WO-S SHOULD Release List Of Applicants

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, buddy, this is going to become a very controversial issue. I see it on the wall. Rumors are going to start flying about corruption, race, ethics, you name it. I wish this wouldnt have happened but Im afraid its already too late. I agree with WOCCISD following rules and regulations on this matter, but dont agree with the secrecy and no information, when the public was told it was going to be a "Transparent" process. This has been the exact opposite and believe this is going to cause ireparable tax payer vs. district damage.

OK this post will tick alot of you off but I dont care. First, what does it matter? Even if you know the names it dont control who they wil hire. So what if tony dungy applied? What does that line have any revelance? People have no patience on something they have not a single bit of control over. And what good does it do for one media outlet to get the list? Its only to say  the dumbest lines on tv or in print ever, "you saw it here first". Mommy is so proud.
Why does this happen every single time? Thete is a process in place. Let the peopke do their jobs and remember if you dont lije it, get out and vote instead of crying over a keyboard that the big bully superintwndent let you know the applicants. Stop and consider what could happen to a coach whose named is leaked to be interested in another job. Now his school feels disrespected but he didnt even make it to be a finalist. now he possibly loses out on both. Just because some outside media or people in the media truly only doing this to feel important for 10 minutes. Do what you were hired to do Mr. Colbert, make the tough decisions for the district and not worry about pleasing those who really dont know why they are crying

sOrry for typos. On my droid. Basicallt stop crying people. And when one media site gets the list, we all have it within an hour so thats not worth being so dumb about this. Did anyone put in for san augustines spot? Doubt it. But now Iwanna be first, I heard espn going to hire the person who gets it, its that darn important. I said same things about png job and was called a homer, now what?

Everyone who would be involved in this decision is payed with tax dollars.  So, yes they can legally. 

[quote name="Ska_Doobie_1" post="998648" timestamp="1303019316"]
Can they even legally release the names of all the coaches that applied?  There may be circumstances where the coaches may be employed with another district and this may not look good if it is a known fact they are seeking employment elsewhere.  Just a thought.
[/quote]

[quote name="Scooter!" post="998375" timestamp="1302969184"]
I 100% agree with this statement--------->"Withholding names may be how they do things in Tennessee, where WO-C ISD Superintendent James Colbert came from. [b]But Colbert should remember that he's in Texas now[/b]."

[/quote]

I think that is a tacky statement by the no surprise Enterprise. Colbert is from Texas and has worked many years in Texas education. The Enterprise is known for bashing and bullying so who cares what they think. If the Leader (a local paper) has something to say, I’ll pay attention.

First of all, I could give a rat's rear end who "reports it first."  I'll gladly read it off of website of the Leader, KOGT, the News, the Enterprise, KFDM, KBMT, KBTV, KJAC, KLVI, KSET, the PTA or the USO.   That is a hill of beans to me.  That may be a concern of Mr. Henry's but that is not mine.  My concern, or I guess I should now use the term "cry" is that at this point NOBODY knows.  

Nobody knows these candidates even though I have been told by one of the members of the committee that there are "several" that are more qualified than the fan favorite and, admittedly, a favorite of mine.  Nobody knows the candidates in search where the motives of the committee have been questioned, and reasonably so......and not just by those who have decided to air views here in open forum.   There are many amongst the taxpayers who pay Mr. Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of this head coach and athletic direcotr who question the actions to date of this committee.  I have relayed my concerns to Mr. Colbert using my full name and have talked to a member of the committee (although I must say that all I took away from that conversation is that committee member's fondness for the phrase "listen and learn").  

Next, this new found sensitivity to the coaching applicants.  Assistant (and even head) coaches applying for positions at others jobs is as age old as the game itself.  Many athletic directors expect it, some encourage it.  Some of the coaches who do so WANT their current district to know...for example when Nederland's Larry Neumann applied for the head coach position at La Marque a few years back.  Do school districts really feel disrespected when coaches in their district apply for other jobs?  Coach Mike Long has found his name in many such published lists and as of last report, he is still at Kelly.  Coach Troy Bolton who as an assistant at LC-M has likewise been on such lists and, according to a questionnaire I hold in my hand filled out by LC-M Athletic Director Randy Crouch, he is still employed by the LC-M CISD.  I find it of note that neither Superintendent Pauline Hargrave of LCMCISD nor Superintendent Phillip Welch of Orangefield ISD saw any problem with immediately releasing the list of applicants the last time an Orange County football head coaching/athletic director position was open.  I guess they were just plain insensitive for feeling that informing the taxpayer public was their duty as heads of their respective school districts.  The excuse that this list is being withheld to protect the applicants is as empty as Mr. Colbert's promise of a transparent process stands at this point.  

As to other schools...I think San Augustine was mentioned (although let take this moment to congratulate Coach Hubbard, who managed to escape from George Ranch, where coaches have been known to turn up dead)...well, sorry, I didn't graduate from San Augustine High School, I don't have parents who are residents of that school district and relatives who currently attend that school district so my interest in the Wolves' head coaching position, aside from my tasks here on the site, is limited.

If I have a grievance with a process or actions, I will air it using as a shield the very amendment to the U.S. Constitution which allows newspaper editors and reporters, and for that matter any member of the media, to earn a living without fear of reprisal from our governing bodies.  If you find my grievances mislaid, you are perfectly entitled by the same amendment to say so.  Further, people are by no means compelled to read my rubbish if they term it so.  As the standard practice of reading in the civilized world is left to right, that means the first thing you will see is my user name.  For purposes of this issue, you can for the time being assume that every time you see my user name, it will be a post critical of the actions of Mr. Colbert and/or his committee and if that in some way offends, feel free to immediately scroll down to the next post as I know full well why I am "crying."

[quote name="Gabe" post="998650" timestamp="1303020419"]
OK this post will tick alot of you off but I dont care. First, what does it matter? [b]Even if you know the names it dont control who they wil hire.[/b] So what if tony dungy applied? What does that line have any revelance? [b]People have no patience on something they have not a single bit of control over.[/b] And what good does it do for one media outlet to get the list? Its only to say  the dumbest lines on tv or in print ever, "you saw it here first". Mommy is so proud.
Why does this happen every single time? Thete is a process in place. Let the peopke do their jobs and remember if you dont lije it, get out and vote instead of crying over a keyboard that the big bully superintwndent let you know the applicants. Stop and consider what could happen to a coach whose named is leaked to be interested in another job. Now his school feels disrespected but he didnt even make it to be a finalist. now he possibly loses out on both. Just because some outside media or people in the media truly only doing this to feel important for 10 minutes. Do what you were hired to do Mr. Colbert, make the tough decisions for the district and not worry about pleasing those who really dont know why they are crying
[/quote]

I would expect a little different take on this from you.  There are countless things that go on that we have no control over but would like more information on.  For example a trial and the jury's verdict.  No, there is nothing we can do about it and there is a process in place.  However, it may be something that hits clost to home and we want to know if the process was followed correctly and use that information to help make up our own mind if the verdict was a victory or an injustice.  Therefore we can get out and vote for a different judge, law changes etc. if we feel the need to do so.  So yes, we would like the media to report it, otherwise the media doesn't serve much of a purpose.  

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="998671" timestamp="1303047947"]
First of all, I could give a rat's rear end who "reports it first."  I'll gladly read it off of website of the Leader, KOGT, the News, the Enterprise, KFDM, KBMT, KBTV, KJAC, KLVI, KSET, the PTA or the USO.   That is a hill of beans to me.  That may be a concern of Mr. Henry's but that is not mine.  My concern, or I guess I should now use the term "cry" is that at this point NOBODY knows.  

Nobody knows these candidates even though I have been told by one of the members of the committee that there are "several" that are more qualified than the fan favorite and, admittedly, a favorite of mine.  Nobody knows the candidates in search where the motives of the committee have been questioned, and reasonably so......and not just by those who have decided to air views here in open forum.   There are many amongst the taxpayers who pay Mr. Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of this head coach and athletic direcotr who question the actions to date of this committee.  I have relayed my concerns to Mr. Colbert using my full name and have talked to a member of the committee (although I must say that all I took away from that conversation is that committee member's fondness for the phrase "listen and learn").  

Next, this new found sensitivity to the coaching applicants.  Assistant (and even head) coaches applying for positions at others jobs is as age old as the game itself.  Many athletic directors expect it, some encourage it.  Some of the coaches who do so WANT their current district to know...for example when Nederland's Larry Neumann applied for the head coach position at La Marque a few years back.  Do school districts really feel disrespected when coaches in their district apply for other jobs?  Coach Mike Long has found his name in many such published lists and as of last report, he is still at Kelly.  Coach Troy Bolton who as an assistant at LC-M has likewise been on such lists and, according to a questionnaire I hold in my hand filled out by LC-M Athletic Director Randy Crouch, he is still employed by the LC-M CISD.  I find it of note that neither Superintendent Pauline Hargrave of LCMCISD nor Superintendent Phillip Welch of Orangefield ISD saw any problem with immediately releasing the list of applicants the last time an Orange County football head coaching/athletic director position was open.  I guess they were just plain insensitive for feeling that informing the taxpayer public was their duty as heads of their respective school districts.  The excuse that this list is being withheld to protect the applicants is as empty as Mr. Colbert's promise of a transparent process stands at this point.  

As to other schools...I think San Augustine was mentioned (although let take this moment to congratulate Coach Hubbard, who managed to escape from George Ranch, where coaches have been known to turn up dead)...well, sorry, I didn't graduate from San Augustine High School, I don't have parents who are residents of that school district and relatives who currently attend that school district so my interest in the Wolves' head coaching position, aside from my tasks here on the site, is limited.

If I have a grievance with a process or actions, I will air it using as a shield the very amendment to the U.S. Constitution which allows newspaper editors and reporters, and for that matter any member of the media, to earn a living without fear of reprisal from our governing bodies.  If you find my grievances mislaid, you are perfectly entitled by the same amendment to say so.  Further, people are by no means compelled to read my rubbish if they term it so.  As the standard practice of reading in the civilized world is left to right, that means the first thing you will see is my user name.  For purposes of this issue, you can for the time being assume that every time you see my user name, it will be a post critical of the actions of Mr. Colbert and/or his committee and if that in some way offends, feel free to immediately scroll down to the next post as I know full well why I am "crying."
[/quote]

AMEN, Grad, AMEN!!!!!

Excellant post.

And on further recollection, it would be hypocritical for me to weigh in heavily yet not reveal what I have learned.

I understand that at least three candidates were sought out by the Colbert Committee.  Those three are 1) , as well as Tyler Lee; 2) Hiawatha Hickman, current defensive coordinator at Silsbee and 3) M.K. Hamilton, head coach at New Waverly.  I know that Coach Hickman declined to submit applications which going as far to endorse Cornel Thompson for the head coaching position at West Orange-Stark.  I do not know whether Coach Hamilton submitted one.

There is a fourth potential candidate that was rumored to contacted as well, but I have no source close enough to this candidate to determine the reliability of the report.

Things are certainly beginning to smell fishy. If this is a very sought after HCAD job, as reported, then why in the world is a comittee(that was repordadly formed to get the publics opinions) contacting coaches? In my opinion, this is recruitment. After all I have said, I am starting to lean towards grad's take on this. Something Is NOT right. All the "contacted" coaches have a common denominator that has NOTHING to do with ability. If the speculation I have learned is true, then that is down right wrong. It has come to rumor(and i use that lightly) that this "comittee" was formed in order to find reasons NOT to give the job to Thompson. If that is true, then all the once again, "rumors" of the great new leadership is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. This is starting to look like a personal agenda rather than a "TRANSPARENT" fair process. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am now officially worried, negating my previous posts. I really hope I have put my foot in my mouth. Trust me, this is the one time I pray that I am wrong.

[quote name="kicker" post="998740" timestamp="1303064391"]
Trust me, this is the one time I pray that I am wrong.
[/quote]

Me, too, kicker.  Me, too.

And let me be clear, I am certainly not looking for disciples to my point of view.  I post because I feel strongly about this.  If you feel that strongly as well, then get involved.  Research, to the extent you can, the issue.  

Call the committee members who have given their numbers, e-mail the superintendent about your views, his email is address is on the school district website.  Folks who have a stake or just an opinion should be doing this whether or not they agree with my assessment of the committee or my views on what the result would be.  

At the end of the process which statement from the new superintendent would sound like a superintendant to lead WOC into the future? Not to mention the most credible statement supporting the new AD.

[i]“After carefully reviewing both district applicants and considering the public opinion I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”

“After careful review of all of the qualified candidates from the state of Texas I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”[/i]
One thing is for certain, after he weathers this storm he should have smooth sailing (providing he makes the right choice) because there will be nowhere near the interest or scrutiny in future topics; such as layoffs, budget, principal selections, test scores, etc, you know, the less important topics.

I’m not a Colbert supporter but I will be patient and give him a legitimate chance to lead the way before calling for his head.

[quote name="mat" post="998755" timestamp="1303067729"]
At the end of the process which statement from the new superintendent would sound like a superintendant to lead WOC into the future? Not to mention the most credible statement supporting the new AD.

[i]“After carefully reviewing both district applicants and considering the public opinion I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”

“After careful review of all of the qualified candidates from the state of Texas I recommend Cornell Thompson for the AD position for WOC”[/i]
One thing is for certain, after he weathers this storm he should have smooth sailing (providing he makes the right choice) because there will be nowhere near the interest or scrutiny in future topics; such as layoffs, budget, principal selections, test scores, etc, you know, the less important topics.

I’m not a Colbert supporter but I will be patient and give him a legitimate chance to lead the way before calling for his head.
[/quote]
Sounds good.  BTW, the "less important" academic and political topics you referred to can and should be approached with high interest, as well, but for now let's keep to the topic at hand.  

No one is calling for Colbert's head.  The louder outcries on this thread are calling for 1) the TRANSPARENCY that Colbert himself has promised and 2) legitimate scrutiny on the apparent "recruitment" of candidates for the WO-S AD/HC position.  

[quote name="mat" post="998755" timestamp="1303067729"]

[/quote]
Neither, this would be the wording of that statement:

[i]President Amy and ladies and gentlemen of the school board, the job of athletic director of the WO-C CISD and and football coach at West Orange-Stark High School was a very sought after position. In opening the application process to the public, we received the applications of ___ individuals who possessed the desire and confidence to help guide our children in their education here in the WO-C CISD.  I authorized the release of this list of applicant so that the parents and taxpayers of this district could see for themselves the high quality of the individuals who wished so much to join their community that they have engaged in this application process.  This was an important decision and in doing so carefully considered the qualifications of the applicants. I also sought input from the residents of the WO-C CISD, alumni of West Orange-Stark High School and the coaching fraternity.  After doing so, I am confident that we have best individual to guide our athletic program into the future.  Ladies and gentlemen of the school board, I recommend Cornel Thompson to be the next athletic director for the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District and the next head football coach at West Orange-Stark High School.[/i]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder