Composite Bats

Guest GCMPats

I like the rule change, but I am not sure how easy it will be to enforce. In recent years, umpires have had to look for the BESR sticker or marking somewhere on the bat. For the 2012 season, the NHFS has said that the bats must meet the BBCOR standard. This was a welcome change for us umpires because we have been told that the BBCOR emblem on the bat will look and be located the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. In theory, we will not be required to hunt all over the bat looking for the emblem as we have with the BESR emblem.

This new change being enacted for the 2011 season will be a different animal. I am guessing that the NFHS will have a list of approved bats and unapproved bats for the upcoming season. Might have to laminate a little card and carry it in my pocket to help with the pre-game bat checks. Going to add a little difficulty to pre-game, but I am all for safety.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="LumRaiderFan" post="819295" timestamp="1279661225"]
I vote we make it simple...no metal...no composite...Wood!
[/quote]

I would vote for that.

Guest GCMPats
Almost every (if not all) of those companies that manufacture metal/composite bats also manufacture woods bats. So they could just "give" those teams 2-3 $90 wood bats in place of 1 $300 metal bat. Most players use wood bats during the summer anyway. Heck, I have to buy a new metal bat every year (they go "dead" or so I'm being told) on  top of 2-3 wood bats. It would save me money in the long run.

As far as safety, just do not see the concern there.

Can you imagine though how many bats Bellow, Hicks, Sweetenham, Waddell and the rest of the best pitchers in the area would have sawed in half against some of the 7, 8, 9 hitters they have faced if they had to use wood bats? Some of those kids would be on there 9 or 10th bat. I just don't see it changing.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="819676" timestamp="1279807352"]
Can you imagine though how many bats Bellow, Hicks, Sweetenham, Waddell and the rest of the best pitchers in the area would have sawed in half against some of the 7, 8, 9 hitters they have faced if they had to use wood bats? Some of those kids would be on there 9 or 10th bat. I just don't see it changing.

[/quote]

I know of a lefty playing in the Northwoods league this summer that has "sawed" off 17 so far and counting.  ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...
why not just change the ball? everybody has to go buy new bats because some are too "hot"? it's ridiculous, all they have to change is the ball (which get replaced every game anyway), oh wait, that wouldn't make the bat companies filthy rich all over again. here's one for you, just let the umpires bring 5 bats to every game 29" to 33", both teams use the same bat and nobody has an "advantage", and if a kid is too fast let's tie his shoelaces together.

just change the ball and be done with it. with today's science balls could be designed for less exit speed and still maintain "long flight", infielder safety is the issue, not home runs, correct? all i can say is that bat prices need to drop appreciably if they pushing us down this road.

just my opinion, i think this a "money" move, not a logistical one, too easy to change the ball.

• 4 months later...
Guest tappedout
By looking at the new rule, I'm assuming that the 2011 Demarini Voodoo which meet's BESR will remain legal through 2011. Can someone verify if this would be true?

[quote name="tappedout" post="943173" timestamp="1294296172"]
By looking at the new rule, I'm assuming that the 2011 Demarini Voodoo which meet's BESR will remain legal through 2011. Can someone verify if this would be true?
[/quote]

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="hotcorner" post="939555" timestamp="1293669398"]
Players should have the choice to use wood or composite in 2012.
[/quote]

There's no rule that a high school player can not use wood. But why go into a gunfight with a pocket knife.

I say make them ALL use wood.

Guest Ranger83
Are you serious? Not too many high school kids are able to splinter a bat with enough impact to do any serious damage.
On the other hand, most of them can buggy whip a fastball with a composite bat that can inflict serious damage to a pitcher 60 feet away.

Wood is good.

[quote name="hitchpin" post="824076" timestamp="1281378696"]
why not just change the ball? everybody has to go buy new bats because some are too "hot"? it's ridiculous, all they have to change is the ball (which get replaced every game anyway), oh wait, that wouldn't make the bat companies filthy rich all over again. here's one for you, just let the umpires bring 5 bats to every game 29" to 33", both teams use the same bat and nobody has an "advantage", and if a kid is too fast let's tie his shoelaces together.

just change the ball and be done with it. with today's science balls could be designed for less exit speed and still maintain "long flight", infielder safety is the issue, not home runs, correct? all i can say is that bat prices need to drop appreciably if they pushing us down this road.

just my opinion, i think this a "money" move, not a logistical one, too easy to change the ball.
[/quote]
Then somebody would be accused of playing with dirty balls! :D :D

Guest baseball25
High Schoolers would struggle bad with wood, alot of pitchers would break alot of bats if they just pitch inside it doesn't matter who was throwing, hitting with wood is alot different hitting with aluminum.

The entire issue is stupid. The 'brains' of the issue is safety for the players. Compare the number of serious life threatening injuries caused by a batted ball VS that of football injuries caused by players leading with their helmet. There is no comparison. Football is a million times more dangerous.

This should be a non issue, but the liberals give everyone a trophy, ribbon or badge and keep everyone trim and safe say different. So here is where we are.

Rake in the dough Louisville Slugger & Easton why you can. There will be another cause of the month coming up soon.

Introducing wood bats would be a blessing for any scout. Not that they cannot tell a good swing from metal, but you instantly recognize the sweet sound of a ball hit properly. battting averages overall would drop 100 plus points for most high school players, remember, I said "most" not all.
    Not sure of wood bats being illegal in high school games, but I saw a fall game two years ago with Cinco Ranch and Brenham, where a couple of quality pitchers were dueling, and a Brenham kid blasted a couple off of the lc wall, the Cinco coach went to home plate umpire for 15 minutes and ruled that he must go back to metal? Never have forgotton that, and really do not know if wood cannot be used, anybody know for sure?

Guest Ranger83

http://www.nfhs.org/baseball.aspx

CHANGES EFFECTIVE IN 2011-2012
Baseball:
Rule 1-3-2: Effective January 1, 2012 the bat which may be a wood or non-wood product shall be a smooth implement, from the top of the cap to the top of the knob. All non-wood bats shall meet the Batted Ball Coefficient or Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silk screen or other permanent certification mark.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder