Coaches that use Profanity at players?

BADSANTA

There is a big difference between college and high school. In high school the majority of the students are still minors and coaches are also teachers. College or pros the coaches are the boss and there is a different standard allowed as they are being paid to play. Witnessed a coach and player last year cuss each other on the court, while I realize that the coach may have felt that the in your face confrontation and cussing seemed necessary I thought it was very unprofessional and should have been handled better.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="True Blue" post="957214" timestamp="1296317054"]
These are great points ,coming form fokes that have never been in a collage or Pro. lockerroom at halftime when your behind. Coach K and Knight have a way to get the point across using a few very choise word at the right time. But a guess its all personal. But if your son is getting ready to head to a collage program, they had better get ready for the real world. Its not all rosses and candy. And if they not ready to hear profanity directed toward them they might wont to check into playing at a church leauge on weekends.
[/quote]True you have no idea how many or what type locker rooms the people voiceing these opions have been in, but several have sat in college locker rooms and some have sons who are currently involved in college programs.I can also guarantee you that some that are really good players do actually play in church leagues on weekends. To insinuate that you have to cuss or berate your players to be successful is insane.There are several ways to lead people in any profession or sport but the very best ones are usually those who display the most character.

Couldnt have said it better whsalum.  No one is perfect and people all DO and SAY things they wish they hadnt but for a coach to constantly curse players to motivate is untrue.  I have been in a college lockeroom many time when I played, and there were curse words at times, but it was not one Fbomb after another.  I think it was Roosevelt that said it best, speak softly and carry a big stick.  If a coach starts cursing at players, they are going to pay more attention to the curse words then the point the coach is trying to get across.

At what time did I ever say that a coach had to constantly curse?? The question was coaches using profanity?? I never said at any coach should just F bomb everother word. But if your going to play sports past Jr high your going to hear it. And if your a parent you have to know that little Johnny is going to get a hear full, if he plays sports. Now with that being said I dont thank any coach should curse at any player on the bench in front of the fans. No adult should ever belittle a kid in front of everone.

there seems to be three distinct lines of thought here:

1.) it's ok and necessary ALL the time
2.) it's ok here and there if used judiciously
3.) it's NEVER ok

maybe it should just be a poll.

i guessed the option 3 folks would come out in the AM  :D

i think it depends on the coach AND the kids. but to say a coach doesn't have good character because he uses option 2 is unfair, and i don't think one NECESSARILY needs to use it, but the whole rational is shock factor, to get attention, to make a point. if used judiciously it can be a very effective device.

[quote name="True Blue" post="957214" timestamp="1296317054"]
These are great points ,[b]coming form fokes that have never been in a collage or Pro. lockerroom at halftime when your behind.[/b] Coach K and Knight have a way to get the point across using a few very choise word at the right time. But a guess its all personal. But if your son is getting ready to head to a collage program, they had better get ready for the real world. Its not all rosses and candy. And if they not ready to hear profanity directed toward them they might wont to check into playing at a church leauge on weekends.
[/quote]

Wow TB, I didn't know. Please share with us your halftime locker room experience at the college and pro level.  ::)

[quote name="True Blue" post="957300" timestamp="1296328142"]
At what time did I ever say that a coach had to constantly curse?? The question was coaches using profanity?? I never said at any coach should just F bomb everother word. But if your going to play sports past Jr high your going to hear it. And if your a parent you have to know that little Johnny is going to get a hear full, if he plays sports. Now with that being said [b]I dont thank any coach should curse at any player on the bench in front of the fans. No adult should ever belittle a kid in front of everone.[/b][/quote]

So they should save the belittling for a private time.  ::) ???

[quote name="hitchpin" post="957304" timestamp="1296329120"]
there seems to be three distinct lines of thought here:

1.) it's ok and necessary ALL the time
2.) it's ok here and there if used judiciously
3.) it's NEVER ok

maybe it should just be a poll.

i guessed the option 3 folks would come out in the AM  :D

i think it depends on the coach AND the kids. but to say a coach doesn't have good character because he uses option 2 is unfair, and i don't think one NECESSARILY needs to use it, but the whole rational is shock factor, [b]to get attention, to make a point. if used judiciously it can be a very effective device.[/b][/quote]

If your coaching and motivational ability is dependent on profanity for effectiveness then you are limited as a coach and motivator.

[quote name="Team Game" post="957193" timestamp="1296314273"]
Why would it be considered acceptable to use profanity in a coaching situation. In reality, coaching is "teaching" a sport and there would be issues if the teachers were using it in the classroom. There would be all source of discipline if the students/athletes were using it as well. It all comes down to respect and being responsible as leaders.
[/quote]

I agree.  HS coaches *should* conduct themselves with the same professional behavior that a teacher would since they are employed within the education system and many also teach classes.

That being said, I think there are different "degrees" of profanity.  I probably wouldn't be bothered by (and might not even notice) a coach hollering "move your a$$", but I would have a problem with something like "lazy SOB" or "worthless m.f."  Cussing directly AT someone is not motivating.

As a player I was cursed at during practices and in the locker room, but never on the floor. I have since seen coaches curse at players during games. Does it happen, yes.

Does it happen in the real world? Yes. I find it interesting that when a person askes the other at work if he/she curses at home in front of the kids, most of of the time they say no. So, why then do they think it is acceptable to do it all? Why then does a coach, which let us not forget one of the roles of a coach is to be a ROLE MODEL, do it even on the floor during a game?

The definition of profanity is: "Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly."

Enough said.

Didn't read all post. Some coaches have a military approach to their coaching. If you don't want your kid cursed, don't let him go to basic training. They don't kiss you on the cheek to wake you up.

As with any other circumstance, there are certain lines that should not be crossed and most coaches know where that line is. If a coach called my son the "P" word, I'd just have to say man up....show him you're not.

I think some kids receive a certain discipline from coaching that they don't get at home. If a few curse words are tossed around, so what? I don't think any reference to the kids parents is appropriate though.

[quote name="nuthinbutnet" post="957583" timestamp="1296395718"]
As a player I was cursed at during practices and in the locker room, but never on the floor. I have since seen coaches curse at players during games. Does it happen, yes.

Does it happen in the real world? Yes. I find it interesting that when a person askes the other at work if he/she curses at home in front of the kids, most of of the time they say no. So, why then do they think it is acceptable to do it all? Why then does a coach, which let us not forget one of the roles of a coach is to be a ROLE MODEL, do it even on the floor during a game?

[b]The definition of profanity is: "Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly."[/b]

Enough said.
[/quote]

that's not a definition, that's a quote, huge difference.

[quote name="hitchpin" post="957735" timestamp="1296429033"]
[quote author=nuthinbutnet link=topic=79404.msg957583#msg957583 date=1296395718]

[b]The definition of profanity is: "Profanity is a weak mind trying to express itself strongly."[/b]

Enough said.
[/quote]

that's not a definition, that's a quote, huge difference.
[/quote]

Pretty profound quote

[quote author=True Blue link=topic=79404.msg957601#msg957601 date=1296400830]
Look I just dont think that GOUSH GOLLALY GEE WEZZ DANGIT  Gets the point across today
[/quote]

Point proven

[color=red][b]Coaches aren't getting the respect they deserve nowadays!![/b] [/color] A child does NOT have the "right" to deserve respect from an adult/coach. This is the problem with our society! Kids have this air of expectancy...they [u]expect[/u] to be respected without giving respect themselves. Kids [u]expect[/u] to be able to break rules and not having consequences. There has always been a chain of authority and on a team the coach is at the top and the kid is on the bottom and the parent is even below THAT!!! If little Johnny is going to disrepect and talk back to a coach, I feel he shouldn't even waste his breath (cussing or coddling) and go ahead and kick the kid off the team. They do reserve that right to do so.  Coaches need to remember that THEY RUN THE PROGRAM not the kids and their parents!!!!!!!!! PLEASE......remember this coaches!!!!!!!! Respect FROM a coach will come AFTER the kid respects the coach him/herself first!!!

pg 13 .... use sparingly if need be ... it comes down to the individual tho. and the group of kids. some kids respond some dont - up to the coach to know his/her kids. but you simply can not direct it at one kid in a berating way.  -- its usualy not what you say its HOW you say it.

[quote name="trueblue75" post="957972" timestamp="1296493937"]
[color=red][b]Coaches aren't getting the respect they deserve nowadays!![/b] [/color] A child does NOT have the "right" to deserve respect from an adult/coach. This is the problem with our society! Kids have this air of expectancy...they [u]expect[/u] to be respected without giving respect themselves. Kids [u]expect[/u] to be able to break rules and not having consequences. There has always been a chain of authority and on a team the coach is at the top and the kid is on the bottom and the parent is even below THAT!!! If little Johnny is going to disrepect and talk back to a coach, I feel he shouldn't even waste his breath (cussing or coddling) and go ahead and kick the kid off the team. They do reserve that right to do so.  Coaches need to remember that THEY RUN THE PROGRAM not the kids and their parents!!!!!!!!! PLEASE......remember this coaches!!!!!!!! Respect FROM a coach will come AFTER the kid respects the coach him/herself first!!!
[/quote]
You are correct in alot of what you have said about society.  It has taken a turn for the worse.  Coaches do not get the respect they deserve even if they earn it.  It is always the coaches fault if you get beat, and the players carried the coach if they won.  Most parents do have blinders.  With that being said, I still dont see cursing a kid as a way to help him.  I really feel sorry for the kids of today when they grow up and have to meet the real world.  They have been coddled for so long and been taught that there are no consequences that it has really set them up to fail.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder