4th Annual Silsbee Basketball Boosters Summer Tourney/SILSBEE CHAMPS!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes:

What a difference a day makes for Kountze (actually what two senior players mean to the team). Kountze looked much better today. McDaniel was definitely the difference for these young Lions. We'll see how the rest of the tourney goes for Kountze.

LCM had another blowout win. But they have yet to play a higher caliber team (wins over Kountze JV and WB freshman). Even so, the Bears look pretty good.

HJ and Woodville played a slop fest of a game. HJ's basketball savy pulled this one out for them. (Garrett Gustafson went down in this game, getting a nasty cut over his left eye, requiring stitches)

After Livingston gave West Brook a scare yesterday, some thought they may give the Tigers a game. That was quickly tossed aside as Silsbee dominated Livingston the entire game. Tigers looked very good, with the bench looking good as well.

Nederland's varsity team came to play today (the JV represented Big Ned yesterday). The Bulldogs were very impressive in their win over Anahuac. Coach English got the Dawgs looking good.

In one of the most exciting games of the day, Silsbee took down PA 38-28. Silsbee was having to play back to back games (just finished beating Livingston) so they were a bit tired and it showed. PA raced to an 18-2 lead, led at the half 20-10. But the Tigers, behind Stallworth, Lane and Barrett, came roaring back and showed the heart and character of a seasoned team. The Tigers took advantage of PA's youth (even though some of this team are varsity players) and applied the pressure to PA, coming back to win by 10.

The big upset of the tourney was Legacy taking down West Brook. Great game for Legacy. Even though it is summer league, it's a win that the Warriors can be proud of.

Cleveland rolled an undermanned Spurger team (couple of Spurger's starters missed this game). Cleveland played without their big postman Cedric Reed, but they did not need him.

Finally, to close out today's games, Lumberton and Evadale put on a nail biter. Evadale had three different possesions in the last 15 seconds, also going to the line once, but could not come up with the 2 points to tie the game.

All in all, another good day of basketball, 12 pool games. Pool play will conclude in the morning and bracket play will start at 1pm tomorrow.

Finally got my hands on yesterday's results. Here they are:

After pool play ended in the morning, these are the 16 teams that qualified for single elimination bracket play. They are in order of bracket seeding:

#1 Silsbee
#2 Cleveland
#3 LCM
#4 PA Memorial
#5 Nederland
#6 Ozen
#7 Ozen JV
#8 Tioga
#9 Hardin-Jefferson
#10 Kountze
#11 Jasper
#12 Lumberton
#13 West Brook
#14 Livingston
#15 Anahuac
#16 Evadale

Bracket play:

1st round

#1 Silsbee defeated #16 Evadale

#6 Ozen defeated #11 Jasper

#14 Livingston defeated #3 LCM

#9 HJ defeated #8 Tioga

#4 PA defeated #13 West Brook

#5 Nederland defeated #12 Lumberton

#10 Kountze defeated #7 Ozen JV

#2 Cleveland defeated #15 Anahuac

Quarterfinals

Silsbee defeated Ozen  44-31

Livingston defeated HJ  36-30

PA defeated Nederland  42-34

Cleveland defeated Kountze  50-35

Semifinals

Silsbee defeated Livingston  62-32

Cleveland defeated PA Memorial  45-39

Championship

Silsbee defeated Cleveland  56-52

In a couple of notable pool games played Staurday morning:

Silsbee defeated West Brook  by 20

Cleveland defeated Hardin-Jefferson

In bracket play:

Big surprise was #14 Livingston pulling off the upset wins over #3 LCM and #9 Hardin-Jefferson to reach the semifinals before getting knocked off by eventual champion Silsbee.

Cleveland had a good tourney going 3-0 in pool play and reaching the finals, losing just the one game to Silsbee, finishing runner up with an overall record of 6-1.

Silsbee wins their 3rd championship of these 4 tournaments played going undefeated. The Tigers were 3-0 (actually 4-0 after defeating PA in a fill in game) in pool play, then winning their 4 bracket games to win the championship and finishing 8-0 for the tourney. Silsbee defeated their opponents by an average margin of 21 points. A great overall performance by the Tigers!

[quote name="Sloe" post="819043" timestamp="1279558321"]
Looks like it might be an interresting season ahead.
[/quote]

Yes indeed.

I was really surprised how well Silsbee played in this tourney. I figured them to be one of the top 4 teams but to win the whole thing with your starting point guard and 2 guard not playing in any of the games, was a surprise to me.

I will say this, I believe Silsbee has two of the top 5 players in the area in Stallworth and Lane.

I should have looked at the bracket before I asked about Spurger and Woodville,that is a brutal draw.Stallworth will be the best player in the area next year.I know Lane was solid last year so he could easily be top 5.There are gonna be some teams solid this upcoming season that may surprise a few folks.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="820680" timestamp="1280177496"]
So, HJ couldn't run with the big boys, huh?
[/quote]

Nope, they didnt stand a chance.  I have already seen some posts by a brilliant talent evaluator who has prognosticated "the end" for HJ.  He is very inciteful.  Look for HJ to finish 4th or 5th this year as the "changing of the guard" begins.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="820680" timestamp="1280177496"]
[/quote] HJ was just to small and slow for the big teams, Maybe they should take up the  off season weight lifting programe that is in place at HF.  It seams to be working so good there :D

[quote name="True Blue" post="820795" timestamp="1280193568"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=70859.msg820680#msg820680 date=1280177496]
[/quote] HJ was just to small and slow for the big teams, Maybe they should take up the  off season weight lifting programe that is in place at HF.  It seams to be working so good there :D
[/quote]Small & slow huh? LOL! I love it! The slow decline is about to start and pick up speed in 2011. :D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="820956" timestamp="1280243201"]
[quote author=hj15 link=topic=70859.msg820947#msg820947 date=1280242674]
I'm transferring my kid out of H-J since the decline has started, maybe we will go to H-F.!!
[/quote]LOL!  :D
[/quote]

I am going to contact the HJ Administration and point out to them the futility of continuing a basketball program that is obviously about to become an embarrassment to the district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83