Kiss basketball goodbye in HF!!!

[quote name="sleepy" post="815212" timestamp="1277830123"]
[quote author=xavierbreath link=topic=70692.msg815193#msg815193 date=1277823910]
I just read this thread last night and something came to my mind.  I remember driving through Gilbert Lake Estates a couple of months ago ( I have some interest in moving to that area), and was trying to gauge if the addition had many children.  One of the things that I look for is basketball goals in the driveways.  To my surprise, I saw very few.  Does this mean anything?  Is there a restriction against it?   I don't know, but I may drive out there again and see if anything has changed.

I remember when growing up, we had "open gyms" to play in, but, we played more in the neighborhood driveway than we did at the gym.  Why?  The drive way was always open, you could shoot anytime you wanted and there always seemed to be enough interest in the neighborhood to have at least a 2 on 2 going.   Does this happen out in the Hamshire Fannett area?  If not, this could be one of the major reasons that the HS program has not had success lately.  In my opinion, kids need to play the game as much as possible.....it will only make them better and the best place to start is in the driveway.  Also, practice what your coach teaches you or wants you to learn "in the driveway".  This will have you better prepared for the basketball season (as well as some strength training and agilities).

JMO :)
[/quote]

Good post!!!
[/quote]Great post!! Because every time i pass thru Fannet or Cheeks, all i see is alot of kids riding horses or roping calfs. Very rare do i see those kids throwing a football around or shooting hoops. I'm assuming their rodeo team is awesome.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="horndawg" post="815202" timestamp="1277826683"]
Newsflash:

Middle school success =/= High school success

Not to say they won't be successful (I, for one, would like to see all HF sports at least 3 rounds deep in playoffs), but by no means is it a given.
[/quote]

Middle school success does not equal anything.  Sorry buddy!!!

Yes middle school success equals one thing, Middle school success. If you dont do the right things for progression, the potential will be lost. In Basketball, for example, Take the avg to above average athlete. You may lift him for 3 yrs and improve him athletically. Still wont be enough to overcome the better athletes. Its called genetics, its crazy. But if you teach him the game, improve his dribbling , passing and shooting.Well guess what. Middle school succes now becomes high school success. Seen it , more than once!!!!!!!!

[quote name="sleepy" post="815251" timestamp="1277838871"]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=70692.msg815202#msg815202 date=1277826683]
Newsflash:

Middle school success =/= High school success

Not to say they won't be successful (I, for one, would like to see all HF sports at least 3 rounds deep in playoffs), but by no means is it a given.
[/quote]

Middle school success does not equal anything.  Sorry buddy!!!
[/quote]

tell me you are agreeing with me then. If you think I said that it does equal you need to learn what "=\=" means.  That means "does not equal" for those not informed of this.

I just drove thru the middle of my town, Silsbee, after coming back from the hospital in Beaumont. I just saw about 15-20 kids walking in a group thru the middle of town with about 6 of them carrying or dribbling basketballs. By the looks of their sweaty shirts and shorts, it looks like these young men had been hooping somewhere today. ;)

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="815198" timestamp="1277825630"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=70692.msg815116#msg815116 date=1277775109]

Man you guys must not have to work .
[/quote]

I have just completed eleven 12 hr. shifts in a row, and went to SETXSports for a bit of diversion on my first day off. Now THIS stupidity...   
[/quote] Undoubtedly all those hours warped your sence of humor, that was a joke at how many post had been made in the middle of the day. but all those hours SITTING in a countrol room can realy get to you. ;D ;D ANd looks like you were on 2 days ago so you must have had a little down time then too.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="815316" timestamp="1277861394"]
I just drove thru the middle of my town, Silsbee, after coming back from the hospital in Beaumont. I just saw about 15-20 kids walking in a group thru the middle of town with about 6 of them carrying or dribbling basketballs. By the looks of their sweaty shirts and shorts, it looks like these young men had been hooping somewhere today. ;)
[/quote]

Has anyone seen a group of kids playing basketball in the Hamshire Fannett area?  Probably a correlation there.

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="815327" timestamp="1277863858"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=70692.msg815316#msg815316 date=1277861394]
[/quote]

Has anyone seen a group of kids playing basketball in the Hamshire Fannett area?  Probably a correlation there.
[/quote]

I think they are spending their time lifting weights.

Take a look at Nederland incoming soph class as an example.  If you look at most of them athey are not very strong looking, not the greatest athletes but have you seen them on the floor.  They are fundamentally sound, can shoot the lights out and play great defense.  They even won their group in Houston a few weeks back against faster and more atletic teams.  How, by being a better basketball team.  BTW how many 250 pound basketball players have you seen be a success in high school? Could they shoot, jump, or even get up and down the floor?  No, But they did great in universal off season.

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="815435" timestamp="1277927446"]
 BTW how many 250 pound basketball players have you seen be a success in high school?
[/quote]

I'd say Kendrick Perkins was a pretty good 2??+ (probably around 250) lb basketball player.  What say you?

BTW, there needs to be lines drawn for these arguments. First off, are these players 2 or 3 sport athletes.  If so, then yes, they need to be working out quite a bit more than 1-sport athletes.  A 1-sport can sort out a workout schedule and other time to work on skills.  Then, when the season comes around, just be ready to sharpen those skills.  As for the 2 or 3 sporters, they need to be an all-around athlete and must cram a heck of a lot more workout time into their already busy schedule, but they still need to work out to prep for all the sports that they play.

I guess I'm still confused as to what everyone is so up in arms about.

[quote name="horndawg" post="815438" timestamp="1277927945"]
BTW, there needs to be lines drawn for these arguments. First off, are these players 2 or 3 sport athletes.  If so, then yes, they need to be working out quite a bit more than 1-sport athletes.  A 1-sport can sort out a workout schedule and other time to work on skills.  Then, when the season comes around, just be ready to sharpen those skills.  As for the 2 or 3 sporters, they need to be an all-around athlete and must cram a heck of a lot more workout time into their already busy schedule, but they still need to work out to prep for all the sports that they play.

I guess I'm still confused as to what everyone is so up in arms about.
[/quote]

Exactly the point.  Even if they are 1 sport athlete they are in universal offseason.  IT IS STUPID!!! The basketball coaches can lift them as the see fit as the other coaches should be able to!!!!

I think the biggest complaint I have is to have a AD that is the head football coach tell another coach (basketball or baseball ) what he should be having his team doing during their season. I do think that lifting will make them stronger and even faster, but that program should be run by that coach during his season. If your going to have the football coach run the hole program then save the tax payers some money and have him coach all sports and just hire assistance.

[quote name="True Blue" post="815453" timestamp="1277931208"]
I think the biggest complaint I have is to have a AD that is the head football coach tell another coach (basketball or baseball ) what he should be having his team doing during their season. I do think that lifting will make them stronger and even faster, but that program should be run by that coach during his season. If your going to have the football coach run the hole program then save the tax payers some money and have him coach all sports and just hire assistance.
[/quote]

So do you have kids at HF? And if so, has Coach Price already made some sort of intervention like you are talking about?

No. I am not talking about Coach Price Personaly I am against Universal weight lifting ,run by the AD ( football coach) during Basketball or baseball season. We were at a school last year that was run that way. I know we are in Texas and Foorball is king But why should the other programs suffer inorder to help the FB team.

[quote name="True Blue" post="815467" timestamp="1277933808"]
No. I am not talking about Coach Price Personaly I am against Universal weight lifting ,run by the AD ( football coach) during Basketball or baseball season. We were at a school last year that was run that way. I know we are in Texas and Foorball is king But why should the other programs suffer inorder to help the FB team.
[/quote]

Because that is what he is being paid to do (win in football, not kill other programs).  Again, that is how it goes in a small 3A school, the AD is the head football coach. But I still do not see how working on agilities or plyometrics or even lifting weights 2-3 times a week is bad for any high school athlete any time of the year.  I will agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of lifting when I was playing, and I still don't necessarily agree with it, but hey if that's what the coach told us to do, we did it.  His team, his choice, he will live and or die by it, so just let it be.

[quote name="horndawg" post="815472" timestamp="1277934650"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=70692.msg815467#msg815467 date=1277933808]
[/quote]

Because that is what he is being paid to do (win in football, not kill other programs).  Again, that is how it goes in a small 3A school, the AD is the head football coach. But I still do not see how working on agilities or plyometrics or even lifting weights 2-3 times a week is bad for any high school athlete any time of the year.  I will agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of lifting when I was playing, and I still don't necessarily agree with it, but hey if that's what the coach told us to do, we did it.  [b]His team, his choice, he will live and or die by it[/b], so just let it be.
[/quote] That is not quite so, The football program is what he will be acountable for not the other programes. So if the basketball or baseball  programs or no winning they will be replaced not him. If he was judged on the success of the hole athletic program, like a real CEO is held for his job, I think things would be different.

[quote name="horndawg" post="815472" timestamp="1277934650"]
[/quote]

Because that is what he is being paid to do (win in football, not kill other programs).  Again, that is how it goes in a small 3A school, the AD is the head football coach. But I still do not see how working on agilities or plyometrics or even lifting weights 2-3 times a week is bad for any high school athlete any time of the year.  I will agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of lifting when I was playing, and I still don't necessarily agree with it, but hey if that's what the coach told us to do, we did it.  His team, his choice, he will live and or die by it, so just let it be.
[/quote]  Nobody said it was a crime.  The name of this thread was Kiss Basketball Goodbye at HF and that may very well be valid (in relative terms, of course)

[quote name="team first" post="815349" timestamp="1277869591"]
So glad you finally asked the question, and yes I see them playing all the time. But, really doesnt matter now.Potential wont be reached. Kinda sad actually!!!
[/quote]

Please explain?  On one hand you say you "see them playing all the time", then on the other you say "really doesnt matter now.Potential wont be reached".

How can this not help? 

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="815498" timestamp="1277947692"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=70692.msg815349#msg815349 date=1277869591]
So glad you finally asked the question, and yes I see them playing all the time. But, really doesnt matter now.Potential wont be reached. Kinda sad actually!!!
[/quote]

Please explain?  On one hand you say you "see them playing all the time", then on the other you say "really doesnt matter now.Potential wont be reached".

How can this not help? 
[/quote]

I interpret as meaning that Universal Offseason is ultimately going to slow the progress that those kids are making.

[quote name="stevenash" post="815482" timestamp="1277939647"]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=70692.msg815472#msg815472 date=1277934650]
[/quote]

Because that is what he is being paid to do (win in football, not kill other programs).  Again, that is how it goes in a small 3A school, the AD is the head football coach. But I still do not see how working on agilities or plyometrics or even lifting weights 2-3 times a week is bad for any high school athlete any time of the year.  I will agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of lifting when I was playing, and I still don't necessarily agree with it, but hey if that's what the coach told us to do, we did it.  His team, his choice, he will live and or die by it, so just let it be.
[/quote]  Nobody said it was a crime.  The name of this thread was Kiss Basketball Goodbye at HF and that may very well be valid (in relative terms, of course)
[/quote]

You realize HF hasn't been to the playoffs in basketball since '03 or '04 right?  It hasn't been the same for a while.  I think it's mainly because there are just not the same types of athletes that came through back in those days.  Also, the attitude of players was about 180 degrees of what you see these days.  Then it was about the team, now it's about "me".  I imagine that the drought has a little more to do with working out, etc.  I bet there's more to it than working out or not.

[quote name="horndawg" post="815544" timestamp="1277963172"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=70692.msg815482#msg815482 date=1277939647]
[quote author=horndawg link=topic=70692.msg815472#msg815472 date=1277934650]
[/quote]

Because that is what he is being paid to do (win in football, not kill other programs).  Again, that is how it goes in a small 3A school, the AD is the head football coach. But I still do not see how working on agilities or plyometrics or even lifting weights 2-3 times a week is bad for any high school athlete any time of the year.  I will agree that I wasn't the biggest fan of lifting when I was playing, and I still don't necessarily agree with it, but hey if that's what the coach told us to do, we did it.  His team, his choice, he will live and or die by it, so just let it be.
[/quote]  Nobody said it was a crime.  The name of this thread was Kiss Basketball Goodbye at HF and that may very well be valid (in relative terms, of course)
[/quote]

You realize HF hasn't been to the playoffs in basketball since '03 or '04 right?  It hasn't been the same for a while.  I think it's mainly because there are just not the same types of athletes that came through back in those days.  Also, the attitude of players was about 180 degrees of what you see these days.  Then it was about the team, now it's about "me".  I imagine that the drought has a little more to do with working out, etc.  I bet there's more to it than working out or not.
[/quote]

A competent and less restricted basketball coach could positively influence the problems you just identified.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami