Jasper Hires Carthage DC...Garrett Morgan as Head Coach/AD

me2

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Coach Morgan and the Jasper Bulldog fans, it looks like the Board got it right. Defense wins championships, as they say, and it has worked for WOS for many years. I'm sure some new coaches will make their way to Jasper as they would with any new coaching regime. From reading other posts we are getting a good coach with a good background from some quality programs with a large school flavor. The biggest thing for me is the posts from Carthage and his support from that community.

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=974&NewsID=993498&CategoryID=17046&on=1

During his time at Carthage, Morgan has served as an Assistant Athletic Director and Defensive Coordinator where the Carthage Bulldogs ended up with an overall record of 53-7 and won three consecutive class 3A State Championships. Prior to that, Carthage reportedly won a district championship in football in the previous 15 years. In addition Morgan also is said to have served as an assistant at schools in Copperas Cove and Texarkana.

VIDEO of Morgan

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/huddle/2011/01/13/a-look-at-who-may-be-the-next-jasper-football-coach/

[quote name="bigdog90" post="947616" timestamp="1294952453"]
well folks the drama is over we have a new coach thank god lets get the dawgs rolling COM ON COACH MORGAN
[/quote]

Drama ain't over until the school board approves... is it a lock they approve?  If it is a lock, well then maybe the drama is over.

Anybody in J-town or connections to J-town know for sure it's a lock?  Unanimous or split? 

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="947448" timestamp="1294935602"]
From Smoaky

Garrett Morgan new AD/Football Coach at Jasper

Garrett Morgan will be named the AD/Football Coach at Jasper High School on Friday.

Morgan has been the assistant athletic director and defensive coordinator at Carthage High School for the past four years.

He has also been an assistant at Texas High and Copperas Cove.

Morgan told David Smoak, "I am so excited about this opportunity at Jasper, knowing their tradition and the talent on that campus. The administration has been tremendous in talking about our goals and I can't wait to get working on our off-season. I also believe the talent and commitment is there to win championships in all sports."

Morgan is a graduate of Lubbock Coronado High School and Tarleton State University.

Morgan's older brother Chris is an assistant coach in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and his younger brother, Ryan, is an offensive line coach at Longview High School.
[/quote]ahhhh a West Texan to run things in East Texas  ;D

Do believe the drama is over and this is a lock. I believe the energy surrounding Jasper Football next year is going to be awesome. They have some good kids coming back and some good kids coming up. Thank the Lord we wont be running that crazy defense again this year! Hope he comes in and evaluates all talent and puts every kid where they best fit his scheme, not necessarily where they played in the past. I like this hire. 

[quote name="Jbdfan" post="947814" timestamp="1294975062"]
Do believe the drama is over and this is a lock. I believe the energy surrounding Jasper Football next year is going to be awesome. They have some good kids coming back and some good kids coming up. Thank the Lord we wont be running that crazy defense again this year! Hope he comes in and evaluates all talent and puts every kid where they best fit his scheme, not necessarily where they played in the past. I like this hire. 
[/quote]
I agree.  This is probably a better hire than even Bowman would have been.  Get 'em young while they still have energy and ambition.  And hope they stay awhile........  Welcome Coach Morgan!!!  That is even a good Jasper name!

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="947300" timestamp="1294896405"]
Can someone explain to me why a 29 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach has been hired over succesful guys like Alvarez and Valastro?
[/quote]

I thought the Carthage QB was his son...If so how could he be 29?  Don't know much about the Morgans other than one about 5-8, 165lbs lit up my sons team about a month ago in Arlington....

[quote name="MEM" post="948392" timestamp="1295056732"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=77679.msg947300#msg947300 date=1294896405]
Can someone explain to me why a 29 year old coordinator who has never been a head coach has been hired over succesful guys like Alvarez and Valastro?
[/quote]

I thought the Carthage QB was his son...If so how could he be 29?  Don't know much about the Morgans other than one about 5-8, 165lbs lit up my sons team about a month ago in Arlington....

[/quote]
not the same Morgan.

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="948652" timestamp="1295069029"]
[quote author=MEM link=topic=77679.msg948571#msg948571 date=1295064366]
thanks....Sounds like it's a pretty good coaching family
[/quote]

I didn't know they were brothers.  Are they?
[/quote]
I think I read that they are not related.  Not sure though.

Wow... nothing against Morgan, i am sure he is a fine coach, but i still can not believe they did not take Jack.....Again!!! second time they turned him down....
they might live to regret this again...
If I was Alverez, I would run up the score as high as I could to prove a point....
Go Cats!!! put another beatdown on them just like the last 6 years under Alverez....

[quote name="hitman009" post="949312" timestamp="1295203060"]
Wow... nothing against Morgan, i am sure he is a fine coach, but i still can not believe they did not take Jack.....Again!!! second time they turned him down....
If I was Alverez, I would run up the score as high as I could to prove a point....
Go Cats!!! put another beatdown on them just like the last 6 years under Alverez....
[/quote]

Those days are over my friend.

Be careful what you wish for. I watched what Carthage did to to my Bulldogs for two years in 18aaa. The Kirbyville beatdowns of past years are nothing compared to what Carthage could have done to us but chose not to. The beatdown you speak about may soon be reversed.

[quote name="jeffcoat" post="949336" timestamp="1295205953"]
[quote author=hitman009 link=topic=77679.msg949312#msg949312 date=1295203060]
[/quote]

Be careful what you wish for. I watched what Carthage did to to my Bulldogs for two years in 18aaa. The Kirbyville beatdowns of past years are nothing compared to what Carthage could have done to us but chose not to. The beatdown you speak about may soon be reversed.

[/quote]Gonna take time ... see that's the problem with Jasper ... feel all they need is change ... the sad thing is ... the score last year could have been worse ... the dogs (no pun intended) were called off ... may be a closer game this year ... you may win .... certainly not gonna be a reverse of this year

[quote name="BigWildcat11" post="949409" timestamp="1295215346"]
[quote author=jeffcoat link=topic=77679.msg949336#msg949336 date=1295205953]
[/quote]

[/quote]Gonna take time ... see that's the problem with Jasper ... feel all they need is change ... the sad thing is ... the score last year could have been worse ... the dogs (no pun intended) were called off ... may be a closer game this year ... you may win .... certainly not gonna be a reverse of this year
[/quote] And Jasper is NO Carthage ... my friend ...

[quote name="BigWildcat11" post="949414" timestamp="1295215417"]
[quote author=BigWildcat11 link=topic=77679.msg949409#msg949409 date=1295215346]
[quote author=jeffcoat link=topic=77679.msg949336#msg949336 date=1295205953]
[/quote]

[/quote] And Jasper is NO Carthage ... my friend ...
[/quote] Plus the fact that the so called JV powerhouse you had beat a jv team with mostly freshmen and a few sophomores thrown in ...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder