Coaches that use Profanity at players?

BADSANTA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Coach Byrd" post="958235" timestamp="1296516784"]
There is no place where profanity should be used. If a person never uses profanity then it will not "slip out".
If a coach were to use profanity in the classroom, then he would be fired. The field or court is an extension of the classroom.
[/quote]Well Opie we dont live in May Berry anymore. But if you fell that way just dont let the Beaver play any sports. He might get his feelings hurt

[quote name="Coach Byrd" post="958235" timestamp="1296516784"]
There is no place where profanity should be used. If a person never uses profanity then it will not "slip out".
If a coach were to use profanity in the classroom, then he would be fired. The field or court is an extension of the classroom.
[/quote]I dont use profanity but I have mashed my finger before and things have "slipped out"....or said something in a moment of anger....thats what I was refering to.

[quote name="no-look" post="958244" timestamp="1296518809"]
[quote author=Coach Byrd link=topic=79404.msg958235#msg958235 date=1296516784]
[/quote]I dont use profanity but I have mashed my finger before and things have "slipped out"....or said something in a moment of anger....thats what I was refering to.
[/quote]

Would I be correct in assuming that L.H. never, never, never said anything except "come on boys, try harder:  I know you can do it"?

[quote name="stevenash" post="958283" timestamp="1296524120"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=79404.msg958244#msg958244 date=1296518809]
[/quote]

Would I be correct in assuming that L.H. never, never, never said anything except "come on boys, try harder:  I know you can do it"?
[/quote]L.H. was as intense as any coach who ever got in the box but he didn't have to do a lot of cussing to get his players attention.They all knew what was expected of them and would play above themselves,maybe out of fear sometimes.I don't think you could find one that didn't respect him.

[quote name="whsalum" post="958361" timestamp="1296530978"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79404.msg958283#msg958283 date=1296524120]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=79404.msg958244#msg958244 date=1296518809]
[/quote]

[/quote]L.H. was as intense as any coach who ever got in the box but he didn't have to do a lot of cussing to get his players attention.They all knew what was expected of them and would play above themselves,maybe out of fear sometimes.I don't think you could find one that didn't respect him.
[/quote]Hand could stomp that foot and it would sound like a gun went off...lol

Coach Hand was the best I have ever saw in my life for motivating players.  He could have players want to run through a brick wall to please him.  They wanted his affection.  And he is a good Baptist like me too so there was no curse words.  lol  Seriously, Hand could motivate without cursing better than I have ever witnessed, period.

It never surprises me how some try to justify and excuse vulgar or offensive behavior.

I thought we were to inspire each other to be better people in every aspect of our lives and to expect people to be a little better each day. I find it very refreashing to see people conduct themselves with class and integrity in our society that is so full of garbage and trash.

[quote name="LilBobcatMom" post="957581" timestamp="1296395020"]
[quote author=Team Game link=topic=79404.msg957193#msg957193 date=1296314273]
Why would it be considered acceptable to use profanity in a coaching situation. In reality, coaching is "teaching" a sport and there would be issues if the teachers were using it in the classroom. There would be all source of discipline if the students/athletes were using it as well. It all comes down to respect and being responsible as leaders.
[/quote]

I agree.  HS coaches *should* conduct themselves with the same professional behavior that a teacher would since they are employed within the education system and many also teach classes.

That being said, I think there are different "degrees" of profanity.  I probably wouldn't be bothered by (and might not even notice) a coach hollering "move your a$$", but I would have a problem with something like "lazy SOB" or "worthless m.f."  Cussing directly AT someone is not motivating.
[/quote]

Profanity is profanity no different levels!! It SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN in school sports at ALL!!!  If a coach need to yell profanity or belittle his players he/she is not much of a coach!!! How will he gain more respect and motivation with this kind of behavior!!! If you think a coach should use these tactic should his players cuss him back while answering him? "Attitude reflects leadership"

I dont agree that cursing should be used in a constant manner.  But any human that has ever lived cannot say they have not said a curse word at some point in time.  Bob Knight would probably argue that he made a lot of young boys into men, with his style (arguably one of the top 3 coaches of all time if not higher).  And I am sure he used a few curse words.  When emotions are high, the chance for a curse word becomes more likely.  Just as the example with someone hitting themselves with a hammer and something slips out, when in practice and motivating, composure is a hard thing to keep when you are trying to squeeze the turnip to get all you have out of them.  In a perfect world, would no curse words be used, yes, but we all know this is not a perfect word and curse words do come out.  Even the best of men.

[quote name="6thman" post="960876" timestamp="1296786310"]
[quote author=LilBobcatMom link=topic=79404.msg957581#msg957581 date=1296395020]
[quote author=Team Game link=topic=79404.msg957193#msg957193 date=1296314273]
Why would it be considered acceptable to use profanity in a coaching situation. In reality, coaching is "teaching" a sport and there would be issues if the teachers were using it in the classroom. There would be all source of discipline if the students/athletes were using it as well. It all comes down to respect and being responsible as leaders.
[/quote]

I agree.  HS coaches *should* conduct themselves with the same professional behavior that a teacher would since they are employed within the education system and many also teach classes.

That being said, I think there are different "degrees" of profanity.  I probably wouldn't be bothered by (and might not even notice) a coach hollering "move your a$$", but I would have a problem with something like "lazy SOB" or "worthless m.f."  Cussing directly AT someone is not motivating.
[/quote]

Profanity is profanity no different levels!! It SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN in school sports at ALL!!!  [size=12pt][b]If a coach need to yell profanity or belittle his players he/she is not much of a coach!!![/b][/size] How will he gain more respect and motivation with this kind of behavior!!! If you think a coach should use these tactic should his players cuss him back while answering him? "Attitude reflects leadership"
[/quote]

:D  ::)

[quote name="east texas bb" post="960920" timestamp="1296793029"]
I dont agree that cursing should be used in a constant manner.  But any human that has ever lived cannot say they have not said a curse word at some point in time.  Bob Knight would probably argue that he made a lot of young boys into men, with his style (arguably one of the top 3 coaches of all time if not higher).  And I am sure he used a few curse words.  When emotions are high, the chance for a curse word becomes more likely.  Just as the example with someone hitting themselves with a hammer and something slips out, when in practice and motivating, composure is a hard thing to keep when you are trying to squeeze the turnip to get all you have out of them.  In a perfect world, would no curse words be used, yes, but we all know this is not a perfect word and curse words do come out.  Even the best of men.
[/quote]

One Question do you think it was Bobby Knight's cussing or his coaching that turned boys into men? I think that is he would have left the curse words out and just coached he would have got the same results!!!

He may have, that is something we will never know.  But we do know that his way did work?  I am a strong Christian person and I do not believe in using curse words, but the only perfect person to have lived was Jesus Christ.  I think we have all said curse words, and coaches are more susceptiable because their profession is one where emotions are high all the time.  That was his process, and it worked for him.  So to say it dosent work is incorrect because it did work.  I dont know if he would have been as successful, because that was not him.  He is who he was, and he got the best out of his yound men, alot of times young men that people said were very average.  Im not saying he never had good players, that is absurd, but he did more with little than most coaches do.  And he has the highest graduation rate of any college coach Im pretty sure.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="961276" timestamp="1296877278"]
He may have, that is something we will never know.  But we do know that his way did work?  I am a strong Christian person and I do not believe in using curse words, but the only perfect person to have lived was Jesus Christ.  I think we have all said curse words, and coaches are more susceptiable because their profession is one where emotions are high all the time.  That was his process, and it worked for him.  So to say it dosent work is incorrect because it did work.  I dont know if he would have been as successful, because that was not him.  He is who he was, and he got the best out of his yound men, alot of times young men that people said were very average.  Im not saying he never had good players, that is absurd, but he did more with little than most coaches do.  And he has the highest graduation rate of any college coach Im pretty sure.
[/quote]
To say that profanity is what made Knight effective would actually an insult to him.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="961276" timestamp="1296877278"]

[/quote]

No where in my posts on this subject did I refer to anyone being perfect. I am not talking about perfect coaches but ones with standards and good marols some of these players look to these coaches as the only role models they have!  But if you think it is ok for coaches to use profanity because that is just their profession and theirs is one of high emotions I will agree to disagree with you. I can think of many high emotion jobs that don't use profanity. There isn't anyone who can make me agree with this type of behavior.

First, mat, no one said that the reason Coach Knight was successful was because he cursed.  It was jsut part of who he was.  It worked for him, did he get in trouble, not for cursing but for other things sure.  But no one said that because he coached he was successful. 

6thman, we are talking about different forms of cursing or profanity.  I can almost guarantee you that every coach that has ever coached a practice or a game has at some point used a curse word.  Did it make him right, did it make him wrong.  As a Christian it is something we are not suppossed  to do.  But, what other things do we as humans do every day that is wrong.  I could make a very good argument that coddling a kid and teaching him that everything is ok even when its not, and that he will never lose, and that he will always be ok because he is who he is and it is ok to be that way even if he is lazy and has a bad attitude or a temper problem.  To me, you are doing the kid more wrong that way than jumping his butt when he does wrong.  We are talking about morality and the depth of the mind and the things we do each day shape not only our lives but those around us.  Sometimes, I know I need a good kick in the butt, others I need to be lifted up.  Are coaches who let a curse word slip anymore wrong than the coach who rolls the ball out and teaches the kid nothing about life?  Im just glad God is judging me and everyone else, he knows the heart, a curse word does not define someone or not define them.  It is a word, there are so many more travesties in our culture than a coach that teaches his butt off everyday and motivates to the upmost but happens to let a curse word slip.  To me he has done more good than a person that has not said a word all day.  The point comes to where to draw the line, and for everyone that line will be different, and we are not the people to judge at that point. 

[quote name="mat" post="961280" timestamp="1296878037"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=79404.msg961276#msg961276 date=1296877278]
He may have, that is something we will never know.  But we do know that his way did work?  I am a strong Christian person and I do not believe in using curse words, but the only perfect person to have lived was Jesus Christ.  I think we have all said curse words, and coaches are more susceptiable because their profession is one where emotions are high all the time.  [b]That was his process, and it worked for him.  So to say it dosent work is incorrect because it did work.  I dont know if he would have been as successful, because that was not him. [/b]  He is who he was, and he got the best out of his yound men, alot of times young men that people said were very average.  Im not saying he never had good players, that is absurd, but he did more with little than most coaches do.  And he has the highest graduation rate of any college coach Im pretty sure.
[/quote]
To say that profanity is what made Knight effective would actually an insult to him.
[/quote]

You posted it.

I agree no one is perfect but by your logic, it would be OK in the classroom too.

And you are right; it's not for you or me to judge. It's the job of the superintendant and the school board

mat, no I didnt say that.  You can highlight all you want.  This is why I hat e message boards.  People read into things wrong, I did say that his cursing is what made him good, it was part of his process because that was the way he was. His way worked with using curse words, but I didnt say "he only cursed at them and that is why he was great".  Get your facts straight before posting rubish.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin