Kiss basketball goodbye in HF!!!

I know this may be late in asking........but just what exactly is "universal weight lifting"?

I read that term being thrown around a lot but no one has really defined it.

Usually, when the word universal is used, it usually means it includes all things.  So until I am informed (or maybe corrected), or can have this explained to me, then I would have to assume that "universal weight lifting" would include lifts that would help athletes in all sports (I have also seen the term "universal off season" and I would interpret that the same way).

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="815716" timestamp="1278045881"]
I know this may be late in asking........but just what exactly is "universal weight lifting"?

I read that term being thrown around a lot but no one has really defined it.

Usually, when the word universal is used, it usually means it includes all things.  So until I am informed (or maybe corrected), or can have this explained to me, then I would have to assume that "universal weight lifting" would include lifts that would help athletes in all sports (I have also seen the term "universal off season" and I would interpret that the same way).
[/quote]  Essentially it is a football oriented program in which all athletes must particpate in.  Many basketballers contend that what is good for football players is not necessarily the most beneficial for basketball players.

The weight lifting itself isn't where the problems are, the conflict comes when you do it on game days.Most lifting programs are beneficial if done during the 1 hour school period but basketball players shouldn't be lifting on game days period!!!!

[quote name="no-look" post="815803" timestamp="1278101759"]
Usually the Bigger,Stronger and faster dont get to the state tourney. Skilled teams usually make the cut......UOS is designed to aid the football program year round....
[/quote]

Can you give me examples and tell me which school or schools are doing this?

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="815885" timestamp="1278123463"]
[quote author=no-look link=topic=70692.msg815803#msg815803 date=1278101759]
Usually the Bigger,Stronger and faster dont get to the state tourney. Skilled teams usually make the cut......UOS is designed to aid the football program year round....
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just look at those with decent football programs and underachieving basketball programs and you will, in most cases, have your answer.

Guest speechless
it aint got nuthn to do with that its the fact that a coach is hired to run a program but then get told what to do durin his season in the athlete period

u want them to lift fine tell em they gotta lift but let them do it when and how they wanna do it not when the football coach thinks it best for his offseason program

[quote name="stevenash" post="815898" timestamp="1278126018"]
[quote author=xavierbreath link=topic=70692.msg815885#msg815885 date=1278123463]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just look at those with decent football programs and underachieving basketball programs and you will, in most cases, have your answer.
[/quote]

Let's try again............which schools have "universal off-season" and which schools lift on game day?

[IMG]http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp246/vicki2233/political-pictures-barack-obama-ans.jpg[/img]

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="816019" timestamp="1278205591"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg815898#msg815898 date=1278126018]
[quote author=xavierbreath link=topic=70692.msg815885#msg815885 date=1278123463]
[/quote]

[/quote]

And just what single individual do you believe, can give you an accurate answer?  And please don't infer that anyone on this board has anything behaviorally in common with the individual in your picture.

[/quote]

Let's try again............which schools have "universal off-season" and which schools lift on game day?

[IMG]http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp246/vicki2233/political-pictures-barack-obama-ans.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

There are a lot of comments on this thread about all these schools that have "universal off-season" and players that have to "lift on game day".  So I would expect anyone that has made these claims to be able to provide the answers.  I am just curious as to which schools would make their players lift on game day.  If you are going to make the accusation, then back it up is all I am saying. 

Guest speechless
makin 'em lift on game day is not the issue

makin' a kid lift on game day is illegal by uil rules

it is requiring kids to be part of a football off season program during the season of another sport when they don't practice that same "off season" during football season

ec
hf
newton
all ur 1a schools that play football
woodville
kirbyville
buna
anahuac
just to name some

[quote name="speechless" post="816060" timestamp="1278223962"]
makin 'em lift on game day is not the issue

makin' a kid lift on game day is illegal by uil rules

it is requiring kids to be part of a football off season program during the season of another sport when they don't practice that same "off season" during football season

ec
hf
newton
all ur 1a schools that play football
woodville
kirbyville
buna
anahuac
just to name some
[/quote]

Wwell, Xavierbreath, you got what you wanted.  So now what say you?

[quote name="tigerguy" post="816097" timestamp="1278274327"]
And I believe most of those schools are successful in basketball!

Its hilarious that you are still whining about this! ;) ;)
[/quote]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/hobbitpirate/hunbyhunicons/bazinga.gif[/img] 

[/quote]

The only thing hilarious is the fact that you believe the majority of those schools are successful in basketball.  Of  course, I fully understand that a .500 season, to some, is very good.

[/quote]
Not much whining even though you would like to spin it that way.  This thread began with the suggestion that Universal Off Season will most likely be  detrimental to the basketball  program at HF.  Instead of the standard (and, I might add, very trite) whine comment, how about you providing some reasons that Universal Off Season is beneficial to a basketball program?

[quote author=tigerguy link=topic=70692.msg816122#msg816122 date=1278290898]
Another baby cries! :'( :'( :'( :'(
[/quote

Which baby would that be?  Oh, I understand, you meant the one crying that Universal Off Season is not used enough.  Or is it the one that has nothing to say but how much someone else cries?

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="816125" timestamp="1278294772"]
I count 1.5 successful teams on that list
[/quote]. Careful now.  Even though u know very well what u r talking about, u r about to be accused if crying( not because u r but because accuser is incapable of any orher comment)

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="816129" timestamp="1278297074"]
Lol Idk a whole lot about 1-a but you take off EC and Anahuac of the past few years you don't have much on that list

I know I know Buna has accomplished more than any two of those teams but we're out of the stone age now
[/quote]

And one would also need to ask what has been accomplished at EC after departure of Tremain Thomas

Well, why don't we wait until after one season under the direction of Coach Price before criticizing his methods?  I'm not real familiar with the universal off season program, but it appears that the manner in which Coach Price organized it in Barbers Hill was a bit more successful than Coach Mangan's administration of it at H-F.  Forgive me H-F folks, but is not as if the football program was benefiting at the expense of basketball under this program.  The 2009 H-F football team lost all 10 games that it played, scored over 20 points only once and gave up more than 40 points eight times.  So if the universal off season program was meant to benefit the football team, it didn't work.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="816135" timestamp="1278299196"]
Well, why don't we wait until after one season under the direction of Coach Price before criticizing his methods?  I'm not real familiar with the universal off season program, but it appears that the manner in which Coach Price organized it in Barbers Hill was a bit more successful than Coach Mangan's administration of it at H-F.  Forgive me H-F folks, but is not as if the football program was benefiting at the expense of basketball under this program.  The 2009 H-F football team lost all 10 games that it played, scored over 20 points only once and gave up more than 40 points eight times.  So if the universal off season program was meant to benefit the football team, it didn't work.
[/quote]

So you are saying it didnt help anybody last year but its going to be a great deal  for the upcoming seasons?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder