It's haircut or get cut in Silsbee basketball

Yes we do live in the USA and yes it is still a Democracy and No one has told the kid he has to cut his hair. But it is his choice ,if he wont to play after school that the rules. I know most kids today have no idea what that word is. But welcome to the real  world that most of use have to live in.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="929155" timestamp="1291904690"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929093#msg929093 date=1291875370]
I cant begin to address what SFAJACK02 was saying, or trying to say.  People having human kids? Hasnt effecting anything in the past?  He has had the rule for 7 years.  Wanted to extend his idea on down to the 7th/8th grade.  Great idea.
What kind of message does dreadlocks, afros, long shaggy hair have.  Usually an unprofessional look.  A look of disorganization, exactly the opposite of what you want for your team.  If a player likes his hair more than playing ball then dont play.  This is not a racial issue. Why do some want to try to make it one.  The message he wants to send is of organization, uniformity, professionalism.  Something the kids need for basketball and for life. 
And there are only a few Pro athletes I would want my children to have as role models.  There are so many more people deserving role model status by our youth.

[/quote]

They have it in the NBA and doesnt affect anything. This is not a job interview its basketball. This not going to determine world peace or the next president. That gets a COME ON MAN!!!! You should be the role model to your kids and not basketball players. Im a black man myself and I dont think its a race issue I just feel that individuals(Thats right individuals) should chose what they want to do with their hair. WE ARE A DEMOCRACY IN THE USA RIGHT?
[/quote]It's only natural that basketball kid's role models are NBA players since it is probably every basketball kid's dream to play in the NBA...They want to dress like them, talk like them, swagger like them...  ect...

[quote name="no-look" post="929160" timestamp="1291905457"]
The Silsbee coach has SPOKEN wheather it is a good rule or not........my wife makes me shave every day wheather I want to or not... ;D
[/quote]My Girlfriend tells me she wants me to wear button down shirts everytime we go out to eat and I have yet to listen unless I feel like it.  but that don't stop me from being a gentlemen...

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="929161" timestamp="1291905592"]
and a student can choose not to play basketball for Silsbee if his hair is that important to him. ;)

No one is being forced to do anything. It's still a choice.
[/quote]AAW, that's telling him that he 'have' to cut his hair.  Come on, man!   :D

[quote name="True Blue" post="929164" timestamp="1291905706"]
Yes we do live in the USA and yes it is still a Democracy and No one has told the kid he has to cut his hair. But it is his choice ,if he wont to play after school that the rules. I know most kids today have no idea what that word is. But welcome to the real  world that most of use have to live in.
[/quote]These kids are more smarter than you will ever know.

[quote name="no-look" post="929172" timestamp="1291906161"]
When coach Lloyd was at Huntington.....you couldn't have a girl friend during basketball season.....the kids wanted to play bb more than they wanted a female relationship.....there wasn't a parent issue about it either.
[/quote]But you know you cannot stop a teenager from getting a girlfriend if they wanted to.  You can't watch them 24/7, but you can trust them to make the right decision...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929171" timestamp="1291906146"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=77234.msg929160#msg929160 date=1291905457]
The Silsbee coach has SPOKEN wheather it is a good rule or not........my wife makes me shave every day wheather I want to or not... ;D
[/quote]My Girlfriend tells me she wants me to wear button down shirts everytime we go out to eat and I have yet to listen unless I feel like it.  but that don't stop me from being a gentlemen...
[/quote]But you probally feel like it a lot...  ;D

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="929173" timestamp="1291906213"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=77234.msg929161#msg929161 date=1291905592]
and a student can choose not to play basketball for Silsbee if his hair is that important to him. ;)

No one is being forced to do anything. It's still a choice.
[/quote]

They are being forced to cut their hair!
[/quote] 8) 8)

[quote name="no-look" post="929177" timestamp="1291906412"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=77234.msg929171#msg929171 date=1291906146]
[/quote]But you probally feel like it a lot...  ;D
[/quote]No comment... :D

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="929155" timestamp="1291904690"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929093#msg929093 date=1291875370]
I cant begin to address what SFAJACK02 was saying, or trying to say.  People having human kids? Hasnt effecting anything in the past?  He has had the rule for 7 years.  Wanted to extend his idea on down to the 7th/8th grade.  Great idea.
What kind of message does dreadlocks, afros, long shaggy hair have.  Usually an unprofessional look.  A look of disorganization, exactly the opposite of what you want for your team.  If a player likes his hair more than playing ball then dont play.  This is not a racial issue. Why do some want to try to make it one.  The message he wants to send is of organization, uniformity, professionalism.  Something the kids need for basketball and for life.  
And there are only a few Pro athletes I would want my children to have as role models.  There are so many more people deserving role model status by our youth.

[/quote]

They have it in the NBA and doesnt affect anything. This is not a job interview its basketball. This not going to determine world peace or the next president. That gets a COME ON MAN!!!! You should be the role model to your kids and not basketball players. Im a black man myself and I dont think its a race issue I just feel that individuals(Thats right individuals) should chose what they want to do with their hair. WE ARE A DEMOCRACY IN THE USA RIGHT?
[/quote]

Of course, we practice democracy. But there are a number of organizations within the democracy wherein individuals are asked to put aside their freedom of expression to be part of the unit, both in in the public and private sector.  The way I see it, Coach Williams is asking each and every one of the players in his organization a question from the very outset that he in some way or another asks them in every practice and every game.  That question is "Are you willing to put your team first and your individuality last?"  Is any coach in a team sport to be faulted for asking that of his players?

[quote name="no-look" post="929172" timestamp="1291906161"]
When coach Lloyd was at Huntington.....you couldn't have a girl friend during basketball season.....the kids wanted to play bb more than they wanted a female relationship.....there wasn't a parent issue about it either.
[/quote]Hmmm! A comedian could really play up on your statement & twist it in so many ways. :)

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="929181" timestamp="1291906589"]
[quote author=SFAJACK02 link=topic=77234.msg929155#msg929155 date=1291904690]
I cant begin to address what SFAJACK02 was saying, or trying to say.  People having human kids? Hasnt effecting anything in the past?  He has had the rule for 7 years.  Wanted to extend his idea on down to the 7th/8th grade.  Great idea.
What kind of message does dreadlocks, afros, long shaggy hair have.  Usually an unprofessional look.  A look of disorganization, exactly the opposite of what you want for your team.  If a player likes his hair more than playing ball then dont play.  This is not a racial issue. Why do some want to try to make it one.  The message he wants to send is of organization, uniformity, professionalism.  Something the kids need for basketball and for life.  
And there are only a few Pro athletes I would want my children to have as role models.  There are so many more people deserving role model status by our youth.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course, we practice democracy. But there are a number of organizations within the democracy wherein individuals are asked to put aside their freedom of expression to be part of the unit, both in in the public and private sector.  The way I see it, Coach Williams is asking each and every one of the players in his organization a question from the very outset that he in some way or another asks them in every practice and every game.  That question is "Are you willing to put your team first and your individuality last?"  Is any coach in a team sport to be faulted for asking that of his players?
[/quote]Grad, I see what your saying. And I'm not brushing that asside.  But we're not talking about a rowdy bunch or a couple of street thug punk kids.  We're talking about kids that do the right thing.  They are a good team and they win ball games. 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="929182" timestamp="1291906669"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=77234.msg929172#msg929172 date=1291906161]
[/quote]Hmmm! A comedian could really play up on your statement & twist it in so many ways. :)
[/quote]Things weren't so twisted back then...lol....

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929171" timestamp="1291906146"]
[/quote]
And that's why your hands always hurt (in my Barry white voice) hahahaha

[quote name="no-look" post="929187" timestamp="1291906852"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=77234.msg929182#msg929182 date=1291906669]
[/quote]Tings weren't so twisted back then...lol....
[/quote]So I guess things were [color=pink]straight[/color] back then?

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="929189" timestamp="1291906918"]
[/quote]
[/quote]LOL!

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="929189" timestamp="1291906918"]
[/quote]
[/quote] :D

Joe Sigler had this in effect for Silsbee back in the 80's and 90's. You could wear a nice and neat afro but no braids. People get real! If you want to work or play for anyone you have to abide by their rules. If you don't like try and find something else to do. Travis is trying to help mold these young men to accept dicipline. Its a freaking hair cut! If your a great athelete, you will cut your hair to get under team ploicy. If a parent is more concerned about this than their kids grades or chance at a higher education this would be sad.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="929190" timestamp="1291906964"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=77234.msg929187#msg929187 date=1291906852]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=77234.msg929182#msg929182 date=1291906669]
[/quote]Tings weren't so twisted back then...lol....
[/quote]So I guess things were [color=pink]straight[/color] back then?
[/quote]Straight...er..

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="929195" timestamp="1291907065"]
Joe Sigler had this in effect for Silsbee back in the 80's and 90's. You could wear a nice and neat afro but no braids. People get real! If you want to work or play for anyone you have to abide by their rules. If you don't like try and find something else to do. Travis is trying to help mold these young men to accept dicipline. Its a freaking hair cut! If your a great athelete, you will cut your hair to get under team ploicy. If a parent is more concerned about this than their kids grades or chance at a higher education this would be sad.
[/quote]Actually your discipline comes from arriving to practice on time, hustling on and off the court, running lines or suicides, etc, etc, bah-hhhh!!! ;) Kids aren't stupid. They wear that same  hair on life's broader stages: to class, church, in the community,
etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124