Could Silsbee lose Williams and Brooks?

[quote name="sleepy" post="1024206" timestamp="1310559876"]
Beaumont Enterprise shows Williams is an applicant for Boys job at PAM and shows Brooks is applicant for Girls head job at PAM?  [b]Where will Silsbee go if this happens[/b]?
[/quote]

That would be a very big blow to the program. This is a tough situation for Ira. He could be named the girls coach at the same time as Travis being named the boys coach at PAM. Would he say no in order to be in position to take the Silsbee boys job? Tough deal.

As for Travis, Silsbee would miss him dearly, but you cannot expect him to not try and get jobs of that magnitude. I want Travis to stay, but I also want Travis to be happy and do what's best for him. The Silsbee basketball job can be a "end all, be all" job for some, but not for others. I always knew that Travis wants to coach at bigger schools and knew that some day he would move on. I wish him and Ira all the best in whatever and wherever they go. But for selfish reasons, I want them to stay right here at Silsbee!

As for where would Silsbee go, I truly believe that a multitude of very well qualified and good coaches would apply. I believe the Tiger Basketball program would just roll on!

[quote name="sleepy" post="1024258" timestamp="1310569555"]
I have no doubts silsbee would be fine and find a great coach.  I was just wanting some opinions or insights on if anyone knew if they were gonna leave or not.
[/quote]

I have been told from several sources that Travis is the frontrunner for the PAM job. But, that doesn't mean he will get it. As for Ira and the girls job, haven't heard much on that front. I should know something tomorrow afternoon when I go up to the Silsbee gym for the first day of the tourney.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1024288" timestamp="1310574838"]
LeBlanc would be a better choice than Brooks for the girls job. She has played college basketball at LSU and is from Port Arthur. To my knowledge Brooks has never coached girls before.
[/quote]

There are a lot of good coaches who didnt play college basketball.  If you understand the game and get along well with students, it shouldnt matter if the team is male or female.  If I understand things correctly, Hamshire Fannet just hired a girls coach for the boys team.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1024290" timestamp="1310575391"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=85685.msg1024288#msg1024288 date=1310574838]
LeBlanc would be a better choice than Brooks for the girls job. She has played college basketball at LSU and is from Port Arthur. To my knowledge Brooks has never coached girls before.
[/quote]

There are a lot of good coaches who didnt play college basketball.  If you understand the game and get along well with students, it shouldnt matter if the team is male or female.  If I understand things correctly, Hamshire Fannet just hired a girls coach for the boys team.
[/quote]

Yeah, at Hamshire-Fannett. The basketball Mecca of the world.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1024297" timestamp="1310577693"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=85685.msg1024290#msg1024290 date=1310575391]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=85685.msg1024288#msg1024288 date=1310574838]
[/quote]

There are a lot of good coaches who didnt play college basketball.  If you understand the game and get along well with students, it shouldnt matter if the team is male or female.  If I understand things correctly, Hamshire Fannet just hired a girls coach for the boys team.
[/quote]

There are plenty of instances where a "less than successful" program became a successful one with the right coach.  What I am suggesting to you is that Mr. Brooks is a very good coach and can handle a boys or girls job.  I have personal knowledge of a situation where a new coach (without prior head coaching experience) took a program from 2-26 to two consecutive district championships and a regional appearance in his first two years.  One year after that, the team played in the state final.  The school had an outstanding football reputation and was laughed at in basketball.  
[/quote]

There are plenty of instances where a "less than successful" program became a successful one with the right coach.  What I am suggesting to you is that Mr. Brooks is a very good coach and can handle a boys or girls job.  I have personal knowledge of a situation where a new coach (without prior head coaching experience) took a program from 2-26 to two consecutive district championships and a regional appearance in his first two years.  One year after that, the team played in the state final.  The school had an outstanding football reputation and was laughed at in basketball. 

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="stevenash" post="1024360" timestamp="1310588388"]
If you are thinking of the one I think you are thinking of, I would have to say he is fairly competent in his field.
[/quote]

For those of us that are too close to this situation pm us (me) and tell me who you guys are thinking of. ???

[quote name="stevenash" post="1024298" timestamp="1310578088"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=85685.msg1024297#msg1024297 date=1310577693]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=85685.msg1024290#msg1024290 date=1310575391]
[/quote]

There are a lot of good coaches who didnt play college basketball.  If you understand the game and get along well with students, it shouldnt matter if the team is male or female.  If I understand things correctly, Hamshire Fannet just hired a girls coach for the boys team.
[/quote]

There are plenty of instances where a "less than successful" program became a successful one with the right coach.  What I am suggesting to you is that Mr. Brooks is a very good coach and can handle a boys or girls job.  I have personal knowledge of a situation where a new coach (without prior head coaching experience) took a program from 2-26 to two consecutive district championships and a regional appearance in his first two years.  One year after that, the team played in the state final.  The school had an outstanding football reputation and was laughed at in basketball.  
[/quote]

There are plenty of instances where a "less than successful" program became a successful one with the right coach.  What I am suggesting to you is that Mr. Brooks is a very good coach and can handle a boys or girls job.  I have personal knowledge of a situation where a new coach (without prior head coaching experience) took a program from 2-26 to two consecutive district championships and a regional appearance in his first two years.  One year after that, the team played in the state final.  The school had an outstanding football reputation and was laughed at in basketball. 

[/quote]

Sounds like the story of Nederland basketball. A joke for years. Just won back- to- back District Titles. Appearance at Regionals. Next step-State Tourney Baby!!!

[quote name="Malcolm X" post="1024453" timestamp="1310606030"]
T. Williams getting his 5 assistant now. Soon as he find his guys he's gone. Silsbee job, Nash or Josh Hancock will be the next coach. By the way New Waverly's Goofney  will be taking the Longviee job!!
[/quote]
"Goofney"...I hope that is a fat-fingered typo because Goffney is an excellent coach & a great guy.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Malcolm X" post="1024453" timestamp="1310606030"]
T. Williams getting his 5 assistant now. Soon as he find his guys he's gone. Silsbee job, Nash or Josh Hancock will be the next coach. By the way New Waverly's Goofney  will be taking the Longviee job!!
[/quote]

You guys are breaking my heart with all this Travis moving stuff!!  >:( :(

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1024683" timestamp="1310662820"]
If Silsbee doesn't promote Brooks it better be because they are bringing in Duane Joubert
[/quote]

Brooks is not yet certified. Could be promoted under the "emergency" certified label.

I expect Silsbee to open the job to outside applicants and I fully expect Joubert to apply. ;)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1024686" timestamp="1310663003"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=85685.msg1024683#msg1024683 date=1310662820]
If Silsbee doesn't promote Brooks it better be because they are bringing in Duane Joubert
[/quote]

What about the other assistant who sat in for Travis during his health issues last year?
[/quote]

James Collins is not certified.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder