It's haircut or get cut in Silsbee basketball

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="929203" timestamp="1291907849"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=77234.msg929195#msg929195 date=1291907065]
Joe Sigler had this in effect for Silsbee back in the 80's and 90's. You could wear a nice and neat afro but no braids. People get real! If you want to work or play for anyone you have to abide by their rules. If you don't like try and find something else to do. Travis is trying to help mold these young men to accept dicipline. Its a freaking hair cut! If your a great athelete, you will cut your hair to get under team ploicy. If a parent is more concerned about this than their kids grades or chance at a higher education this would be sad.
[/quote]Actually your discipline comes from arriving to practice on time, hustling on and off the court, running lines or suicides, etc, etc, bah-hhhh!!! ;) Kids aren't stupid. They wear that same  hair on life's broader stages: to class, church, in the community,
etc.
[/quote]Excellent point...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="alice" post="929207" timestamp="1291908434"]
Creating exceptions to rules or lack of rules create many additional problems. The learning of personal sacrifice for the sake of the team is a noble concept, it's a shame Albert Haynesworth didn't learn those lessons.
[/quote]For every Albert you name, I can name five more who did learn lessons.

[quote name="mfd814" post="929205" timestamp="1291908108"]
I actually don't mind the mini fros, braids, dreads, if they are kept neat. I would not like the long braids, since they could pull on them when the ref isn't looking.  But if this is a rule that the head coach has made, my son would abide by it.
[/quote]I agree ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="929212" timestamp="1291908596"]
[quote author=mfd814 link=topic=77234.msg929205#msg929205 date=1291908108]
I actually don't mind the mini fros, braids, dreads, if they are kept neat. I would not like the long braids, since they could pull on them when the ref isn't looking.  But if this is a rule that the head coach has made, my son would abide by it.
[/quote]I agree ;)
[/quote]Ditto...

[quote name="Tweeter" post="929213" timestamp="1291908658"]
Discipline comes in many forms dove. Absolutely from your examples. Also from making the choice to abide by standards set in place by the boss.
[/quote]I remember on Fridays you could go to work in jeans. It was not acceptable...hmmm?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="929210" timestamp="1291908575"]
[quote author=alice link=topic=77234.msg929207#msg929207 date=1291908434]
Creating exceptions to rules or lack of rules create many additional problems. The learning of personal sacrifice for the sake of the team is a noble concept, it's a shame Albert Haynesworth didn't learn those lessons.
[/quote]

It does'nt take but one rotten apple to spoil the whole crate

[quote name="alice" post="929241" timestamp="1291911388"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=77234.msg929210#msg929210 date=1291908575]
[quote author=alice link=topic=77234.msg929207#msg929207 date=1291908434]
[/quote]

It does'nt take but one rotten apple to spoil the whole crate
[/quote]I'm noticing!

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Scalp'em" post="929194" timestamp="1291907056"]
Everybody on SETXSPORTS has to cut their hair to post on this subject anymore ;D
[/quote]

Coincidence that Scalp'em brought this up.  I'm already as smooth as a cue ball. 8)

Silsbee guys, I was just trying to help you out and let you know you got bigger fish to skin than worry about a hair cut.  You are playing right into what your opponents want.  I was trying to keep you from beating yourselves.  Forget I said anything about it, I was just trying to help you out.  IF you want to worry about haircuts while your opponents worry about basketball then more power to you.  Sorry I said anything, just trying to help you guys realize that you are playing  right into their hands.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929330" timestamp="1291917828"]
Silsbee guys, I was just trying to help you out and let you know you got bigger fish to skin than worry about a hair cut.  You are playing right into what your opponents want.  I was trying to keep you from beating yourselves.  Forget I said anything about it, I was just trying to help you out.  IF you want to worry about haircuts while your opponents worry about basketball then more power to you.  Sorry I said anything, just trying to help you guys realize that you are playing  right into their hands.
[/quote]You made very good points.

First off noone in Silsbee that needs to be focused on bball is worried about a haircut. Second I am glad Badsanta brought up Sigler. If what I heard was correct Sigler had a returning starter from the team that went 31-1, get a hairstyle over the summer.  Sigler wouldn't let him play the next year. As I heard it, may or may not be true, Soulja he tried to go play at Central and was told no for the same reason!  I can not say that is correct all I know for a fact is that he did not play in Silsbee that year.

ST413 you are correct! I was a part of that team. The player was a key returning starter but he chose to wear a afro and not play. I wish he had of played that year but to each his own. If Joe or Travis sets a rule in place, its to help not hurt you. While playing under Sigler, you were also required to wear a team issued polo shirt on game days. The shirt was to be ironed and neatly tucked in. You are a member of a team. Whatever is required to make the team better, you should do it. I know hair styles are trends or freedom of expression. If you chose grow it out over the summer or off seson. People make stuff such a big deal for no reason. ITS A HAIR CUT!

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929330" timestamp="1291917828"]
[b]Silsbee guys, I was just trying to help you out and let you know you got bigger fish to skin than worry about a hair cut[/b].  You are playing right into what your opponents want.  I was trying to keep you from beating yourselves.  Forget I said anything about it, I was just trying to help you out.  IF you want to worry about haircuts while your opponents worry about basketball then more power to you.  Sorry I said anything, just trying to help you guys realize that you are playing  right into their hands.
[/quote]

I know IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m not worried about anything  ::) ::)
All the varsity players are obeying by the rules and playing some good ball right now
The conflict is with the middle school not high school
So I donĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t see why youĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re saying we need to be worried  

[quote name="KFDM KERRY COOPER" post="928882" timestamp="1291843376"]
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Southeast-Texas-athletes-must-see-a-barber-to-868730.php
[/quote]absolutely dumb IMO. I'd transfer. Last time i checked hair doesnt put the ball in the hoop, talent does.

i'm with soulja and scooter on this one.  it's pretty dumb to me to take away a high school or middle schooler's ability to express themselves.  as long as they conduct themselves in a manner that reflects well upon the program, who cares what their hair looks like?  i do like how the kids dress up before the games.  this is one of those rules that reflects well upon the program without affecting the kids outside of basketball. 

[quote name="bullets13" post="929589" timestamp="1291938525"]
i'm with soulja and scooter on this one.  it's pretty dumb to me to take away a high school or middle schooler's ability to express themselves.  as long as they conduct themselves in a manner that reflects well upon the program, who cares what their hair looks like?  i do like how the kids dress up before the games.  this is one of those rules that reflects well upon the program without affecting the kids outside of basketball. 
[/quote]its the dumbest thing i've heard of since Jasper installed that rule for their football team years ago.

I can't wait to see when Silsbee has the best player in the entire state at the school and he's given a choice-----cut the hair or you dont play for me. absolutely utterly dumb. They're kids not NBA professional players.

It is what it is. If the coach says no long hair, no ear rings, wear a shirt and tie, wear a jacket, whatever..if you want to play, do it. We are talking about high school kids, not pro, premadonna whiney adults.  Prior to my senior year, we didn't have a dress code. When the new coach came in and put his rules into place, not one kid quit. This was back in the days of the mullet and jeri (sp) curls.  Cut it or don't play. We all Played. Lace it up and hit the floor.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder