Can Nederland?!

smitty

Interesting and good post.  Haven't thought about it this way.  Curious what the kool-aid drinkers have to say about this one!  LOL!!    :o

[quote name="DogOne" post="848387" timestamp="1284614711"]
I'd like to hear everyone's comments on these stats:

Matt Burnett's record his last 5 seasons at PNG, 2004 - 2008: 
29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
2 District or Co-District Championships
1 Losing Season

Larry Neumann's record his last 5 complete seasons at Nederland, 2005 - 2009: 
29 - 24 overall
3 - 4 playoffs
0 District Championships
1 Losing Season

These records are VERY similar yet one coach was "reassigned" and the other is generally regarded as one of the best coaches in the area.  Why the discrepancy???

[/quote]

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
1 Losing Season

29 - 24 overall
3 - 4 playoffs
0 District Championships
1 Losing Season

These records are VERY similar yet one coach was "reassigned" and the other is generally regarded as one of the best coaches in the area.  Why the discrepancy???

[/quote]

Yep and some very very non competitive games. This is not the Nederland that beat us in 2001 and has not been for the past 3 years. No where near the athletes we were used to facing when we played Nederland. I hope they get it back - but in my eyes there is a huge gap between PNG and Nederland right now.

It was 1993 and it was Silsbee RB Jay McGuire, Willie Ray Smith award winner, who racked up 454 yards rushing and 5 TD's. McGuire had over 600 all purpose yards and 6 TD's in that game against Nederland.

But the amazing part was later that season. McGuire broke his leg in the last district game against Jasper and would miss the playoffs. Facing Nederland in the first round of the playoffs, most folks thought Silsbee was doomed because the Tigers needed every bit of McGuire's yards and TD's in the first game with Ned, which was a shootout, Tigers winning 48-44.

Silsbee decided to scrap their zone coverage defense that Nederland ripped apart in the regular season game and they went to man coverage and blitzed every other play. Result was 10 sacks on the Nederland QB and 2 picks and a 34-7 Bi-district win.

Thanks for the info.  I had the time-frame wrong.  But was right on the important points.  That this running back did rush for these many yards against this DC.  Again thanks.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="848419" timestamp="1284643530"]
It was 1993 and it was Silsbee RB Jay McGuire, Willie Ray Smith award winner, who racked up 454 yards rushing and 5 TD's. McGuire had over 600 all purpose yards and 6 TD's in that game against Nederland.

But the amazing part was later that season. McGuire broke his leg in the last district game against Jasper and would miss the playoffs. Facing Nederland in the first round of the playoffs, most folks thought Silsbee was doomed because the Tigers needed every bit of McGuire's yards and TD's in the first game with Ned, which was a shootout, Tigers winning 48-44.

Silsbee decided to scrap their zone coverage defense that Nederland ripped apart in the regular season game and they went to man coverage and blitzed every other play. Result was 10 sacks on the Nederland QB and 2 picks and a 34-7 Bi-district win.
[/quote]

Guest tappedout
The big problem Neumann and his staff has faced over the last few season's are significant injuries at crucial position's. There's not many team's around that can lose their starting QB and have a successful season and this has happened over the last few seasons. Take the blinder's off and look a little deeper at what these team's have had to deal with over the last few season's.

What, tappedout, no comment on fwstangs post about the comparison of the two coaches?  Blinders getting in the way??  LOL!!    ;D  ::) 

[quote name="tappedout" post="848473" timestamp="1284650028"]
The big problem Neumann and his staff has faced over the last few season's are significant injuries at crucial position's. There's not many team's around that can lose their starting QB and have a successful season and this has happened over the last few seasons. Take the blinder's off and look a little deeper at what these team's have had to deal with over the last few season's.
[/quote]

[quote name="Bulldog8" post="848335" timestamp="1284604166"]
[quote author=smiley93 link=topic=72900.msg847984#msg847984 date=1284569241]
IMHO...Nederlands problem(s) actually start in the middle schools. I am going out on a limb here to say that probably most of us in these forums are middle aged. Well when I was in junior high, they played flag football and you didn't play contact football until high school. We didn't have all the junior leagues (for all sports) like they do now (which I don't agree with either as you're seeing way too many injuries amongst such young boys). Not all boys play in these junior leagues though. THAT being said, the boys are not being properly prepared for high school football at at least ONE of the middle schools for sure in Nederland. Neumann might want to [u][b]REALLY[/b][/u] consider and take a look at what he hires at those levels considering they are the ones preparing the boys for HIS high school program. I had two sons play at one of the middle schools and I never before have witnessed such incompetence amongst the coaches. VERY basic changes just wouldn't be made. It was SO agonizing they (my boys) decided they didn't want to play at all in high school. Not because they didn't like the sport but it was made to be so depressing in junior high. THAT is what is happening in Nederland... the love of the game is being lost in the middle schools!! Would I like to see a house cleaning in Nederland? Why not? It certainly hasn't hurt PN-G. Sometimes people get too comfortable and things need to be shaken up! When you have talent and it isn't utilized then sometimes you might need to consider other options. I think Nederland has some serious talent right now too and the first district game will show everyone exactly what Nederland has to offer! Good luck guys!!!
[/quote]

This is way over the top. I played Jr league in the 70's and played all my school sports in Nederland. We one 1 game a year at Jr High level and not very many in high school. You play because you love the sports, period. Most kids quite because they dont like the disciplne that goes with football. Some dont play because they specialize in other sports. Or they just hang out with the wrong crowd, either way, football is a sport you have love to play. [color=red][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree, not disagreeing with you on that!! BUT...I am speaking from my own experiences with one of the middle schools and football became a joke[/font][/color]

As for as JR league football, I agree that some coaches out there do not know what is going on, however it is no different than other youths sports. The most inportant to any young player is to know to keep their head when they tackle so they dont get hurt.
Kids should have fun in league sports but if they cant hack they need to find something else to do.

By the way most all of the sophmores if not all them that are playing on Friday night play Jr league football is about half and half between hte 2 schools, and there are more coming right behind them. It is not for everyone.
[color=red][font=Comic Sans MS] Actually there are 5 sophomores starting right now (6 counting Stampley once he recuperates) and out of those 6 only 1 came from CMS.[/font][/color]

Are you aware the Central beat CO 8th grade A team for the first time 10 years last year
[color=red][font=Comic Sans MS]Yes, I am VERY much aware of Central beating CO last year. Believe me it wasn't because of the talent of the coaching staff either. That was a very athletically dominant 8th grade class.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Anyone who would make a blanket statement that the middle schools are the problem with Nederland's football program obviously isn't very well acquainted with Jack Lynch. 
[size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS][color=red]You're correct...I'm not acquainted with Jack Lynch. No idea who that even is?! Don't really care as I'm obviously not talking about him  ;)[/color][/font][/size][/size]

Your budding superstars at Central may have had bad experiences, but your initial statement about both schoolsis just wrong.  It is not a coaching problem at Central it is an overall talent problem. [color=red][size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally disagree, the player talent is what got the 1st win against CO in 10 years last year!! There actually is A LOT of talent at Central it's just not utilized by the coaches. And I later made an implication as to what middle school I was referring to anyways. [/font][/size][/color]

C.O. traditionally has more of the better athletes. 
[color=red][size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS] That's probably a true statement BUT... from here on out that's mostly because of transfers too, because parents and kids from the CMS district don't WANT to play for CMS!!! Take a look at how many transfers were approved in the last 2 years!!! It is enough to open anyone's eyes!! Get a clue?! [/font][/size][/color]

As long as both middle schools are teaching the fundamentals of Neumann's system and replenishing the ranks in high school the middle school coaches at both schools are doing their jobs.

Why, you advocating Burnett as the next HC @ Nederland?  LOL!!    ;D

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="848496" timestamp="1284653664"]
[quote author=DogOne link=topic=72900.msg848387#msg848387 date=1284614711]

29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
1 Losing Season

[/quote]

Miss Me Yet?
[/quote]

29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
1 Losing Season

29 - 24 overall
3 - 4 playoffs
0 District Championships
1 Losing Season

[/quote]

Interesting.... IMHO - Going back to the 60's PNG has always set the football bar a lttle higher than Ned.

I wonder if you compare Football staffs of these two schools, what percent are "homegrown" and how many are "outsiders" ? I would guess that Ned is significantly more homegrown, but not sure.  PNG seems to have the guts to hire from outside over the years more so than Ned.

You stated; "Going back to the 60's PNG has always set the football bar a lttle higher than Ned."
Yes, this seems to be correct.  PN-G has played in three State Championships and won one, while Ned has played in zero.  Why do you think PN-G has always set the bar higher than Ned?

[quote name="Dav-J" post="848511" timestamp="1284655559"]

29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
1 Losing Season

29 - 24 overall
3 - 4 playoffs
0 District Championships
1 Losing Season

[/quote]

Interesting.... IMHO - Going back to the 60's PNG has always set the football bar a lttle higher than Ned.

I wonder if you compare Football staffs of these two schools, what percent are "homegrown" and how many are "outsiders" ? I would guess that Ned is significantly more homegrown, but not sure.  PNG seems to have the guts to hire from outside over the years more so than Ned.
[/quote]

[quote name="adminbaberuth" post="848496" timestamp="1284653664"]

29 - 22 overall
2 - 2 playoffs
1 Losing Season

[/quote]

Miss Me Yet?
[/quote]
No, not yet!!

Now this is interesting, I pulled this from : www.texasfootball.com/all-time-playoff-appearances/

Nederland has had (31) playoff appearances: 1937, 39, 42, 44, 45, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 61, 63, 64, 65, 88, 93, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009

Port Neches-Groves has had (26) playoff appearances: 1933, 34, 38, 41, 46, 47, 52, 53, 54, 55, 61, 68, 74, 75, 76, 77, 89, 90, 92, 96, 98, 99, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2009

Nederland and PN-G have won only 1 State Championship each.  I don't believe for a minute that PN-G has a higher "Bar" set than Nederland.  I do agree that it appears that Nederland does have more "Homegrown" coaching, if you will, while PN-G has started hiring outsiders.  Faircloth is a good coach and PN-G is getting to capitalize from this.  Neumann is a good coach as well, has anyone forgotten last year's game against PN-G??? The first half we had Faircloth throwing his clipboard on the ground because they couldn't get a grip on us.  As we all know, Nederland ended up losing that game... but it sure took a while for Faircloth to get things figured out, and btw.... the score for that game was 23-7. There were only 2 other teams that kept the all mighty Indians to scoring less points in a game and that was BARBERS HILL AND TEXAS CITY, which were pre-season . . . so Nederland held them to the least points scored on a team in our District in 2009.  We also made play-offs (again) and did all of this with a injury plagued team and several QB changes. Point being..... you can disect our coaching staff, strategies, formations, etc. etc. etc. all you want, but heart, determination and the talent of those kids is what is winning games.  Proof enough of that from our season last year. IMO, one of the most dedicated to winning teams Neumann has had in a long time. It is too early to see so many people speaking so negatively when we haven't even played a district game yet.  Why doesn't everybody just sit back and see what they do with Vidor.  Maybe things will get a little more pleasant on this board.

guys, not trying to mess with ya'lls thread, but another side for you guys talking about middle schools. Before moving to mid-county, I grew up in the west end of Beaumont. At the time we had 7 middle schools and two highschools in the early 90's. The middle schools weren't that great, but when we got to high school, man we were awesome. My class went undefeated at WB from Freshmen through seniors before losing in the playoffs. Point is, if there's talent then the kids are going to respond by HS, and if there's a lack of talent, then Neuman will have his hands full, but he has proven himself to all in SETX that he can coach kids up. This isn't PeeWee football anymore, it's HS. Either the kids grow up or they get left behind. Have fun while it lasts, because it will be over soon. BTW, I think Nederland will be in the mix this year.

[quote name="smiley93" post="848500" timestamp="1284654253"]
Anyone who would make a blanket statement that the middle schools are the problem with Nederland's football program obviously isn't very well acquainted with Jack Lynch. 
[size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS][color=red]You're correct...I'm not acquainted with Jack Lynch. No idea who that even is?! Don't really care as I'm obviously not talking about him  ;)[/color][/font][/size][/size]

Your budding superstars at Central may have had bad experiences, but your initial statement about both schoolsis just wrong.  It is not a coaching problem at Central it is an overall talent problem. [color=red][size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally disagree, the player talent is what got the 1st win against CO in 10 years last year!! There actually is A LOT of talent at Central it's just not utilized by the coaches. And I later made an implication as to what middle school I was referring to anyways. [/font][/size][/color]

[color=red][size=12pt][font=Comic Sans MS] That's probably a true statement BUT... from here on out that's mostly because of transfers too, because parents and kids from the CMS district don't WANT to play for CMS!!! Take a look at how many transfers were approved in the last 2 years!!! It is enough to open anyone's eyes!! Get a clue?! [/font][/size][/color]

As long as both middle schools are teaching the fundamentals of Neumann's system and replenishing the ranks in high school the middle school coaches at both schools are doing their jobs.
[/quote]

Smiley, you're either an ostrich or an idiot. 

C.O. traditionally has more talent.  Plain and simple.  That's not the case every year, but traditionally it has been.  By the way, I think you answered your own question when you said that Central beat C.O. for the first time in ten years.  Some of the more affluent neighborhoods are on that side of town and more of those parents make the investment in their kids at a young age as far as time and opportunities.  Because of that, more of those kids have developed athletically by the time they are in middle school than what you have at Central. 

The number of transfers has very little to do with athletics.  Most of the transfers are more for, shall I say, demographic reasons, than for sports.  Right or wrong there are some parents that don't want their kids going to Central for various reasons, none of which have anything to do with athletics.  Now, I am not saying that never occurs, but it is rare.  (On a related note, anyone that would transfer their kid for athletic reasons in middle school ought to have their head examined.)

At the end of the day, none of the wins and losses in middle school have anything to do with what happens on Friday nights as long as kids are taught the system and remain interested. 

WOW!  A newbie starts off with a personal attack.  If you don't like what the person said then don't read it.    :o

[quote name="ispeakjive" post="848639" timestamp="1284666293"]
[quote author=smiley93 link=topic=72900.msg848500#msg848500 date=1284654253]

[/quote]

Smiley, you're either an ostrich or an idiot. 

C.O. traditionally has more talent.  Plain and simple.  That's not the case every year, but traditionally it has been.  By the way, I think you answered your own question when you said that Central beat C.O. for the first time in ten years.  Some of the more affluent neighborhoods are on that side of town and more of those parents make the investment in their kids at a young age as far as time and opportunities.  Because of that, more of those kids have developed athletically by the time they are in middle school than what you have at Central. 

The number of transfers has very little to do with athletics.  Most of the transfers are more for, shall I say, demographic reasons, than for sports.  Right or wrong there are some parents that don't want their kids going to Central for various reasons, none of which have anything to do with athletics.  Now, I am not saying that never occurs, but it is rare.  (On a related note, anyone that would transfer their kid for athletic reasons in middle school ought to have their head examined.)

At the end of the day, none of the wins and losses in middle school have anything to do with what happens on Friday nights as long as kids are taught the system and remain interested. 
[/quote]

Well...I don't really appreciate being called either of those, jive!!

Having worked in the school district I KNOW parents personally that are sending their kids over for athletic purposes!! [i]You're[/i] the idiot if you believe the reason that it's more for demographics than athletics!! Nice lesson thats being taught the kids too that if you don't like or should I say "prefer" the color of ones' skin, MOVE to the "other side"!!!  I would like to think their ignorant brains prefer the athletics over the demographics. I sent my kids to Central and NEVER once did we run into a problem with the demographics. Oh well, lame argument about something that is bred into people.
I live on the south side myself and I take offense in the implication you made that just because one lives on the "other side of the tracks" means they invest in their kids at a young age as far as time and opportunities. I won't let it ruffle my feathers though.

You said it yourself, if the interest is still there than the kids will continue to play. My point exactly is that the interest is killed "sometimes" in the middle schools after such pitiful seasons. Thanks!

Smiley, I don't think that you and I disagree as much as you think.

My son goes to Central.  I have no problem with the academics or athletics there, but there are a lot of people who do.  In my opinion, it is the better school.  I think that the transfers from Central to C.O. are ridiculous, whether it is because of athletics or anything else.  I also know several people who have transferred their kids to C.O. and I just don't get it.  If you are right about the transfers being for athletic purposes, I think that would be news to the teachers and administrators at Central. 

I live on the same side of town as you do and I stand by my comment.  By and large there are more people like you and me who are involved and engaged with their children in the C.O. zone than there are in the Central zone.  That's not a swipe at anyone or any group in particular, but just the way it is.

I worked in the district for a while, too and I would love to continue this conversation.  P.M. me if you get a chance. 

I don't think it would be news AT ALL to tell you the truth. I think there's a lot of people that would be in denial  :-X No one is going to admit that a move was made for athletic purposes because technically those aren't supposed to be allowed (but they ARE). I agree that Central is good school too. I'm certainly not going to put myself out there for an attack and say it's the better of the two but it's interesting to get feedback from the high school teachers as to comparisons. Having said THAT...let's just say I'm glad my kids went to Central  ;) ;) ;D This thread got way off topic too...I believe this particular topic is a whole other thread! Nederland has a decent athletics department and lucky for the district that it has a TON of talent!!

Smitty, just asking but aren't you kind of cherry picking what you've been right about on the facts here.  I'm not talking about your opinion, which you are entitled to, but this is about the first fact you've been accurate on, and it was a half truth, you tried to lump that 93 Silsbee game in with the 97-04 era.  You still haven't addressed your TOTAL and COMPLETE misfire on the defenses from the 1997 - 2004 window, when we were DOMINANT.  Please, don't support your opinion based on incorrect data, and then tell people to bring their facts, stop drinkin the kool-aid, take off the rose colored glasses... etc.  If you want to talk the last few years, have at it, we've struggled, but don't lump 2 decades into the discussion, because you are wrong about it.

[quote name="smitty" post="848427" timestamp="1284645249"]
Thanks for the info.  I had the time-frame wrong.  But was right on the important points.  That this running back did rush for these many yards against this DC.  Again thanks.

[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=72900.msg848419#msg848419 date=1284643530]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name="smiley93" post="848494" timestamp="1284653425"]
[quote author=Bulldog8 link=topic=72900.msg848335#msg848335 date=1284604166]
[quote author=smiley93 link=topic=72900.msg847984#msg847984 date=1284569241]
IMHO...Nederlands problem(s) actually start in the middle schools. I am going out on a limb here to say that probably most of us in these forums are middle aged. Well when I was in junior high, they played flag football and you didn't play contact football until high school. We didn't have all the junior leagues (for all sports) like they do now (which I don't agree with either as you're seeing way too many injuries amongst such young boys). Not all boys play in these junior leagues though. THAT being said, the boys are not being properly prepared for high school football at at least ONE of the middle schools for sure in Nederland. Neumann might want to [u][b]REALLY[/b][/u] consider and take a look at what he hires at those levels considering they are the ones preparing the boys for HIS high school program. I had two sons play at one of the middle schools and I never before have witnessed such incompetence amongst the coaches. VERY basic changes just wouldn't be made. It was SO agonizing they (my boys) decided they didn't want to play at all in high school. Not because they didn't like the sport but it was made to be so depressing in junior high. THAT is what is happening in Nederland... the love of the game is being lost in the middle schools!! Would I like to see a house cleaning in Nederland? Why not? It certainly hasn't hurt PN-G. Sometimes people get too comfortable and things need to be shaken up! When you have talent and it isn't utilized then sometimes you might need to consider other options. I think Nederland has some serious talent right now too and the first district game will show everyone exactly what Nederland has to offer! Good luck guys!!!
[/quote]

This is way over the top. I played Jr league in the 70's and played all my school sports in Nederland. We one 1 game a year at Jr High level and not very many in high school. You play because you love the sports, period. Most kids quite because they dont like the disciplne that goes with football. Some dont play because they specialize in other sports. Or they just hang out with the wrong crowd, either way, football is a sport you have love to play. [color=red][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree, not disagreeing with you on that!! BUT...I am speaking from my own experiences with one of the middle schools and football became a joke[/font][/color]

As for as JR league football, I agree that some coaches out there do not know what is going on, however it is no different than other youths sports. The most inportant to any young player is to know to keep their head when they tackle so they dont get hurt.
Kids should have fun in league sports but if they cant hack they need to find something else to do.

By the way most all of the sophmores if not all them that are playing on Friday night play Jr league football is about half and half between hte 2 schools, and there are more coming right behind them. It is not for everyone.
[color=red][font=Comic Sans MS] Actually there are 5 sophomores starting right now (6 counting Stampley once he recuperates) and out of those 6 only 1 came from CMS.[/font][/color]

Are you aware the Central beat CO 8th grade A team for the first time 10 years last year
[color=red][font=Comic Sans MS]Yes, I am VERY much aware of Central beating CO last year. Believe me it wasn't because of the talent of the coaching staff either. That was a very athletically dominant 8th grade class.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Hopkins and Couron are from Central

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476