Whats the Best High School game you ever been too!

2007 - [glow=red,2,300][color=deepskyblue]Lumberton[/color][/glow] Vs. [color=purple]Dayton[/color] ~ Last game with Dayton before they were moved out of district. 0-0 till 4th quater... less than 1 min left in game and Lumberton SCORES! Simply amazing and intense end to a game and the only time we have ever beat Dayton!

2007 - [glow=red,2,300][color=deepskyblue]Lumberton[/color][/glow] vs. [color=green]Houston Smiley(?) [/color] ~ Lumbertons first playoff game ever, and we win, but the HIGHLIGHT of the game was The Lumberton Mighty Raider Band performs a sound collage from the 80s featuring [size=12pt][glow=red,2,300][color=purple]Thriller[/color] [/glow] [/size] including the dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-5iZ7uuNs and the [color=goldenrod]Y.M.C.A.[/color]

2007 - [glow=red,2,300][color=deepskyblue]Lumberton[/color][/glow] Vs. [color=purple]La Marque[/color] ~ Lumberton defeats the defending state campions 24-21! (Made La Marques players cry)

2008 - [glow=red,2,300][color=deepskyblue]Lumberton[/color][/glow] Vs. [color=purple]PNG[/color] ~ Lumberton wins in OT!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northshore vs. Madison Quarterfinal 2006(?) Astrodome.  Madison kicks off to NS and drive is stalled at midfield.  NS decides to punt.  It would be the only punt of the game!  Madison and NS scored on every possession following.  Everyone in the stadium knew the last team with the ball would win...  Vince Young's Madison offense scored with two minutes left (which appeared to be too soon) as NS would have the final possession and win the game... A dropped pass and a penalty later NS had about a fourth and 25+/- and ran either a draw or a middle screen and missed the first down after a measurement.  Final score 61-59 (pretty sure???)

Saw in the Chronicle a few years later in a piece about the Astrodome that it was ranked in the top five greatest games ever played in the Astrodome (all sports, all levels)  I was so amazed at Vince Youngs ability that I went the next week to the dome to watch Madison fall to Austin Westlake (another barn burner!)

Side note:  NS had about 7 sophmores on defense that year and just got shredded.  Two years later in 2008 when that group were Seniors they won a state championship (IMHO due to their defense)

[quote name="sfa87" post="880390" timestamp="1287475038"]
also SFA vs Cameron Yoe we down in penetrations and we were faced with a 4th and long and marler wanted to punt, but Greg Green our d-coordinator said otherwise and we went 4 it and got it, and then it was classic kenny ford going in from 21 yards out to win the game
[/quote]
I was there that night. We went nuts when Kenny got past the 20 to tie it in penetrations, and then even crazier when he rolled in the endzone for the no doubt win! Of course Them Gobblers took it STRAIT to us the next week. Like a freight train.

[quote name="sfa87" post="880390" timestamp="1287475038"]
also SFA vs Cameron Yoe we down in penetrations and we were faced with a 4th and long and marler wanted to punt, but Greg Green our d-coordinator said otherwise and we went 4 it and got it, and then it was classic kenny ford going in from 21 yards out to win the game
[/quote]if you would have had a better defense maybe you would have faired better ..lol ;). 

A little biased of course, but the Brenham-Waller game in 2007 was a thriller from start to finish. The lead changed  hands or was tied up on nine different occasions during the game. Tied 27-27 at the end of regulation, Brenham scored on a TD pass in the OT to make it 34-27. Waller scored on the very next play and after calling time out, elected to go for two and the win. The Cub defense stopped the run a half yard from the goal line and won 34-33. Needless to say, a great game from start to finish, especially with it being a huge rivalry game.

2007 - Dayton vs. Waller in playoffs: It was a great game me and a few of my friends went to support Dayton (since we beat them that year) and we, Lumberton, had just lost to Waller in our first ever playoff run... anyway was an exciting game the barry center was packed and loud! Dayton got cocky, like we had, and almost lost it in the 4th as i remeber but pulled it back and BEAT THEM! ...plus that night was crazy for me took wrong exit and got lost in hopuston area TWICE after the game...Thank god i now have a GPS!

[quote name="Buddy09" post="873713" timestamp="1286968809"]
For me Class 4A Play-offs 1979  Baytown Lee beats undefeated and #1 state ranked LaPorte in the Astrodome.

So long ago I do not remember score  :D
[/quote]

Buddy.....that is my pick. It was 1979 and LaPorte was Nationally ranked as well. Their entire backfield was recruited by Oklahoma. Lee scored and and went for 2 with about a minute left in the game to win 29 to 28.

The best High School game for me was in 1982. A playoff game held in the Astrodome between Beaumont Westbrook and Houston Memorial. It was 4th and 19 for WB with under 2 minutes left in the game. WB trails Memorial needing a TD to win the contest.

QB Gerald Landry drops back to pass and finds, his favorite target Darrell "DC" Colbert for a gain of 21 yards and 1st down inside the Memorial 20 yard line.  With a new set of downs,Coach Durley decides on 1st down to allow his FB Jerry "Ice Box" Ball to carry WB to victory.

That's exactly what he did rambling to pay dirt with a 19 yard run. WB wins the game and went on to win the 1982 5-A State Football Championship with a 21-10 victory over Hurst Bell.

The second best High School game for me invloved a Coach Durley team as well. It was the 1976 Beaumont Hebert Panthers. The Panthers were in the second round of post season play leading 15-14 late in the game. The Humble Wildcats QB Michael Mosley was a great athlete,but was injured on Humble's last drive deep in Hebert's territory. 

The Panther Defense answered the call and stopped Humble's Running Back who was moved to QB on that drive. It was 4th and 2 for the Wildcats and they were driving for the winning score. Final score Hebert 15- Humble -14

That play motivated the Panthers to go on and win the 3-A State Football Championship. They defeated the Gainesville Leopards in Austin,Tx 35- 14

Guest GoStangs
[quote name="badndn" post="873964" timestamp="1286993888"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=74354.msg873926#msg873926 date=1286991615]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=74354.msg873728#msg873728 date=1286972981]
Three games come to mind for me that I attended:

1. 1986 (I think) Semis - WOS vs Kerville Tivy in the Dome. The best defensive play I have ever see to win a game! DB (I think it was Kevin Smith) while trailing motion man pre snap, shoots the gap between gaurd and center and tackles the RB as he is handed the ball on 4th and goal from inside the 1 at the end of the game. WOW. I was sitting right there in the endzone and couldn't believe what I just saw!

[/quote]

You were close.  The game was in 1987 and the defensive back who made that tackle was Quentin Tezeno, who but for some knee problems in college would have made the same noise as Kevin did.
[/quote]
I knew it was either Tezeno or Smith. Thanks. Tezeno also played QB on that team didn't he? They had a great RB also, was his name Cleveland? That was a great team.
[/quote]

Our QB was Tremain Lewis that year.  Brian Cleveland was the running back the year before, in 1986, when we beat McKinney in the state finals.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder