Beasley is first straight toe kicker at WOS in more than decade

Goodness I was hoping someone would please call this technique by the correct name but that has yet to happen. This straight forward style of kicking is called "conventional". Where in the world did "straight toe" come from? That's terrible! Conventional kickers like Tom Dempsey (NFL record 63 yard FG) and Mark Mosely of Washington were two of the best ever at the technique. I can remember when they actually marked the difference between kickers when describing them on the pre-game shows, soccer style or conventional.

Whew! I feel so much better now that I have that off chest. You may now return to your regular scheduled activity. :)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Rake1" post="1095841" timestamp="1319733357"]
Goodness I was hoping someone would please call this technique by the correct name but that has yet to happen. This straight forward style of kicking is called "conventional". Where in the world did "straight toe" come from? That's terrible! Conventional kickers like Tom Dempsey (NFL record 63 yard FG) and Mark Mosely of Washington were two of the best ever at the technique. I can remember when they actually marked the difference between kickers when describing them on the pre-game shows, soccer style or conventional.

Whew! I feel so much better now that I have that off chest. You may now return to your regular scheduled activity. :)
[/quote]

Remember too about Tom Dempsey - his kicking foot was deformed.  I think I remember that he did not have fully developed toes on that foot; they were more like nubs.  And the shoe on his kicking foot was "square" across the front.  Research it before you use it in sports trivia. :D

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1095939" timestamp="1319739925"]
[quote author=Rake1 link=topic=90493.msg1095841#msg1095841 date=1319733357]

[/quote]

Remember too about Tom Dempsey - his kicking foot was deformed.  I think I remember that he did not have fully developed toes on that foot; they were more like nubs.  And the shoe on his kicking foot was "square" across the front.  [color=blue][b]Research it before you use it in sports[/b][/color] trivia. :D
[/quote]

Please oh please Tigersvoice let me know what I what I need to research!! You have to be kidding me, right? Dempsey kicked using the conventional style Yes or No? The answer would be "yes" genius, no need for further research. Demepsey was not called a "square toe kicker" so you are the one who needs some research. Yes, Dempsey did have a deformed foot but he still used the conventional style of kicking. Almost every kicker who kicked conventional style used the squared toe cleat so that's not a giant fact you have uncovered. Please enlighten us some more when you have something truly important to say. "Research it before you use it in sports trivia" well here you go brainiac. How about Russel Erxleben from the University of Texas who, for your information, shares the record for the longest field goal in NCAA history was a conventional style kicker and yes that means he wore a square toed cleat. Let's try "conventional kickers for 400.00 Alex". How about George Blanda, another one of those "square toe cleat wearing players". Blanda still holds NFL records. Shall we go on......??

Rake1

You missed one more inaccuracy Rake, enterprise said soccer style kicks with side of foot. That is wrong. We kick the ball on the laces of our shoe. Instead of a conventional kicking with the point of the foot, us soccer stylers use our whole foot.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder