Has WOS ever had a losing season record?

Paratrooper

[quote name="kicker" post="1066719" timestamp="1317059114"]
As a matter of fact, I have been told that when we, WOS, merged is when PNG started using the song. Chrokee was the WO Chiefs fight song. Could be wrong, but that is what I have been told numerous times. Something about that song that just sends chills down your spine. Maybe thats just me though. And its coach Thompsons fault. in 1997, the Monday before the game we were going to play on Friday, he had a boom box in the fieldhouse and literally played Cherokee over, and over, and over. This is no lie, ask him. And just when one side of the tape would finally run out, he would casually walk out of his office and flip it over and hit play.

oh, and both us and PNG were undefeated. Believe we were number 2 in state and they were 4 or 5.
[/quote]

The original fight song for West Orange was “Hail to the Victors” but Cherokee became the de facto fight song in the early 70’s. 

[quote name="wompaskat" post="1067395" timestamp="1317134522"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=88861.msg1066719#msg1066719 date=1317059114]
As a matter of fact, I have been told that when we, WOS, merged is when PNG started using the song. Chrokee was the WO Chiefs fight song. Could be wrong, but that is what I have been told numerous times. Something about that song that just sends chills down your spine. Maybe thats just me though. And its coach Thompsons fault. in 1997, the Monday before the game we were going to play on Friday, he had a boom box in the fieldhouse and literally played Cherokee over, and over, and over. This is no lie, ask him. And just when one side of the tape would finally run out, he would casually walk out of his office and flip it over and hit play.

oh, and both us and PNG were undefeated. Believe we were number 2 in state and they were 4 or 5.
[/quote]

The original fight song for West Orange was “Hail to the Victors” but Cherokee became the de facto fight song in the early 70’s.
[/quote]

That is correct. I asked my father. He has had the same exact season ticket seats since '71 when they were the Chiefs. He said it kind of caught on when they would play it from time to time and then "de facto"ed to it.

You have to admit, even if you were never a WO Chief or a PNG Indian, when they get that beat going where it's just the drums pounding, it gets you going... It always has for me, that beat is just nasty. When we would play PNG and they would play it half the guys on our sideline would be bouncing to the beat. 

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1067442" timestamp="1317137701"]
You have to admit, even if you were never a WO Chief or a PNG Indian, when they get that beat going where it's just the drums pounding, it gets you going... It always has for me, that beat is just nasty. When we would play PNG and they would play it half the guys on our sideline would be bouncing to the beat. 
[/quote]

I grew up going to Chiefs games, used to get in trouble for beating Cherokee on my desk at school. I loved it when we played PN-G!

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1067473" timestamp="1317140285"]
WO and LC...weren't they 2A back then?I remember making a couple of LC games when the high school was on Meeks drive.
[/quote]

West Orange was a 2A school until 1964 when it was bumped up to 3A where it stayed until it merged with Stark.

Little Cypress was a 2A school from 1958 until 1970 when it became Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1066722" timestamp="1317059349"]
[quote author=Paratrooper link=topic=88861.msg1066442#msg1066442 date=1317034010]
I think with the rich history of WOS they haven't ever had a losing season; however, not sure on that.  Does anyone know?
[/quote]

That is correct, 1983 is the only losing season the Mustangs have had.  And, much to your dismay, 2011 won't be the second.
[/quote]
I predict a 7-3 regular season. I don't see them loosing the rest of the way. Folks forget they lost to two good 4A programs on last second 2 point conversions and by 8 to a big strong Giddings team that is a 3A power year in and year out. No one they face the rest of the way will be as good.

[quote name="badndn" post="1067554" timestamp="1317143900"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=88861.msg1066722#msg1066722 date=1317059349]
[quote author=Paratrooper link=topic=88861.msg1066442#msg1066442 date=1317034010]
I think with the rich history of WOS they haven't ever had a losing season; however, not sure on that.  Does anyone know?
[/quote]

That is correct, 1983 is the only losing season the Mustangs have had.  And, much to your dismay, 2011 won't be the second.
[/quote]
I predict a 7-3 regular season. I don't see them loosing the rest of the way. Folks forget they lost to two good 4A programs on last second 2 point conversions and by 8 to a big strong Giddings team that is a 3A power year in and year out. No one they face the rest of the way will be as good.
[/quote]

I am thinking my Tigers will give the Stangs a run for their money. I think Silsbee has a serious chance of beating WOS.

We will see.

I honestly think Silsbee and BC both have a shot at beating WOS. But, I also believe that neither are as good as the teams that have beaten WOS. Nor do I think either have played anyone comparable to the teams that have beaten WOS (and won) with the exception of Newton and that maybe a stretch.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ProfessorMandela12
    Newest Member
    ProfessorMandela12