Lamar Mens Basketball

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard they could score. Maybe some 100 point games in the near future. Just not sure if the opponent wont have 101!  ;D

I hear that James kid is fun to watch and that this team will have several deep threats unlike last year when it was Miles and Miles alone. Hopefully with this bunch one of these guys will step up as the go to guy in the clutch. I think we missed that last year. Nabors could only do so much down low.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="883215" timestamp="1287724590"]
[font=Courier]Guard Mike James is the real deal. If, IF, they can come together they have a chance at SLC tourney. Deepest and most talented team Roc has had by far. [/font]
[/quote]

I hope you mean they have a chance at winning the SLC tourney, not just making it.

[font=Courier]Guard Mike James is the real deal. If, IF, they can come together they have a chance at SLC tourney. Deepest and most talented team Roc has had by far. [/font]
[/quote]

I have heard this every year for 5 years.  Hope it is true this year.

[quote name="sleepy" post="883250" timestamp="1287749641"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=74771.msg883215#msg883215 date=1287724590]
[/quote]

[/quote] :D :D I concur other than it's seems every 4 1/2 years

[quote name="sleepy" post="883250" timestamp="1287749641"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=74771.msg883215#msg883215 date=1287724590]
[/quote]

[/quote]

ditto.

[quote name="coachacola" post="883488" timestamp="1287766910"]
[quote]Making the SLC is a big step for this program.[/quote]

That shows how far the basketball program has sunk! 
[/quote]

2 years without making the tournament will do that, along with finishing dead last in the West division last year.

Roc knows this group has to show a lot of promise for him to be around in 2012.

Yes I hear that too but miles not Custer will be the starter. Unless Custer can get back healthy fast he won't start. But Miles could still lose his job once Michael James gets his full grasp of the offense. Also player to keep your eye on is Vicenzo Nelson. He hmis turning some heads! But either way should be much more entertaining than last year since we have enough depth and talent to run the floor.

My guess is Roc is going with a 3 guard lineup of James, Miles and Lamb with Nelson and Custer on the inside.  Miles should be a better player if he's not running the offense.  I bet Roc is counting on Kendirck Harris, Adams and Davis getting some quality minutes so that no matter who's in the game the offense can score points.  I doubt the big guys will be counted on to score much but hopefully at least one can step up and be a force inside.  Harper will probably backup Nelson at the 4 spot and Brazier will backup Custer (or vice versa).  That leaves Lynch, Darius Harris and Stan Brown fighting for minutes.

[quote name="bigred360" post="883617" timestamp="1287773874"]
It helps to be best friends with the AD. If they make the SLC tournament Coach Roc will still be around.  BTW, I've heard there may be four new starters with Custer making the 5th. Anyone else hear anything like this?
[/quote]

We have been season ticket holders since 92' and have heard the same ol thing every year...But we enjoy the fans that we have made over the years.  Some have grown tired of it and have not came back.  There are some though that come until they can't come anymore.  We lost two very long time fans in Sept.  They will be missed.

It sounds like.... we are in for a treat this year [b]IF[/b] the players can play as advertised.  An added treat would be if the students and at least half the football fans attend the men and women's games.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="883809" timestamp="1287784124"]
[font=Courier]I think as of now, Custer will be a starter. Already named a captain of the team. [/font]
[/quote]

I hope Custer can get and stay healthy, I was hoping he could become another Landon Rowe and have a great year.

[/quote]

Sorry but "deepest and most talented team Roc has had by far" isn't saying much.

[quote name="bigredfan2" post="883995" timestamp="1287795189"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74771.msg883617#msg883617 date=1287773874]
It helps to be best friends with the AD. If they make the SLC tournament Coach Roc will still be around.  BTW, I've heard there may be four new starters with Custer making the 5th. Anyone else hear anything like this?
[/quote]

We have been season ticket holders since 92' and have heard the same ol thing every year...But we enjoy the fans that we have made over the years.  Some have grown tired of it and have not came back.  There are some though that come until they can't come anymore.  We lost two very long time fans in Sept.  They will be missed.

It sounds like.... we are in for a treat this year [b]IF[/b] the players can play as advertised.  An added treat would be if the students and at least half the football fans attend the men and women's games.

[/quote]

I gave up my season tickets a few years ago after having them for nearly 20 years.  I just couldn't take the misery any more.  I hope Roc can get things turned around but I've heard the optimism every year so the proof is in the pudding.

I went and watched practice today after the Lady Cardinals scrimmage. Coach Roc said it was okay with him.

I know you can't get a lot from just seeing the team one time but I think they are going to be fun to watch. Nelson, Brown, Davis, Ebomwonyi, Adams, Harper and Miles really looked good. Davis can shoot the trey with about 45% accuracy. He was hitting some bombs. Custer looks bigger and more confident in himself.

Negative, Mike James didn't practice and was in a cast on his Left wrist. Devon Lamb didn't score like I thought he could but then again I've only seen one practice.

I was surprised by the play of true freshman from PA Memorial Darius Harris. Also, Kendrick Harris and Donley Minor looked good and I was having a hard time telling them apart and they could pass for twins and their game is a lot alike.

Based off just this one practice Coach Roc is going to have a good problem and that is coming up with a starting 5.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn