• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="816389" timestamp="1278427133"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70692.msg816324#msg816324 date=1278384621]
Correction, Administrator. ;D

[/quote] :-X :-X
[/quote]

Dove- its commendable that you acknowledge and respect those who occupy the hierarchy.  Have you taken the time to respond to the poll on this board regarding Universal Off Season?

• 2 weeks later...
I have no problem with the lifting durng football season. But I do monitor after the football season is over.
Specific seasonal training is okay. Because of the nature of basketball, kids need the extra strength to compete and get better, especially when they play against older players.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="819327" timestamp="1279671177"]
I have no problem with the lifting durng football season. But I do monitor after the football season is over.
Specific seasonal training is okay. Because of the nature of basketball, kids need the extra strength to compete and get better, especially when they play against older players.
[/quote]

Sorry Dove, but strength is totally irrelevant if the skills are not there.  Kevin Durant would be a prime example.  He couldnt meet bench press standards at pre-draft.  I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is thankful they ignored how strong he was.

[quote name="stevenash" post="819364" timestamp="1279680667"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=70692.msg819327#msg819327 date=1279671177]
[/quote]

Sorry Dove, but strength is totally irrelevant if the skills are not there.  Kevin Durant would be a prime example.  He couldnt meet bench press standards at pre-draft.  I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is thankful they ignored how strong he was.
[/quote]Shoot! I keep forgetting who my audience can be at times. I was only referring to the kids who have the skill set, and can play against older kids. My bad!

As long as there are no weight work-outs while a kid should be working on his basketball SKILLS..But if a kid is going to get hurt, hes going to get hurt, weight lifting may help, but he may get hurt lifting, who knows.. I remember one time this team had went to the weight room for the first time all year. About 15 minutes into the workout, all the kids wanted to go back to the gym and compete. Well, they went back to the gym.  That team was pretty good, I guess..Hard to keep the rats out of the gym..They used to punish teams, Its called dribble, pass and shoot, there is no substitute!!!

Good points!  IN some situations, you have players in middle school who play up in age groups (AAU). The kids are bigger and faster. The extra muscle helps because the younger players do get pushed around more.  I was a firm believer that push-ups and sit ups were good enough to get by in the middle school. I still do in some ways. But I've also seen where the weight training has put some muscle mass on my kids and seem to be stronger against their own age group in basketball.

Examine successful collegiate basketball training programs and you will find that they incorporate both strength and pliometric training.  A balanced regimen of skills, offensive, defensive, situational, strength and pliometric training is the road to becoming a better basketball player.  Gym rats alone will not win championships.

Good point, and you are correct...A College team will not win a championship without those. The thing is, there is time to do all of those at the next level. Time is a little short on the high school level, and skill level must be the first priority. If kids can find time to get stronger thats an extra benefit!!!

[quote name="team first" post="821676" timestamp="1280383770"]
Good point, and you are correct...A College team will not win a championship without those. The thing is, there is time to do all of those at the next level. Time is a little short on the high school level, and skill level must be the first priority. If kids can find time to get stronger thats an extra benefit!!!
[/quote]

Excellent FACTUAL response

[quote name="stevenash" post="820279" timestamp="1280022942"]
Even the kids who have the skill sets must keep working on them  or they will fall behind the others who are not using Universal Off Season.   Hmmm - I wonder if Kyle Singler and Gordon Hayward are products of Universal Off Season in High School?
[/quote]

I think another way to look at it is: I wonder if Kyle Singler and Gordon Hayward were multi-sport athletes in High School?  Then ask what their workouts were.

[quote name="stevenash" post="821681" timestamp="1280396852"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=70692.msg821676#msg821676 date=1280383770]
[/quote]

[/quote]I concur! But at the same time anyone can find time to do 25 pushups a night and 25 sit-ups. Do something! There are some big kids on the high school level who are beasts out there.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="821711" timestamp="1280412028"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg821681#msg821681 date=1280396852]
[/quote]

[/quote]I concur! But at the same time anyone can find time to do 25 pushups a night and 25 sit-ups. Do something! There are some big kids on the high school level who are beasts out there.
[/quote]

25 push ups and 25 situps on your own at night?  Great idea
Universal offseason for basketball players?  Not so great idea

[quote name="stevenash" post="821811" timestamp="1280427036"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=70692.msg821711#msg821711 date=1280412028]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg821681#msg821681 date=1280396852]
[/quote]

[/quote]

25 push ups and 25 situps on your own at night?  Great idea
Universal offseason for basketball players?  Not so great idea
[/quote]LOL! Wishful thinking on my part.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833