Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mat" post="997790" timestamp="1302889640"]
Man, this is one fast moving thread. While I agree with all of you on who should get the job I also agree with TD and WOC on their process. I really don’t have a dog in the hunt but I too want what’s best for WOS.

Everyone has been waiting for a new superintendent to take control and bring WOC out of it’s troubled past. He is brand new to the district and has to make maybe one of toughest decisions of his career and you all expect him make it based solely on the popular want of the community? A real leader will put together whatever process he needs to evaluate candidates so he can make a decision he is 100% confident in. Of course he keeps an open ear to all that everyone has to say but in the end he has to KNOW who is best for the job, not just take someone’s opinion. By the same token he should not let any critics (if there area any) sway his decision. In the end I’m sure we will all be happy with the results. If not, I’ll figure out how to take my foot out of my mouth.

BTW – can you imagine the quality of applicants that have probably shown interest in the WOS AD job?

[/quote]

Imagine is all I can do as the only two candidates that I know of are Coach Thompson and Coach Foreman.

To those who have faith on April 26th that the result will turn out, as is nearly unanimously believed on this board and overwhelmingly in most other circles, the right thing and will withhold judgment until proven otherwise, I appreciate your patience.  Yours is at a level that I can only pursue knowing full well I will never achieve (for clarity sake, the paragraph was one of sincerity, not condescention).

However, when I actions occur that indicate that not only a road away from the prudent choice but a road toward an ideological goal that if attempted by others would certainly draw an investigation from EEOC and the U.S. Department of Justice, my poor mind simply can't obtain that level of discretion.

I still think that everyone is getting a little too upset about all this. I really think that Thompson had the job even before hooks retired. I just think that our new Super. is trying to show everyone in WOCCISD that rules and regulations will be followed. We needed someone like this that does the right thing no matter of any opinions. We need that leadership. Our district has been in too much turmoil since Super. Jeffries left(about 2000 0r '01 I believe) and needs to put all the pieces back together. Think about it guys...who in their right mind would come to a school, become the new Super who is supposed to fix problems, where the football program is NATIONALY known and try to blindside the taxpayers. Serioulsly. Anyone with intellegence would know who gets the job. We all need to take a deep breath and let the process, which is correct, take place. Im with TD and his logic, At first I was being subjective, Now im objective and realizing that the only thing that matters is the end result. Ive always been told that if you cant do anything to change a situation, just PRAY. lol.

Disclaimer.....Ive already figured out how to pull my foot out of my mouth.

[quote name="kicker" post="998108" timestamp="1302918956"]
I still think that everyone is getting a little too upset about all this. I really think that Thompson had the job even before hooks retired. I just think that our new Super. is trying to show everyone in WOCCISD that rules and regulations will be followed. We needed someone like this that does the right thing no matter of any opinions. We need that leadership. Our district has been in too much turmoil since Super. Jeffries left(about 2000 0r '01 I believe) and needs to put all the pieces back together. Think about it guys...who in their right mind would come to a school, become the new Super who is supposed to fix problems, where the football program is NATIONALLY known and try to blindside the taxpayers. Serioulsly. Anyone with intellegence would know who gets the job. We all need to take a deep breath and let the process, which is correct, take place. Im with TD and his logic, At first I was being subjective, Now im objective and realizing that the only thing that matters is the end result. Ive always been told that if you cant do anything to change a situation, just PRAY. lol.

Disclaimer.....Ive already figured out how to pull my foot out of my mouth.
[/quote]San Augustine fired a head coach AFTER he won state. Anything can happen.

[quote name="td" post="997646" timestamp="1302877147"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=82860.msg997493#msg997493 date=1302821219]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=82860.msg997483#msg997483 date=1302819664]
[quote author=td link=topic=82860.msg997326#msg997326 date=1302799897]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997278#msg997278 date=1302794035]
And td, it shouldn't be left to rumor.  Those taxpayers and patrons of Mustangs games, who pay Colbert's salary and will pay the salary of the new coach, have a perfect right to know who this committee is considering as the athletic director of this school district.  The rumors are flying because this committee has made NOTHING known.  Tho public has been given nothing to judge and see whether this committee has chosen the best candidate.

I'll say this about Erick Guillory, I think he is a snake that is in on this, but at least he been willing to interact with the public on the matter. However, the committee as a whole has failed to act with the "transparency" that was promised by Mr. Colbert.  Until that changes, they themselves are fostering the belief that this is not on the up and up.  
[/quote]

There is a lot in your statement that I absolutely agree with. I think it would be nice to know who the candidates are also. It's times like this that I feel compelled to hold my tongue just because I'm running for the school board. However, that's not my style. Never has been, never will be. You having a RIGHT to know is absurd. Our only rights are found under the FOI act and no one is begrudging us that. That's like telling a cop he can't give you a ticket because you pay his salary. The public votes on the board, the board hires the Super, he recommends the AD then the board has to approve that decision. What you are wanting to do is micro-manage and that's never a good idea. Don't take what I'm saying as being on a different page as most of yall on here. I just think sometimes we think we are owed more than what we really are. We hire people to do a job. Let's let them do that job. If something is not on the up and up then there is a committee to stop it and if that doesn't happen then there is yet another line of defense and that is the school board that can also stop it. I understand the lack of confidence in the school board but if this thing goes in a different direction than we are all thinking, then there will be not only the Super, but the committee and the school board to hold accountable.

[/quote]

Place this post in bold letters and delete all the rest in this thread.  

[/quote]

Well T, you and I usually agree on most things. Even now, I agree with everything you say. I don't feel like it's my "right" to know. However, when Colbert tells the media about this being a "transparent" process, then it turns out to be anything but that. It's going to give people cause for concern.

[/quote]

Let me play devils advocate. What if there is a candidate that has asked that his name not be revealed? Maybe this is the reason that the names aren't being released. I'm not saying that's the reason I'm asking you to think outside of the bo and not crucify the Super when there may be another reason. Personally I don't know. What I don't want to hapen is that in the end. Coach T does get this job and then you have put out a bunch of negative statements that are not built around facts and then you have to live with that. No apolgy will be acceptable at that point. I'm just asking that we give the process a chance. You can choose to believe the rumors and the whispers if you want to. At the end of the day all we can do is give our opinion to the board members and the committee members. Spewing negativity on a message board doesn't Add anything to this process and only does damage to our district. My only goal is to stop the negativity.
[/quote]

Sounds like a very good approach for future board member.

Well, when media starts questioning the handling of things, that tells me a whole lot.

Most, if not all, here agree as to what the proper result of this search would be, that Cornel Thompson should be the next head coach of the West Orange-Stark Mustangs football team and the next athletic director of the WOCCISD.  

The form or structure of how they reach that goal is of no concern to me.  Whether a committee or superintendent makes the recommendation doesn't matter to me.  Both methods have been used so widespread that it is six one way, half a dozen another as far as I am concerned.

Whether or not they post the position for applications from those outside of the school district, doesn't mean a hill of beans as far as I am concerned.  It is so much custom to do so that I was sure that the custom was driven by some provision of the Texas Education Code and found myself to be quite surprised upon finding that it was not.  It is not out of the ordinary to do so. Thus, I have no problem with it being done here.

My concerns are with the actions of the committee.  Despite setting the procedure for applications, the committee has in at least 3 instances (and a rumored possible 4) sought to recruit candidates who for whatever reason did not desire the position to submit and application of their own volition DESPITE the fact that this position was publicly posted!  Having researched these candidates, I can tell you that they share but one trait.  That trait by the way is to forward an ideological goal that Mr. Colbert had expressed in the recent past.  The third name that I heard and the rumored 4th, I find to be barely in the "desirable" category and would, quite frankly, cause snickers and giggles.  They certainly do not rise to the level of "excellent".  None of those recruited most assuredly should not be given consideration over Cornel Thompson.

Now, as I have previously stated, I may very well be wrong about where this search appears to be headed.  And if so, I will never be so happy to scrape egg from my face and pull both feet out of my big mouth if so only to eat the crow that awaits me.  And by quite the opposite if what I view IS actually the path that this committee and ultimately the school board is taking, I will find absolutely no pleasure at all.

But until that time or someone can adequately show me that what I am seeing is really not what I am seeing, I will keep telling folks what I am seeing.

BTW, this just as a issue of full disclosure. While I don't know that Mr. Colbert has read the threads or posts here, I know as a certainty that he has been made aware of them.  As in my conversation with Mr. Guillory, I came away with the impression that the committee was not aware of the degree of support for Coach Thompson, I emailed him the links to threads here involving the WO-S coaching situation.

While, I did identify myself, I identified the proper name of no others.  I just wanted to let everyone know just in case there are those who want to frame their words depending on who may be watching.

You mean to tell me that Mr. Colbert didnt know about SETXsports?????  Well....Thats cause to relieve him of his job duties right there! :D

Run a school district in the Golden Triangle and not know about SETXsports......Shame on him. :-[ :D 

I joke about this...but I do feel for WOS.  I hope that the right choice is made and that it calms down over there.

We shall see. I hope and pray that thomson gets the job. Ive noticed many people on here talking about Toby. As to my understanding, Toby puuled his name out of the hat. So that means Thompson vs. who knows. The one thing that is striking me with question is why the comitee searched for , or recruited coaches to become a part of the interviewing. How many other schools have ever done this? I thought the point of the comittee was to get the publics feedback, not to recruit candidates. ???

If the right choice is not made then WOS althgether will not be the same.  LCM and Coach Crouch could be your next football powerhouse in SETX and the enrollment at LCM could jump way up, but more importantly those who already question Colbert's motivates will know for sure what his agenda is and will be for the future.  This could be a turning point for his future as the super as well.  Just sayin  ::)

[quote name="sportsfreak2008" post="998770" timestamp="1303072240"]
If the right choice is not made then WOS althgether will not be the same.  LCM and Coach Crouch could be your next football powerhouse in SETX and the enrollment at LCM could jump way up, but more importantly those who already question Colbert's motivates will know for sure what his agenda is and will be for the future.  This could be a turning point for his future as the super as well.  Just sayin  ::)
[/quote]

No, your not "Just sayin". Your telling the truth. What you say is absolutly correct!

Hey guys, been reading this thread with interest. Let me start off by saying I've served on a coach committee and although I don't live in WOS I do pay taxes there and have a lot of contact with the players.

First- Half of what's guessed on the boards is not true.  ;D
Second- After the committee gives the recommendation, the supt decides and gives the board the right to turn it down. This will give you a chance to vote on the board (not the supt).
Third- As a patron of a neighboring district that has faced WOS for years, I can't see the decision. If the supt. doesn't select C. T. he must not have long term plans for this area.

I think committee members and board members read this board...I did. I've known Cornell for years and he's never disgraced WOS in any manner that I know of. Further, most of his players are a pleasure to work with, they say Sir and answer your questions with eye contact. That comes from discipline and confidence. Should be a slam dunk.

[quote name="sportsfreak2008" post="998770" timestamp="1303072240"]
[/quote]
LCM and Crouch the next SETX FOOTBALL POWERHOUSE?  Wow.

You guys are really pathetic. The statements are laughable. Now Lcm is going to be a powerhouse because of some mass exitous from Wos because they would be upset cause Thompson didn't get the job lol. Most of these players didn't like to play for Crouch when he was at Wos, they sure aren't going to follow him to a losing team. These kids grew up dreaming of being a Mustang. I can assure you that many players have been asked about this and most say the same thing and that is they don't care who the coach is,they just want to play ball. So these statements you are making
are totally ridiculous and wishful thinking. If
anything, alot of players might come back.
 Another thing, intimidation tactics no longer
work in this country, it just pisses people off and
it would end up hurting your candidate instead of
helping. Calling committee members and stating
me and other former Mustang's are keeping an eye on folks like you who obviously have a hidden agenda. Todd Broussard are you serious?  Is that yoa threat and who is folks like you?  Yes I called you out. Your gonna say something like this over the phone loud enough for this persons child to hear who's also a mustang player, then your gonna turn around and text this b.s. some of you are losing your minds and if coach T doesn't get the job, you can blame your self.  Kerry you participate in this foolishness, but when your talking to the committee members your totally different. Your in the media, you should know better then involving yourself in these intimidation tactics.  People calling other candidates, trying to intimidate them telling them to drop out is just wrong.  Most of you who are ranting don't even live in this area anymore so you can't do anything about any decision that is made other than cry like some little wimps ...grow up.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="998889" timestamp="1303091603"]
You guys are really pathetic. The statements are laughing. Now Lcm is going to be a power house because of some mass exitous from Wos because they would be upset cause Thompson didn't get the job lol. Most of these players didn't like to play for Crouch when he was at Wos, they sure aren't going to follow him to a losing team. These kids grew up dreaming of being a Mustang. I can assure you that many players have been asked about this and most say the same thing and that is they don't care who the coach is,they just want to play ball. So these statements you are making are totally ridiculous and wishful thinking. If anything, alot of players might come back.  Another intimidation tactics no longer work in this country, it just pisses people off and it would e d up hurting your candidate instead of helping. Calling committee members and starting me and other former Mustang's are keeping an eye on folks like you who obviously have a hidden agenda. Todd Broussard are you serious?  Is that yoa threat and who is folks like you?  Yes I called you out. Your gonna say something like this over the phone loud enough for this persons child to hear who's also a mustang player, then your gonna turn around and text this b.s. some of you are losing your minds and if coach T doesn't get the job, you can blame your self.  Kerry you participate in this foolishness, but when your talking to the committee members your totally different. Your in the media, you should know better then involving yourself in these intimidation tactics.  People calling other candidates, trying to intimidate them telling them to drop out is just wrong.  Most of you who are ranting don't even live in this area anymore so you can't do anything about any decision that is made other than cry like some little wimps ...grow up.
[/quote]

Can't wait for the reply. It should be a good one! ;D

You guys are really pathetic. The statements are laughable. Now Lcm is going to be a powerhouse because of some mass exitous from Wos because they would be upset cause Thompson didn't get the job lol. Most of these players didn't like to play for Crouch when he was at Wos, they sure aren't going to follow him to a losing team. These kids grew up dreaming of being a Mustang. I can assure you that many players have been asked about this and most say the same thing and that is they don't care who the coach is,they just want to play ball. So these statements you are making
me and other former Mustang's are keeping an eye on folks like you who obviously have a hidden agenda. Todd Broussard are you serious?  Is that yoa threat and who is folks like you?  Yes I called you out. Your gonna say something like this over the phone loud enough for this persons child to hear who's also a mustang player, then your gonna turn around and text this b.s. some of you are losing your minds and if coach T doesn't get the job, you can blame your self.  Kerry you participate in this foolishness, but when your talking to the committee members your totally different. Your in the media, you should know better then involving yourself in these intimidation tactics.  People calling other candidates, trying to intimidate them telling them to drop out is just wrong.  Most of you who are ranting don't even live in this area anymore so you can't do anything about any decision that is made other than cry like some little wimps ...grow up.
[/quote] Not sure who has called Candidates!!! Point i'm trying to make is this is a NO BRAINER on who should get the job. You know yourself who should get it. Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to know who should get this job. Just being honest! 8) 8)

[/quote]

And ladies and gentlemen, here we have a member on the illustrious search committee, Erick Guillory.  Aggie, I have to do precious little in a post as by his one post here, Mr. Guillory has succeeded more than I could do in a 1000 in illustrating the concerns I have about the actions of this committee.  THIS is the type of individual that the superintendent has plucked out of the community to serve aside Hutcherson Hill, who I trust implicitly to engage in the search of the new head coach at WO-S and athletic director of the school district that I graduated from.  After this, there can be absolutely no dispute that any misgivings about the committee aren't reasonable.  I absolutely told you that people could lose jobs and board members could lose positions, that goes without saying.  It is a viewpoint that has, without prompting,been seen as a probably consequence by fans, coaches, school board members from neighboring districts and MOST IMPORTANTLY, taxpayers of the West Orange-Cove CISD. In fact, if I remember correctly in our discussion you yourself acknowledged that view.  As to me hollering, the only way your children heard my voice is if you put me on speakerphone as my wife who was but about 10 ft away could not hear our conversation, although I would doubtlessly be without blame if I started to raise my voice to your continued condescending admonitions to "listen and learn."  I guess that is how I should have known the conversation would go when your response to my original text to you in support of Coach Thompson received the response of "Y."

If Coach Thompson doesn't get the nod, it is on you.  As a supposed "friend" of Coach Thompson that you "needed" material to take to the rest of the committee because there are all of these candidates who had resumes better than Coach T.  And I will repeat now what I said then, if you as a lifelong resident of Orange (although, I understand not a 4 year student at West Orange-Stark as you found yourself transferring to that "losing" program over at Little Cypress-Mauriceville for SOME reason which is probably the reason JohnnyT60, a father of a pretty well known LC-M alumnus, was questioning your placement on the committee), could not make a sound case for Coach Thompson, that you weren't trying.  In fact, it was you that told me that people needed to "show love" to Coach Thompson because the members of the committee weren't seeing it.  Pardon me, I found THREE different facebook pages endorsing Coach Thompson as coach (and I apparently unlike you took the initiative to send those links to Mr. Colbert).  If you would have done your homework, you would have found it quite easy to show the committee the support of the community for Coach Thompson as you told me was the role provided you by Mr. Colbert.  PLEASE, don't give me the "if Coach T is not hired, it is your fault."  If by some happenstance, Coach Thompson does not get this job, it is because YOU committee members REFUSED to listen to the community and coaching fraternity who to a person, have endorsed Cornel Thompson as coach (even reportedly those candidates recruited by the committee to compete against his application).  And if you personally don't opt for Coach Thompson, then you just foster the belief held by many that you never actually supported Thompson and that while professing your support, you were looking for an excuse to oppose him.

And just exactly HOW can potential candidates be called? It sure hasn't been done by me. In fact, those candidates that I know to have been contacted by the committee are either through folks close to the candidate and in one case, you!  The freaking list of candidates hasn't been released! Nobody knows who the candidates are!  That is one thing that is fostering the belief that something is not on the up and up.  So any allegation that anyone has called a potential candidate, especially to try to intimidate him is an OUTRIGHT LIE, ERICK.  Although I must say that I am not surprised because that appears to be your reputation around Orange.  In fact, I should have gathered that as you proceeded to tell me this story about how the Orange Leader misquoted Mr. Colbert about the procedure and how an "apology" was going to printed.  I have checked the online version.  My parents in Orange have checked the print version. And ya' know what?  No retraction or notice of error!  Ya know why?  Because the Leader, and as I informed you, KOGT, both correctly quoted Mr. Colbert as to how the procedure would play out!  

And finally, the coup de gras, [b]"Most of you who are ranting don't even live in this area anymore so you can't do anything about any decision that is made other than cry like some little wimps."[/b]  This is really the language of an individual that I WOULD WANT to be involved in selecting a school district administrator.

God bless you, Erick!  Thanks to you, people who thought I was out of my mind now can finally get a glimpse of what I have been seeing.

BLESS YOU! BLESS YOU! BLESS YOU!

[quote name="Stangs92" post="998869" timestamp="1303087800"]
[quote author=sportsfreak2008 link=topic=82860.msg998770#msg998770 date=1303072240]
If the right choice is not made then WOS althgether will not be the same.  LCM and Coach Crouch could be your next football powerhouse in SETX and the enrollment at LCM could jump way up, but more importantly those who already question Colbert's motivates will know for sure what his agenda is and will be for the future.  This could be a turning point for his future as the super as well.  Just sayin  ::)
[/quote]
[[size=12pt][b]LCM and Crouch the next SETX FOOTBALL POWERHOUSE?[/b]  [b]Wow.[/b][/size]
[/quote]

[size=14pt][b]SWEET !!!   :) :) :)[/b][/size]

[quote name="bulldogs1990" post="998901" timestamp="1303093318"]
who ever gets this job will never i said never fill dan hooks shoes. wos is going to be lost for a long time i said the same thing about newton when coach barbay passed. you can say what u want these are legends in texas high school football. good luck coach who ever it is.
[/quote]
I read this post to a close friend of mine that has just finished 4 years of playing for WO-S, and in his exact words, " Coach hooks has barely done anything since his surgery, he has been more of a figurehead."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder