Reggies Mom and Coach Hooks on NBC Today Show

kicker

I would like to take the opportunity to thank NBC for the responsible was they handled with story.  They could have, and probably wanted to, launch into some sort of crusade against violence in football.  However, they reported the facts and the state of medicine as they exist.  A certain newspaper that is supposed to represent this area should take note!

grad, there will always be those morons that try to take advantage of a tragedy to sell papers, tv, media in a whole. I hope those people realize that all they do is hurt the people greiving by giving them more questions. im not sure what paper you are reffering to, but I know its not the Orange Leader. Gabe has done a wonderful job writing his articles. but hes a class guy also.

[quote name="kicker" post="852026" timestamp="1284996293"]
grad, there will always be those morons that try to take advantage of a tragedy to sell papers, tv, media in a whole. I hope those people realize that all they do is hurt the people greiving by giving them more questions. im not sure what paper you are reffering to, but I know its not the Orange Leader. Gabe has done a wonderful job writing his articles. but hes a class guy also.
[/quote]

No, Tyler, Gabe, Van and the Leader have done a wonderful job, a job that I can tell you from being in contact with him all weekend has been a very difficult  one for him.  I'll just let you judge for yourself about the article I am talking about, maybe I am overreacting, but I think this piece is well beyond the bounds of irresponsible reporting:  

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/Cause_of_players_death_remains_unclear.html?&showAllComments=y

Ok, just read the article. Im not that upset about it, but it is unnessasary for the lady " Amy Moore" to speculate. Speculation IS NOT what is needed right now. Here is what i have conluded she writes that he had a "history of seizures" when in fact he only had one previous when he was a baby. Babies can have a seizure with high fever and never have any problems after. She wrote it in a way that twisted the facts, and that is wrong. Also, she states "Coaches Knew of his history of Seizures" now thats crap. Once again, he had one as a baby. Thats all. This is right from his mothers mouth. It seems the Beaumont Enterprise is trying to make blame on the coaches. That is very uncalled for, and Amy Moore needs to think about the mourners instead of getting people to read her article by twisting the facts. And she states numerous times, "experts" that would lead a reader into thinking that the article content is factual, which in a way is not. IMO, she didnt try to smear, just tried to get attention. Everyone is trying to find a scientific reason, when the only reason is God. I believe they(the Enterprise) should have worded the article different.

I watched his mother this morning on NBC. What sadness I saw in her eyes!!! How can anyone even come close to understanding her pain right now. It appeared to me that Coach Hooks is absolutely devastated.

I am glad she cleared up the "seizure" issue, which has kind of lingered over the weekend. We should know when the autopsy is published. Again, my condolences to all, especially the family and teammates.

Coach Hooks looks terrible in these interviews, like he hasn't slept for days, and that makes me even more sad.
The only questionable thing I've read/seen is Ms. Moore's article but I don't pay any attention to anything she writes because she used to write fiction for the Port Arthur News too before moving over there.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="852548" timestamp="1285036408"]
Coach Hooks looks terrible in these interviews, like he hasn't slept for days, and that makes me even more sad.
The only questionable thing I've read/seen is Ms. Moore's article but I don't pay any attention to anything she writes because she used to write fiction for the Port Arthur News too before moving over there.
[/quote]i agree.  :'(

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="852050" timestamp="1284997861"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=73212.msg852026#msg852026 date=1284996293]
[/quote]

No, Tyler, Gabe, Van and the Leader have done a wonderful job, a job that I can tell you from being in contact with him all weekend has been a very difficult  one for him.  I'll just let you judge for yourself about the article I am talking about, maybe I am overreacting, but I think this piece is well beyond the bounds of irresponsible reporting:  

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/Cause_of_players_death_remains_unclear.html?&showAllComments=y

[/quote]

Grad.....I agree 100% That was irresponsible to report soley based on speculation.  Two years ago while at a Marathon in Chicago there was a world class athelete who colapsed and died due to sudden heart failure.  It was very hot and humid and automatically it was because there was a water shortage (which there was) and the marathon was at fault in the media's eyes.  I had a friend who passed away sudddenly because of the same thing.  Last year a guy I gaduated with also dies of heart failure, as did his father and a sister.  Statistically speaking, these things happen and they are always hard to beleive, especially when it's someone of such good nature and great physical condition (like Reggie).  A standard physical just wont show all conditions, and even an EKG won't find some of those genetic flaws that could happen to any of us.  Seems it would be prudent for the media to wait for the autopsy results and report the facts.  It's a small community and there are likely enough rumors to go around without reports like this.         

From past experience, the BE does not appreciate the posting of links from its stories in other forums, etc.  Don't be surprised, Mods, if you are contacted by someone from the BE.  Just sayin'.

I don't know this family or this young man, but I am heartbroken over the whole situation.  Last night, I watched an interview with the father on one of the local stations.  He said, "The one game I missed is te one where my baby went down."  What that poor man must be going through.

[quote name="Raider81" post="852715" timestamp="1285075797"]
From past experience, the BE does not appreciate the posting of links from its stories in other forums, etc.  Don't be surprised, Mods, if you are contacted by someone from the BE.  Just sayin'.

[/quote]

Well, 81, in merely the link to it, we have complied with all existing copyright laws.  However, if they are so inclined, I would LOVE to have communication with the Surprise about this article, if you know what I mean.

[quote name="w" post="852871" timestamp="1285086265"]
How about the name on THIS link?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39267561#39267561

It's about Reggie and the title is "Are Young Athletes Being Played to Death?"  Now why would they name it that?  Sensationalism!!!!
[/quote]why even name it that?  goodness.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder