Whats the Best High School game you ever been too!

4 way tie for me and my Indians.  Although in two of the games they lost.

1989 - WO-S 20 PNG 19  The "Swinging Gate" worked
1998 - WO-S 26 PNG 21 Dustin Long's Junior year, Coburn twins convert a pair of 4th and forevers to move the chains.  Time runs out with the ball at WOS 2yd line. 
1999 - Schertz Clemmons vs PNG State Semifinal "The Drive" at the end of the game
2009 - Central vs. PNG 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna go small school with this one, being a graduate from Evadale last year.

2010: Evadale vs Colmesneil for dist. championship. both teams undefeated in district.

very intense, high profile game. the Rebels holds off RB Cody Berry 6 inches short of a 1st down on 4th & 6 I believe with 6 seconds left in the game to win 21-18. that was after Evadale marched down the field to retake the lead with less than 2 minutes left. I played in this game last year and it was crazy. after halftime a strange fog came onto the field and it wouldn't clear until we had the ball. But when Colmesneil got the ball, the fog came back, and it was thick too. Very emotional game too, being a Senior.

Then we got rewarded with Mart in the Area game of playoffs but thats for another day.  :D ;D :D ;D

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="875381" timestamp="1287164386"]
I can say it was Silsbee vs WOS in the 1998 playoffs. Silsbee won 21-20. What a game. Silsbee went on to go to the 4th round of the playoffs that year.
[/quote]
I was on the field for that one. Big shocker. I think it really propelled Silsbee forward for that run.

I recall a long WOS TD called back because a kid 15 yards behind the play blocked a Tiger in the back. Totally unecessary (the block that is, the flag was correct)! That block, even if made legally would have had no bearing on the play.

French High in 84 played Odessa Permian in Dallas Cowboys Stadium, UIL rules a tie 21-21.
French began season 5-4 had to win final game of season to get in playoffs which ended up sparking a conservative offense, then ran through many of great football teams in the Astrosdome, Kyle Field and then on to STATE verse Permian in Dallas, when they(Permian) were argueably the top program in the nation over a 10yr span. That 8-10year run by Permian set in to motion the book 'Friday Night Lights' then onto Hollywood for the Movie and now a TV series.

[quote name="swampdude" post="874120" timestamp="1287006282"]
[quote author=adminbaberuth link=topic=74354.msg873945#msg873945 date=1286992931]
Bridge City 21 West Orange 20, I was a youngster but to give you a hint of the year, Steve Worster was BC's running back.
[/quote]  Dang Admin....... you must be old!!!!!!  ;D But wasn't the score 20-20 with BC advancing on penetrations? Correct me if I am wrong.  How many of these young whippersnappers know about penetrations to break ties??   ;)
[/quote]

That was in 1965.  The Score was 20-20 and BC advanced on penetrations.

Best games I ever saw

1. Denton Ryan vs Ennis state semifinals 2002.  Ryan was down 14-3, facing 4th and 21 at their own 9 and came back to win 18-14.  On the last play of the game Graham Harrell threw an interception in the Ryan end zone.  Ryan went on to defeat Brenham in the championship game.

2. Denton Ryan vs LaMarque  2003 state Championship game. 42- 35 LaMarque 3OT.  Fantastic back and forth game.

3. Ryan vs Corsicana 2000 regional championship.  Coach Florence's dad had pass away that week.  The funeral was the day before the game and the team attended.  The team dedicated the game to coach Florence.  They came back from a 17 point halftime deficit to win on a QB sneak on the last play of the game.

4.  Ryan vs Smithson Valley - 2001 State championship game.  Ryan beat SV 42-35 in overtime.

I've seen lots of other great games, but these hold a special meaning because my son and his friends were involved.  Those are the ones that mean the most.

Kirbyville vs Barbers Hill 2005 at Sam Houston.  KV leads the whole game, BH kicks field goal with 1 min.  KV gets kickoff, runs 3 plays to cover 85 yrds, D. Hazlewood kicks game winning fg as time expires.  Brought tears to my eyes.

Also 2007, KV over Silsbee with 2 pt conversion with 7 seconds left.

1973 Area game-#2 Tyler John Tyler vs #1 Conroe Tigers in Conroe Stadium- I was 7 years old and made me love football. Conroe stopped Earl Campbell for 3 Qtrs. Last drive for Tyler, Earl threw a pass that completely suprised Conroe for a 10-7 lead. Conroe completed a couple of passes to get to the 20 of Tyler but ran out of time. 10-7 Tyler. Their was rumors after Tyler won state championship that the Tyler crowd chanted Tyler #1 Conroe#2. Not much scoring but man was their some hard hitting in the game. Old school football

The most physical football game i ever seen was when PA Lincoln knocked off #1 ranked Bay City but the best overall game i ever seen was West Brook v Galveston Ball in the dome 1984, it was a back n forth game and Darryl Owens wb's best player all year got beat for a td late wb was leading that game 35-17 and blew it

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="874566" timestamp="1287071650"]
Jasper vs Gilmer state championship game in Nacogdoches hands down!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

That's on my list as #1.  Was a good cold day and boy did Gilmer have a mixed crowd.  Hot chicks on one isle and puff-daddy on the other.  ;D Japser got robbed a TD on the goal-line. 

Can't remember much past yesterday, but believe it or not, I think last Friday's game between Lumberton and Livingston was one of the best played I've seen in a long time. Neither team gave up, and the game stayed exciting right up until the end. There wasn't a tremendous amount of penalties or mistakes by either team and they played a really tight game. I know it was heartbreaking for Livingston to lose, just as it would have been if it were the other way, but those boys really did play a good game.

also SFA vs Cameron Yoe we down in penetrations and we were faced with a 4th and long and marler wanted to punt, but Greg Green our d-coordinator said otherwise and we went 4 it and got it, and then it was classic kenny ford going in from 21 yards out to win the game

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder