PN-G vs. Ozen Game Thread/PNG wins in 2 OT/Comments

Good to see the Indians pull out the win.  However -- the defense needs to tighten up.  If this team makes the playoffs..  the defense can not allow opponents to score over 40 points and expect a win. As it has been proven time and time again...defense wins championships!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Soulja, and I do agree. Glad you got to join us on the purple side.
I sat down by the band and Indianettes, and had a ball! The band had spent the afternoon at the marching contest, yet still put on a great show and kept the crowd and players pumped up through the end.
This was an exciting game, and yes, both teams played their hearts out. This was the worst officiated game I believe I have ever seen. The women folk kept asking me what was going on. I kept telling them I dont know because the officials didnt know either! The refs seemed clueless the whole game.
The Indian defense showed some promise, but still needs some work. #61 was out of his pads for the 2nd half after spending much of the 1st half in the Ozen backfield. I do hope he is back for the LCM game. We are still getting burned deep for the big plays. I'm sure adjustments will be made this week, as LCM has a better passing QB that is a big running threat too.
This was my first trip to the "Butch" and I was impressed. It is a beautiful stadium with the best concession stand food and friendliest people in 20-4A. Wonderful facility and I am looking forward to the next game there.

PNG D, Corners were covering well but were not turning to look for the ball until it was too late. If they turn and look sooner for the ball then there is a better chance at a INT or a knock down.
On the line, one of our linebackers was getting knocked around pretty bad and that was the side they seemed to run too alot. Just need a bigger more aggressive backer on that side.
Our O did good. I think even when they stacked the box on us we should have kept pounding away at Ozens D with Bertrand. Great game by both teams. I think Ozen is better than their record shows. THose refs were terrible. They do not deserve to ever officiate on a Friday or Saturday night again. THey didn't know anything. I sure hope the head coaches both file complaints on them. The clock operator must have been asleep most of the game. Because when the ref WOULD finally blow his whistle to start the 25 sec clock it would usually take an additional 5 seconds to start it. I'm thinking something wrong there and left handed.
After Friday nights games all coming down to the final minutes, this one was bound to be the same, but, turned out to be an even better nail bitter !
Great game for both teams.

I went to the game last night and cant help but wonder why PNG would try to run the clock out and go into overtime with over a minute to play and two timeouts left. Doty was torching Ozen secondary all night. Faircloth did not even give the kid a chance to drive the ball down the field and at least attempt a game winning field goal. What a slap in the face to the best QB in the district. Why would he opt for overtime when Ozen had chewed the  PNG defense up all night.

As far as Ozen goes, they played their hearts out and the QB is a flat out stud. But I will say this, if my kid played for Ozen I would be livid. How can a head coach allow a team to get three delay of game penalties that late in the game at a critical time. UNBELIEVABLE!

With that being said, both teams really fought hard in this on and it was a good game by both teams.

Oh yea, I just love the pooch kick. That seems to be working real well for PNG.

[quote name="prepballfan" post="878083" timestamp="1287295799"]
Doty had 17 no 29 for 245 yards and 4 touchdowns
[/quote]
Doty had 5 TDs

2 to Lacour in regulation
1 to Gizzi in regulation
1 to Nelson in 1st OT
1 to Jalali in 2nd OT

I thought the turning point in the game came when DJ intercepted Green and then was stripped of the ball on the return. If PNG takes over there I think it's over. PNG would have gone up 34-13 and Ozen probably crumbles. Instead Ozen got new life!

[quote name="Scooter!" post="878218" timestamp="1287330394"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=74552.msg878198#msg878198 date=1287329230]
Ozen QB David Green's numbers:

passing    19-33, 309 yards, 4 TD's

rushing    19/105 yards   2 TD's

total off.   414 yards, 6 TD's
[/quote]player of the week numbers
[/quote]I agree! He was impressive as usual...

[quote name="Roughrider" post="878183" timestamp="1287327779"]
I went to the game last night and cant help but wonder why PNG would try to run the clock out and go into overtime with over a minute to play and two timeouts left. Doty was torching Ozen secondary all night. Faircloth did not even give the kid a chance to drive the ball down the field and at least attempt a game winning field goal. What a slap in the face to the best QB in the district. Why would he opt for overtime when Ozen had chewed the  PNG defense up all night.  [/quote]

You do realize the Indians had the ball on the 8. With only a minute left, it was absolutely the right decision even with Peyton Manning at QB. A turnover or a couple of incompletions and you are punting from your endzone. Looks like he knew what he was doing.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="878416" timestamp="1287340879"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=74552.msg878229#msg878229 date=1287331014]
Green's idol is none other than my boy Johnny Manziel  ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Scooter...  You better hope Tivy goes D1 or it will be the third time in three years that a D2 region 3 team, sends them home. ;) :D TFND! (ya right)
[/quote]
thats da truth

[quote name="Tomahawk Chop" post="878248" timestamp="1287332441"]
[quote author=Roughrider link=topic=74552.msg878183#msg878183 date=1287327779]
I went to the game last night and cant help but wonder why PNG would try to run the clock out and go into overtime with over a minute to play and two timeouts left. Doty was torching Ozen secondary all night. Faircloth did not even give the kid a chance to drive the ball down the field and at least attempt a game winning field goal. What a slap in the face to the best QB in the district. Why would he opt for overtime when Ozen had chewed the  PNG defense up all night.  [/quote]

You do realize the Indians had the ball on the 8. With only a minute left, it was absolutely the right decision even with Peyton Manning at QB. A turnover or a couple of incompletions and you are punting from your endzone. Looks like he knew what he was doing.
[/quote]

We will just have to disagree on that one. If you lose in OT then it was not the right decision. You still had 2 time outs and had been passing the ball at will on Ozen's D. You have a kicker with range.

[quote name="tappedout" post="878920" timestamp="1287356830"]
Our safety is going to have to be in better position on the deep ball, he was getting there way too late.
[/quote]All of this hinges on if PN-G's Line and LB'S can stop the run. I'd they can, they'll be ok and can leave 2 safeties deep.  PN-G's problem comes when they can't stop the run and a safety have to creep up and you have 1 safety out there. Then you know somebody is going to get burned because that safety most likely will be out of possition.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="879001" timestamp="1287359864"]
[quote author=tappedout link=topic=74552.msg878920#msg878920 date=1287356830]
Our safety is going to have to be in better position on the deep ball, he was getting there way too late.
[/quote]All of this hinges on if PN-G's Line and LB'S can stop the run. I'd they can, they'll be ok and can leave 2 safeties deep.  PN-G's problem comes when they can't stop the run and a safety have to creep up and you have 1 safety out there. Then you know somebody is going to get burned because that safety most likely will be out of possition.
[/quote]
Good post. I do believe our D line and inside backers can stop the run most of the time. Yes our secondary needs some work. Last nights game with Ozen was a real good game for our secondary. Yes we got beat on the deep ball, but we did have some good defensive stops back there on passes. Also I do believe we have a few juniors and a sophmore in the secondary. With a running QB our D line and backers need to attack faster and not give the QB time to throw. I know its a 50/50 with the run or pass D, but in our case I will take attacking the Qb and making him run over getting beat with the deep ball. Last night was a good learning experience for our secondary. I think it will help them defend LCM's passing attack alittle more than in the past.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="879001" timestamp="1287359864"]
[/quote]

I wasn't at the game but I believe most of Greens rushing yards came on pass plays. Thats one area we need big time work. Not being able to contain the QB when flushed out of the pocket. ;)

[quote name="indnfan" post="879169" timestamp="1287366489"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=74552.msg879001#msg879001 date=1287359864]
[/quote]

I wasn't at the game but I believe most of Greens rushing yards came on pass plays. Thats one area we need big time work. Not being able to contain the QB when flushed out of the pocket. ;)
[/quote]Yes, that's true.  Was mostly on pass plays.  But the thing about it is that Green would rather pass the ball.  He could have had way more yards running.  Instead, he just moved around and found an open reciever downfield.  then when you think that's all he'll do, he takes off running...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder