Apparently FBS Schools Lose Money Too

[quote name="westendfirst" post="868158" timestamp="1286492952"]
For all of you that think that the FBS schools have it so easy, financially speaking:

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2010/august/140944/College-Football-2010:-Study-shows-that-most-athletic-programs-losing-money

[/quote]

A lot of that is because of Title IX. I'm not opposed to it, but having non-revenue generating sports that offer scholarships to support TIX cause a major financial strain on athletic budgets.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="868168" timestamp="1286494133"]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=74101.msg868158#msg868158 date=1286492952]
For all of you that think that the FBS schools have it so easy, financially speaking:

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2010/august/140944/College-Football-2010:-Study-shows-that-most-athletic-programs-losing-money

[/quote]

A lot of that is because of Title IX. I'm not opposed to it, but having non-revenue generating sports that offer scholarships to support TIX cause a major financial strain on athletic budgets.
[/quote]

I agree but apparently you ignored this sentence:

"Sixty-eight FBS schools reported turning a profit on football, with a median value of $8.8 million. The 52 FBS schools that lost money on football reported median losses of $2.7 million. "

Almost 1/2 the football programs in FBS are losing money.

[quote name="westendfirst" post="868176" timestamp="1286494365"]
[quote author=JJWooten link=topic=74101.msg868168#msg868168 date=1286494133]
[quote author=westendfirst link=topic=74101.msg868158#msg868158 date=1286492952]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree but apparently you ignored this sentence:

"Sixty-eight FBS schools reported turning a profit on football, with a median value of $8.8 million. The 52 FBS schools that lost money on football reported median losses of $2.7 million. "

Almost 1/2 the football programs in FBS are losing money.

[/quote]

I imagine its the same or worse for all divisions, but it helps with students, school identity etc...

Some of these "big time" schools also lose money in the big bowl games :o

by the time they make up for poor fan ticket sales, bringing everybody(team, band, coaches/wives, boosters) for a week at the host city, etc..cant remember for sure, ore or ore st. took a beating by attending the rose bowl

[quote name="puddin tane" post="868269" timestamp="1286500359"]
[i]Eighteen of 38 schools that provided copies of those reports to USA TODAY showed losses, their balance sheets sagging beneath the costs of travel, lodging, meals and tickets. Twelve schools had deficits of more than $100,000. For three, the shortfall exceeded $300,000[/i]

[/quote]

I can't figure our why you are excited that LU brought back football.  You continue to make the argument that brought about it demise in the 80's.  Are you really Billy Franklin in disguise?

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="868285" timestamp="1286501166"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=74101.msg868269#msg868269 date=1286500359]
[i]Eighteen of 38 schools that provided copies of those reports to USA TODAY showed losses, their balance sheets sagging beneath the costs of travel, lodging, meals and tickets. Twelve schools had deficits of more than $100,000. For three, the shortfall exceeded $300,000[/i]

[/quote]

I can't figure our why you are excited that LU brought back football.  You continue to make the argument that brought about it demise in the 80's.  Are you really Billy Franklin in disguise?
[/quote]

just a point to go along with westend's post...grass aint always greener [b]just cuz you are in a FBS bowl game[/b]...the midas bowl or the potato bowl or one of the other useles bowl games they have now....win 6 games ..go to a bowl....its like having 200 teams in march madness,,,[b]go pump your WAC[/b]

[quote name="Cardinal89" post="868813" timestamp="1286559632"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74101.msg868358#msg868358 date=1286503849]
Only about 30% of FBS schools play in a bowl game each year so while it is funny reading some of the post you guys write they aren't really accurate of the landscape of FBS football.
[/quote]

What isn't accurate?

[/quote]

First off I wasn't addressing your post. But, since you replied for there to an accurate picture of all DI football programs you need to list the FCS schools as well as the FBS schools. Well, only 30% of FBS schools are invited to a bowl games at the end of the season. So, it is funny to read the names of the bowls some of the guys make fun of. That leaves 70% of the schools sitting at home for Christmas and New Years.  

Only two of 125 FCS football-playing schools made a profit last season. As Fox news reports, that is fair and balanced.  ;D

[quote name="bigred360" post="868358" timestamp="1286503849"]
[b]Only about 30% of FBS schools play in a bowl game each year[/b] so while it is funny reading some of the post you guys write they aren't really accurate of the landscape of FBS football.
[/quote]

That's inaccurate. There are 35 bowl games for upcoming year, which means 70 teams will be invited to play (assuming all 70 are at least .500 by the end of the season, which may be tough). There are about 120 FBS programs eligible to play in bowl games at the end of the season (minus USC obviously), so that means about 60% of FBS teams are INVITED, and only about 30% win a bowl game.

Either way, I still agree with you on the rest ;)

[quote name="bigred360" post="868869" timestamp="1286564515"]
[quote author=Cardinal89 link=topic=74101.msg868813#msg868813 date=1286559632]
Only about 30% of FBS schools play in a bowl game each year so while it is funny reading some of the post you guys write they aren't really accurate of the landscape of FBS football.
[/quote]

What isn't accurate?

[/quote]

First off I wasn't addressing your post. But, since you replied for there to an accurate picture of all DI football programs you need to list the FCS schools as well as the FBS schools. Well, only 30% of FBS schools are invited to a bowl games at the end of the season. So, it is funny to read the names of the bowls some of the guys make fun of. That leaves 70% of the schools sitting at home for Christmas and New Years.  

Only two of 125 FCS football-playing schools made a profit last season. As Fox news reports, that is fair and balanced.  ;D
[/quote]

FBS teams get paid more to go play someone else and they generally charge more for tickets to a stadium that more seating than the average FCS and their officially licensed merchandise is carried in more places school so it shouldnt surprise anyone that there are more of them turning a profit than FCS schools, but all that only occurs when everything goes right.  Western Kentucky was an FCS powerhouse won a championship in 2000 I believe and decided they wanted to be FCS and they cant win a game and actually had a season ticket sales to buy seats for $5 a piece per game just to try and get butts in the seats so its not all sunshine and lollypops and there is some level of risk when making the move, but there are folks who have done it and been really successful too.  Bottom line Lamar isnt too good for the SLC and at this point Lamar isnt too good to turn up their noses to the West TX A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world if they were to enter the SLC, and until Lamar reaches a point that they are at least heading in the direction of being too good I would think you are better off where you are...

There are more sports than just football to consider. I have yet to see a post stating we are too good for the current alignment of the SLC. We are a first year program and so you are right about Lamar currently. But, when I make a statement about Lamar moving I personally am talking about 5 or more years from now.

You nor I know how good our program will be then. I am starting to think it is funny your own school is doing a feasibility study to see if your program should move up to a FBS conference and yet you are concerned about Lamar. Does that mean your school is too good to turn up their noses up at the West TX A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world?

Lamar has to improve across the board with our athletic program before serious talks with a FBS can take place but it would be prudent for the administration here at Lamar to monitor the situation of FCS versus FBS.

[quote name="bigred360" post="868869" timestamp="1286564515"]
[/quote]

What isn't accurate?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think everyone was already aware that FCS is not profitable.  I've never said it was.  But it seems that many people on this board think that the grass is automatically greener for FBS schools.  Quite frankly, I was shocked to find out so many FBS football programs lose money.  I would have thought 1/4th of them were losing money.  I never would have imagined the number was closer to 1/2.  However, the real benefit to having football is not just whether or not the program itself is profitable.  Overall, it is just much better for the university.  Attendance, school spirit, the college experience, etc.

[quote name="kingkat99" post="868896" timestamp="1286567763"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74101.msg868869#msg868869 date=1286564515]
[/quote]

What isn't accurate?

[/quote]

[/quote]

FBS teams get paid more to go play someone else and they generally charge more for tickets to a stadium that more seating than the average FCS and their officially licensed merchandise is carried in more places school so it shouldnt surprise anyone that there are more of them turning a profit than FCS schools, but all that only occurs when everything goes right.  Western Kentucky was an FCS powerhouse won a championship in 2000 I believe and decided they wanted to be FCS and they cant win a game and actually had a season ticket sales to buy seats for $5 a piece per game just to try and get butts in the seats so its not all sunshine and lollypops and there is some level of risk when making the move, but there are folks who have done it and been really successful too.  Bottom line Lamar isnt too good for the SLC and at this point Lamar isnt too good to turn up their noses to the West TX A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world if they were to enter the SLC, and until Lamar reaches a point that they are at least heading in the direction of being too good I would think you are better off where you are...
[/quote]

I mostly agree EXCEPT I do think we are too good for the West Tx A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world. 

[quote name="bigred360" post="868903" timestamp="1286568736"]
There are more sports than just football to consider. I have yet to see a post stating we are too good for the current alignment of the SLC. We are a first year program and so you are right about Lamar currently. But, when I make a statement about Lamar moving I personally am talking about 5 or more years from now.

You nor I know how good our program will be there. I am starting to think it is funny your own school is doing a feasibility study to see if your program should move up to a FBS conference and yet you are concerned about Lamar. Does that mean your school is too good to turn up their noses up at the West TX A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world?

Lamar has to improve across the board with our athletic program before serious talks with a FBS can take place but it would be prudent for the administration here at Lamar to monitor the situation of FCS versus FBS.
[/quote]

I'm not concerned with Lamar its just the only thing you guys talk about.  As for Sam I responded to the survey and I made it a point to do so in such a way that its clear I'm against it.  Now you are correct that no one has come out and stated "we are too good" but people have said SLC is a junk conference and Lamar should have never left the sunbelt and needs to get out asap.....maybe as a fan of a school in said junk conference I'm taking that the wrong way or it may be my reading comprehension...

[quote name="kingkat99" post="869017" timestamp="1286577079"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=74101.msg868903#msg868903 date=1286568736]

You nor I know how good our program will be there. I am starting to think it is funny your own school is doing a feasibility study to see if your program should move up to a FBS conference and yet you are concerned about Lamar. Does that mean your school is too good to turn up their noses up at the West TX A&M's, Delta State's, and A&M Kingsville's of the world?

[/quote]

I'm not concerned with Lamar its just the only thing you guys talk about.  As for Sam I responded to the survey and I made it a point to do so in such a way that its clear I'm against it.  Now you are correct that no one has come out and stated "we are too good" but people have said SLC is a junk conference and Lamar should have never left the sunbelt and needs to get out asap.....maybe as a fan of a school in said junk conference I'm taking that the wrong way or it may be my reading comprehension...
[/quote]

No, you are right there are people who think Lamar should have never left the Sun Belt and you can count me as one of them. It has nothing to do with the members of the SLC. In my opinion it was a step back as for as our athletic programs. Now, there is no way to get out ASAP. It takes a lot of money and Lamar currently does not have it.

But I also thought it was a mistake to kill the football program is 1989.

Anyway, best of luck the rest of the season for SHSU. Start SLC play off right and kick Nicholls State's butt.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami