Next WO-S Head Football Coach.....COACH THOMPSON IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[quote name="the sports guy" post="997712" timestamp="1302884263"]
[b]I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.[/b]

I would think that a new coach would want to put out info about the Stangs.  Build a bridge.
[/quote]

Well, I will do my part.  I have a questionnaire and letter to WO-S which in only lacking a name of the coach.  

Because let me make this perfectly clear, while hard feelings may extend to the Superintendent, the search committee and the school board depending on what the result of this search yields, those hard feelings will NOT extend to the new head coach.  I cannot place fault with any coach whose only "crimes" in this matter is having the desire to run the what is (biased view admitted) one of the best football programs in the State of Texas as well as the confidence that he can meet and possibly raise the high standards of that program.  

He will enjoy my full and complete support as an alumnus of West Orange-Stark going forward as the head coach and athletic director.  For to threaten to jump ship would be to close the door on the community I grew up in and the school that will forever be a part of me.  Moreover, to wish ill of a new coach simply because I supported another candidate would be to wish ill of the children coming through the WOC CISD.  I, quite simply, refuse to do either of those things.  

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="997711" timestamp="1302884137"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=82860.msg997709#msg997709 date=1302883977]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=82860.msg997703#msg997703 date=1302883556]
Committee or no committee.  To me it doesn't matter, I know that both methods have been effective in finding coaches in the past and it is really that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder of which method to use.  I further realize that the Government and Education Codes here in Texas require that this position be posted and opened to the public for a period of time.  To those ends, the West Orange-Cove CISD has complied with federal and state law.

I do have misgivings about the motives of some of the members of that committee. MANY share my misgivings about at least one of those members.  But it is not the structure of the process that I have problems with.

The criticism is with the actions of this committee.  Those actions that have been attributed to Mr. Colbert and his committee lead to a conclusion, that while maybe incorrect is certainly reasonable.  And quite simply that conclusion is that Mr. Colbert and his committee seem intent on naming a coach that meets a certain ideological goal that Colbert and the committee share rather than searching for a coach that is best for the children of the West Orange-Cove CISD.  This ideological goal, by the way, has long been dismissed by the United States Supreme Court as unreasonable and  unconstitutional.  Reports of these actions have not been met by reports of acts to the contrary, nor actually a denial that it is occurring.

They have been met with pleas to merely to wait until the end and see that I may have been wrong all along.  And I admit that is a reasonable way to proceed and certainly find no fault with anyone who advocates such a mindset.  I just don't agree with it.  Some might see it as injecting negativity into the argument.  I prefer to see it as exposing the negativity of actions by a committee that, at least in reasonable appearance, appears to be bucking what those in and out of the Mustang family....and in and out of the coaching fraternity that the new coach would enter....hold as conventional wisdom.

I fully understand that there may be consequences to my actions.  I am currently trying to gather information about the local teams for next year and I fully expect the next coach at WO-S, regardless of who that may be, to be instructed to render very little aid in getting information on the Mustangs.  And I fully realize that others may face consequences FAR MORE severe than that because of airing their views.  But should I be incorrect about where the actions of the committee are headed, I will gladly sleep at night with the moniker of one of the "boys who cried wolf." 

If I was correct and remained silent, I am not sure I could sleep so well.

[/quote]

I know one thing about your post,....Skipper will never be able to understand it. lol. ;D
[/quote]

Nor will I probably be able to understand his the next time he posts. LOL! ;D
[/quote]

That gives us all something in common.  ;D

[quote name="Ska_Doobie_1" post="997715" timestamp="1302884522"]
The fact that two coaches from within the district applied for the AD/HC job is not the reason for the interviewing process.  The only time a district can fill a position from within without interviewing for the open spot is if the move is a lateral move.  For instance if WOS had two AD's for some reason the remaining AD could just be named the AD.  This happens all the time with Asst. Principals.  Since the AD/HC would be a promotion for either WOS coaches, the interviewing process was unavoidable.
[/quote]

Either way, it had to be posted.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="997736" timestamp="1302885833"]
[quote author=KFDM KERRY COOPER link=topic=82860.msg997735#msg997735 date=1302885652]
Not what i was told it didn't have to be.
[/quote]

Yes, it did have to be posted.
[/quote]

How about looking it up for those of you who care. Stop going by what "you were told" or "what you heard". I can't believe how yall are getting bogged down in details that don't make a difference in the end result. Once again this is the negative crap that is being put out there. Go find the facts if it bothers you that much. Personally my interest lies in the end result.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="997739" timestamp="1302886051"]
Oh i know since another WO-S coach applied, i meant that if only Coach T applied it didn't have to be opened. I just confirmed that with 3 different coaches.
[/quote]

But another coach DID apply. So why in the world are we even having this discussion. Stay on focus.

It doesn't matter to me if it had to be posted and it doesn't matter to me how the process works (committee or no committee). Let them do what they have to do to get the best person for the job, which in the end should be CORNELL THOMPSON!!!!!

They can do all the hoop jumping they need to do as long as they show that they are smart enough to hire Cornell for the job.

Doesn't take a smart person to figure this one out.

Hire Cornell now, Toby later= Continued success at WOS

For those that do care, the following from the TEA website:

"[b]5. What are the legal requirements regarding hiring procedures, such as posting a position?[/b]

The Texas Education Code (TEC) does not contain a provision requiring that a vacancy be advertised or posted. Hiring procedures, including vacancy posting and applicant screening, are governed by local policy.

School districts must comply with state and federal laws that require employers to have nondiscriminatory hiring practices. Employers are prohibited from discriminating against applicants and employees based on race, sex, religion, age, national origin, or disability. The equal employment opportunity (EEO) laws are administered by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at the federal level. Information about the EEO laws and how to file a complaint can be found at the EEOC web site.

Although the Texas Education Code does not prescribe hiring procedures, it does address the authority of superintendents to make recommendations regarding the selection of personnel, in Sections 11.201 and 11.163, and the approval authority of principals in Section 11.202."

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/page.aspx?id=3054#5

I do not have the provisions of Sections, 11.201, 11.163, or 11.202 yet of the Texas Education Code. I will have them shortly.

SUBCHAPTER E. SUPERINTENDENTS AND PRINCIPALS

Sec. 11.201.  SUPERINTENDENTS. (a) The superintendent is the educational leader and the chief executive officer of the school district.

(b)  The board of trustees of an independent school district may employ by contract a superintendent for a term not to exceed five years.

(c)  For purposes of this subsection, "severance payment" means any amount paid by the board of trustees of an independent school district to or in behalf of a superintendent on early termination of the superintendent's contract that exceeds the amount earned by the superintendent under the contract as of the date of termination, including any amount that exceeds the amount of earned standard salary and benefits that is paid as a condition of early termination of the contract. The board of trustees that makes a severance payment to a superintendent shall report the terms of the severance payment to the commissioner. The commissioner shall reduce the district's Foundation School Program funds by any amount that the amount of the severance payment to the superintendent exceeds an amount equal to one year's salary and benefits under the superintendent's terminated contract. The commissioner may adopt rules as necessary to administer this subsection.

(d)  The duties of the superintendent include:

(1)  assuming administrative responsibility and leadership for the planning, organization, operation, supervision, and evaluation of the education programs, services, and facilities of the district and for the annual performance appraisal of the district's staff;

(2)  except as provided by Section 11.202, assuming administrative authority and responsibility for the assignment, supervision, and evaluation of all personnel of the district other than the superintendent;

(3)  overseeing compliance with the standards for school facilities established by the commissioner under Section 46.008;

(4)  initiating the termination or suspension of an employee or the nonrenewal of an employee's term contract;

(5)  managing the day-to-day operations of the district as its administrative manager, including implementing and monitoring plans, procedures, programs, and systems to achieve clearly defined and desired results in major areas of district operations;

(6)  preparing and submitting to the board of trustees a proposed budget as provided by Section 44.002 and rules adopted under that section, and administering the budget;

(7)  preparing recommendations for policies to be adopted by the board of trustees and overseeing the implementation of adopted policies;

(8)  developing or causing to be developed appropriate administrative regulations to implement policies established by the board of trustees;

(9)  providing leadership for the attainment and, if necessary, improvement of student performance in the district based on the indicators adopted under Sections 39.053 and 39.301 and other indicators adopted by the commissioner or the district's board of trustees;

(10)  organizing the district's central administration;

(11)  consulting with the district-level committee as required under Section 11.252(f);

(12)  ensuring:

(A)  adoption of a student code of conduct as required under Section 37.001 and enforcement of that code of conduct; and

(B)  adoption and enforcement of other student disciplinary rules and procedures as necessary;

(13)  submitting reports as required by state or federal law, rule, or regulation;

(14)  providing joint leadership with the board of trustees to ensure that the responsibilities of the board and superintendent team are carried out; and

(15)  performing any other duties assigned by action of the board of trustees.

(e)  The superintendent of a school district may not receive any financial benefit for personal services performed by the superintendent for any business entity that conducts or solicits business with the district.  Any financial benefit received by the superintendent for performing personal services for any other entity, including a school district, open-enrollment charter school, regional education service center, or public or private institution of higher education, must be approved by the board of trustees on a case-by-case basis in an open meeting.  For purposes of this subsection, the receipt of reimbursement for a reasonable expense is not considered a financial benefit.

Sec. 11.202.  PRINCIPALS. (a) The principal of a school is the instructional leader of the school and shall be provided with adequate training and personnel assistance to assume that role.

(b)  Each principal shall:

(1)  except as provided by Subsection (d), approve all teacher and staff appointments for that principal's campus from a pool of applicants selected by the district or of applicants who meet the hiring requirements established by the district, based on criteria developed by the principal after informal consultation with the faculty;

(2)  set specific education objectives for the principal's campus, through the planning process under Section 11.253;

(3)  develop budgets for the principal's campus;

(4)  assume the administrative responsibility and instructional leadership, under the supervision of the superintendent, for discipline at the campus;

(5)  assign, evaluate, and promote personnel assigned to the campus;

(6)  recommend to the superintendent the termination or suspension of an employee assigned to the campus or the nonrenewal of the term contract of an employee assigned to the campus; and

(7)  perform other duties assigned by the superintendent pursuant to the policy of the board of trustees.

(c)  The board of trustees of a school district shall adopt a policy for the selection of a campus principal that includes qualifications required for that position.

(d)  The superintendent or the person designated by the superintendent has final placement authority for a teacher transferred because of enrollment shifts or program changes in the district.

I guess my only issue is why did the committee actively go out and recruit applicants.  I mean I'm all for following all the laws concerning this, but why seek certain individuals?  post the opening, let those who wish to apply do so.  Dot all the i's and cross all the T's, follow the rules to the letter of the law.  But thier should be no doubt in anyones mind that Coach T deserves the chance.  But obvioulsy there is some doubt in someones mind.

[quote name="marshman" post="997757" timestamp="1302887066"]
I guess my only issue is why did the committee actively go out and recruit applicants.  I mean I'm all for following all the laws concerning this, but why seek certain individuals?  post the opening, let those who wish to apply do so.  Dot all the i's and cross all the T's, follow the rules to the letter of the law.  But thier should be no doubt in anyones mind that Coach T deserves the chance.  But obvioulsy there is some doubt in someones mind.
[/quote] But obvioulsy there is some doubt in someones mind.

Your correct there!!!

§ 11.163. EMPLOYMENT POLICY.  (a) The board of trustees
of each independent school district shall adopt a policy providing
for the employment and duties of district personnel.  The
employment policy must provide that:
(1)  the superintendent has sole authority to make
recommendations to the board regarding the selection of all
personnel other than the superintendent, except that the board may
delegate final authority for those decisions to the superintendent;  
and
(2)  each principal must approve each teacher or staff
appointment to the principal's campus as provided by Section
(b)  The board of trustees may accept or reject the
superintendent's recommendation regarding the selection of
district personnel.  If the board rejects the superintendent's
recommendation, the superintendent shall make alternative
recommendations until the board accepts a recommendation.
(c)  The employment policy may:                                                
(1)  specify the terms of employment with the district;                      
(2)  delegate to the superintendent the authority to
determine the terms of employment with the district;  or
(3)  include a provision for providing each current
district employee with an opportunity to participate in a process
for transferring to another school in or position with the
district.
(d)  The employment policy must provide that not later than
the 10th school day before the date on which a district fills a
vacant position for which a certificate or license is required as
provided by Section 21.003, other than a position that affects the
safety and security of students as determined by the board of
trustees, the district must provide to each current district
employee:
(1)  notice of the position by posting the position on:                      
(A)  a bulletin board at:                                                    
(i)  a place convenient to the public in the
district's central administrative office;  and
(ii)  the central administrative office of
each campus in the district during any time the office is open;  and
(B)  the district's Internet website, if the
district has a website;  and  
(2)  a reasonable opportunity to apply for the
position.                    
(e)  If, during the school year, the district must fill a
vacant position held by a teacher, as defined by Section 21.201, in
less than 10 school days, the district:
(1)  must provide notice of the position in the manner
described by Subsection (d)(1) as soon as possible after the
vacancy occurs;
(2)  is not required to provide the notice for 10 school
days before filling the position;  and
(3)  is not required to comply with Subsection (d)(2).

Man, this is one fast moving thread. While I agree with all of you on who should get the job I also agree with TD and WOC on their process. I really don’t have a dog in the hunt but I too want what’s best for WOS.

Everyone has been waiting for a new superintendent to take control and bring WOC out of it’s troubled past. He is brand new to the district and has to make maybe one of toughest decisions of his career and you all expect him make it based solely on the popular want of the community? A real leader will put together whatever process he needs to evaluate candidates so he can make a decision he is 100% confident in. Of course he keeps an open ear to all that everyone has to say but in the end he has to KNOW who is best for the job, not just take someone’s opinion. By the same token he should not let any critics (if there area any) sway his decision. In the end I’m sure we will all be happy with the results. If not, I’ll figure out how to take my foot out of my mouth.

BTW – can you imagine the quality of applicants that have probably shown interest in the WOS AD job?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder