It's haircut or get cut in Silsbee basketball

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant begin to address what SFAJACK02 was saying, or trying to say.  People having human kids? Hasnt effecting anything in the past?  He has had the rule for 7 years.  Wanted to extend his idea on down to the 7th/8th grade.  Great idea.
What kind of message does dreadlocks, afros, long shaggy hair have.  Usually an unprofessional look.  A look of disorganization, exactly the opposite of what you want for your team.  If a player likes his hair more than playing ball then dont play.  This is not a racial issue. Why do some want to try to make it one.  The message he wants to send is of organization, uniformity, professionalism.  Something the kids need for basketball and for life. 
And there are only a few Pro athletes I would want my children to have as role models.  There are so many more people deserving role model status by our youth.

If I was a member of the Silsbee Tigers, a fan, or parent I would be more worried about how I was going to beat Cleveland and HJ than a haircut.  This is exactly what these clubs want, for you to fight amongst yourselves.  Quit worrrying about your hair and put emphasis on the game and the coach will handle the rest.  Parents and fans, just support your team.  Dont beat yourselves.

ST413 , you just seem like a 'yes man'.  You add no substance to the argument.  You will probably be ok with the coach if he told the kids to hop on one leg with one shoe off while going from class to class... 

east texas bb, you talk about professional looking.  In whom's eyes?  I've seen very professional looking people with different hair styles.  You wear nice shoes, starched or creased pants, nice shirt, nice cologne, tasteful tie, hair neat...  things like that.  It seems very stereotype.  And again, these kids do everything right.  They are winning.  Very disciplined club, winning record and will probably win their district.  the higher ups are pulling the puppet strings... 

Trust me, all the players on the high school teams (varsity, JV and 9th) have no problem with the policies that Travis has laid forth to the team. All the players conform. There is no "in-fighting" about it.

The article is about TWO mothers of TWO middle school players who have kids on the middle school team who have to get their haircut to play on the teams. Coach Williams policies have been at the high school for years but this is the first year that the middle school has incorporated the same policies. The TWO mothers are just complaining about it and went to the papers to make it public.

This whole issue is a classic "mountain out of molehill" thing.

Soulja, it's not anything like you think it is. Politics?? You have no clue. It's two crying mommas is all it is.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929095" timestamp="1291877785"]
[b]If I was a member of the Silsbee Tigers, a fan, or parent I would be more worried about how I was going to beat Cleveland and HJ than a haircut.[/b]   This is exactly what these clubs want, for you to fight amongst yourselves.  Quit worrrying about your hair and put emphasis on the game and the coach will handle the rest.  Parents and fans, just support your team.  Dont beat yourselves.
[/quote]Yes, exactly.  That's what Silsbee's staff needs to worry about.  Keep winning and stop nagging about something that have nothing to do with winning ball games or anything of substance.  

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929106" timestamp="1291897337"]
ST413 , you just seem like a 'yes man'.  You add no substance to the argument.  You will probably be ok with the coach if he told the kids to hop on one leg with one shoe off while going from class to class... 

east texas bb, you talk about professional looking.  In whom's eyes?  I've seen very professional looking people with different hair styles.  You wear nice shoes, starched or creased pants, nice shirt, nice cologne, tasteful tie, hair neat...  things like that.  It seems very stereotype.  And again, these kids do everything right.  They are winning.  Very disciplined club, winning record and will probably win their district.  [b]the higher ups are pulling the puppet strings...  [/b]
[/quote]

Soulja, just who do you mean when referring to the "higher ups"?

Just so you'll know (since you are obviously oblivious to the facts here ::)) this is Travis' policy, no one else's. The football team and other teams do not have this hair policy. So if you are thinking that the "higher ups" has anything to do with it, then why are the other sports not affected?

I guess I am just a "yes" man too. ::) I would rather be that than be a fool that spouts off not knowing the facts of the matter.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="929107" timestamp="1291897645"]
Trust me, all the players on the high school teams (varsity, JV and 9th) have no problem with the policies that Travis has laid forth to the team. All the players conform. There is no "in-fighting" about it.

The article is about TWO mothers of TWO middle school players who have kids on the middle school team who have to get their haircut to play on the teams. Coach Williams policies have been at the high school for years but this is the first year that the middle school has incorporated the same policies. The TWO mothers are just complaining about it and went to the papers to make it public.

This whole issue is a classic "mountain out of molehill" thing.

Soulja, it's not anything like you think it is. Politics?? You have no clue. It's two crying mommas is all it is.
[/quote]Ok.  I believe you, man.  I just seen where they mentioned McDaniel in the article and I know  he was a football kid and I know he have the flat top fade.  I can roll with the 'mountain/mole hill' thing.  It's just some of the choice of words that was used in that article didn't sit right with me...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929108" timestamp="1291897661"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929095#msg929095 date=1291877785]
[b]If I was a member of the Silsbee Tigers, a fan, or parent I would be more worried about how I was going to beat Cleveland and HJ than a haircut.[/b]   This is exactly what these clubs want, for you to fight amongst yourselves.  Quit worrrying about your hair and put emphasis on the game and the coach will handle the rest.  Parents and fans, just support your team.  Dont beat yourselves.
[/quote]Yes, exactly.  That's what Silsbee's staff needs to worry about.  Keep winning and stop nagging about something that have nothing to do with winning ball games or anything of substance.  
[/quote]

The staff nor the players are worried about this issue. None have a problem with it. Like I said, it's two crying middle school mommas.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="929112" timestamp="1291898235"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=77234.msg929106#msg929106 date=1291897337]

east texas bb, you talk about professional looking.  In whom's eyes?  I've seen very professional looking people with different hair styles.  You wear nice shoes, starched or creased pants, nice shirt, nice cologne, tasteful tie, hair neat...  things like that.  It seems very stereotype.  And again, these kids do everything right.  They are winning.  Very disciplined club, winning record and will probably win their district.  [b]the higher ups are pulling the puppet strings...  [/b]
[/quote]

Soulja, just who do you mean when referring to the "higher ups"?

Just so you'll know (since you are obviously oblivious to the facts here ::)) this is Travis' policy, no one else's. The football team and other teams do not have this hair policy. So if you are thinking that the "higher ups" has anything to do with it, then why are the other sports not affected?

I guess I am just a "yes" man too. ::) I would rather be that than be a fool that spouts off not knowing the facts of the matter.
[/quote]I'm no fool.  I know what I read and I did read those word choices and I can read between that other BS.  All I know is that the kids do the right thing but yet, that's not enough.  Then you have the 'yes man' that will just roll with anything the coach say, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. (if the shoe fits, wear it).  As I said, these are some good kids that do the right thing.  Hair style should be the least of their worries.  And if the hair policy have been in place for years now, why is is being brought up.  because of 2 parents.  You can say two disgruntal parents but why are we talking about one of the high school kids since this is about extending the policy down to the middle school ranks?

Obviously, you did not "read" my post very well. The reason it is being brought up now is that this is the first year the policy is at the middle school where these two momma's kids play. They are the one's doing the complaining. McDaniel knew of the hair policy years ago but never was interested in playing anyways. I really do not know why he decided to get involved in this article (or is it that he maybe related to one of the mommas ;))

My point is, the article told the side of the mommas at the middle school, never interviewed Coach Williams or any of his staff. The statements that represented Travis came from the parents.

Soulja, we can go "round and round" about this but the problem is, I know the facts and you are basing your's off an article of a paper that you personally call a joke of a paper.

Again, mountain out of molehills. ;)

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929108" timestamp="1291897661"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929095#msg929095 date=1291877785]
[/quote]

Why is anyone [u][b]not involved[/b][/u] in the Silsbee ISD, Silsbee High School Athletics and /or the Silsbee community WORRIED about what Silsbee ought to be worried about?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="929119" timestamp="1291899386"]
Obviously, you did not "read" my post very well. The reason it is being brought up now is that this is the first year the policy is at the middle school where these two momma's kids play. They are the one's doing the complaining. McDaniel knew of the hair policy years ago but never was interested in playing anyways. I really do not know why he decided to get involved in this article (or is it that he maybe related to one of the mommas ;))

My point is, the article told the side of the mommas at the middle school, never interviewed Coach Williams or any of his staff. The statements that represented Travis came from the parents.

Soulja, we can go "round and round" about this but the problem is, I know the facts and [b]you are basing your's off an article of a paper that you personally call a joke of a paper. [/b]
Again, mountain out of molehills. ;)
[/quote]Yea, true.  ;D ;D

[quote name="tigersvoice" post="929120" timestamp="1291899589"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=77234.msg929108#msg929108 date=1291897661]
[/quote]

Why is anyone [u][b]not involved[/b][/u] in the Silsbee ISD, Silsbee High School Athletics and /or the Silsbee community WORRIED about what Silsbee ought to be worried about?
[/quote]Just goes to show how little you know.  I am involved in the Silsbee comunity.  I have a very close relative that is involved in Silsbee athletics.  (young now of course and not in High School for quite a few years now).  And even if I wasn't involved, why can I not voice my opinion?

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929093" timestamp="1291875370"]
I cant begin to address what SFAJACK02 was saying, or trying to say.  People having human kids? Hasnt effecting anything in the past?  He has had the rule for 7 years.  Wanted to extend his idea on down to the 7th/8th grade.  Great idea.
What kind of message does dreadlocks, afros, long shaggy hair have.  Usually an unprofessional look.  A look of disorganization, exactly the opposite of what you want for your team.  If a player likes his hair more than playing ball then dont play.  This is not a racial issue. Why do some want to try to make it one.  The message he wants to send is of organization, uniformity, professionalism.  Something the kids need for basketball and for life. 
And there are only a few Pro athletes I would want my children to have as role models.  There are so many more people deserving role model status by our youth.

[/quote]

They have it in the NBA and doesnt affect anything. This is not a job interview its basketball. This not going to determine world peace or the next president. That gets a COME ON MAN!!!! You should be the role model to your kids and not basketball players. Im a black man myself and I dont think its a race issue I just feel that individuals(Thats right individuals) should chose what they want to do with their hair. WE ARE A DEMOCRACY IN THE USA RIGHT?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124