Coaches that use Profanity at players?

BADSANTA

[quote name="east texas bb" post="961655" timestamp="1296953846"]
mat, no I didnt say that.  You can highlight all you want.  This is why I hat e message boards.  People read into things wrong, I did say that his cursing is what made him good, it was part of his process because that was the way he was. His way worked with using curse words, but I didnt say "he only cursed at them and that is why he was great".  Get your facts straight before posting rubish.
[/quote]

The fact that I refered to was was your statement. I feel you may be little out of touch to think B Knight could not produce the same results without profanity.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I cant hardly understand what you wrote.  And I never said that Knight would have been less or more successful with using or without using profanity.  It was a blanket statement about a coach who used profanity and it worked for him.  IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS COACHING. He is probably my favorite coach and the best teacher to ever teach the game, but he used profanity.  It was not a deciding factor in him being good or not and I didnt say that, you read into what you wanted to believe.  That is what happens on message boards because people dont understand the context behind someones statements.  Bobby Knight was great because he was a great teacher and a great motivator.  He happen to use profanity when he chose, this did not have anything to do with his coaching ability.  mat, alot of times on these message boards you have to read something 2-3 times to understand the context, things can be added in someones mind or taken away in the readers mind that the person who posted meant.

It would be completely different issues here anyway between high school and college.The college game is alot closer to a business than most people realize.Buddy Ryan was a great football coach but do I agree with his use of the profanity laced tirades,nope.That doesn't make any less of a coach but it also doesn't make him any more of one either.

whaalum, agree completely.  He thinks I am saying that because Knight used profanity he was a good coach.  I dont think it had anything to do with his coaching.  I think it is an example of a coach that was successful who used profanity.  I think Knight would have been as great if he would have never used a curse words, because hos greatness was in his teaching. People just read into something and dont understand the context.  If he wants to believe that I said that then oh well, he can.  I know Knight for what he is.  I just used him as an example for a coach that used profanity and it worked for him, I never said that he wouldnt have been as good without profanity.  Read the post a couple of times before you post back.

What the "heck?" Throw the"goshdarn" ball! Get your "flippin" butt down! Shoot the "freekin" thing! What's the "dang" problem?

Does anyone see where I'm going with this? I would suggest that "profanity" is the intention of the word, not what each of us may view as profane. I get the arguement against using words we all [i][b]know[/b][/i] to be "cuss" words, but what about ill-intended words that may not be viewed by societal norms as "cuss" words (i.e. the above examples)?

Or is it an acceptable practice to use words that are closely related to their "relative" cuss words, provided a coach doesn't use society's unaccepted word(s)? In your heart, aren't you meaning the same thing without necessarily saying the "bad" word?

Just curious to what everyone's thoughts are.

[quote name="77" post="962779" timestamp="1297181369"]
Tony Dungy
[/quote] There is 32 head coaches and xxx numbers of ast. coaches in the NFL and You Can Only Call One :o This is all about personal preferences. What is OK by me might not work for you But its my chose. But I have told players that I have coached I wont come to your church and talk $h1T  so dont come to my gym and  preach.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="soonerbeintexas" post="962776" timestamp="1297181087"]
What the "heck?" Throw the"goshdarn" ball! Get your "flippin" butt down! Shoot the "freekin" thing! What's the "dang" problem?

Does anyone see where I'm going with this? I would suggest that "profanity" is the intention of the word, not what each of us may view as profane. I get the arguement against using words we all [i][b]know[/b][/i] to be "cuss" words, but what about ill-intended words that may not be viewed by societal norms as "cuss" words (i.e. the above examples)?

Or is it an acceptable practice to use words that are closely related to their "relative" cuss words, provided a coach doesn't use society's unaccepted word(s)? In your heart, aren't you meaning the same thing without necessarily saying the "bad" word?

Just curious to what everyone's thoughts are.
[/quote]

Great post.  Mr. or Mrs. Soonerbeintexas meet Mr. Stevenash.

[quote name="eaba26" post="962497" timestamp="1297121186"]
Can a teacher use profanity in the classroom and get away with it?  Can a student use profanity in class and get away with it?  Thats the answer to the question.  There is no need for profanity to be a good coach.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Respect.
So many schools are doing programs on bullying and what words are appropriate why would it be considered okay. If these same athletes were using some of these words in class, hall or on the court what would happen. If a coach can't use profanity with an official without a consequence then why should it be allowed.

Since we've expanded the discussion to include using profanity in the classroom, let's take it a bit farther. How about the use of profanity when training our young men and women in the armed services? Is that appropriate? I'm not trying to delve off into a subject that is off topic, but I wonder if people look at this in the same light as training kids in sports or school. Discuss.

[quote name="soonerbeintexas" post="962833" timestamp="1297186158"]
Since we've expanded the discussion to include using profanity in the classroom, let's take it a bit farther. How about the use of profanity when training our young men and women in the armed services? Is that appropriate? I'm not trying to delve off into a subject that is off topic, but I wonder if people look at this in the same light as training kids in sports or school. Discuss.
[/quote]

You didn't try to delve off topic but you most certainly did!?!
If our armed forces can't take a verbal beating then PLEASE get the hell out of the service. Cuz heaven forbid you get taken by terrorists, you WILL be tortured and I promise you they are NOT going to speak nicely and calmly to you!! If you can't take the heat then get out of the gym or off the field or whatever!! Stop babying the kids so much and let them grow up and start learning REAL life lessons!! Life isn't easy and other people don't care how you were brought up so deal with it!! Back to the military issue though....obviously our douche bag president wants pansies in the military but I personally would prefer some thick skinned brutes to protect my @ss!!! Thank you very much!!!

I think any coach that uses profanity should just be careful on how they use it.  There is a big difference in " cmon son u got to bust your A$$ to get better" or " man son your such a sorry A$$ football player".  I'm sure the ladder statement would be way more offensive and yes it is used in  a different context.  Either way the F bomb and MF bomb is probably without any arguement unnacceptable and never should be used at a player, maybe in front of a player, hahaha, but never at him or her!!  I will also ride the fence on the S bomb...I think if you tell a player "don't let them come into your house and strut around like their SH@@ dont stink" or " man son u can't block worth a SH@@" the ladder once again is more demeaning!!!  Moral or the story is to just watch how u say it!!!  Either way the special coaches will get their kids to respond irregardless!

Guest strongend
The main thing here is the coach.  Some coaches curse in daily lives and some dont.  It is not whether they have to curse to get their point across, it is the way they are.  The coach can only be himself.  If he doesnt curse in his normal everyday life, then he probably doesnt curse while he coaches.  If he does, then so be it.  There are no sure fire set of rules to coach at any level.  People that believe this are mistaken.  Ever wonder why there are all different kinds of successful coaches?  Because they are different kinds of people.  Coaching is coaching at any level.  Middle school all the way to the pros.  Some curse and some don't.  Some win both ways.  This is the dumbest post on the board.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder