Silsbee's Johnson tranfers to Lamar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="936768" timestamp="1292892801"]
So are you stereotyping everyone with dreadlocks as a gang banger? So is everyone with a shaved head a neo nazi? Must not let those players play either. And everyone over 230lbs is also representing the growing obesity problem in America. Can't let them play either. So who is left? This guy has no criminal record and is a great citizen. What's such a big idea about dreadlocks?
[/quote]

Great post

[quote name="Bruce" post="936679" timestamp="1292881545"]
Attitude matters.
Talent matters.
Work ethic matters.

Nothing else does.  Got more tattoos than Dennis Rodman?  As long as you listen to the coaches and work hard, I could care less.  Got more piercings than a punk band?  Same deal.  Be on time, put in the effort, put the team first, and I'm good with it.

I don't care if our starting QB has a crew cut, dreadlocks, no hair, orange hair, or Troy Polamalu hair.  I care if he has the talent to win games, a "team first" attitude, and the willingness to work to improve.  If he doesn't, I don't want him.  

The idea that we are good enough to be making arbitrary decisions about what a player should "look like" before we "allow" him on our roster is either asinine, naive, or both.  To be successful at our level, we're always going to need to be taking chances on guys who are a little short on ability (size, for example), who have had issues in the past, or who are looking for playing time after transferring.  To reject a guy with exceptional talent and *four* years of potential eligibility because his hairstyle doesn't meet someone's standards doesn't even deserve serious debate on this board.  

Welcome to LU, JJ.  
[/quote]

WOW!  I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!  LOOK LIKE A PUNK....ODDS ARE YOU ARE A PUNK.

I agree some of these posts are completely ignorant. Beyond the obvious image stereotyping, I don't think people understand the impact of an athletic QB. I have been a offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. Believe me, a dual threat QB is a offensive coach's best friend and biggest nightmare to a defensive coordinator.

[quote name="bigred360" post="935716" timestamp="1292694077"]
Quote from the article

[b]Johnson will compete with returning quarterbacks Doug Prewitt and Andre Bevil for the starting position[/b]. A primary focus for coaches will be to determine the best way for Johnson to impact the offense. Whether that means putting him at quarterback, running back or receiver remains to be seen.

Jeremy Johnson isn't being given anything but a shot to start at QB for Lamar.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have some ocean front property I will sell you.

[quote name="epg2793" post="936828" timestamp="1292898185"]
I agree some of these posts are completely ignorant. Beyond the obvious image stereotyping, I don't think people understand the impact of an athletic QB. I have been a offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. Believe me, a dual threat QB is a offensive coach's best friend and biggest nightmare to a defensive coordinator.
[/quote]

First, I agree IF he truly is dual threat and he carries himself with class and if he can pass college level courses.  Too many programs could care less about character.

[quote name="bigred360" post="936620" timestamp="1292873359"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=77760.msg936613#msg936613 date=1292873088]
Lu starts a qb with dreadlocks, they can have my tickets.
[/quote]

Where are your tickets as I may need a few more.
[/quote]

Mine will be available too.  Sounds like we are assembling "Wildcats".  Maybe Goldie Yawn will be our next coach.

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="936924" timestamp="1292938031"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77760.msg936890#msg936890 date=1292908250]
Don't need much weight with fools like you. ;)
[/quote]
I think a couple of these posters must-a-got an ARSE WHIPPIN  by someone with dreadlocks and are still having nightmares.... ;D.....

[/quote]I agree!

I've known JJ since he was a seventh grader and I've never once heard anything about him being a discipline problem of any type. I saw four Lamar games this year and can promise you he adds something that they were missing. He is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. He may or may not be an improvement as a passer. I think he could contribute as a quarterback, or even as a receiver, or a runningback or as a defensive back if he is needed.

[quote name="scoopno1" post="937280" timestamp="1292989711"]
I've known JJ since he was a seventh grader and I've never once heard anything about him being a discipline problem of any type. I saw four Lamar games this year and can promise you he adds something that they were missing. He is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. He may or may not be an improvement as a passer. I think he could contribute as a quarterback, or even as a receiver, or a runningback or as a defensive back if he is needed.
[/quote]

You just hit the nail on the head. He has the potential to score every time he touches the ball so he'll be on the offensive side of the ball. I like most believe that he will be a QB. We are loaded at the WR position.

[quote name="bigred360" post="936998" timestamp="1292951981"]
I really can't believe some of the post made on this forum and to read this stuff from people in SE Texas makes me sick!

[/quote]

I can. At the first home game, I listened to the drunk gentleman behind me scream about firing the coach after every stalled drive. THE FIRST GAME!

There are pockets of this area where tact and reason are foreign concepts.

For that opinion, you must be a friend, relative, alumnus of Beaumont Kelly or have some connection with Doug Prewitt....just saying... ;D

Doug Prewitt did a great job the last 3 games for Lamar. But, he wasn't offered a scholarship to play QB from ONE college/university. You think he will be better than a major college transfer from the Big East Conference? Who by the experts and major college coaching staff had JJ as a Top 10 dual threat QB in the NATION. He was rated 5th best QB overall in the state of Texas. He was a Top 100 recruit out of the state of Texas.

He was recruited by West Virginia, Baylor, Arizona, Houston, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Purdue, Southern Miss., TCU and Vanderbilt.

No, not all of them recruited him as a QB but as an athlete.

I'm the type of guy who always roots for the underdog except for Lamar, UT and probably UH. So, I like Doug Prewitt and hope he gets on the field at some position because he does have some talent.

I just think JJ can do things that will make the O line look better and he has big play potential every time the ball is snapped offensively.

How can some of you say some of the things you say and he has not played one down of college football.  He has missed a year of development, weights, and other things you need to get better, his legs look like sticks.  Now I hope he can play but I am not judging him on a weak 3a league, where he could just run away from trouble and pick up yards.  Lets see what he does before we put him in the starting role.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder