Jasper Hires Carthage DC...Garrett Morgan as Head Coach/AD

me2

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="jdawg03" post="947275" timestamp="1294893008"]
btw...the board did not conduct the process...there were three school administrators, one of whom is the superintendent who conducted all the interviews and selected Coach Morgan
[/quote]

Do you know if that was after Bowman turned it down and was it ever actually offered to Bowman??

[quote name="rykerx144" post="947271" timestamp="1294892691"]
[quote author=jdawg03 link=topic=78660.msg947268#msg947268 date=1294892520]
Those interviewed were:

Bowman- Daingerfield
Alvarez- Kirbyville
Barbay- Anahuac
Morgan- Carthage
Stowers- (Formerly Central)
Valastro- East Chambers

Reportedly Valastro was given much consideration, but the decision was made to go with Morgan
[/quote]

yea once Bowma used them!!!!
[/quote]
In fairness to Bowman, I think we should wait to see if he goes to a different school.  Supposedly Paris has an offer that he must accept or reject by mid-night.  He can only accept one job and you cannot blame a guy for increasing his odds.  But if he stays at DF, then yes he was a definite user!

[quote name="rykerx144" post="947269" timestamp="1294892595"]
I still dont like and dont agree with the way this was handled by Jasper Admin.  I'm not sure what happened but they normally do a better job than this. 
[/quote]
I think it has gone MUCH better than last time.  They seemed to stall and stall and stall.  If the hire happens on Friday, then this may be some kind of Jasper record for least time spent hiring.  :)

Apparently Bowman let the Jasper offer news out to serve his own interests.  Can't blame Jasper for that.  Jasper should have yanked the offer at that time on principle.

[quote name="jdawg03" post="947292" timestamp="1294894196"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=78660.msg947281#msg947281 date=1294893392]
[quote author=jdawg03 link=topic=78660.msg947275#msg947275 date=1294893008]
btw...the board did not conduct the process...there were three school administrators, one of whom is the superintendent who conducted all the interviews and selected Coach Morgan
[/quote]

Do you know if that was after Bowman turned it down and was it ever actually offered to Bowman??
[/quote

[/quote]
Yea Im pretty sure it was, but they got the sense he was just yanking their chain and imposed their own deadline on him

Can someone explain to me why a 29 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach has been hired over succesful guys like Alvarez and Valastro?
Not criticizing... yet. Just would like to know the reasoning behind this.
Kudos to the Jasper admin for going after a guy like Bowman! Even though the swung and missed I like that they tried to bring in a championship winning coach.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="947300" timestamp="1294896405"]
Can someone explain to me why a 29 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach has been hired over succesful guys like Alvarez and Valastro?
Kudos to the Jasper admin for going after a guy like Bowman! Even though the swung and missed I like that they tried to bring in a championship winning coach.
[/quote]
my guess is that they think he will prove to be better than the others.  maybe they liked the chemistry better.  Walkoviak was only 28 years old when they hired him and he immediately brought consistent credibility to Jasper football.  I would suggest that he was the best hire they EVER made.  In the past 60 or so years I don't think anyone else came even close to staying at Jasper 20 years.  Nor maintained his winning percentage over any appreciable time.  Here's hoping that Morgan does as well.

[quote name="bkatdog" post="947240" timestamp="1294890896"]
Hope this is true. Carthage has had quality/championship football and baseball in the same years and decade. Someone is doing something right up there in Carthage and it shows.
[/quote]

If this is indeed true we may have not hired the biggest name but I would bet we just hired the best coach.

Congratulations Jasper, you guys got a great coach. Tough for us in C-Town to lose him, but happy for him. Don't worry about his age, you will find he is not an ordinary 29 year old high school coach. Comes from great programs, has a family history with coaching at ALL levels! Jasper will be tough to deal with for a while now.

Good Luck to Coach Morgan and his family in Jasper.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="947300" timestamp="1294896405"]
[/quote] I hear what your saying. Faircloth at PN-G has done great at PN-G and that was his 1st HC Job.

IMO Jasper better hope he stays awhile because their handling of the hiring of now the last three coaches has damaged their credibility. The act of passing up quality applicants from this area to go after pie in the sky will, I think, hurt their chances of getting quality applicants from this area for any type job hire in the future. Wanting to appear smart and being smart are two different things. Good luck to Coach Morgan and the dogs. 8)

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="947372" timestamp="1294930053"]
IMO Jasper better hope he stays awhile because their handling of the hiring of now the last three coaches has damaged their credibility. The act of passing up quality applicants from this area to go after pie in the sky will, I think, hurt their chances of getting quality applicants from this area for any type job hire in the future. Wanting to appear smart and being smart are two different things. Good luck to Coach Morgan and the dogs. 8)
[/quote]

Sore. One of your friends from the area must have not gotten the job.

[quote name="pirateguy" post="947380" timestamp="1294930835"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=77679.msg947372#msg947372 date=1294930053]
[/quote]

Sore. One of your friends from the area must have not gotten the job.
[/quote]

I didn't have a dog in the hunt. Just setting up here on my mountain looking down at the commoners. lol ;D

From Smoaky

Garrett Morgan new AD/Football Coach at Jasper

Garrett Morgan will be named the AD/Football Coach at Jasper High School on Friday.

Morgan has been the assistant athletic director and defensive coordinator at Carthage High School for the past four years.

He has also been an assistant at Texas High and Copperas Cove.

Morgan told David Smoak, "I am so excited about this opportunity at Jasper, knowing their tradition and the talent on that campus. The administration has been tremendous in talking about our goals and I can't wait to get working on our off-season. I also believe the talent and commitment is there to win championships in all sports."

Morgan is a graduate of Lubbock Coronado High School and Tarleton State University.

Morgan's older brother Chris is an assistant coach in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and his younger brother, Ryan, is an offensive line coach at Longview High School.

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="947448" timestamp="1294935602"]
From Smoaky

Garrett Morgan new AD/Football Coach at Jasper

Garrett Morgan will be named the AD/Football Coach at Jasper High School on Friday.

Morgan has been the assistant athletic director and defensive coordinator at Carthage High School for the past four years.

He has also been an assistant at Texas High and Copperas Cove.

Morgan told David Smoak, "I am so excited about this opportunity at Jasper, knowing their tradition and the talent on that campus. The administration has been tremendous in talking about our goals and I can't wait to get working on our off-season. I also believe the talent and commitment is there to win championships in all sports."

Morgan is a graduate of Lubbock Coronado High School and Tarleton State University.

Morgan's older brother Chris is an assistant coach in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and his younger brother, Ryan, is an offensive line coach at Longview High School.
[/quote]

The board has voted or not voted?  Usually you don't give interviews until it's sign sealed and delivered huh?  Thought the board votes Friday?  Maybe they've already done it.  Congrats to Morgan.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder