Kiss basketball goodbye in HF!!!

Sad.  Reading this mornings article in the Beaumont Enterprise I believe that Universal offseason will be a continued trend in HF and will probably be even worse under the new football regime!  Kids will never have time to grow on the basketball court with universal offseason!

"Coach wants to get away from specific sport athletic period and have a strength and conditioning athletic period"

AKA..........Continue to ruin the basketball program so they cannot be better than my team!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you look at Coach Price's track record just at Barbers Hill, the boys basketball team was in the playoffs every year.  So why would you think that this would be to target basketball.  I think HF is in a very tough basketball district and that has alot to do with the lack of success in that area. 

[quote name="setxguru" post="814418" timestamp="1277395957"]
I think if you look at Coach Price's track record just at Barbers Hill, the boys basketball team was in the playoffs every year.  So why would you think that this would be to target basketball.  I think HF is in a very tough basketball district and that has alot to do with the lack of success in that area. 
[/quote]

You might be right.  However, please give the names of three or four consistently successful basketball programs where all athletes participate in year round universal off season training.

[quote name="setxguru" post="814418" timestamp="1277395957"]
[/quote]

HF would not be succesful in any district around here in any classification. PERIOD!

[quote name="True Blue" post="814440" timestamp="1277403145"]
Just ask the players at EC how the UNIVERSAL OFF SEASON worked for their team last year. When most schools that were getting ready to play in the playoffs they were draging tires on Wen. on the football feild instead of  being in the gym.  ???
[/quote]

exactly!!! Game day lifting will really help those guys!!! LOL!

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="814505" timestamp="1277418527"]
EC has been more successful than %95 of the schools around here in basketball I think what we're doing is ok
[/quote]3 in Dist. and only beat a private school with a lossing record in the playoffs, is not what i would call a succesful year, but you might . But if they would have spent Wen practing BB and not offseason football they could have placed 2 and made a good run in the playoffs. But  we will see how all the offseason football practice pays off this year when they play Newton :o

I believe East Chambers has established themselves over the years as a very successful basketball program in this area, no disputing that fact.

Only clueless and foolish people would think otherwise. ::)

I do agree though, [b]IF[/b] ;) there were lifting on game day, that's not helpful.

Lifting on gameday is no big deal...if you're consistantly lifting all year.  I played in college and we lifted (for strength!) 3 days a week, no matter if we had a game or not.  I was a better player because of it.  And before you bash it just look at the man's track record.  Barber Hill averaged 13 district championships a year in his 10 yr period and hardly any, if any were in football.  Give it a chance.

And by the way, EC getting 3 in district and beating a chump private school 1st round is a hell of a lot more than Hamshire's done lately.

Lifting isn't the issue.  I would like for a basketball coach to walk in the field house on a Friday afternoon and tell he coach that we are going to be lifting today fefore the game on Friday night.  Does anyone think that the football furus are having their kids lift on game day?  If it is not a big deal then let them do the same.  That is why it should be a separate position. JMO

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="814531" timestamp="1277428893"]
Lifting isn't the issue.  I would like for a basketball coach to walk in the field house on a Friday afternoon and tell he coach that we are going to be lifting today fefore the game on Friday night.  Does anyone think that the football furus are having their kids lift on game day?  If it is not a big deal then let them do the same.  That is why it should be a separate position. JMO
[/quote]

I like your perspective.  Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="814513" timestamp="1277423355"]
I believe East Chambers has established themselves over the years as a very successful basketball program in this area, no disputing that fact.

Only clueless and foolish people would think otherwise. ::)

I do agree though, [b]IF[/b] ;) there were lifting on game day, that's not helpful.
[/quote] You are right EC has been a good basketball program before the new AD football coach and young Basketball coach got there. But like Wildcatter said I would like to see the basketball coach to come in and tell the football coach that they are going to shoot free throws on  Thur. during school. Just make a few calls and find out if the winning highschool BB programs( Sislbee HJ Kountze Ozen) have football offseason drill during BB season.

here's the difference between the "known" basketball programs (kountze, silsbee, hj, ozen).  1st of all, they don't have to worry about the football coach taking them on game days because a lot of those kids, the better ones especially, are strait basketball kids.  Also, kids at those schools play basketball RELIGIOUSLY all year.  ALL YEAR.  Those kids have open gyms once or twice a week throughout the year.  Football season, BASKETBALL season, summer, it doesn't matter.  They play all of the time.  That's why they're good.

Plus they have tremendous athletes.  That never hurts.  Hamshire doesn't have those types of athletes, or play enough

[quote name="knows2much" post="814556" timestamp="1277436111"]
here's the difference between the "known" basketball programs (kountze, silsbee, hj, ozen).  1st of all, they don't have to worry about the football coach taking them on game days because a lot of those kids, the better ones especially, are strait basketball kids.  Also, kids at those schools play basketball RELIGIOUSLY all year.  ALL YEAR.  Those kids have open gyms once or twice a week throughout the year.  Football season, BASKETBALL season, summer, it doesn't matter.  They play all of the time.  That's why they're good.

Plus they have tremendous athletes.  That never hurts.  Hamshire doesn't have those types of athletes, or play enough
[/quote]

Can't put it on the football coach. You can have an all inclusive athletics period and win in each sport. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, female athletics are this way and they transition from sport to sport. Does the HF head bball coach also coach football? If so, then that should be his priority during football season anyways imo. I don't understand what the big deal is...if they play football, they train for football during football season. If not, they should be put in a very extrenuous off season program until basketball comes around. I assume HF has open gym. I would like to know how many kids are showing up to open gym. I bet Kountze, Silsbee, HJ, and Ozen are packed with kids everytime the situation presents itself. Baketball is really one of those sports you have to keep playing because it's easy to lose your shot quick and can be a while before you get it back. I think you hit it on the head, my guess is the kids (as of late) just aren't playing enough. Not sure if they really have anywhere to play either besides open gym, maybe the community should open some type of activity building. I believe they have the athletes (I think all schools have them) but are outmatched at this moment by HJ and Silsbee. Pretty much fighting for a 3rd seed every year.

[quote name="knows2much" post="814556" timestamp="1277436111"]
here's the difference between the "known" basketball programs (kountze, silsbee, hj, ozen).  1st of all, they don't have to worry about the football coach taking them on game days because a lot of those kids, [b]the better ones especially, are strait basketball kids. [/b]  Also, kids at those schools play basketball RELIGIOUSLY all year.  ALL YEAR.  Those kids have open gyms once or twice a week throughout the year.  Football season, BASKETBALL season, summer, it doesn't matter.  They play all of the time.  That's why they're good.

[/quote]

A little FYI. Silsbee's basketball roster for last season had only 5 straight basketball players on the team with 8 football/basketball players on the team. Three of the straight players started (Stallworth, Jones and Thomas) and 2 of the football players started (Hill and Lane).

Next season's roster looks to have the same number of straight and football players but it looks as though only two of the straight players will start (Stallworth and Harris). Lane, Gaines and one of the Barrett twins will start and each of them play football.

There is still speculation that a couple of these straight players may play football this season. ;)

[quote name="stevenash" post="814435" timestamp="1277400856"]
[quote author=setxguru link=topic=70692.msg814418#msg814418 date=1277395957]
[/quote]

You might be right.  However, please give the names of three or four consistently successful basketball programs where all athletes participate in year round universal off season training.
[/quote]
I will name two just in our area that have successful programs year in and year out in multiple sports.  Barbers Hill and West Orange-Stark.  Both these schools have programs set up where there kids lift year round.  You can make all kind of excuses of why you don't win.  The bottom line is if the kids in the program want to win bad enough they will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to put in the time to do so.  If the coach of a sport wants to win bad enough he will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to do so.  I saw Jordan give an interview once about his routine the day of a game, and he talked about his routine the day of his first NBA title.  He told the reporter that the morning of the game he set a personal best bench press mark, and he is the GREATEST.  I can assure you that if you are not lifting on a regular basis and you play another basketball team that is, you are going to be abused!  Just my opinion!!!

Disagree, if you look at WOS last year those were straight bball kids on the court.  All I am saying is I watched kids last year who were having to max out on game day because a football coach said they should.  My son plays fball as well and his time was spent on game day watching film not maxing out. In order for our baseball team to be able to use their period as they wanted the kids would have to be at the fieldhouse before school to complete their off season workout even though most did not even play football.  All I am saying is if you are going to do it on bball game day do it on the beloved Friday night. 

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="814603" timestamp="1277477568"]
Disagree, [b]if you look at WOS last year those were straight bball kids on the court[/b].  All I am saying is I watched kids last year who were having to max out on game day because a football coach said they should.  My son plays fball as well and his time was spent on game day watching film not maxing out. In order for our baseball team to be able to use their period as they wanted the kids would have to be at the fieldhouse before school to complete their off season workout even though most did not even play football.  All I am saying is if you are going to do it on bball game day do it on the beloved Friday night. 
[/quote]

It's my understanding that Francis, Villory-Griffin and Cotton all played football. Those were three of the five starters for the Mustang basketball team. Only Davis and Budwine did not play football.

in my opinion, it comes down to the school.  The schools mentioned that have the year round "football" training (WOS & BHill) are known for the continued success in football, not basketball.  I know they make the playoffs in BBall as well, but when you mention WOS or BHill and ask someone what sport comes to mind, my guess is Football.  HJ has always been a basketball school.  Ktze and Silsbee are also Bball schools, with Silsbee having success in football.  I can't speak to the PE schedule now days, but we had athletic PE and in that time period, you worked on whatever sport you played.  If you played multiple sports (like most do in small schools) you focused on the sport that was in season.  My senior year, i think we had 3 or 4 guys played football, everyone esle was basketball.  Football failed to reach playoffs and Basketball lost in the Area round.
After all that rambling, my point is the successful sport normally dictates how training or scheduling works.

Guest speechless
[quote]I can assure you that if you are not lifting on a regular basis and you play another basketball team that is, you are going to be abused!  [/quote]

hj kids dont touch a wait durn the season and aint gettn abused

bball is a game of skill and being strong is 2nd

ask lebron how much he can bench he dont he do yoga and ask kevin durant he culdnt bench 185 goin to the pros and he one of the best in the game already

Speechless, grammar please.

MANY top college coaches lift during the season. I've heard a college coach say that he noticed his team was getting weaker on the boards and lose balls when not working out during the season. It's the coach's preference here and as someone stated before, if you are working out all the time it's not going to hurt you. Think about it, when are you sore when you work out? When you first start or when you move up to the next level. If athletes are lifting during football season and hit a plateau and just continue those same workouts during basketball season (to keep their strength and not lose it) how is that going to hurt them?

All of this is just my opinion of course.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    voodoopriestonline
    Newest Member
    voodoopriestonline