when i played

[quote name="DP#1FAN" post="814726" timestamp="1277550970"]
[quote author=sfa87 link=topic=70674.msg814257#msg814257 date=1277313211]
Man i wish they would had all this coverage when i played all these camps the exposure of the internet, its a crying shame cause you had stud ball players like john evans kenny ford, myself, kevins henry and otis sowell from pa austin, then u had ernest gipson and derek giron from the bees and then you had kk vincent ray jenkins john clayton from tj then you had that stud linebacker from wos jeff knox and brian cleveland then the explosive malcolm frank, that was sum good football back in the day wish we had more coverage like these kids have
[/quote]
Let it go! We all  remember being a little faster, stronger and [b]bigger back then[/b].  :D
[/quote]

Not so sure about that....    ;) ;) ;D

[quote name="Lightning/Eagle" post="815257" timestamp="1277839948"]
Anybody remember them big yellow salt tablets the coaches fed you before practice? Then they would withhold water...(1981)
[/quote]

We got water once during each practice, from a water hose with holes poked in it.(1979)    Hated those salt tablets.

I quit school-Younger bro killed trajically-parents divorced-dad wouldn't pay C.S & state didn't enforce.Mom waited tables @Frank's(13 yr) & in late 60's made $35 wk.+tips trying to make our fam.of 4 a living.Being the oldest I got a job @rice dyer and helped w/$ till a draft notice came & I joined the USMC-served as a rifleman/mach.gunner during Viet.tet offensive 67-68-kept $30 for exp.sent the rest home to help.Hon.disch later-GED@Lee College-Success followed my every step.My greatest accomplishments in life was to adopt 3 sons-3 diff.times-2@birth-1(2 yr.old)child welfare.The 2 oldest served 16 combined yrs.USMC/Army in Bosnia/Iraq/Iraq/S.Korea.Youngest in law sch.U of Fla.Was I good in sports?Yes excelled in them.2 handicap @16 in golf-varsity FB/BB/BB as a fresh.w/wheels-arm-leg(kicking).In 1985 fast pitched Livingston Merchants to Class A State Fast Pitch Championship throwing a 4 hitter s/o 11 against Bmt.Raiders(2 time def.champs)and clocked@ 90 mph by radar.Why tell this story??Kiddos whatever situation life throws @ you-Keep On Believing YOU CAN DO ALL THINGS by FAITH.

[quote name="Scalp'em" post="814662" timestamp="1277501880"]
I think I'm still kind of young, but in HS 88-92 Coach Hentschel at WB would make us do a Buckner run at the end of the day (1 1/2 miles)during two a days with all the pads on. We would then do 10-6-4's (10 100 yrd sprints, 6-60yrd, and 4-40 yrd, there and back was one)I lost alot of puke during HS football ;D Do they even do bull in the ring anymore. They use to not do it in weight class either, and at the Brook we had several 300lb linemen. I thought it was pretty tough in my day, but guys older then me had it even harder. I don't think kids now days are tougher, but for sure more exciting due to the change in offenses. With that being said, I would put our HS QB James Brown up against any of the newer QB's in the area, and our linemen would crush these kids nowdays. ANyways our days are past, and I get excited to watch these kids nowdays, and I have 3 boys I get to watch with the youngest being 3. I have alot of football to go ;D
[/quote]
We did something similar to a buckner run at East Chambers back in the early 90's, only it was a mile run.  We never did the 10-6-4's but we did do the 10- 100 yrd sprints, or 20 50 yard sprints for time.  Oh how i dreaded bull in the ring.  I wasnt one of the biggest guys on the team, but i took my licks and kept on tickin.  I sure miss those days.

[quote author=liltex link=topic=70674.msg815298#msg815298 date=1277856122]
I quit school-Younger bro killed trajically-parents divorced-dad wouldn't pay C.S & state didn't enforce.Mom waited tables @Frank's(13 yr) & in late 60's made $35 wk.+tips trying to make our fam.of 4 a living.Being the oldest I got a job @rice dyer and helped w/$ till a draft notice came & I joined the USMC-served as a rifleman/mach.gunner during Viet.tet offensive 67-68-kept $30 for exp.sent the rest home to help.Hon.disch later-GED@Lee College-Success followed my every step.My greatest accomplishments in life was to adopt 3 sons-3 diff.times-2@birth-1(2 yr.old)child welfare.The 2 oldest served 16 combined yrs.USMC/Army in Bosnia/Iraq/Iraq/S.Korea.Youngest in law sch.U of Fla.Was I good in sports?Yes excelled in them.2 handicap @16 in golf-varsity FB/BB/BB as a fresh.w/wheels-arm-leg(kicking).In 1985 fast pitched Livingston Merchants to Class A State Fast Pitch Championship throwing a 4 hitter s/o 11 against Bmt.Raiders(2 time def.champs)and clocked@ 90 mph by radar.Why tell this story??Kiddos whatever situation life throws @ you-Keep On Believing YOU CAN DO ALL THINGS by FAITH.
[/quote

A great story.  My hat's off to you.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="westend1" post="815258" timestamp="1277841533"]
[quote author=Lightning/Eagle link=topic=70674.msg815257#msg815257 date=1277839948]
Anybody remember them big yellow salt tablets the coaches fed you before practice? Then they would withhold water...(1981)
[/quote]

We got water once during each practice, from a water hose with holes poked in it.(1979)    Hated those salt tablets.
[/quote]

Same here but we had a 1/2 pipe with holes in it. ;D

[quote name="Bucster" post="815934" timestamp="1278153221"]
This thread should be retitled to "The older I get, the better I was"  ;)
[/quote]

Hahaha! I nearly fell off of my chair on that one!  Of course, that was partially due to the loss in motor skills that comes with increasing age, lol!

You figure a lot of how kids are raised these days has to do with how tough they are or how tough they are not....check the record...an example:  there are kids that get "hurt" every game...will go out a series or two, then come back in the game to continue limping etc..  I teach my boy to never let your opponent see you hurt...he missed two plays in 13 games!

[quote name="liltex" post="815959" timestamp="1278170740"]
Going to the game in a VW bus when gas was 17 cents was fun.Losing wasn't all that bad 8) ::)
[/quote]
"Our" age is showing. I could fill my bug up with gas, eat out and go to a movie with a date for ten bucks. I never ever liked losing though. It always hurt like the devil. :D

I remember the days when Liberty beat Dayton a lot.  I was also at the gamethat Dayton finally "won"  The only thing was that the films should that when that Dayton player crossed the goal line, the ball was in the hands of a Liberty Panther.  That call was the difference in the game and broke a winning streak for Liberty.  Needless to say, we were not to happy.  [quote name="liltex" post="816185" timestamp="1278339611"]
I hear ya but ya'll probably winning alot then,we were a team that got clobbered by LIBERTY pretty regular ;D ::)
[/quote]

Our practices were like boot camp (95-99) at WOS. Coach would give us scheduled water breaks. My freshman through Junior year, we had "horse troughs" 1/2" PVC on saw horses with holes in it. Whatever temp it was outside, that is what the water was. We were so used to not drinking that much water, my wife played a co-ed softball tournament with me a year or so ago. She asked me.. since ive known you, you can play 3 games in the mid of day and not drink any water. How can you do that? I told her...baby beer has water in it. ;D

Anyways, my senior year, we got these cool little icewater machines with triggers on them. Man we were in high cotton. :D I remember my first college practice, i thought it was a joke. I couldnt believe there was no torture. :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder