BH Coach to retire

[quote name="dontknowjack" post="800807" timestamp="1273718789"]
[quote author=GeeGanderdad link=topic=69642.msg800798#msg800798 date=1273717709]
See what yall gone and made this man do,shame on yall......
[/quote]over 500 wins, they better search long and hard to replace this man and he best be thick skinned to survive this atmosphere!

[/quote]

I disagree completely! I don't think you get anyone to hang around for 20+ years if it's as bad as you say. They won't have to search long and they won't have to search hard. And that [u][b]is not [/b] [/u] a knock on Coach Stalbaum. This is a job that I believe many people will want. Whoever gets this job will have talent to work with from the word go, and the talent will be there year after year as it always has been. He'll be paid well, he'll have first class facilities, and he'll be working for a first class AD. Heck, wish I could coach, made myself want to apply!  ;D ;D

I wonder if BH will go out of district or will it be internal.  Hope they open the search and see what's out there and hires a full time baseball coach.  Baseball coaches have to have thick skin.  Baseball is a very cut-throat sport, you can say what you want but at the end of the day most everybody (not all) are looking at what their kid is doing and as much as we preach team, to most parents it is a individual game.  A baseball coach puts 9 starters on the field and he has 3 or so parents so far up his rear it is shameful and then you have the arm-chair QBs that have never played a sport in their lives, but they are a expert on the game and log onto forums and give their expert opinions on how teams should be ran. and gripe in the stands.  (I played, but maybe I'm turning into one of those)  Then you have the ones who kids did not make it or not getting playing time and they blame the coach. You do have a few that support the coach, stay out of site and and just let the man do his job to the best of his ability and do what he gets paid to do.  It's a tougher job than most would realize. I'm sure Stalbaum has had to deal with these issues for 20 plus years and this year was no different from the others.  He is a good man and I wish him the best.  I hope we get a true baseball guy.  If this school wants to go to the next level, they need to commit and get the best guy they can find, just like they did in football.  I hope the Poole and Gage and the school board get on the same page and get it done.

Guest GCMPats
[size=12pt]BH baseball coach Stalbaum announces retirement [/size]

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published May 13, 2010

MONT BELVIEU -- Gil Stalbaum, Barbers Hill head baseball coach since 1988, announced his retirement from teaching and coaching Wednesday night.

He made his decision public at the school’s spring sports banquet.

The 57-year-old native of Victoria led Barbers Hill to the playoffs 13 times in 23 seasons and amassed an overall record of 422 wins, 204 losses and 6 ties. The Eagles went four rounds deep in the playoffs in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

After a playoff run of 10 consecutive years beginning in 2000, Barbers Hill’s season ended short of the playoffs in 2010. The Eagles tied Goose Creek Memorial for fourth in District 19-4A and lost a play-in game.

Additionally, longtime Barbers Hill baseball assistant coach Jackie Byrd was not retained on the school’s coaching staff by new athletic director Ronnie Gage.

“Not going to the playoffs was not a factor” in his decision to retire, Stalbaum said. “And losing Jackie really was not a factor, either.

“I’m exhausted. I’m tired and I really can’t do it anymore. I’ve done it for a long time. It was time. This job wears on you and it’s finally worn me down.”

Stalbaum said he would coach one final game – the June 20 4A-5A All-Star Game at Dell Diamond in Round Rock that’s put on each year by the Texas High School Baseball Coaches Association.

“It’s a pretty big honor to be selected to coach in the All-Star Game,” he said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

At Barbers Hill, he coached a total of 24 all-state players, beginning in 1990 with first baseman-catcher Bink Grimes, a New York Yankees draftee, and ending with shortstop Tony Carmona in 2009.

A graduate of Texas Lutheran College in Seguin, Stalbaum taught and coached for a total of 34 years. He came to Barbers Hill as a basketball coach in 1981.

Through the end of this school year, he had worked for six different athletic directors – Bob Edwards, Larry Hope, Kenneth Skidmore, Craig McGallion, Don Price and Gage – “and at least that many superintendents,” he said.

With 28 years of service to the school, Stalbaum has reportedly coached longer at the high school than any other coach in history.

Stalbaum said doctors put two stents in his heart in 2001, when he was 48.

“I’m just concerned about my health and my family and it was time” to retire, he said. “I have no clue what I’m going to do (in retirement). I’ve never been one of those guys who wanted to retires so I could have some easy years.

“I just know I can’t do this job anymore. I just know it’s time.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stalbaum had a great run at BH as playoffs 10 consecutive years is impressive. Having said that...new blood can be a good thing as well. I hope the new coach will continue to build on the tradition there and understands the difference between a "team" and a "program"----some schools just do not seem to get that. I think the Board of Trustees does understand the difference and that is one of the reasons for all the changes. Good luck in the search.

He's been a BH a long time.  Coach Byrd has been coaching a long time, not just at BH.  Everyone should want to retire healthy.  Had a friend die two days ago before he got that chance.  BH has had success, nothing to hang your head over.  Congrats on retiring and good luck Coach Byrd. Go enjoy somehting like fishing.   

Guest Bobcat
Coach Stalbaum - thanks for everything!!!! You will be missed, thanks for the hard work and dedication you gave to our school district. Someone will have big shoes to fill and have high expectations to fullfill, especially with all this talent we have coming (that's what I'm hearing).

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="TrueBlue" post="801107" timestamp="1273793031"]
[quote author=GeeGanderdad link=topic=69642.msg800798#msg800798 date=1273717709]
See what yall gone and made this man do,shame on yall......
[/quote]
See what we did.....shame on us???  He wasn't asked to leave, he chose to leave!
[/quote]

I'm sure he was feeling all the love.

I hope he was feeling the love.  Ronnie Gage, Michael Odle, and Terry Goode were at EVERY baseball game since they started in March.  There was amazing support for Gil and Jackie from all of them including the fans.  Were you at all of those games.....probably not!  Your screen name is GCM Pats.....wonder why you act like you know so much about BH.

Guest GCMPats
Because contrary to popular belief, I do know how to read! Most of what I have read on this forum was NOT supportative of the now former BH baseball coach. THAT'S the love I am referring to!

You sure are right GCMPats,There was alot of "love" going on about the man.......I don't even know him but I'll tip my hat to him......I wonder how the trend would have been "IF" BH would have beat GCM......The hardest thing about being a baseball coach from little league to the big leagues is when your winning everybody loves you but when you lose,you are a no good for nothing,I dont know why they hired you,sorry sum a fitch...I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!GO GANDERS...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu