Beginning game prayer - GREAT JOB VIDOR

CanineDog

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bending over backwards? How is not saying a prayer bending over backwards? Again, nobody has acknowledged the fact that you can say it in your head so why does it have to be broadcast. It seems much more personal that way to begin with! If you believe God to be omnipotent then one person leading several thousand people is just as good as each person saying their own prayer. Its just an attempt of the religious to intrude where they don't belong and then try to mask it as their right. Its not your right, my right or anyone else's right, and it never was. Ill say it again because apparently people cant comprehend well, its got nothing to do with majority vs. minority lol. If that were the case, our country would have already gone to hell in a handbasket and we would look like the middle east.

And to answer you Akifan, yes that is a perfect solution. As a matter of fact, I think Nederland does a fantastic job. Call it a prayer if you want, but it begins with, "We ask for" and then it never ends with an "in Jesus name" or any other preference to a deity. This is how it should be.

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="1119895" timestamp="1321454488"]
Iv'e yet to see a self proclaimed Atheist,Die an Atheist...With Their last dying breath they say Oh God,I don't want to die...Calling on the very ONE they have denied all the years...JMO
[/quote]

Nobody has said anything about Atheism?? this is a thread on prayer before football games, not religious beliefs.

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1119878" timestamp="1321453814"]
And just a side note, at the end of  our awesome prayer at our awesome football games with our thousands of AWESOME Pirate fans, its awesome to hear the thousands of fans join together and say AMEN together!!!!!!  ;D
[/quote]

I remember back before 9/11 triggered the return to pre-game prayer. The crowd would recite the Lord's prayer during the moment of silence. That was awesome as well.

Like I said, it is not about prayer. It is about a minute populace wanting to get their way.

Using your mentality, it is alright to have gay thoughts in your head, but it sure is broadcast for everyone who does not think that way. I do have the choice to turn the channel or not reading the article, which is all anyone is asking of you.

Dog 27 your way off in your thinking, this is why our country is so screwed up because of people like you !! Just like most people here  they just want to have a simple prayer at a football game but noooo that might hurt someones feeling , get over it and dont listen to it. People have misinterpeted the constitution many times to fit what they believe it says and so has the Holy Bible . Our country is fallen apart because we are trying to please all the nay sayers instead of the majority.

You know what is really sad about all of this??? A bunch of grown adults want to get on here and whine about their rights to not have to listen to a prayer when the majority of the high school kids take it upon themselves to stand up and do it on their own before each game! I know for a fact that our players & cheerleaders pray before the games and I am pretty sure the Inidanettes do as well! Maybe we should all sit back and look at the example these kids are setting!

Prayers before football games are always amazing to hear. As a player/coach you need to know that you have a slight feeling that that prayer will help you travel home safely. Kids are passing away left and right and as a high schooler, prayers for the game are a great thing to have. Cover your ears if you don't want to hear it. Great job Vidor!

[quote name="Purple Runs Deep" post="1120081" timestamp="1321463516"]
Why do prayers need to be spoken out loud? Is it less of a prayer if an individual keeps it to themselves?
[/quote]

That's a good point...they don't NEED to...However, prayer in a group, whether being led by one or many, is a unifying experience.  I don't think you have to attend church to get to Heaven either...but still, regular church attendance is a constant reminder of what we are supposed to be living for.  It is a weekly "pick me up" that helps a Christian stay focused.  Saying or not saying prayers out loud is not going to change the world, but I will continue my right to free speech at a ball game.  I, as an individual, am within my rights to pray aloud in the stands...I will continue to do so no matter the consequences.

[quote name="ndn mom" post="1120088" timestamp="1321463818"]
You know what is really sad about all of this??? A bunch of grown adults want to get on here and whine about their rights to not have to listen to a prayer when the majority of the high school kids take it upon themselves to stand up and do it on their own before each game! I know for a fact that our players & cheerleaders pray before the games and I am pretty sure the Inidanettes do as well! Maybe we should all sit back and look at the example these kids are setting!
[/quote]

Very good point!

[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="1120105" timestamp="1321464702"]
[quote author=ndn mom link=topic=91617.msg1120088#msg1120088 date=1321463818]
[/quote]

Very good point!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!!!
Rephrase - I didn't read the post in its entirety. I'm all for praying wherever you want. But when you have somebody who is praying for YOUR kids safety and YOUR commute to and from the game then what is the big deal???? We as a nation have become extremely weak. There is no backbone anymore and if you pray over a PA system and piss 20 ppl off but the other 5K are glad that you are praying for everyones safety then oh well. It seems prayer has turned into more of a "convenience" for people when they are in a desperate situation.

[quote name="Purple Runs Deep" post="1120081" timestamp="1321463516"]
Why do prayers need to be spoken out loud? Is it less of a prayer if an individual keeps it to themselves?
[/quote]

ding ding ding... common sense prevails again..

[quote author=bulldog1984 link=topic=91617.msg1120065#msg1120065 date=1321462798]
Dog 27 your way off in your thinking, this is why our country is so screwed up because of people like you !! Just like most people here  they just want to have a simple prayer at a football game but noooo that might hurt someones feeling , get over it and dont listen to it. People have misinterpeted the constitution many times to fit what they believe it says and so has the Holy Bible . Our country is fallen apart because we are trying to please all the nay sayers instead of the majority.
[/quote]

Our country is screwed up because of "people like me?" Well pal, let me inform you of a few things. I don't ever bring this up to anyone, but since you wanna call me out Ill say it. For the past few years I have had 20-40 hours of community service each year. This is not mandated or required in any way by anyone. I just do it on my own. I have volunteered at special needs homes, disaster cleanups, soup kitchens, rehab centers, underprivileged youth centers, etc. I have never been arrested, heck I have never gotten a traffic ticket. I graduated near the top of my class, I went to college, got a degree, and I've worked a job ever since I was 16 years old.

So, if thats whats wrong with the world today, then I take full blame for being such a terrible person to society. I shouldve realized that instead of doing those things, I shouldve been praying. Then the world would be a better place. How stupid of me for not doing that.

Side note for your betterment: Dont attack someones character when you know nothing about them. It makes you look really dumb.

[quote name="ndn mom" post="1120088" timestamp="1321463818"]
[/quote]

And that is pretty much what the court rulings say. You can pray all you want and no one including the schools can deny you that right. As I mentioned in an earlier post, players or other groups can pray before the game alone or in groups all they want. A citizen can get a megaphone and say a prayer in the stands to his heart's content.

It makes me wonder when we who are Christians hear them announce a moment of silence, we can't pray without hearing it on the loud speaker. I always say a silent prayer during those moments of silence asking for everyone to return safe to their homes. I guess God isn't hearing me unless someone announces it on the PA system? I guess I need to break out the Bible and do some more reading......

[quote name="tvc184" post="1120178" timestamp="1321468379"]
[/quote]

And that is pretty much what the court rulings say. You can pray all you want and no one including the schools can deny you that right. As I mentioned in an earlier post, players or other groups can pray before the game alone or in groups all they want. A citizen can get a megaphone and say a prayer in the stands to his heart's content.

It makes me wonder when we who are Christians hear them announce a moment of silence, we can't pray without hearing it on the loud speaker. I always say a silent prayer during those moments of silence asking for everyone to return safe to their homes. I guess God isn't hearing me unless someone announces it on the PA system? I guess I need to break out the Bible and do some more reading......
[/quote]
Whats the freaking difference? Saying it over a PA system. Saying in a loud speaker. Saying it to yourself.  I'm missing the difference here.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1120156" timestamp="1321466501"]
[quote author=Purple Runs Deep link=topic=91617.msg1120081#msg1120081 date=1321463516]
[/quote]

ding ding ding... common sense prevails again..

[quote author=bulldog1984 link=topic=91617.msg1120065#msg1120065 date=1321462798]
[/quote]

Our country is screwed up because of "people like me?" Well pal, let me inform you of a few things. I don't ever bring this up to anyone, but since you wanna call me out Ill say it. For the past few years I have had 20-40 hours of community service each year. This is not mandated or required in any way by anyone. I just do it on my own. I have volunteered at special needs homes, disaster cleanups, soup kitchens, rehab centers, underprivileged youth centers, etc. I have never been arrested, heck I have never gotten a traffic ticket. I graduated near the top of my class, I went to college, got a degree, and I've worked a job ever since I was 16 years old.

So, if thats whats wrong with the world today, then I take full blame for being such a terrible person to society. I shouldve realized that instead of doing those things, I shouldve been praying. Then the world would be a better place. How stupid of me for not doing that.

Side note for your betterment: Dont attack someones character when you know nothing about them. It makes you look really dumb.
[/quote]

GoDogs27, I don't know you, but you sound like a fine person. I appreciate a person who does community service (especially without doing it for the public see).  It sounds like the only thing missing is a little bit of Jesus Christ in your life.  I hope you find Him one day.  I am not saying this to give you a hard time.  I am saying this because it is my job as a Christian to let you know that Jesus Christ is your Saviour.  I also think you sound like a good guy.

[quote name="baddog" post="1120225" timestamp="1321469879"]
I hate to be redundant but it seems I must. This is not about "prayer". It is about leverage/control.

The End.
[/quote]

You may be correct in your assessment, but why the need for leverage or control.  It is no different since the beginning of time.  Satan does what he can to turn people away from righteousness.  It's in the plan.

[quote name="vp32" post="1120186" timestamp="1321468618"]

Whats the freaking difference? Saying it over a PA system. Saying in a loud speaker. Saying it to yourself.  I'm missing the difference here.
[/quote]

It is like you praying in a classroom. You can do so all you want. What if your math teacher while in class breaks out in a prayer from the Book of Wisdom from the Catholic Bible that is not recognized in the Protestant religions? No big deal if you are a Baptist? What if that teacher is Muslim and breaks out in a verse from the Qur'an? No difference?

There is a big difference between you prayer with yourself and hearing it from a government entity. 

What is the difference? It is the law as ruled by several courts including the highest court in the land. You might not like the seat belt or speeding laws either but that doesn't stop a person from paying citations from them.

Everyone likes the Good Ol' Boy system as long as he is the Good Ol' Boy. Let someone else take that place and the system isn't so good anymore.

Be careful what you wish for on majority rules, which isn't what the Constitution was founded on. What about the many school districts that are a majority Spanish in Texas? Should teachers be allowed to pray in classrooms from the Catholic Bible and in Spanish? After all, majority rules and they are Christians.

Injuries, winner, losers.  No god in that.  No god in sports but if it makes your feel good and pious, continue.  I'll continue to not stand, not bow, and walk around during the fantasy portion of the ball game.....

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1120119" timestamp="1321465310"]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=91617.msg1120105#msg1120105 date=1321464702]
[/quote]

Very good point!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!!!
Rephrase - I didn't read the post in its entirety. I'm all for praying wherever you want. But when you have somebody who is praying for YOUR kids safety and YOUR commute to and from the game then what is the big deal???? We as a nation have become extremely weak. There is no backbone anymore and if you pray over a PA system and piss 20 ppl off but the other 5K are glad that you are praying for everyones safety then oh well. It seems prayer has turned into more of a "convenience" for people when they are in a desperate situation.
[/quote]
Maybe I wasn't completely clear either :) I am all for saying a prayer over the speaker at the game! I was saying that the kids are setting a better example than we are by stopping on the field taking a knee and bowing their heads in prayer because they want to and they don't care if it offends people!

Sorry to affend you dog 27, im sure your a good citizen but thats whats wrong with some people they think just because they are good citizens or just good people they will make it to heaven but i must tell you what Jesus Christ has to say about that... NO ONE IS GOOD  not one so all the things you think you do good he doesnt recongnize unless you accept him as your savior.. I think thats where your missing the point . Go Dogs  and keep praying !

[quote name="bulldog1984" post="1120341" timestamp="1321475488"]
Sorry to affend you dog 27, im sure your a good citizen but thats whats wrong with some people they think just because they are good citizens or just good people they will make it to heaven but i must tell you what Jesus Christ has to say about that... NO ONE IS GOOD  not one so all the things you think you do good he doesnt recongnize unless you accept him as your savior.. I think thats where your missing the point . Go Dogs  and keep praying !
[/quote]

I don't think in any of his post he ever said whether or not he was a Christian.... I think the only point he is arguing is having to listen to a prayer .... If I missed him declaring one way or another then oops ;-D

I think this argument is getting off the topic it started about.... but hey don't most LOL...

I will simply back out and say We will have to agree to disagree on this subject .... I have no ill feelings towards anyones believes or non believes... it is not my job to sit in judgment of anyone that believes differently than me.... I will continue with my believes and everyone else continue with yours....

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1120356" timestamp="1321476350"]
[quote author=bulldog1984 link=topic=91617.msg1120341#msg1120341 date=1321475488]
[/quote]

I don't think in any of his post he ever said whether or not he was a Christian.... I think the only point he is arguing is having to listen to a prayer .... If I missed him declaring one way or another then oops ;-D

I think this argument is getting off the topic it started about.... but hey don't most LOL...

I will simply back out and say We will have to agree to disagree on this subject .... I have no ill feelings towards anyones believes or non believes... it is not my job to sit in judgment of anyone that believes differently than me.... I will continue with my believes and everyone else continue with yours....
[/quote]

Not judging anyone...just spreading the word of Jesus...that's my job (all of our job).

[quote name="ndn mom" post="1120324" timestamp="1321474555"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=91617.msg1120119#msg1120119 date=1321465310]
[quote author=LumRaiderFan link=topic=91617.msg1120105#msg1120105 date=1321464702]
[/quote]

Very good point!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!!!
[/quote]
Maybe I wasn't completely clear either :) I am all for saying a prayer over the speaker at the game! I was saying that the kids are setting a better example than we are by stopping on the field taking a knee and bowing their heads in prayer because they want to and they don't care if it offends people!
[/quote]

OK....yep, I agree with you then! LOL  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder