Is Hj's "Zjori Bosha" The Best Freshman in our area??

Betrayed

Nice post east texas bb..............but I dont think that anyone said that the HJ or the HF kids were potential NBA players.  They were just stating that they are very good freshman players and/or junior high players.  I agree that some people get over zealous and start labeling kids the next super star, but I think it is more off a very good for being 13 and 14 years old.

But I do like your post!!!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="east texas bb" post="924351" timestamp="1291319963"]
One question for the Bosha kid and the HF kid for those who have seen them play.  Do they make most of their shots off the dribble?  There are alot of players who can shoot the ball, but only a few who can create their own shot within the offense.  This statement is coming from someone saying the Bosha kid hit 8 3's the other night.  I know alot of  players who have made a living off of kickouts. I dont know if this is happenign or not because I have not seen them play. Did he create the shots or were they kickouts?  If they were kickouts then I would not consider him a star.
Secondly, I just wanted everyone to take a step back and look at this from we are judging a freshmen and 8th grade players.  It is a little too early to say what they will do in college and life.  I dont know if anybody remembers Michael Leblanc or Calvin Murphy Junior who were supposed to be stars and the next NBA players when they played for the Hoops.  Murphy ended up at Niagra, a small school in the Northest and Leblance went to Conneticut, could not play and ended back at Houston Baptist.  These are just a couple of examples of young kids who everyone thought were stars and future NBA players that did not come close. I too played against the Houston Hoops, beat the Houston Select and played for them as well.  I got camps paid for and had letters in the mail from major D1 colleges starting my soph and junior year.  This was about 15 years ago.  I improved some from my junior to senior year and still received letters and visits and all that stuff.  I played Division 2 ball, had the opportunity to play at the Division 1 level in the Northeast but did not want to move.  My point in this is I worked my tail off everyday and lived and breathed basketball and received the same "hype" for lack of a better word and ended up playing D2.  Dont stop dreaming and working hard, but realize that paid camps and letters from colleges is a long way from playing at Duke or the NBA.  
I also agree 100 percent about Little Dribblers and some coaches who play kids just because of affiliation with someone who has a little power in a small town.  That does happen but you usually will not see it in good programs.  If you do see it in programs they will not be very good. I also agree that you will get college scholarships from playing in AAU and camps, but a State Championships was always the most important to me.  It was not something that was great for the spring, it was my biggest dream.
[/quote]

great post

[quote name="east texas bb" post="924351" timestamp="1291319963"]
One question for the Bosha kid and the HF kid for those who have seen them play.  Do they make most of their shots off the dribble?  There are alot of players who can shoot the ball, but only a few who can create their own shot within the offense.  This statement is coming from someone saying the Bosha kid hit 8 3's the other night.  I know alot of  players who have made a living off of kickouts. I dont know if this is happenign or not because I have not seen them play. Did he create the shots or were they kickouts?  If they were kickouts then I would not consider him a star.
Secondly, I just wanted everyone to take a step back and look at this from we are judging a freshmen and 8th grade players.  It is a little too early to say what they will do in college and life.  I dont know if anybody remembers Michael Leblanc or Calvin Murphy Junior who were supposed to be stars and the next NBA players when they played for the Hoops.  Murphy ended up at Niagra, a small school in the Northest and Leblance went to Conneticut, could not play and ended back at Houston Baptist.  These are just a couple of examples of young kids who everyone thought were stars and future NBA players that did not come close. I too played against the Houston Hoops, beat the Houston Select and played for them as well.  I got camps paid for and had letters in the mail from major D1 colleges starting my soph and junior year.  This was about 15 years ago.  I improved some from my junior to senior year and still received letters and visits and all that stuff.  I played Division 2 ball, had the opportunity to play at the Division 1 level in the Northeast but did not want to move.  My point in this is I worked my tail off everyday and lived and breathed basketball and received the same "hype" for lack of a better word and ended up playing D2.  Dont stop dreaming and working hard, but realize that paid camps and letters from colleges is a long way from playing at Duke or the NBA.  
I also agree 100 percent about Little Dribblers and some coaches who play kids just because of affiliation with someone who has a little power in a small town.  That does happen but you usually will not see it in good programs.  If you do see it in programs they will not be very good. I also agree that you will get college scholarships from playing in AAU and camps, but a State Championships was always the most important to me.  It was not something that was great for the spring, it was my biggest dream.
[/quote]RAy allen makes a hell of a living off of kickoffs

[quote name="stevenash" post="924397" timestamp="1291322018"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=76916.msg924351#msg924351 date=1291319963]
[/quote]RAy allen makes a heck of a living off of kickoffs
[/quote]GREAT POST!!! You do know bball don't you. You said something in there thats key. First, I want my kids to enjoy a successful high school career (girls , the late parties,, ..ooops wrong forum).Yes, my two have been taught to create off the dribble ;). Most kids I know want to play for a large D1 school and we parents are no exception. And there is nothing wrong with having dreams, but of course you have to make them realize you have to have options. Trust me, the paid camps and entitlements don't go to MY HEAD ::) ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="924397" timestamp="1291322018"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=76916.msg924351#msg924351 date=1291319963]
[/quote]Lets see 1. Ray Allen 2? 3.? Anymore?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924416" timestamp="1291323468"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924397#msg924397 date=1291322018]
[/quote]Steve Kerr and REggie Miller Eddie House Mike Miller Fred Hoiberg Mark PRice Craig Hodges Peja Stojakovic  Jeff Hornacek

[quote name="stevenash" post="924428" timestamp="1291324144"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924416#msg924416 date=1291323468]
[/quote]Steve Kerr and REggie Miller Eddie House Mike Miller Fred Hoiberg Mark PRice Craig Hodges Peja Stojakovic  Jeff Hornacek
[/quote]Old retired players ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924429" timestamp="1291324197"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924428#msg924428 date=1291324144]
[/quote]AGe is irrelevant.  You asked for more and you got them and that was your only way out.,  Several of those playing today.

[quote name="stevenash" post="924449" timestamp="1291325739"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924429#msg924429 date=1291324197]
[/quote]AGe is irrelevant.  You asked for more and you got them and that was your only way out.,  Several of those playing today.
[/quote] ;D I certainly couldn't name anyone but Iknew you were up the challenge, old man

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924451" timestamp="1291325965"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924449#msg924449 date=1291325739]
[/quote] ;D I certainly couldn't name anyone but Iknew you were up the challenge, old man
[/quote]Sometimes, age can be an advantage.  OF course, age is a relative term, isn't it?

[quote name="stevenash" post="924465" timestamp="1291327821"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924451#msg924451 date=1291325965]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924449#msg924449 date=1291325739]
[/quote]Sometimes, age can be an advantage.  OF course, age is a relative term, isn't it?
[/quote] :P

I just meant there is a difference between a player who can create his own shot and one that cant.  Everyone likes a shooter and most of the ones named can or could create off the dribble as well as shoot.  Ray Allen can go off the dribble but his primary threat is shooting on kickouts.  But you do have to admit, it would be aweful lonely playing on a team where you could shoot and no one could get one for you and you couldnt get it yourself.  

And I wish all the best for the Bosha kid and HF kid, I hope they continue to grow.  

[quote name="east texas bb" post="924475" timestamp="1291328624"]
I just meant there is a difference between a player who can create his own shot and one that cant.  Everyone likes a shooter and most of the ones named can or could create off the dribble as well as shoot.  Ray Allen can go off the dribble but his primary threat is shooting on kickouts.  But you do have to admit, it would be aweful lonely playing on a team where you could shoot and no one could get one for you and you couldnt get it yourself.  

And I wish all the best for the Bosha kid and HF kid, I hope they continue to grow.  
[/quote]

I guess I look at it differently.  To my way of thinking, the guy who can effectively convert on kick outs usually removes a defender from the parts of the floor " where the action is" and that helps the guy who is creating his own shot.  Creating shots in a one on one circumstance is one thing, but creating shots against 1 1/2 or 2 is quite another.  The reason RAy can go off the dribble is because the defender is so concerned about getting up close to deny the three.  I know more about the Celtics than most and I love Ray Allen.  However if you let him bring the ball up the court and tell him to create his own shot, I doubt he will have much success.  
Furthermore, I am quite confident that 80% of Rays field goals come as a result of someone over concentrating on Pierce or Garnett and, in some cases, Rondo.  Miami has three guys who can create off the dribble but the results so far are less than impressive

I am not trying to argue, I am simply stating that the guy that can create his shot is more valuable than the guy that can only shoot.  The players like, Michael, Kobe, Lebron, and Wade can shoot and get their own shot.  So where one player relies on someone to get his shot, the other can get his own shot and shots for others.  I would also agree with you that teams are concerned with Garnett and Pierce and this opens up alot for Ray.  I would stop there though, I do not think anyone is worried about Rajon Rondo, most of his defenders are about 4 feet off of him.  He can not create a shot for himself because he can not shoot, he has some good games with high assists numbers, but if you have a team full of stars and you are not going to shoot but pass everytime then your whole game is about assists.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  I feel like we are arguing and I really dont know why, I like the Celtics.  I dont care much for the Heat.  I think the Heat have better players but the Celtics have a better team.  (Back to Topic) But you can not honestly say that the best players that have ever played were spot up shooters.
My statement that a player that can create his own shot is more valuable than a player that can not, cannot be refuted.  That is just not common sense.  And I still havent been answered on my question about Bosha.  Is he getting kickouts for shots or is he creating them?

[quote name="speechless" post="924716" timestamp="1291349605"]
you don't think rondo can create his own shot?  seriously?  you must not consider a lay up a shot?
[/quote]

There is another reason people back off Rondo about 4 ft.  Its called quickness and he has more than most.  Don't be concerned about whether or not its arguing.  I am always interested in an alternate point of view.  Thats what makes these conversations interesting.  There is no proof/documentation that either of us is right.  I will say, however, that if operating successfully within a team concept is what determines who is and who is not a great player, then there are plenty of great players beside Kobe, Lebron, and Wade.

[quote name="stevenash" post="924740" timestamp="1291351546"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76916.msg924716#msg924716 date=1291349605]
you don't think rondo can create his own shot?  seriously?  you must not consider a lay up a shot?
[/quote]

There is another reason people back off Rondo about 4 ft.  Its called quickness and he has more than most.
[/quote]You should be sleep by now. Preparing for new answers tomorrow :)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924742" timestamp="1291351650"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924740#msg924740 date=1291351546]
you don't think rondo can create his own shot?  seriously?  you must not consider a lay up a shot?
[/quote]

There is another reason people back off Rondo about 4 ft.  Its called quickness and he has more than most.
[/quote]

I dont sleep- I stay up all night trying to come up with possible responses for individuals who try to tell me when to sleep.

[quote name="stevenash" post="924743" timestamp="1291351737"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924742#msg924742 date=1291351650]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=76916.msg924740#msg924740 date=1291351546]
[/quote]

[/quote] :D :D

I dont sleep- I stay up all night trying to come up with possible responses for individuals who try to tell me when to sleep.
[/quote]

No I dont think Rondo can create his own shot.  What would he create, an airball? I mean seriously the guy shoots worse than shaq.  He is a good defender but it stops there, very average passer and very below average shooter.  He is surrounded by alot of great players therefore he looks good.
You name a 5 man team with spot up shooters only and I will name a team with players who can create their own shot and we will be able to look at the players and decide which is better.  Just spot up shooters, not post players.  And I will name just guards that can create off the dribble.

My 5 that can create off the dribble are Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Nash, Magic, Pistol.  There is my top 7 players and arguably the best player that ever lived, the second and third best and the others in the top ten of all time.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="924811" timestamp="1291382921"]
No I dont think Rondo can create his own shot.  What would he create, an airball? I mean seriously the guy shoots worse than shaq.  He is a good defender but it stops there, very average passer and very below average shooter.  He is surrounded by alot of great players therefore he looks good.
You name a 5 man team with spot up shooters only and I will name a team with players who can create their own shot and we will be able to look at the players and decide which is better.  Just spot up shooters, not post players.  And I will name just guards that can create off the dribble.

My 5 that can create off the dribble are Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Nash, Magic, Pistol.   There is my top 7 players and arguably the best player that ever lived, the second and third best and the others in the top ten of all time.
[/quote]

I hate to burst your bubble buddy but you do not have to be a great shooter to create your own shot.  Rajan Rondo creates shots because of his ability to pass the ball.  He is as quick as anyone with the ball in his hands and when he gets in the lane the defenders are so worried about his ability to pass the ball he is able to use a ball fake a score on the inside which is creating his own shot.  The greatest of shot creators were and are as great as the are because of their ability to get to the basket and score a layup.  Lebron is a TERRIBLE shooter by NBA standards and in the playoffs you have seen the celtics sag off of him and force him to shoot for years.  However he can still create a shot because of his ability to get to the basket.

Now am I comparing Rondo to Jordan, Bird, and Magic.........no...............but you said he can't create his own shot and that is just flat out wrong!

Am I dreaming or did you say average passer???  He is the best passer in the game today and will be one of the greatest this game has seen.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="924811" timestamp="1291382921"]
No I dont think Rondo can create his own shot.  What would he create, an airball? I mean seriously the guy shoots worse than shaq.  He is a good defender but it stops there, very average passer and very below average shooter.  He is surrounded by alot of great players therefore he looks good.
You name a 5 man team with spot up shooters only and I will name a team with players who can create their own shot and we will be able to look at the players and decide which is better.  Just spot up shooters, not post players.  And I will name just guards that can create off the dribble.

My 5 that can create off the dribble are Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Nash, Magic, Pistol.   There is my top 7 players and arguably the best player that ever lived, the second and third best and the others in the top ten of all time.
[/quote]

Rondo doesnt shoot well because thats NOT what his job is. I would suggest to you that, if necessary, his speed/quickness would allow him to create whenever he felt it was the best thing to do. You said he is a very average passer.  You don't lead the NBA in assists if you are an average passer.  One more request.  For the moment, forget we are having a disagreement.  Watch this video.  Look particularly at # 8,6,5,4,2,1 and tell me(honestly, of course) why he can't create his own shot. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83_eHg3vf2A

Also, while we are having this discussion, I would be interested in seeing all of the great outside shots that Magic "generated" during his career.  And one more item:  Rondo is one of the best, if not THE BEST rebounding point guard in the NBA.

Kemba Walker  (Univ. of Conn) is my model for the 21st century guard. Quick, sees the court, can handle the ball left or right, can shoot to keep the defense honest, will go past you if you come up on him, can finish, make his teammates with lesser skills look good, and a leader on the floor. I may have left out a few things.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami