New Mercy Rule?

UKCats

I overheard this conversation at the scorers table last night between the coaches and the officials.

Official: Have you heard about the new rule?

Coach: What new rule?

Official: If you are down 20 in the fourth quarter then we run the clock.

Can anyone confirm or deny this as a rules change???
(This was in a varsity game btw)

Down by 20 in the 4th and they run the clock?

Hadn't heard that one.

Like it was mentioned earlier, Lumberton was down by 30 or more the entire 4th and the clock ran as usual, stopped on all dead balls and timeouts.

In Silsbee's game Monday night, they started the 4th with a 41 point lead over Legacy, the clock ran the normal way the entire quarter. Silsbee won by 59, 114-55.

Maybe those refs last night wanted to get out early. ;)

even if it is a new rule aren't running clocks by mutual consent, it's allowed if agreed upon but not required?

[url=http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/6804403.html]according to this[/url] it's in place for jr. high now, maybe they included HS this year but it's still by consent. so maybe sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't...

It is not a rule even in jr. high. Most jr. high coaches make a decision about either running the clock in the fourth qtr or calling off the press in that qtr with a twenty pt lead as a courtesy based on the talent or ability of the losing team to come back and make it a game. It is a feel developed over time and the losing coach usually requests the running clock with the winning coach usually accepting. (unless the other school was deemed guilty of running up the score in another sport) ;) 

I think everyone needs to quit messing with the sports. Look what they have done to pro football. Its almost unbearable to watch with all the replays and cant hit this guy and all the rule changes they have made.
Ive been watching sports for about 55 years now and with the exception of safety for the kids all these rule changes have done nothing but hurt the games. I know Im an old timer but the games were better without all the rule changes and replays and now what mercy rules. You have got to be kidding.

Coaches can agree to run the clock let them decide. Sometimes getting your butt kicked is the best thing for an underachieving team. JMO

I have been on both ends and kids are more resilient than you think.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476