Lamar Mens Basketball

Hey, with two straight seasons not making the SLC tournment a lot of people forget than fact or they use the excuse of Lamar playing in the Eastern Division that season.

Believe me UCA, NW State. SE Louisiana, Nicholls State and McNeese will not just roll over for the Cardinals as they will have to earn their victories just like they would if playing in the Western Division.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bigred360" post="886284" timestamp="1287940889"]Believe me UCA, NW State. SE Louisiana, Nicholls State and McNeese will not just roll over for the Cardinals as they will have to earn their victories just like they would if playing in the Western Division. [/quote]

No one is expecting anyone to roll over... but truth remains, the West is the stronger division in every sport in which divisional play exists (see VB, MBB and WBB) and it's tougher to get wins going home-and-home with the west teams than it is with the eastern teams.

This year, I'd put Nicholls in the top four prior to the season. The remaining three all hail from the West.

Terror and I finally agree on something...Proof is in the results, the West has been the better division top to bottom. The East has had some good teams at the very top, but the West has been tuff up and down!

I think the big story this year will be how the Bearkats will be without the top coach in the conference?

No, the Eastern Division has some quality team as TexasTerror spoke of VB, while UCA has won 30+ SLC matches. Plus, they beat Lamar last season in WBB so they will be good this season as they have all-everything in Megan Herbert .

You guys might be right top to bottom but the Eastern Division has some good teams.

[quote name="bigred360" post="886838" timestamp="1288004695"]No, the Eastern Division has some quality team as TexasTerror spoke of VB, while UCA has won 30+ SLC matches. Plus, they beat Lamar last season in WBB so they will be good this season as they have all-everything in Megan Herbert .[/quote]

Yep - but the SLC East is very weak at the bottom in VB. I actually know a bit more about VB - absolutely love the sport. UCA and Lamar... then what? Hoops - same situation.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="887834" timestamp="1288074137"]
[font=Courier]Tidwell won't be coaching much longer.  [/font]
[/quote]

He knows what it takes to win. Tidwell will a great A/D, if people will stay out of his business and let him do his job.

Quick thoughts. Not thta many care what I think, but I'll share anyways.

Divisions: Yes the West is an all around better division than the East. The top teams (top two usually) in the East every year are good enough to win championships in all of the sports, where the West typically has had three or four for each sport. Lamar bounced in and out of the West and East so now that divisions are set, I think time will make the divisions a little easier to "predict".

Lamar MBB: If this truly is the most talent they have had under Roc, then they should be pretty darn good. The team with Sanders, Todd, D-Hop and so on was pretty good. They were missing some pieces, but who in this league isn't? If this team can put it together this season with the youth and JUCO talent, I'll be a little surprised. It's very hard to get all cylinders clicking in year one of a JUCO heavy team. (example: SHSU 2002 missed the SLC tournament. In 2003 with the exact same starting five and all the same key guys off the bench, they win the conference title and the SLC tournament.) Hopefully for the Cardinals faithful the team can figure it out early in SLC play and get themselves into the tournament and then everybody has a punchers chance.

Lamar WBB: Tidwell has an outstanding track record so far and I see no reason for that to change. The big question will be how they play in the post. The last two years you had undersized post players that gave you scoring. They have some youth down low that isn't proven yet, but the beauty of the women's game is that you never know who is going to be a beast in teh paint or maybe have range. (Williams and Hill produced offensively despite their size, and the girl from UTSA a couple years ago Onika Anderson, was undersized as well, but was one of the best in the league) They will have to find a way to score points down low, but their speed and athleticism should be enough to beat most of the teams they play. Hopefully they will have a good showing in the Pre season WNIT and roll on from there.

SHSU MBB: It will be interesting to see how Hooten does. I think he'll be a pretty good coach and I think they will play a very similiar game as they always have. Clavell is the best post player in the conference and they have some fast guards who get after it defensively. Not sure what to think though because you lose Mitchell and Almond and thats two huge pieces gone from last year.

Those are my thoughts. I'll leave you all alone now.

Most everyone agrees the West is all around a better division from top to bottom. Looks like I'll have to change my opinion. I like Lamar in the East for one reason and that is to play McNeese twice in every sport except football.

As for as Lamar MBB, they are talented with some good recuits but the thing that got my attention when watching them is their returning guys have all gotten better especially Charlie Harper, the guy looks like a man now. He is 6'5, 200lbs but it is all muscle. I think Coach Roc is going to use him as an undersized 4. Ebomwonyi 6'11, 220lbs has really improved offensively and he is pretty good on the defensive end as well. Kendrick Harris has really improved as a shooter and is cat quick. Miles looks good as he was playing the point is the practice I saw but have heard he is better off the ball. Custer looks bigger and more confident. Stanford Brown 6'8, 225lbs made some impressive plays both offensively and defensively.

As for as the newcomers, I hear Mike James is a stud but he didn't practice when I watched them but he'll be a starter once the season starts. Nelson 6'5, 205 is a slasher to the basket and can make some awesome plays above the rim but I think he'll have to beat out Harper and I like the returnee at this point. The one guy that really caught my attention was Brandon Davis as he is 6'6, 190lbs but he looks closer to 170lbs as he is very thin. However, he can shoot the ball from NBA range and with his height I think he'll be able to get his shots off as he also has a quick release. I wasn't overly impressed with Devon Lamb and I don't think he'll start for this team.

Sorry, computer problems as I'll go onto the WBB team. Coach Tidwell's team is loaded and they are going to play at a faster pace than they did in the past as it wasn't a strength of Brittney Williams with her size and knee problems.

Jenna Plumley is a flat out stud. She scored 30 pts but it didn't seem as though she was taking that many shots and if I would have kept up with steals she had at least 6. Then there is Loyd who is another stud. I'll put it this way, I think she is better than Tamara Abalde IMO. Maybe not a better shooter but overall a better player on offense and defense as she too had several steals and scored about 24 pts. Then Myriam Igoufe is finally healthy and is very quick. Can't believe she had two ACL surgeries. I believe she'll be starting at the 2 as she has a good all around game and she is able to run the court very well. Then Henderson or Whittaker will start at the 4 as they can both rebound, score and defend. I believe once Francesca Bellatin adjust to the American style of WBB she'll be pretty good as she didn't score during the scrimmage but you can just tell she has some talent. I think Ang Green is a very good player and she'll back up both Plumley at the point and Igoufe at the two. At this point I think Trashanna Smith will be the 5th starter as she plays good defense and can rebound. She isn't really a scorer but there will be scorers at the other four positions. Then ladies I think will get major minutes are Brockett, Hays and Meengs.

Ayers and Mock looked good at PG but they aren't going to get major minutes with Plumley and Green there. Maybe Coach Tidwell will red-shirt a couple of players because they are too good to just waste a year of eligibility.

Forgive me, this computer is killing me! Now on to SHSU MBB team I think Hooten will use a lot of stuff done by Bob Marlin because "if it ain't broke don't fix it". They should be one of the favorites to win the SLC or at least in the Top 3. Clavell is a stud and maybe the best post player in the league but IMO Anatoly Bose of Nicholls State is the best player in the conference.

LumberCard, you made some impressive points to your post and most of them will probably hold true.

[quote name="LamarFanatic" post="888211" timestamp="1288121447"]
i had some high hopes for lamb whats the deal with him just a bad practice or was he a little bit over rated too early to tell but what did u see out of him so far
[/quote]

Devon Lamb is well put together at 6'2, 185. He is very aggressive and does rebound well for a guard but in all the drills and scrimmage portion of the practice he didn't shoot the ball well and he doesn't seem to have a nice "stroke" when shooting the ball.

He does play hard but IMO he was over-rated at least up to now because even in the scrimmage portion he didn't start for either team.  

I'm curious to know how much playing time Donley Minor will get this year.  I remember last year Roc was saying he was the best defensive guard on the team.  You just never know how well these JUCO players will adjust to D1 level basketball so just like last year we'll probably be disappointed in some of these guys.

On a side note, both SHSU and UTA each signed a highly rated inside player for next year.  Roc knows how to bring in the talented JUCO players but he really hasn't signed any highly touted HS players yet.  Until he does then I think we'll keep seeing these up and down years.

I can definitely see some reality is beginning to set in for some of you guys. Guys, let me give you a little secret on a whether or not I go see a particular movie. It's got to have an appeal. In other words, I look at the gross receipts to see if the movie is [color=red]consistenly [/color] making money after the release. Oh heres another example. I remember when I was much younger, I didn't date a girl unless I knew others were attracted to her. Sounds shallow huh? Well remember, I was very young at the time.
Well anyway, where was I ??? oH YEAH! Were these players highly recruited from high school and JUCO? Like I have said in the past, LU has had a problem overselling their recruits for many years now.

Lamb I think was a little overrated but he will improve. Not sure how much he will play. Btw still think Miles will start the entire year and James as his backup. But expect to see both of them on the floor at the same time a lot. More transition for Lamar this year definitely.

The women will be fine. Trae will be good download and Whittaker plays much bigger than she is. I think she will take the place of Darika just fine.

[quote name="LamarFanatic" post="888330" timestamp="1288129999"]
maybe some of these guys wont put up the stats i would of thought they could but the overall team will be fun to watch. reality isnt setting lamar wants to make the slc tourney and make some it will happen
[/quote]As long as they are fun to watch, I'm happy.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder