Question about weight on refs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="839077" timestamp="1283635301"]
Is there any type of physical traning and or test for on field refs????????
[/quote]

If there isn't there should be..Some of them look like a sack of potatoes with legs...I saw one get knocked down last week and it took the entire OL to pick him up.... ;D

[quote name="Kville_Kats" post="839081" timestamp="1283635526"]
[quote author=magnus1on1 link=topic=72505.msg839077#msg839077 date=1283635301]
Is there any type of physical traning and or test for on field refs????????
[/quote]

If there isn't there should be..Some of them look like a sack of potatoes with legs...I saw one get knocked down last week and it took the entire OL to pick him up.... ;D
[/quote]

LOL. 

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839684" timestamp="1283668298"]
[font=Courier]Should use the Beaumont Chapter then! Just because teams go with Houston, East Texas, etc....DOESNT MEAN YOU'RE GETTING BETTER CREWS!!!![/font]
[/quote]Teams that dont use Beaumont obviously have had problems with them or they would use them.I know Vidor does not use Beaumont what other teams do not use Beaumont?

It is sad that we have to get crews from Houston. But, Mathews could never get a fair game from the Beaumont chapter. From things I've heard, some even hated him personally. So, he quit using them. I don't blame him for that.
If what I've heard in the past was really true, well, then it is just pitiful that the Beaumont chapter could not be professional when calling a Vidor game. And, no. I'm not going to post what I've heard. You want to know if it those things are true or not, talk to the coaching staff. But, from what I understand, there is a reason we use Houston chapter refs.

As a member of the local chapter I take offense to your comments. I have never heard anyone in our chapter say anything bad or negative towards coach Mattews or the Vidor program. The only thing true in your statement is he doesn't use our chapter. If you call us bad officials that fine, you are allowed to have an opinion. My opinion is your head would explode if you tried to call a game. But I consider it an insult and a slap in the face to be called a cheater. The statement that he can't get a fair game is a bald face lie. I put in many hours of training, reading the rules book (ever seen one?) going to classes, clinics and discussing situations with fellow officials because I love the game. The only teams I pull for are in college or the pros. If any body tells you he can't get a fair game from the refs he's making an excuse for losing. Good luck with the guys you get, they work hard too. 

Only into the second week, and people are already questioning the refs (not referring to weight, condition, etc. Talking about fairness). I find it crazy that so many people actually think high school refs intentionally "cheat" in football games. This is crazy. Believe it or not...It is possible for someone to be a high school sports fan and actually be able to put their own "bias" on the back burner. I know I do. I love high school football more than I love one team. Not a ref but if I was I can't imagine making a call based on loyalty to my hometown, etc. The fact is, although many of you are loyal fans of your teams, there are actually people (like myself) who are drawn to the Friday Night Lights experience not because of loyalty to a team but because of love of a game. I live in Lumberton and I root for the Raiders but I root for high school football more. And, in the end, I root for the kids--be they Raiders, Pirates, Panthers, Titans, etc. And, in my years of covering high school football I have never met a referee who wasn't cut from the same cloth. These are people who love football more than they love a team. So, while you're rooting for the Raiders or the Pirates or the Indians, these guys are rooting for football. They could care less who wins the game. They just want to be a part of the experience. I can relate to that because I am the same way. I enjoy the game, whether "my" team wins or not. And, 99% of the time I don't have a team in the fight. I'm just there to be a part of it!
Are there bad calls? Sure. Are they intentional? I would say 99.9% of the time they are not. But, these guys are humans...not robots. I'm sure all of us make mistakes on the job as well. I know I do. So, to the refs, I applaud you for your contribution to Friday Night Lights. It couldn't happen without you! God bless!

Do high school officials get graded through out the year? In reguards to the Vidor BC officials they were not biased they just were not very good at there jobs.  I dont blame them are any group of officials for loses because everyone makes mistakes but these guys were clueless. They were the worst I have ever seen and they were bad for both teams.

[quote name="True Blue" post="839813" timestamp="1283704358"]
Ok lets get back on topic: Fat Refs, ;D Fat coaches and Fat cops. :D Its to early in the season to be calling out cheating refs. I dont think there is one person here that would cheat a kid. And that is what we are talking about is kids.
[/quote]

As long as they don't have to pull any of us from a burning building I'm alright with it....HA!

Seriously...I would think there should be some standard (maybe not weight as much as conditioning). I've known plenty of "overweight" people who still possess stamina and lots of "underweight"  people who can't walk without breathing hard. But, if it were me out there, I would definitely be hitting the gym!

[quote name="teeboan" post="839789" timestamp="1283702176"]
As a member of the local chapter I take offense to your comments. I have never heard anyone in our chapter say anything bad or negative towards coach Mattews or the Vidor program. The only thing true in your statement is he doesn't use our chapter. If you call us bad officials that fine, you are allowed to have an opinion. My opinion is your head would explode if you tried to call a game. But I consider it an insult and a slap in the face to be called a cheater. The statement that he can't get a fair game is a bald face lie. I put in many hours of training, reading the rules book (ever seen one?) going to classes, clinics and discussing situations with fellow officials because I love the game. The only teams I pull for are in college or the pros. If any body tells you he can't get a fair game from the refs he's making an excuse for losing. Good luck with the guys you get, they work hard too. 
[/quote]
Like I said, I've heard things. And, this was from a few years ago. So, like I said, to check on the talk I've heard being true, you'd have to talk to the coaches. All I know is that for certain reasons Mathews decided it was in better interests to use refs from outside the Golden Triangle. End of story. Take offense all you want, think I'm too stupid to call a game or to read a rule book, or whatever it takes to make you feel better.
But there is a reason for decisions made. And, it is not to get an excuse for losing.  ::)

[quote name="pirate68" post="839818" timestamp="1283704631"]
Do high school officials get graded through out the year? In reguards to the Vidor BC officials they were not biased they just were not very good at there jobs.  I dont blame them are any group of officials for loses because everyone makes mistakes but these guys were clueless. They were the worst I have ever seen and they were bad for both teams.
[/quote]
High School refs are looked at quite often, sometimes for their knowledge and other times for recruitment possibilities (Most higher level refs came from the ranks of high schools). Are there some out there who lack integrity, you can bet your butt there is, but just like in anything else, [b]they are the exception not the norm[/b]. I can remember one time when an official scouting other officials visited them during half time and the words he imparted to them about their in game behavior were very unflattering in no certain terms. But again that's the exception, btw, the reason I know about the incident is because I'm related to that particular official that was scouting. As far as their health is concerned, I know my brother, who officiates college level now, is constantly working out and running to stay in shape although I've never thought to ask him if there is a minimum physical standard, I'm pretty sure he at least has to get a physical exam each year. I will tell you these guys do it for the love of the sport, my brother missed countless games his two daughters participated in because of games elsewhere as he rarely had Lumberton games. My dad also, rarely if ever saw me or my brothers or sisters participating in the games for the same reason in the 45 years he refereed. At one time a referee couldn't call a hometown game but I believe the rules have changed due to shortages. Sometimes I think that I wouldn't mind getting in the family business  ;), but geez guys, I barely even [b]run[/b] to the bathroom, plus I'm just too fixated on being a Lumberton Raiders fan and don't want to miss our games. This early in the year, they are going to make mistakes, number one they are a little rusty and number two they have to incorporate whatever new rules came out this year. Plus the fact that they may be calling games with a new or partially new crew and they are still learning to work together. Next time you go to raising cane over what you think was a blown call, why don't you stop and think "Would I have made that same call? Am I willing to get out there and learn the rules to even attempt to make those calls?". Maybe then you won't come down so hard on that man out there who doesn't know you or your son/daughter from Adam and yet he's willing to get out there, sometimes driving quite a few miles, to try and keep the game fair for all those involved in playing it.

[quote name="teeboan" post="839789" timestamp="1283702176"]
[/quote]

Bet you can't say that about Hooks! 
;D

This has nothing to do with weight but since we're critiquing officials, I have to say those officials at the Little League WS every year are absolutely atrocious!  I get so p'd off watching those guys.....anyways.....it seems common practice that officials in all sports have been officiating by the pound, just say'n.

Keep in mind LLWS umpires do not get paid. I agree with the statement "if you call teeball for free in TX you better be thick skinned" I am a baseball umpire and have heard some quite nasty things. Atleast football referees have quite a bit of distance from the fans. Us baseball umpires have about 10-20 ft depending where you call and we can hear every word clearly.

[quote name="pirate68" post="839818" timestamp="1283704631"]
[/quote]

I agree,  I dont think they were bias either.  Just clueless.  On one of the holding penalties on Vidor, it took the officials forever to figure out how far 10 yards was.  These guys were bad period.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder