GCM Patriots

cbear4

Ok, I am all supportive on the way a coach runs his team, who he plays and so on, but it seems that this staff shows little or no emotion towards it's players. I played a lot of football and have seen plenty of coaches get in a guys grill, but it was usually to get the most out of them. It really seems that this staff has nothing to say to lift any player's spirits when mistakes are made. I mean nothing! I do see coaches yelling and screaming when they themselves seem lost. I do not care about what play is called or who is playing where, that is another story but can we have one coach on this staff be supportive and say anything positive to any of them. There is a huge problem here and noone seems to be addressing this. When coaches seem embarassed, they blame it on the kids and have excuses on why they are not successful. Players should want to win one for their coach but I will say there are not many players on this team that even like their coach,let alone win a game for him. I will even go as far to say that some of coaches cannot stand one another. I have had many a private conversation about this but i will see what responses are given. Like I said, he can play and whomever and call whatever plays he wants, but at the very least lead your team by showing you give a crap!

Guest octfeb
[quote name="cbear4" post="865854" timestamp="1286231226"]
Ok, I am all supportive on the way a coach runs his team, who he plays and so on, but it seems that this staff shows little or no emotion towards it's players. I played a lot of football and have seen plenty of coaches get in a guys grill, but it was usually to get the most out of them. It really seems that this staff has nothing to say to lift any player's spirits when mistakes are made. I mean nothing! I do see coaches yelling and screaming when they themselves seem lost. I do not care about what play is called or who is playing where, that is another story but can we have one coach on this staff be supportive and say anything positive to any of them. There is a huge problem here and noone seems to be addressing this. When coaches seem embarassed, they blame it on the kids and have excuses on why they are not successful. Players should want to win one for their coach but I will say there are not many players on this team that even like their coach,let alone win a game for him. I will even go as far to say that some of coaches cannot stand one another. I have had many a private conversation about this but i will see what responses are given. Like I said, he can play and whomever and call whatever plays he wants, but at the very least lead your team by showing you give a crap!
[/quote] You know the school board meetings are open to the public. Find out when the next one is, call to let them know what you want to address BEFORE the next meeting. That way they have a heads up and they can allow for you to have time to say what your concerns are. Just a thought

I agree a conversation with the school board might at least bring it to their attention but I a unsure if I would want to bring on some sort of firestorm with this. I do not have a personal ax to grind as our HC is not necessarily a bad guy, him and his staff just cannot seem to get on their level or want to for that matter.

All kids are different and should all be held to the same standards but sometimes dealing with them individually can go a long in gaining respect.

Is there an example or is this just a general observation.  I have been to the games and i can for sure see what you mean.  My view is a little different.  In my opinion from my playing days, i dont see any leadership from the players.  There is no senior players or any players for that matter that seem like that give a care.  It seems more like they show up, play and go home not caring what the outcome is like.  The only time that i have seen them get happy was on the interception by the LB in the last game.  i know when i played even years ago, the players were the ones leading the charge it was our team.  I know its the coaches job to lead, but to me the coaches cant care more about it than the kids do.

[quote name="QB01" post="866330" timestamp="1286286643"]
Is there an example or is this just a general observation.  I have been to the games and i can for sure see what you mean.  My view is a little different.  In my opinion from my playing days, i dont see any leadership from the players.  There is no senior players or any players for that matter that seem like that give a care.  It seems more like they show up, play and go home not caring what the outcome is like.  The only time that i have seen them get happy was on the interception by the LB in the last game.  i know when i played even years ago, the players were the ones leading the charge it was our team.  I know its the coaches job to lead, but to me the coaches cant care more about it than the kids do.
[/quote]
I can tell you that there are a few players on this ream that eat, sleep and breath football and would like nothing other than to lead this team. You have several individuals who just seem to care about their own individual performances and this is it. I have several examples from players fumbling and being ignored when coming to the sideline, to interceptions being thrown and the same result on the sideline. The defense can give up big play after big play with the same mistake being made over and over. Where does it end. A mistake needs to be corrected and the player encouraged the next time he goes out there. I see heads down and there a a few other players that are encouraging to each other. Way too much young talent on this team to have this sort of attitude. If my most explosive player fumbles or has a tendancy to fumble but can take it to the house on any given play, why not show some support. He is the one who is most likely going to make the big play. Instead, he plays about a third of the game.

Football is about discipline and teaching discipline at each position. Everyone has their job to do first on every play, help out second. If a player continues to do what he wants every play, he should be benched. Not many Seniors to lead here and no, not one is leading by example. The coach should care just as much as the kids do and work to make them better. I know for a fact that there have been times in practice where a struggling player or players have made a few mistakes and the team is asked to give them a "sarcastic" hand when they do something right. This is leadership by the coaches. This is encouragement. I have been cursed and embarrassed by coaches but they never had the team get involved. I am all for finding a way to get the most out of someone and if getting in their face does, I support this. Believe me, I am not soft and never have been so it is uncalled for if I disagree.

When I was playing, my relationship with my coaches are one reason I loved the game so much. They taught us everything and we would cut up with them when the time was right. If a coach made fun of you or something you did it was because he gave a crap. I never took it as an insult. These guys seem lost and do not know how to build players.

You can lose and learn something from it, not happening here.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="cbear4" post="866369" timestamp="1286289368"]
[quote author=QB01 link=topic=73967.msg866330#msg866330 date=1286286643]
[/quote]
I can tell you that there are a few players on this ream that eat, sleep and breath football and would like nothing other than to lead this team. You have several individuals who just seem to care about their own individual performances and this is it. I have several examples from players fumbling and being ignored when coming to the sideline, to interceptions being thrown and the same result on the sideline. The defense can give up big play after big play with the same mistake being made over and over. Where does it end. A mistake needs to be corrected and the player encouraged the next time he goes out there. I see heads down and there a a few other players that are encouraging to each other. Way too much young talent on this team to have this sort of attitude. If my most explosive player fumbles or has a tendancy to fumble but can take it to the house on any given play, why not show some support. He is the one who is most likely going to make the big play. Instead, he plays about a third of the game.

Football is about discipline and teaching discipline at each position. Everyone has their job to do first on every play, help out second. If a player continues to do what he wants every play, he should be benched. Not many Seniors to lead here and no, not one is leading by example. The coach should care just as much as the kids do and work to make them better. I know for a fact that there have been times in practice where a struggling player or players have made a few mistakes and the team is asked to give them a "sarcastic" hand when they do something right. This is leadership by the coaches. This is encouragement. I have been cursed and embarrassed by coaches but they never had the team get involved. I am all for finding a way to get the most out of someone and if getting in their face does, I support this. Believe me, I am not soft and never have been so it is uncalled for if I disagree.

When I was playing, my relationship with my coaches are one reason I loved the game so much. They taught us everything and we would cut up with them when the time was right. If a coach made fun of you or something you did it was because he gave a crap. I never took it as an insult. These guys seem lost and do not know how to build players.

[/quote] IMO leadership starts with the coaches. If they seem to not care if mistakes are made then why should the players. I know every single coach from Dayton, will get up in the players face if mistakes are made. And IMO the players respect that. I also know that when a player makes a good call on the field makes a good play, the Dayton coaches are right there to give them a at-a-boy. Its all about discipline and consistency. I have seen Stewart send in a player, the player makes a mistake and Stewart pulls him out and sends someone else in. No ifs ands or buts about it. That IMO just makes the player want to do better, to get more playing time. I mean really Coach Stewart must be doing something right, just look at his record here at Dayton. Did I say this is all JMO? ;)

[quote name="cbear4" post="866369" timestamp="1286289368"]
[/quote]
I know for a fact that there have been times in practice where a struggling player or players have made a few mistakes and the team is asked to give them a "sarcastic" hand when they do something right. This is leadership by the coaches. This is encouragement. [/quote]
i wish had the opportunity to attend their practices.

[quote name="octfeb" post="866421" timestamp="1286294513"]
[quote author=cbear4 link=topic=73967.msg866369#msg866369 date=1286289368]
[/quote]

[/quote] IMO leadership starts with the coaches. If they seem to not care if mistakes are made then why should the players. I know every single coach from Dayton, will get up in the players face if mistakes are made. And IMO the players respect that. I also know that when a player makes a good call on the field makes a good play, the Dayton coaches are right there to give them a at-a-boy. Its all about discipline and consistency. I have seen Stewart send in a player, the player makes a mistake and Stewart pulls him out and sends someone else in. No ifs ands or buts about it. That IMO just makes the player want to do better, to get more playing time. I mean really Coach Stewart must be doing something right, just look at his record here at Dayton. Did I say this is all JMO? ;)
[/quote]
I agree with everything here. I wish other coaches could see that this breeds and is contagious to a team.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="868140" timestamp="1286490747"]
Is it just me or does all of the coaching staffs at the baytown schools have issues? None of the head coaches seem to care if you ask me.
[/quote]
ok this cracks me up.  ok i am new to this board because my son is just a freshmen this year, so i dont have the skins on the wall and some of yall might just blow me off because im a newbie but this kills me.  The only reason we are having this conversation is because varsity is 1-4 right now.  Was the coach the same way last year when they were winning.  Before you say he doesnt care has anyone actually looked into what the program is doing?  How are the subvarsity teams doing( 3 weeks - 3 wins for each team Fish B, Fish A, JV), how are the kids doing in school (my son's team didnt lose anyone to grades), are the kids discipline problems on the field or off the field, are there kids leaving the program going on to college to either play or even get a degree.  I know the coach is suppose to lead and teach, but to me like some one said earlier its not the plays that are being called, we hurt ourselves.  We cant hold on to the ball to save our lifes and thats not just us because some of the dayton people are complaining about fumbles too.  We just are strong enought to over come it.  The coach isnt the one holding on to the ball on friday night.  Also if you look at it, how many seniors actually play?  We play more soph and jr than srs by far.  Its completely different for those kids from thurs to fri night and some just havent gotten up to speed as fast as we would like them to.  All i know is my son is loving his freshmen year, he says there are freshmen that didnt play begging to get in because they see whats going on.  i know this is a forum board and the point is to talk trash but some things out there just boogle my mind sometimes.  By the way Good Luck to anyone suiting up tonight and LETS GO PATS.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="QB01" post="868548" timestamp="1286539198"]
[quote author=Kenny Powers link=topic=73967.msg868140#msg868140 date=1286490747]
Is it just me or does all of the coaching staffs at the baytown schools have issues? None of the head coaches seem to care if you ask me.
[/quote]
ok this cracks me up.  ok i am new to this board because my son is just a freshmen this year, so i dont have the skins on the wall and some of yall might just blow me off because im a newbie but this kills me.  The only reason we are having this conversation is because varsity is 1-4 right now.  Was the coach the same way last year when they were winning.  Before you say he doesnt care has anyone actually looked into what the program is doing?  How are the subvarsity teams doing( 3 weeks - 3 wins for each team Fish B, Fish A, JV), how are the kids doing in school (my son's team didnt lose anyone to grades), are the kids discipline problems on the field or off the field, are there kids leaving the program going on to college to either play or even get a degree.  I know the coach is suppose to lead and teach, but to me like some one said earlier its not the plays that are being called, we hurt ourselves.  We cant hold on to the ball to save our lifes and thats not just us because some of the dayton people are complaining about fumbles too.  We just are strong enought to over come it.  The coach isnt the one holding on to the ball on friday night.  Also if you look at it, how many seniors actually play?  We play more soph and jr than srs by far.  Its completely different for those kids from thurs to fri night and some just havent gotten up to speed as fast as we would like them to.  All i know is my son is loving his freshmen year, he says there are freshmen that didnt play begging to get in because they see whats going on.  i know this is a forum board and the point is to talk trash but some things out there just boogle my mind sometimes.  By the way Good Luck to anyone suiting up tonight and LETS GO PATS.
[/quote][b]i know this is a forum board and the point is to talk trash[/b]<--- to talk trash is not the point of this forum.. to talk football is the point of this forum. But the trash talk just makes it fun. Welcome to the setx forums. I think it is awesome your son is so excited about playing football. That is the 1st step to a great player. Oh and I liked reading your post. Hope to see you round for a lil trash talk when Dayton plays GCM.  ;)

im sorry, you are right there is some great stuff done on here.  The memorials to the WOS player and Coach Barbay are awesome.  On a football note, how are those kids Green and Dugat doing in their college careers?  Didnt they graduate a couple years ago from dayton.  I saw the Green kid some action for the Big Red.

I dont know many in the GCM program but from watching Lee and Sterling, how can the talent be that bad? With GCM combined all three schools are getting spanked on a regular basis. There has to be enough talent to be at least .500 every year.  Like the others, when watching from the stands I like to see the coaches giving high fives, putting their hands on the kids heads and looking them in eye when they do good or bad, showing some emotion. Kids play harder when their coach is as excited as they are. I havent seen that from any of the head coaches at the three schools.  Maybe the larger issue is that Baytown doesnt have any true feeder schools at the junior high level where the kids can connect and dream about playing for their high school coach. It is inexcuseable that the football in Baytown on the varsity level has gotten this bad.

Guest octfeb
[quote name="QB01" post="868576" timestamp="1286543261"]
im sorry, you are right there is some great stuff done on here.  The memorials to the WOS player and Coach Barbay are awesome.  On a football note, how are those kids Green and Dugat doing in their college careers?  Didnt they graduate a couple years ago from dayton.  I saw the Green kid some action for the Big Red.
[/quote] Cody Green is doing really well in Nebraska. He I think started a couple games last year @ QB.
  AJ Dugat on the other hand got into some trouble at UH and was dismissed from the program. Not sure if he is back on the roster or what. And yes they Graduated in 08. Cody graduated early that year. That was the year Dayton went to state and lost against Sulpher Springs.

[quote name="Kenny Powers" post="868586" timestamp="1286543800"]
Maybe the larger issue is that Baytown doesnt have any true feeder schools at the junior high level where the kids can connect and dream about playing for their high school coach.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement.  We have a huge problem with this.  I know we have a 3 high school district but the district needs to set something up where the Jr High coaches have to be under the High School coach they are feeding to.  Right now im pretty sure they can do whatever they want.  So school like Dayton and Crosby and Barbers Hill already have a 2 year if not more head start because our kids dont learn a system or a coach till their freshmen year.

QB01, I would understand why you would see things differently because your son is on the Freshman team. I know some of them better than others but there are three Freshman coaches with fire in their bellies and are seem to know how tonot only teach, but motivate the kids to perform at a high level. You honestly tellme you see the same out of the coaches on Friday night. It starts with the coaches and how to see how much you can get out of each kid. You say it would be different if they were winning and where was this last year. I had the same opinion along with many others last year. Did you see all the games last season. We are in a weak district for the most part and are "lost" when we play good football teams. Sounds negative so prove me wrong. You come back next year and year after and let me know how you feel. I will never call anyone out by name hear, but I will take 22 Freshman with Fire in their bellies over 22 upperclassmen who just do not get it. I wish your son well and hope he loves the game as much as I do.

As far as having young guys and they are not aware of the "Friday night stage" give me a break, it doesn't take much to look like you give a crap about what is going on. Play as a team, not individuals and stay disciplined for 4 quarters. I am one of the most optimistic people in the world, but unless the staff changes some attitudes or even personalities, things will stay the same. They may be young but there isplenty of talent hear for a postseason run this year and for years to come.

[quote name="QB01" post="868615" timestamp="1286546389"]
[quote author=Kenny Powers link=topic=73967.msg868586#msg868586 date=1286543800]
Maybe the larger issue is that Baytown doesnt have any true feeder schools at the junior high level where the kids can connect and dream about playing for their high school coach.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement.  We have a huge problem with this.  I know we have a 3 high school district but the district needs to set something up where the Jr High coaches have to be under the High School coach they are feeding to.  Right now im pretty sure they can do whatever they want.  So school like Dayton and Crosby and Barbers Hill already have a 2 year if not more head start because our kids dont learn a system or a coach till their freshmen year.
[/quote]
I hear the coaches at GCM are getting more involved down at the JR High level. I hope this continues and I hope that at the very least there is one coach down there that can teach the kids some fundamental before reaching the high school.

A good friend of mine's son is on the GCM JV, they have plenty of talent and I expect them to be playoff material the next couple of years at least. This is the last class that could choose their school as well, the program will finally be able to see what they are getting year in and year out.

[quote name="cbear4" post="868655" timestamp="1286548698"]
[quote author=QB01 link=topic=73967.msg868615#msg868615 date=1286546389]
[quote author=Kenny Powers link=topic=73967.msg868586#msg868586 date=1286543800]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear the coaches at GCM are getting more involved down at the JR High level. I hope this continues and I hope that at the very least there is one coach down there that can teach the kids some fundamental before reaching the high school.
[/quote]

the GCM coaches have done nothing with the Highlands group and they are getting spanked. Someone posted on here that Dayton beat them 56-6 on the 8th grade a level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami