won't make it across the Neches river bridge with your offer. BTW, the morons in Crosby just let a good one go...
[/quote]

IMO, Hardin-Jefferson has that coach already in current AD/HC David Martel.

JR. league football just played in the super bowl.  I believe that the other teams in the super bowl were deweyville, buna, and ?  LL is no indicator for high school success.  Why won't more of the bball players play football?  It would help, but you still would not beat wos, and in most years silsbee.

Guest jacobmccandles
Saw this in another topic.  Since Mr. leon is so smart, maybe he can tell us how many of HJ's player could start for WOS, Silsbee, BC, or OF.  How many of their players would start for HJ?  Saw them play WOS, so that would be only one I could compare.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1126183" timestamp="1321890592"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91960.msg1126118#msg1126118 date=1321850502]
Been there, done that. [b]Get a good young coach who cares about your community and keep him there long enough for him to build a program[/b]. Don't even think about Jeff Mathews, though. I got a good deer rifle and you won't make it across the Neches river bridge with your offer. BTW, the morons in Crosby just let a good one go...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.  For them to lay this problem at Coach Martel's feet is a complete joke.  The attitude in that community is basketball, basketball, basketball and all other sports are just there to pass the time until basketball season rolls around again. And that is okay....if the community can live with that, I as an outsider have no room to complain about that attitude.  BUT, when that attitude results in your other sports teams getting routed on a regular basis, don't come back and THEN blame the coach for the goings on!  That is just a WEE BIT hypocritical!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1126647" timestamp="1321911174"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=91960.msg1126183#msg1126183 date=1321890592]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=91960.msg1126118#msg1126118 date=1321850502]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.  For them to lay this problem at Coach Martel's feet is a complete joke.  The attitude in that community is basketball, basketball, basketball and all other sports are just there to pass the time until basketball season rolls around again. And that is okay....if the community can live with that, I as an outsider have no room to complain about that attitude.  BUT, when that attitude results in your other sports teams getting routed on a regular basis, don't come back and THEN blame the coach for the goings on!  That is just a WEE BIT hypocritical!
[/quote]

Me too. If Martel's assignment is to build HJ sports in general then give him time. If it's to support HJ basketball, then he's doing a great job. Can't have your cake and eat it too....

Keeping it real.  Can anyone give examples of things he has done that have kept the football program down? Anything!! Seems to me it is just personal.  Someone check my stats please.  I believe thru my research that HJ has only reached the playoffs 5 times in the history of the school. 

Guest speechless
[quote]Agreed.  For them to lay this problem at Coach Martel's feet is a complete joke.  The attitude in that community is basketball, basketball, basketball and all other sports are just there to pass the time until basketball season rolls around again.[/quote]

This comment is completely out of line, untrue, and I would love to know what facts you have to back that up?  I would think a moderator of this board might research their statements a little before they "pop off" like this.  Did you have any idea that the administration had an opportunity to hire Sutherland as the AD when they hired Martel?  If this was a community that just wanted to "pass the time until basketball season" then they would have hired Sutherland as the athletic director when they had the chance.  What did they do?  They went out and hired an HJ alum to come be their AD/head football coach.  That right there proves that the community/administration has a sincere interest in its football program, along with all other sports. 

I always marvel at the "coaches in the stands".  Everyone thinks they have the solution and the answer when they are on the outside looking in but, they have no clue what goes on during the day to day workings.  Coach Martel supports ALL sports and is doing everything he can to win in football as well.  He has made the playoffs twice during his tenure but, just like everything in high school sports it's cyclical. 

I think it is pitiful that this article was even posted on this board and even worse that a moderator would make the above comments with little to no knowledge of the inner workings at HJ.  I guess it is true what they say "Better for people to think you are ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Guest speechless

regardless of the point you are trying to make that is a cyclical thing just as everything in high school is

three years ago almost all of the varsity players played football

[quote name="speechless" post="1133223" timestamp="1322443232"]
[quote]Agreed.  For them to lay this problem at Coach Martel's feet is a complete joke.  The attitude in that community is basketball, basketball, basketball and all other sports are just there to pass the time until basketball season rolls around again.[/quote]

This comment is completely out of line, untrue, and I would love to know what facts you have to back that up?  I would think a moderator of this board might research their statements a little before they "pop off" like this.  Did you have any idea that the administration had an opportunity to hire Sutherland as the AD when they hired Martel?  If this was a community that just wanted to "pass the time until basketball season" then they would have hired Sutherland as the athletic director when they had the chance.  What did they do?  They went out and hired an HJ alum to come be their AD/head football coach.  That right there proves that the community/administration has a sincere interest in its football program, along with all other sports. 

I always marvel at the "coaches in the stands".  Everyone thinks they have the solution and the answer when they are on the outside looking in but, they have no clue what goes on during the day to day workings.  Coach Martel supports ALL sports and is doing everything he can to win in football as well.  He has made the playoffs twice during his tenure but, just like everything in high school sports it's cyclical. 

I think it is pitiful that this article was even posted on this board and even worse that a moderator would make the above comments with little to no knowledge of the inner workings at HJ.  I guess it is true what they say "Better for people to think you are ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
[/quote]

And you have shown yours mightily sir.  Mine were not blind comments but on the basis of the comment of folks very close to the HJ program. The proof is in the pudding, buddy.

You can call me all the names you want, it doesn't change a thing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder