Is Hj's "Zjori Bosha" The Best Freshman in our area??

Betrayed

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924102" timestamp="1291300912"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=76916.msg924025#msg924025 date=1291267816]
Blue.... where did you want your sons to go instead of HF?
[/quote]  :-X  (1) A program that has a tradition of high expectations from the coach and players (2) Competitive schedule.

[/quote]

Bingo, that's Silsbee for sure!!  ;D

[quote name="sleepy" post="924118" timestamp="1291301840"]
Dove...........on a serious note..........if your son is that talented and is not on varsity I take that as a coach just not wanting to win.............agree?
[/quote] Wow good question! First, let me state that my son in my opinion still has a lot to learn about the game and I do see improvement.
There are coaches who say they  want talent but really don't know what to do with it. It can  become a problem for them  because you don't want to alienate your players & their parents  who have been loyal to you or been in the program longer.  So you have coaches who try and suppress talent. You can't!  But if a kid truly has talent in whatever sport, the truth comes out anyway during play. People begin to question why isn't this kid getting a "burn" with the big boys. Or why isn't this kid playing more on his team. As far as winning, I have a saying when I see coaches who portray certain little habits  "Theres a coach playing not to win."

In fairness to some coaches, they are more about teaching their players in certain critical situations, but in most cases I see they are playing "little johnny" to satisfy a booster club member, daddyball, loyalty to the player, co-worker (teacher,etc.) or some parent whispering in the coach's ear. So, to answer your question, I'm still trying to find the answer myself. ;)

He just might be one of the best in this area, best at HJ. Should be decided at the end of the season.  What qualifies a player to be the best?  Ability, how much they help their team? 

Bosha is talented, leave him be and enjoy the show. Good luck young man.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924148" timestamp="1291304771"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=76916.msg924118#msg924118 date=1291301840]
Dove...........on a serious note..........if your son is that talented and is not on varsity I take that as a coach just not wanting to win.............agree?
[/quote] Wow good question! First, let me state that my son in my opinion still has a lot to learn about the game and I do see improvement.
There are coaches who say they  want talent but really don't know what to do with it. It can  become a problem for them  because you don't want to alienate your players & their parents  who have been loyal to you or been in the program longer.  So you have coaches who try and suppress talent. You can't!  But if a kid truly has talent in whatever sport, the truth comes out anyway during play. People begin to question why isn't this kid getting a "burn" with the big boys. Or why isn't this kid playing more on his team. As far as winning, I have a saying when I see coaches who portray certain little habits  "Theres a coach playing not to win."

In fairness to some coaches, they are more about teaching their players in certain critical situations, but in most cases I see they are playing "little johnny" to satisfy a booster club member, daddyball, loyalty to the player, co-worker (teacher,etc.) or some parent whispering in the coach's ear. So, to answer your question, I'm still trying to find the answer myself. ;)

[/quote]
[size=12pt][color=red]Be like Lebron and take his talents elsewhere[/color][/size]

[IMG]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h366/bryce4904/lebronsouthbeach.jpg[/img]

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924148" timestamp="1291304771"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=76916.msg924118#msg924118 date=1291301840]

[/quote]  Dove, regarding your last paragraph-  That sounds like the comment of almost any parent who believes his child is not being played enough.  I'll bet you those words are echoed by hundreds of parents every year in virtually every sport.  I guess it comes down to knowing/believing that someone other than the coach has a better grasp of who is good and who is average.  If a coach isnt putting his best product on the floor, I suspect he will not be employed for very long.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924209" timestamp="1291310187"]
Nash, regarding your last paragragh-That sounds like comments of almost any armchair sideliner who feels this is just another parent who feels their kid should be playing. Note* He is playing. Thats not an issue.
[/quote]

I believe that, if most of the participants on this board will be as honest as possible, we will discover that the great majority of us are "armchair sideliners" even though we believe we know more than someone else.  If I knew as much as I think I do about basketball, I would be a coach or General Manager somewhere and not on a message board discussing HJ and HF. Very big world out there.

[quote name="stevenash" post="924222" timestamp="1291310884"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924209#msg924209 date=1291310187]
Nash, regarding your last paragragh-That sounds like comments of almost any armchair sideliner who feels this is just another parent who feels their kid should be playing. Note* He is playing. Thats not an issue.
[/quote]

I believe that, if most of the participants on this board will be as honest as possible, we will discover that the great majority of us are "armchair sideliners" even though we believe we know more than someone else.  If I knew as much as I think I do about basketball, I would be a coach or General Manager somewhere and not on a message board discussing HJ and HF. Very big world out there.
[/quote]And what makes you think I wasn't a coach in my lifetime at HISD, hmmm?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="924230" timestamp="1291311371"]
All those health classes, officiating classes, coaching theory classes....................hmmmm? You don't know me.
[/quote]

Sounds great but those qualifications belong to thousands who wound up being "armchair sideliners also.

[quote name="NHS83LU87" post="924239" timestamp="1291312048"]
Be careful labeling a young man as the best....I have watched several players over the past 6 years get labeled as the best....by the time they were seniors their egos were so big they were all about themselves and hurt the team.
[/quote]

Pretty sensible comment, in my armchair sideliner opinion.

Be careful labeling a young man as the best....I have watched several players over the past 6 years get labeled as the best....by the time they were seniors their egos were so big they were all about themselves and hurt the team.
[/quote]You do have to be careful. As long as the student realizes he or she still have room for improvement,  has to put out the trash and clean their room

[quote name="stevenash" post="924236" timestamp="1291311802"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76916.msg924230#msg924230 date=1291311371]
All those health classes, officiating classes, coaching theory classes....................hmmmm? You don't know me.
[/quote]

I dont believe Phil Jackson got his job based upon the classes he took.
[/quote]Hmmm, Did you read his book ?"Sacred Hoops: [color=red]Spiritual Lessons [/color] of a Hardwood Warrior"

[/quote]

That is the great news about Bosha.  He is a great kid who comes from a great family.  His mother won't let him get to big for his britches.  He is such a good kid I don't think he would anyway.

[quote name="Tiger05" post="924256" timestamp="1291312959"]
I think Zjori Bosha sounds like a good player for a freshman but I don't know if he is the best

I heard PAM has some good players & Silsbee has a kid named Patrick that seems to have some talent

[/quote]I have seen both bosha and the central player and they are both great players....probably top two players in this area. Bosha because of his height and shooting abilities and central player because he is so VERY athletic and has a promising short jumper! I look forward to watching both these two stellar young men. Best wishes to them in their HS basketball careers. Both display great attitudes on the court.

One question for the Bosha kid and the HF kid for those who have seen them play.  Do they make most of their shots off the dribble?  There are alot of players who can shoot the ball, but only a few who can create their own shot within the offense.  This statement is coming from someone saying the Bosha kid hit 8 3's the other night.  I know alot of  players who have made a living off of kickouts. I dont know if this is happenign or not because I have not seen them play. Did he create the shots or were they kickouts?  If they were kickouts then I would not consider him a star.
Secondly, I just wanted everyone to take a step back and look at this from we are judging a freshmen and 8th grade players.  It is a little too early to say what they will do in college and life.  I dont know if anybody remembers Michael Leblanc or Calvin Murphy Junior who were supposed to be stars and the next NBA players when they played for the Hoops.  Murphy ended up at Niagra, a small school in the Northest and Leblance went to Conneticut, could not play and ended back at Houston Baptist.  These are just a couple of examples of young kids who everyone thought were stars and future NBA players that did not come close. I too played against the Houston Hoops, beat the Houston Select and played for them as well.  I got camps paid for and had letters in the mail from major D1 colleges starting my soph and junior year.  This was about 15 years ago.  I improved some from my junior to senior year and still received letters and visits and all that stuff.  I played Division 2 ball, had the opportunity to play at the Division 1 level in the Northeast but did not want to move.  My point in this is I worked my tail off everyday and lived and breathed basketball and received the same "hype" for lack of a better word and ended up playing D2.  Dont stop dreaming and working hard, but realize that paid camps and letters from colleges is a long way from playing at Duke or the NBA.  
I also agree 100 percent about Little Dribblers and some coaches who play kids just because of affiliation with someone who has a little power in a small town.  That does happen but you usually will not see it in good programs.  If you do see it in programs they will not be very good. I also agree that you will get college scholarships from playing in AAU and camps, but a State Championships was always the most important to me.  It was not something that was great for the spring, it was my biggest dream.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder