Nederland scrimmage 8-12

Many standouts for Nederland, Raines had complete control of the action on offense.  Obviously the game has slowed down for him, look for Carson to continue progressing, but he played like a seasoned qb today.  Benjamin ran very strong, he appears to have bulked up and not lost any of the burst he had last year.  Offensive line played well in general, they have work to do, but they gave Raines great protection and provided good run blocking.  Brett Brown is going to give people fits, he's a bull, in a football uniform, squeezed into a china closet. Shaw will make it tough to remember Salenga this year.  He toasted the defense on the first play of game situations, had the ball slip through his hands, but then caught one and outran the defense to the endzone, kid has a gear that most won't see.  Overall, impressive offensive performance for what was supposed to be the question mark of this team.  Next week will give a better picture of the true potential of this team.

Defensively, Nederland was about as solid as they've been in a VERY long time.  Not sure if Ball had a first down against the no. 1 defense.  GCM moved the ball the first series of game situation, but Nederland wound up holding them.  Pryor appeared to be a man among boys.  So many defenders flying around, it's tough to point out standouts, the defense should be something to watch this year.  Only weakness may be defensive depth, but that's probably an issue at most 4A schools.  Lots to be optimistic about, but I want to see us against Dayton, they should tell us what our potential is, but first impressions are Nederland has something going this year.

The entire front four was very impressive, as for the soph looks like they were trying to move a 260 pound anvil off the line of scrimmage, he was impressive.  Could be the best front 4 in the past decade, probably longer (2000?).  Just need to stay healthy.  Carr and Cuoron both logged time at TE... I know that's nice to hear.  I think folks are going to LOVE the new/old offense.  We moved from I, to pro, to spread, to two back with a slot rec... lots of formations, very crisp on offense.

1/2 and 1/2 Soulja, 10ish plays for the 1st team O and D, then two quarters of game conditions.  The soph TE did not play, he has some sort of injury?  But the soph split end played, and caught a nice go route for a TD with the 2nd team.  He has a combination of size and speed that is rare.

[quote name="Penny" post="1034524" timestamp="1313199473"]
1/2 and 1/2 Soulja, 10ish plays for the 1st team O and D, then two quarters of game conditions.  The soph TE did not play, he has some sort of injury?  But the soph split end played, and caught a nice go route for a TD with the 2nd team.  He has a combination of size and speed that is rare.
[/quote]Hmmm..  That's good to hear that Nederland shined on those teams.

Wood and Stampley both played the run very strong, and as the goat said, it had a lot to do with the front 4, Pryor and Malvo both require double teams.  The with Wood and Stampley who both run VERY well and are strong/aggressive, makes for a formidable defense in the middle.... and that's just the middle.

Something else I noticed,  I'm going to predict we run at least 3 kicks back for TD's this year.  Z. Taylor is a game breaker.

[quote name="Roughrider" post="1034564" timestamp="1313202259"]
[quote author=dawgnut link=topic=86620.msg1034561#msg1034561 date=1313202001]
Anybody have a clue when the Dayton scrimmage will be? I hope not at 1:00 on Friday >:(
[/quote]

Dayton scrimmage is next Thursday and I think a 7pm start time.
[/quote]

Thanks, I would like to go see this one, and its a lot cooler at 7:00

6 means that the freshmen and jv will scrimmage at 6, each utilizing half the field. That will go til about 7 or 7:15 depending on how much is accomplished. Then the varsities will warm up and play which will be more like 7:30 or 7:45. The fact that school doesn't start until next Monday means they're not worried about how late the finish is.

Last night's proposed 7 pm scrimmage against Spring didn't get started until 8 pm.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder