Three early candidates for next basketball coach.

These are not my names yet what I am being told:

Alvin Brooks- Associate Head coach at Houston and former Lamar player

Scott Monarch - Assistant Coach Marquette. Has worked at a number of Texas JC's (Panola, Tyler, McLennen, and Navarro).

Glynn Cyprien - Assistant Coach Memphis. A former Lamar assistant. Has been a high major assistant at Kentucky, Arkansas, UNLV, Oklahoma State, and UNLV. He graduated from Texas-San Antonio.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="982955" timestamp="1300204652"]
I have been hearing Cyprien as well.
[/quote]  Would be a good choice...I am assuming he got the problems that kept him from being hired at UL-Lafayette are straightened out.  Wild card possibility might be Terry Johnson, assistant at Butler, who was point guard and baseball player at Lamar during mid '90's.

[quote name="badndn" post="983026" timestamp="1300214503"]
Monarchs teams at Panola were about as fast paced as it gets...He was there when Gil Goodrich was there. They scored over a 100ppg.
[/quote]

He also has the support of his head coach at Marquette Buzz Williams who has big texas ties and has done well at marquette!

I looooooooooved gil goodrich.  He was a thug but he could play!!!!

[quote name="badndn" post="983026" timestamp="1300214503"]
Monarchs teams at Panola were about as fast paced as it gets...He was there when Gil Goodrich was there. They scored over a 100ppg.
[/quote]Wonder how many head coaches can make that claim?  Gil must have set a record for the number of schools attended

[quote name="sleepy" post="983031" timestamp="1300215268"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=81730.msg983026#msg983026 date=1300214503]
[/quote]

He also has the support of his head coach at Marquette Buzz Williams who has big texas ties and has done well at marquette!

I looooooooooved gil goodrich.  He was a thug but he could play!!!!
[/quote]
Me to on Goodrich. His dissmissal was not a Tubbs call, but a Roc call. Roc couldn't stand him. You know he went on to average over 30ppg at Bowie State and was over 20 ppg in Europe.

Monarch had several talented kids at Panola.

So far I'm not excited, but what difference does that make!  I knew Cyprien a little myself and liked him, haven't followed his carreer since he left.  He would be my first choice on the list but that doesn't mean anything.  A Brooks is probably the best PG LU has ever had but based on his past just can't get excited about him as head coach.  I really like the idea of a young up and comer.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="983173" timestamp="1300227113"]
Cyrien was the guy who got offered the ULaLa job but then was dismissed when it became apparent that he had lied on his resume.
[/quote]
Could be wrong, but I believe Cyprien actually was hired and moved to Lafayette but was dismissed or contract voided, actually, after only a couple of weeks on the job.  Still is a good coach, obviously, and I don't know if this would negatively affect LU's interest in him or not

I agree with you guys on Alvin Brooks.  It is just a name that is continuously brought up. 

Spanky, you are dead on with Cyprien.  That is exactly what happen.  Everyone makes mistakes though.  I think he would be a steal and turn our program around. JMHO!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder