Baytown Lee vs. Barbers Hill Game Thread/ Barbers Hill wins/Comments

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="WhatHappened?" post="986343" timestamp="1300733152"]
Neither ump saw the pitcher push the runner. The homeplate umpire had to run to the lee bench to get in between them and the BH players. They were all out on the field. BH catcher was sitting on the plate holding the ball? not up the baseline. what game were you watching? The catcher that was up the line without the ball was Lee's the half inning before when BH player #9 dodge the catcher to try and sneak around him. If he made legal contact he wouldnt have been ejected. Lee's runner was ejected not for initiating contact but for lowering his shoulder. Contact is acceptable if it is fair and not lowered shoulder. 
[/quote]

Define "fair contact".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="986225" timestamp="1300717401"]
Your response does not put the play to rest. Why should Hackney be ejected? Why was the pitcher not ejected if he shoved another player? Most baseball players would have done the same thing the Lee baserunner did. The problem is that he was playing in high school and not any other level. If you block the plate be prepared to accept the results. My player will accept his.
[/quote]

As stated above, "The problem is that he was playing in high school and not any other level.". So coach the boys at a high school level where it deems necessary. You can't expect a catcher to protect his plate behind the bag! If he didn't have the ball, that is one thing, but he had the ball. He had a better chance at scoring if he slid anyway. I may be wrong, but I think the only bag that can be protected out front is home.

if the catcher is up the line from his orgional position, then the runner does not have to avoid contact. it then becomes a judgement call with the ump if he thinks it was milicious.
now if he has the ball already he has to make a LEGAL attempt to avoid contact to making a play on him. which has to be 3 ft within base line, head first or feet first with feet below the knee.

[quote name="hitman009" post="986362" timestamp="1300735473"]
if the catcher is up the line from his orgional position, then the runner does not have to avoid contact. it then becomes a judgement call with the ump if he thinks it was milicious.
now if he has the ball already he has to make a LEGAL attempt to avoid contact to making a play on him. which has to be 3 ft within base line, head first or feet first with feet below the knee.
[/quote]

THE RULE:

“A runner who fails to make a reasonable attempt to avoid a collision with a defensive player shall be called out. Any other runner advancing on the play shall be required to return to the last base visited. In the event that an umpire determines that a collision was flagrant (i.e., attempting to bowl over the catcher when it is clear that he has the ball and is waiting to apply the tag...), he has the authority to eject the offending player from the game.”

Only professional baseball allows intentional collisions between runners and fielders. At every amateur level, due to an obvious concern for player safety, such contact is forbidden. If an umpire judges a collision flagrant, severe penalties may be imposed.

Guest Ranger83
Man, I looked every where for this rule. I never doubted he should have been ejected, I just wonder why no other players were ejected for their actions.

[quote name="Yearof thePat!" post="986403" timestamp="1300740382"]
Man, I looked every where for this rule. I never doubted he should have been ejected, I just wonder why no other players were ejected for their actions.
[/quote]

Because nobody else did anything.  the BH pitcher went over and got between the Lee player and the BH catcher. from my view point I didnt see the BH pitcher or catcher do any thing worth being ejected for.

No it don't answer that.....The ejection was legit and again if you r telling me the pitcher got in the middle to stop the altercation you are full of it.The umpire did his job to control the situation BEFORE it turned ugly.I had one question and pat is the only one that sees and answered it...Thank you Pat...

[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="986395" timestamp="1300739722"]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=81969.msg986362#msg986362 date=1300735473]
[/quote]

THE RULE:

“A runner who fails to make a reasonable attempt to avoid a collision with a defensive player shall be called out. Any other runner advancing on the play shall be required to return to the last base visited. In the event that an umpire determines that a collision was flagrant (i.e., attempting to bowl over the catcher when it is clear that he has the ball and is waiting to apply the tag...), he has the authority to eject the offending player from the game.”

Only professional baseball allows intentional collisions between runners and fielders. At every amateur level, due to an obvious concern for player safety, such contact is forbidden. If an umpire judges a collision flagrant, severe penalties may be imposed.

[/quote]8-4 ART 2 G - A Fielder is not protected, except from intentional contact if he misplays the ball and has to move from his orginal location.
His location is home base. now when he comes up the line to get the ball he is out of his orginal location which is home base. if non intentional contact is made, which is a ump judgement, then it is legal.
the catcher has to give path to the bag and can not block the runing lane without the ball.

[quote name="GeeGanderdad" post="986429" timestamp="1300742187"]
No it don't answer that.....The ejection was legit and again if you r telling me the pitcher got in the middle to stop the altercation you are full of it.The umpire did his job to control the situation BEFORE it turned ugly.I had one question and pat is the only one that sees and answered it...Thank you Pat...
[/quote]
sounds like someone is a little jealous over the outcome :D

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="BHFAN" post="986742" timestamp="1300814226"]
Ok now the rules are out and it was obviouse that the player should have been ejected then why the heck was the Lee Coach acting a fool to the ump ?

Stir Stir ;D
[/quote]

Maybe because his player had just been shoved?

I can't imagine any coach acting a fool like GCM's coach did 3 or so years back while playing BH at Lee.  Can't recall his name, but he was about 4 feet tall and raised cane about everything, including throwing everyhting in the dugout.  Huffman's coach has been known to throw a tantrum or two. 

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="bh89-2" post="986776" timestamp="1300819703"]
I can't imagine any coach acting a fool like GCM's coach did 3 or so years back while playing BH at Lee.  Can't recall his name, but he was about 4 feet tall and raised cane about everything, including throwing everyhting in the dugout.  Huffman's coach has been known to throw a tantrum or two. 
[/quote]

Must have been a heck of a coach since GCM is in it's 3rd year of existance and has only had one coach.

Why was GCM playing BH at rel?

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="EAGLE07" post="986782" timestamp="1300821600"]
[quote author=Yearof thePat! link=topic=81969.msg986753#msg986753 date=1300816282]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=81969.msg986752#msg986752 date=1300816172]
Who's on first  ;)
[/quote]

That's who's name?
[/quote]

Hu.  ???
[/quote]

No, he's in left field.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder