CanineDog

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AirForceDad" post="1120660" timestamp="1321496455"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=91617.msg1119235#msg1119235 date=1321398314]
[size=10pt][b]In 2000 in a 6-3 vote the US Supreme Court in Santa Fe (TX) Independent School District v. Jane Doe [/b][/size]ruled that a policy "allowing" student led prayer over the PA system violates the Constitution.
[/quote]
[size=10pt][b]The current make up of the court would probaly dissagree with the 2000 court.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

I don't know. It was a 6-3 vote so you would need to swing two votes.

The majority vote in 2000 was Stevens, O'Connor, Kennedy, Souter, Ginsburg and Breyer. The dissent was Rehnquist, Scalia and Thomas.

Of the dissent, Thomas and Scalia are still there and Roberts replaced Rehnquist so no change in those votes.

O'Connor was replaced by Alito so that is likely a changed vote in favor of the dissent.

Still on the court from the 2000 ruling are Kennedy, Ginsburg and Breyer. That is three votes. Of the ones that retired, Stevens was replaced by Kagan so no change and Souter was replaced by Sotomayor so no change there either.

That leaves it at a 5-4 instead of a 6-3 vote but with the same outcome but a closer margin.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1121227" timestamp="1321564973"]
All points, cases and opinions have been well made. Lock this thread now and get back to the playoffs!!!!!!
[/quote]

I'm surprised that it has gone on this long without being locked down. If you don't like what's being stated, nobody is forcing you to read.
Personally, even though I don't agree with all postings, I've gotten alot of insight from them. It's good to step out of our comfort zone from time to time.

GO PIRATES!

[quote name="eyepatch" post="1121315" timestamp="1321572472"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=91617.msg1121227#msg1121227 date=1321564973]
All points, cases and opinions have been well made. Lock this thread now and get back to the playoffs!!!!!!
[/quote]

I'm surprised that it has gone on this long without being locked down. If you don't like what's being stated, nobody is forcing you to read.
Personally, even though I don't agree with all postings, I've gotten alot of insight from them. It's good to step out of our comfort zone from time to time.

GO PIRATES!
[/quote] Have no problem with anything being said. Everyone is entitled to believe/not believe what they want. Just sayin, this probally isn't the time and place for this discussion.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1121329" timestamp="1321573504"]
[quote author=eyepatch link=topic=91617.msg1121315#msg1121315 date=1321572472]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=91617.msg1121227#msg1121227 date=1321564973]
[/quote]

GO PIRATES!
[/quote] Have no problem with anything being said. Everyone is entitled to believe/not believe what they want. Just sayin, this probally isn't the time and place for this discussion.
[/quote]

It'll fizzle out soon. Friday's almost here. I'm beginning to here the fizzle already.

Thanks for the kind words CanineDog. I'm sure that you didn't intend for it to go in this direction.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed