Summer select teams--what HS player are playing when & where?

Could folks please share the teams-- Sundevils, Gladiators, etc: as to what rosters have our various HS players from the Golden Triangle playing?
Some of us will attend if we know the times and places.
Rosters? Schedules? Local Players(even those Uth that will be coming into the ninth grade).

Shared info will be appreciated...

The Sun Devils are playing today at Lamar - 3:00 in the final of the Triple Play Tournament.  The Sun Devils have two teams in the tournament.  One team is in the finals, the other is playing right now for the chance to play an all Sun Devils final. 

Local Sun Devils:

Jacob Felts
Derrian James
Cameron Dishon
Trevin Sonnier
Matt Menard
Shane Waddell
Kirby Bellow
Ryan Brady
Price Jacobs
Jace Statum
Trae Hester
Will Henderson
Aaron Morgan
Colby Jenkins
Quinton Evans

They play next week at the Sun Devil Classic at A&M.  Lafayette the following week.  Then Marietta for two weeks and they end the summer at Ft. Myers.

Ty Parker is playing with the Texas Prospects Black 18u next week in B/CS with a noon game Friday at Olsen Field. Later tournaments are ULL wood bat, Oral Roberts Tulsa OK.,Tyler Tx ( all prospects teams), another A&M tournament, finishing up in Clearwater Florida. As with the Sun Devils ,some of the black team will be in Round Rock this next weekend.

Jacob Soisson,Colton Burleson, and Derek Sowell will play for the Texas Prospects Gray 18u this summer with Sam Houston State this weekend, Elk City OK., Texas State, Tyler Tx, and others. Schedules can be seen at the Texas Showcase League website.  I think Sam Alvis is playing in NE Texas with a team with some La Tech Signees and others.

See Texas Showcase League for summer schedules.

Guest GCMPats
Sundevils beat the Baytown Knights 6-0 in the final game at Lamar. The Knights had earlier beaten the other Sundevil team 3-2. The 18u and 17u teams were split and mixed for this tournament.
The Knights had several Kingwood Park players (T Nichols, K Ebow and A Salter) They also had Baytown Sterling SS Ryne Onken.
Both Sundevil teams limited their pitchers for this weekend and rotated a lot of guys on the mound.

Gladiators play at Lamar this w/e, from the looks of the SD roster, seems as if a comment I made early on in the HS home run leaders thread held true with the SDs recruiting Gladiators players. Can't blame the >players but thats all I have to say about that...

Guest GCMPats
The Sundevils do not recruit Gladiator players. They "recruit", if that's what you want to call it, baseball players. Those "recruits" have the option of saying no. Most, however, do not.

Wow...1 week into the summer select season and, already, someone (e.g. the Gladiators) slams the Sun Devils.  It really gets old  -- understandable but old.

As a previous poster noted, we do recruit players that we believe are legitimate players at the next levels.  We offer them an opportunity and some accept, and others do not.  On the list that was posted earlier on this thread, only 1 of those players is 'new' to our program.  I would not suppose to know what his (or his parents) thought process was but I would imagine that the fact that we have had 5 classes come through our program, and seen 75 of our players get college scholarships, might be a good reason.  Our record in the draft is equally good (we had 13 current or former Sun Devils drafted this year alone).  I also suspect the quality of competition and instruction may have played a role as did the 'word of mouth' from his HS teammates/opponents.  Maybe the simple fact that, on the HS Home Run thread, he noted that a Sun Devil was the leader.  Performance counts, too.

Sometimes, people are better served tending to their own house (or, here, coaching and improving their own players instead of worrying about what we are doing).  That's what we do and that's why it works.  And, Jeff:  we have more of your guys calling us instead of us calling them.  I think that says it all, don't you?

Best of luck to all teams, and players, this summer.

[quote name="MIF04" post="813293" timestamp="1276762029"]
Wow...1 week into the summer select season and, already, someone (e.g. the Gladiators) slams the Sun Devils.  It really gets old  -- understandable but old.

As a previous poster noted, we do recruit players that we believe are legitimate players at the next levels.  We offer them an opportunity and some accept, and others do not.  On the list that was posted earlier on this thread, only 1 of those players is 'new' to our program.  I would not suppose to know what his (or his parents) thought process was but I would imagine that the fact that we have had 5 classes come through our program, and seen 75 of our players get college scholarships, might be a good reason.  Our record in the draft is equally good (we had 13 current or former Sun Devils drafted this year alone).  I also suspect the quality of competition and instruction may have played a role as did the 'word of mouth' from his HS teammates/opponents.  Maybe the simple fact that, on the HS Home Run thread, he noted that a Sun Devil was the leader.  Performance counts, too.

Sometimes, people are better served tending to their own house (or, here, coaching and improving their own players instead of worrying about what we are doing).  That's what we do and that's why it works.  And, Jeff:  we have more of your guys calling us instead of us calling them.  I think that says it all, don't you?

[/quote]WOW.. :o

[quote name="643" post="812336" timestamp="1276518227"]
Gladiators play at Lamar this w/e, from the looks of the SD roster, seems as if a comment I made early on in the HS home run leaders thread held true with the SDs recruiting Gladiators players. Can't blame the >players but thats all I have to say about that...
[/quote]What players ?

[quote name="643" post="813314" timestamp="1276783640"]
[quote author=MIF04 link=topic=70500.msg813293#msg813293 date=1276762029]

[/quote]You can say whatever you want as I'm not gonna get into a discussion especially with someone SKOOLED in argueing, BUT the bottom line is the >>>money and in our economy who don't need help, IMO its kinda skirting a players amateur status by paying to play or the perps that go along with it. In all seriousness tho, you are getting players that are above ave ALLREADY and even without your help would be going to the next level. I also think your somewhat stretching the sheets when you say 'Sundevil players' when infact in the last few yrs you had them a yr or maybe 2 (sometimes a cpl of games) and someone else had made them what they are BEFORE you offered them a chance to play, but you guys have no problem throwing all other teams in the ditch by taking the credit. Seems as if your taking a pg from George Stienbrenners book on buying a team. BTW I predicted 2 months back in the home run thread exactly what happened with the Ex Gladiator. Heres an answer to your last 2 sentences directed at Jeff, what idiot would not want a free ride to play, along with the other perps>>>now that says it all....   
[/quote]What players ?

[quote name="643" post="813314" timestamp="1276783640"]
[quote author=MIF04 link=topic=70500.msg813293#msg813293 date=1276762029]

[/quote]You can say whatever you want as I'm not gonna get into a discussion especially with someone SKOOLED in argueing, BUT the bottom line is the >>>money and in our economy who don't need help, IMO its kinda skirting a players amateur status by paying to play or [b]the perps [/b] that go along with it. In all seriousness tho, you are getting players that are above ave ALLREADY and even without your help would be going to the next level. I also think your somewhat stretching the sheets when you say 'Sundevil players' when infact in the last few yrs you had them a yr or maybe 2 (sometimes a cpl of games) and someone else had made them what they are BEFORE you offered them a chance to play, but you guys have no problem throwing all other teams in the ditch by taking the credit. Seems as if your taking a pg from George Stienbrenners book on buying a team. BTW I predicted 2 months back in the home run thread exactly what happened with the Ex Gladiator. Heres an answer to your last 2 sentences directed at Jeff, what idiot would not want a free ride to play, along with the other [b]perps[/b]>>>now that says it all....   
[/quote]

What's a perp?

I am going to say the same thing I said the last time this grousing by folks not associated with the Sun Devils came up.  There is no better judge of what the Sun Devils do to help kids than the kids and their parents.  I can assure you that we all believe the Sun Devils make a difference for our kids.  And what is the hang-up with the money?  There certainly are kids who have the opportunity to do things they otherwise wouldn't because of Chip's generosity.  That is a good thing, but that is not the real reason kids play for the Sun Devils.  I'd be willing to bet that any kid who worked out with the Sun Devils coaches even once would want to play for them.

There is no doubt that every Sun Devils player owes some gratitude to his Little League coaches.  However, there comes a time when the best players have advanced to a point that if they really want to meet their potential, they need more than armature coaching.  Matt, Jimmy, and JR are terrific coaches.  If you don't believe it, have your kid get a lesson from any one of them and see for yourself. 

At the risk of talking too much about my own, I can tell you that I think Trev is a really good player, but I will also gladly tell you that the Sun Devils make him a better player everyday he works with them.  Not one of us that has any input on what Trev does would have him play for any other team - even if the Sun Devils started charging for training time.

I've never heard the Sun Devils complain about losing a player to another team.  I'm sure it has happened, but they don't whine about it.  They just coach 'em up and play ball....really good ball.

[quote name="welovebaseball" post="813373" timestamp="1276799574"]
I am going to say the same thing I said the last time this grousing by folks not associated with the Sun Devils came up.  There is no better judge of what the Sun Devils do to help kids than the kids and their parents.  I can assure you that we all believe the Sun Devils make a difference for our kids.  And what is the hang-up with the money?  There certainly are kids who have the opportunity to do things they otherwise wouldn't because of Chip's generosity.  That is a good thing, but that is not the real reason kids play for the Sun Devils.  I'd be willing to bet that any kid who worked out with the Sun Devils coaches even once would want to play for them.

There is no doubt that every Sun Devils player owes some gratitude to his Little League coaches.  However, there comes a time when the best players have advanced to a point that if they really want to meet their potential, they need more than armature coaching.  Matt, Jimmy, and JR are terrific coaches.  If you don't believe it, have your kid get a lesson from any one of them and see for yourself. 

At the risk of talking too much about my own, I can tell you that I think Trev is a really good player, but I will also gladly tell you that the Sun Devils make him a better player everyday he works with them.  Not one of us that has any input on what Trev does would have him play for any other team - even if the Sun Devils started charging for training time.

I've never heard the Sun Devils complain about losing a player to another team.  I'm sure it has happened, but they don't whine about it.  They just coach 'em up and play ball....really good ball.

[/quote]

Amen.

[quote name="westend1" post="813389" timestamp="1276802155"]
Deja vu.  I think I've seen this thread before.
[/quote]Every year. Looked up perp, not in my Websters, but i think it's a cousin to a Carp. Lets get back to the topic. [b]Where are the boys playing this summer so we can go watch some baseball[/b]. Moderator's?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder