Ladies are in the NIT

[quote name="Scooter!" post="981616" timestamp="1299901049"]
NIT??
[/quote]

This is the WNIT site: www.womensnit.com/showstory.asp?id=206

The committee will announce the 64-team Postseason WNIT field late the evening of Monday, March 14, following the NCAA Tournament field announcement. The WNIT field will consist of 31 teams that receive automatic berths, and 33 teams that are awarded at-large berths. Teams are chosen based on varying criteria as outlined below.

All games in the single-elimination format are played at the main or alternate facilities of participating schools.

Here are the date ranges for each round in 2011:
Round 1 March 16-18
Round 2 March 19-21
Round 3 March 23-25
Quarterfinals March 26-28
Semifinals March 30-31
Championship April 2

The WNIT understands that many schools interested in hosting cannot hold their facilities for the entirety of March, but if teams can hold one or two dates open in each round, along with the championship date, that helps ensure that those schools can be considered as host sites. Note: A school’s ability and/or desire to host games in the Postseason WNIT has absolutely no bearing on team selection for the tournament.

Selecting Teams
The WNIT committee will choose 64 teams for its 2011 Postseason WNIT. The field will consist of 31 automatic berths – one from each established conference – and 33 at-large teams. The intention of the WNIT Selection Committee is to select the 33 best available at-large teams in the nation.

Unless the WNIT rules are different than the mens, the guarantee only applies to ensure a regular season champ gets a postseasoon game.  If the conference tourney champ is the regular season champ then it opens another at large bid in the mens NIT.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="981695" timestamp="1299919538"]
No it isn't. We are in. The 2 seed automatically gets the birth if the 1 seed in the conference gets the NCAA tourney bid.
[/quote]

Perhaps the men's is different, because I was under the impression that the only auto-bid a league gets is if the regular season champion doesn't win their conference championship (and therefor doesn't go to  the NCAA tournament).

I know that last year, Sam won the regular season and the tourney, so they weren't eligible. #2 seed, SFA would have been the auto-bid according to your prediction, but no SLC team was in the NIT last year. This was men's, so perhaps the women's auto-selection is different.

Either way, I do think the Cards have a high enough RPI to get in, with or without the auto-bid

As of right now, the WNIT website only shows auto-bids for these teams:

2011 Postseason
WNIT Teams
a=Automatic Berth

a-Appalachian St. (SoCon)
a-Florida Gulf Coast (Atl. Sun)
a-Loyola-Md. (Metro-Atl.)
a-Oral Roberts (Summit)
a-St. Mary's (West Coast)
a-Tennessee Tech (Ohio Val.)
a-UMBC (America East)
a-Yale (Ivy League)

Guys - can we please learn how to read? Someone already posted it! You are giving Texas higher education a bad name... ;)

[quote]Selecting Teams
The WNIT committee will choose 64 teams for its 2011 Postseason WNIT. [b]The field will consist of 31 automatic berths – one from each established conference – and 33 at-large teams. [/b]The intention of the WNIT Selection Committee is to select the 33 best available at-large teams in the nation. [/quote]

Even the SWAC guys get it - one team from every conference! It goes in pecking order, so if the No. 1 team from a league (i.e. McNeese) is in the NCAAs, we go to No. 2 which in this case is Lamar. How hard is it?

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="981961" timestamp="1299964024"]
Guys - can we please learn how to read? Someone already posted it! You are giving Texas higher education a bad name... ;)

[quote]Selecting Teams
The WNIT committee will choose 64 teams for its 2011 Postseason WNIT. [b]The field will consist of 31 automatic berths – one from each established conference – and 33 at-large teams. [/b]The intention of the WNIT Selection Committee is to select the 33 best available at-large teams in the nation. [/quote]

Even the SWAC guys get it - one team from every conference! It goes in pecking order, so if the No. 1 team from a league (i.e. McNeese) is in the NCAAs, we go to No. 2 which in this case is Lamar. How hard is it?
[/quote]

I never knew! That's pretty cool. Too bad the Men's NIT wasn't as fair!  ;) I hope Beaumont gets to host a game, that'll be good for the area, the conference, and especially the ladies.

The men's NIT has been good to Lamar in the past so I can't say anything bad. I do agree if the conference champion is also the conference tournament champion the next best team for that conference should get in.

Looks like a decision on Roc will have to wait another week at least.

Coach Tidwell needs to be totally focused on the team we are playing.

This is a first for the WBB program by making it to post season play two straight years.  ;)

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="981961" timestamp="1299964024"]

[quote]Selecting Teams

[/quote]

Oh TexasTerror, before making a comment you may want to read the WNIT website.

[b]Automatic Berths[/b]
[b]A team that is offered an automatic bid by the WNIT shall be the team that is a.) the highest-finishing team in its conference’s regular-season standings,[/b] and b.) is not selected for the NCAA Tournament. A team that fulfills these qualities will earn the WNIT automatic berth for their respective conference, regardless of overall record.

This would be McNeese State as they were the highest-finishing team in the conference regular-season standings.

[quote name="bigred360" post="981972" timestamp="1299965121"]This would be McNeese State as they were the highest-finishing team in the conference regular-season standings. [/quote]

Finish reading - "b.) is not selected for the NCAA Tournament. "

Lamar is selected by being the highest finishing team that was [b]not[/b] selected for the NCAA Tournament.

Will wait and see.  The two portions of the invite rules posted would still tend to indicate that LU will receive an invite via the conference qualifier and not as a true at large.  In the first quote it is stated that the WNIT will invite at least one team from each eligible conference.  By part "b" in Bigred360's post Lamar will be the highest placed regular season team assuming they don't get an NCAA at large invite in which case I think UCA or Sam would be next in line.

[quote name="bigred360" post="981989" timestamp="1299967268"]I guess that is how you interpret it? The way I see it is if McNeese doesn't win the SLC tournament they would get the automatic bid to the WNIT.[/quote]

Correct... but McNeese won the SLC tournament on [url=http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205114246]Friday[/url]! So, the automatic bid goes to Lamar...

[quote author=geezer link=topic=81630.msg981985#msg981985 date=1299966891]Will wait and see.  The two portions of the invite rules posted would still tend to indicate that LU will receive an invite via the conference qualifier and not as a true at large.  In the first quote it is stated that the WNIT will invite at least one team from each eligible conference.  By part "b" in Bigred360's post Lamar will be the highest placed regular season team assuming they don't get an NCAA at large invite in which case I think UCA or Sam would be next in line.[/quote]

Lamar is the next-highest regular season team by virtue of the league's seeding for the conference tournament. They go by the individual league's tiebreaker... SHSU would be crowing about a WNIT if it was happening - it's not.

Well, the WNIT must have changed from a couple of years ago. When Tamara Abalde played here Lamar finished 2nd in the league and got to the conference tournament finals by beating SFA and A&M-CC.

They didn't get an invite that year.

Really, the debating is pointless and I've made my point. Lamar is playing in the post season and it is great for the program. Automatic bid or at large I don't care.

If we are able to hoist a game let's honor the players and coaches by filling the Montagne Center.

[quote name="bigred360" post="982019" timestamp="1299971008"]Well, the WNIT must have changed from a couple of years ago. [/quote]

Like the NIT - the WNIT did change a few years ago. Their rules are different, as have been noted.

[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=81630.msg982019#msg982019 date=1299971008]Really, the debating is pointless and I've made my point. Lamar is playing in the post season and it is great for the program. Automatic bid or at large I don't care.[/quote]

Wouldn't be a debate if you folks could interpret the rules and/or read your own school's [url=http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031111aaa.html]press release[/url]. Said release notes, "Under the WNIT's standards, the second-place team in a conference receives the automatic bid should the regular-season champion also win the conference tournament. "

It's going to be really scary if Bob West understands this all before long...  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder