Future of BH Baseball program

Guest eagle0911

Prime example of parents who know absolutley nothing over stepping their bounds.

Baseballdream writes "A parent could have coached this team to 50/50 baseball".

Not even a term used in sports.  A kid listening to this baseball savy parent would see right through his ignorance in the first practice.

Its called .500 baseball.  When coaching the outfield you could teach them to round "up" the ball to get a good angle for the throw. I bet you  could really give the "referee" the business.   

You might also throw in "keep your chin down" Now your coachin!  "keep your eye on the ball"  That will get'em to 50/50 ball!  "Stay back"  Now we're talkin!  "Swing level"  District championship here we come!  How about this one? "Get in front of it".

You BH parents are so smart that after spending the summer and fall with you, the kids should show up for school ball ready for the coach to do two things.  Write nine names on a sheet of paper and make hotel reservations in Round Rock.

And when replying don't forget to "use two hands"!

Now that was real talk.......Going into the season there was a little talking going on in the stands about our skipper,but guess where we are at now....Hey right or wrong there is one thing 4sure....Baseball does not stop at the end of the season....Keep those young talented young men playing ball,there is plenty of baseball in the summer in these neck of the woods...."the Coach"can't do it all,like they say it all starts at home......

[quote name="BH0088" post="798624" timestamp="1273182639"]

Looks like 19-4A may not have been that down this year, [u][b]they are beating up on 20 4A[/b][/u], and MAN, Coach Stalbuam had a team mostly of sophomores and Jrs. and were in the hunt for the play-offs in this district.  I know that BH had a ton of talent back in the day, but they still have a ton of talent and it isn’t 3A anymore.  Last year BH had mostly a senior team in a young district, this year BH was young and most teams returned everyone from last year. 

Coach did a great job, and supported these kids and showed confidence in this young team.  10 year streak was broken, but it was a 10 year streak, give the man some credit, he has earned it.   Sad that this man does not get any credit.  I hope when Coach Stabuam decides to leave that other coaches that may be interested in this job do not read this forum, and see what some of our fans are like.

Good Job This Year Coach Stalbuam,   You did a great job with this young team and know you will have them ready for next year and BH will start another 10 year run.

[/quote]

3 wins out of 9 games isn't what I would call "beating up"

[quote name="BHpride" post="799755" timestamp="1273385892"]
you gotta be kidding me.
[quote author=baseballdream link=topic=69413.msg799347#msg799347 date=1273286360]
A Parent could have coached this team to 50/50 baseball. There is and has been alot of talented players in the Barbers Hill School District.I watched some of the games and did not see where we were over matched talent wise in any of those games.I did sense some games we were out coached .
[/quote] 

How many years could we have said that!  C'mon eagle 07 and bh88.  You guys should have gone much further with some proper training.  There is no fall program, well ok until next year maybe.  OK The fact is we have never had one, so why would anyone think they even know how to run one.  We need someone like J Krugg in here now!!!!!  What are we gonna do, sit and wait another year till he retires so he can tell his classes that he really doesn't care.  Come on Coach Gage over haul it all!  We are cheating the upcoming players. We have some good kids that got some experience this year, now we need someone to show them how to win and win past regional. The talent is there if it will only be developed!
Just imo over the past ten years.
[/quote]

Ok..first off I love your enthusiam. Fact: The '07 team made it to the Regional semis...beat by a very strong Montgomery team w/ 2 very good pitchers( one is in pro ball, the other @ SHSU ). Lost 2-0 and 4-2...that's baseball. The '08 team....w/ all 4 pitchers back plus jr.Jay Burditt who's pitching in college now( that's 5 future college pitchers) lost for reasons other than coaching...you can start w/ players not taking care of their grades and others not taking care of their arms. I'm not the biggest Gil Stabaum or Jackie Byrd fan by any stretch of the imagination........but to pin the '07 and '08 shortcomings (if you want to call it that...IMO '07 was not a shortcoming) on the coaches is...just incorrect. Now years other than '07 & '08 you are on your own.  ;) As far as this year goes or went... very young team and again players or player not taking care of business.
JMHO.

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="799988" timestamp="1273471946"]
[quote author=BHpride link=topic=69413.msg799755#msg799755 date=1273385892]
you gotta be kidding me.
[quote author=baseballdream link=topic=69413.msg799347#msg799347 date=1273286360]
A Parent could have coached this team to 50/50 baseball. There is and has been alot of talented players in the Barbers Hill School District.I watched some of the games and did not see where we were over matched talent wise in any of those games.I did sense some games we were out coached .
[/quote] 

How many years could we have said that!  C'mon eagle 07 and bh88.  You guys should have gone much further with some proper training.  There is no fall program, well ok until next year maybe.  OK The fact is we have never had one, so why would anyone think they even know how to run one.  We need someone like J Krugg in here now!!!!!  What are we gonna do, sit and wait another year till he retires so he can tell his classes that he really doesn't care.  Come on Coach Gage over haul it all!  We are cheating the upcoming players. We have some good kids that got some experience this year, now we need someone to show them how to win and win past regional. The talent is there if it will only be developed!
Just imo over the past ten years.
[/quote]

Ok..first off I love your enthusiam. Fact: The '07 team made it to the Regional semis...beat by a very strong Montgomery team w/ 2 very good pitchers( one is in pro ball, the other @ SHSU ). Lost 2-0 and 4-2...that's baseball. The '08 team....w/ all 4 pitchers back plus jr.Jay Burditt who's pitching in college now( that's 5 future college pitchers) lost for reasons other than coaching...you can start w/ players not taking care of their grades and others not taking care of their arms. I'm not the biggest Gil Stabaum or Jackie Byrd fan by any stretch of the imagination........but to pin the '07 and '08 shortcomings (if you want to call it that...IMO '07 was not a shortcoming) on the coaches is...just incorrect. Now years other than '07 & '08 you are on your own.  ;) As far as this year goes or went... very young team and again players or player not taking care of business.
JMHO.
[/quote]

07 - Your right on here, plus these two comments:

[list]
[*]The series against Montgomery we had a wind blowing in the park of about 20-25 mph.  BH had a lot of long balls die at the fence in this series. No wind and we would have had a far different outcome.  That is also baseball.[/list]
[list]
[*]As for the arm, most people recall there being as many scouts as fans out to see R.H. pitch.  Poor kid was run out there so many times for the scouts he had no arm by the time playoffs got here.  Late in the season he pitched against Huffman and just did not have his good stuff.  It was a shame for the team because he was VERY good as a # 1 and had two very good pitchers behind him (you may even know one of those...LOL).
[*]
[/list]
[list][*]
[/list]

JMHO.
[/quote]

Totally agree.  I am not anti Gil for he has done a pretty good job.  One can not argue his record and his successes!  Congratulations on all.  He got all he could out of this years team.  We were very competitive in most games and they could have gone one way or another.  This is the same with other sports at the Hill.  Just gotta get further up the Hill.
My point is that the program needs an update to be able to compete with other programs.  Why should we not be able to demand progressive coaching.  I hope that Gil allows the two new baseball type hires to update the program under his direction.  Allow the kids to communicate with the coaches (Gage's philosophy) so the coach can better understand and teach towards that kid's needs.  Coaching by intimidation is in the past.  Even Rupp is not intimidating as long as you do it his way! Ha.  But his way is new and look at his assistants, Coach Thames, he gets the most out of his pitchers by teaching release points, hip rotation etc.  And he calls the game.  Just about every school's pitching coach calls the pitches and does not rely on a sophomore to do this.  And you can bet his pitchers know why he called that pitch. 
Develop a weight program geared towards baseball so we don't have the arm issues that Long and Hales and others have had.  Develop a hitting program that allows more than 75 swings and ground balls a week.  (How many cuts a day do you guys at Brenham get and how far are you going to go this year?)
Just imo and I'm done.
Soar like an eagle or fly with the crows!

I agree with those statements, we have the talent and now we will hopefully have year around baseball program at BH, so let’s just wait and see what happens.  I do agree the practices need more than what they do, but if the kids are not getting enough work in , there is nothing stopping them from working out on their own after practice to get better, go the extra mile.  I see some kids up on the wknds hitting, but most do not pick a bat up on the wknd once district starts.  If BH wants to go deep into the play-offs, all of the varsity players need to find a summer program and all need to play together in the double header league and need to play fall ball as well.  They need to go to instructors like Krug and go to pitching lessons and run and lift in the off-season.  Don't put it all on the coach, show heart and self motivation and push yourself to get better, instead of blaming everyone else of the short-comings of the season. Talent is not enough these days, it takes going the extra mile, because I know other teams are.  Not saying the load should be lifted off of the coach, or make his job easy, but if you want to be great you have to get more than a team practice in, work out on your own as well, show you want to be out there.  I could have heard a pin drop in the dug-out most of the time this year.  That has to change and there has to be kids stepping up to push each other and I agree having a coach in the dug-out to get these kids motivated.  I really think that things will improve, I hope I'm right.

BH 0088 you are on the money about doing what it takes to get better---most area schools baseball boys also play football and weather we like it or not most spend a disproportionate amount of time on football. After all that is where the glory is. I know there are some kids that play summer baseball and get ready for football at the same time but those guys are few and far between.

[quote name="BH0088" post="800176" timestamp="1273524179"]

I agree with those statements, we have the talent and now we will hopefully have year around baseball program at BH, so let’s just wait and see what happens.  I do agree the practices need more than what they do, but if the kids are not getting enough work in , there is nothing stopping them from working out on their own after practice to get better, go the extra mile.  I see some kids up on the wknds hitting, but most do not pick a bat up on the wknd once district starts.  If BH wants to go deep into the play-offs, all of the varsity players need to find a summer program and all need to play together in the double header league and need to play fall ball as well.  They need to go to instructors like Krug and go to pitching lessons and run and lift in the off-season.  Don't put it all on the coach, show heart and self motivation and push yourself to get better, instead of blaming everyone else of the short-comings of the season. Talent is not enough these days, it takes going the extra mile, because I know other teams are.  Not saying the load should be lifted off of the coach, or make his job easy, but if you want to be great you have to get more than a team practice in, work out on your own as well, show you want to be out there.  I could have heard a pin drop in the dug-out most of the time this year.  That has to change and there has to be kids stepping up to push each other and I agree having a coach in the dug-out to get these kids motivated.  I really think that things will improve, I hope I'm right.
[/quote]
That is very well stated! I talked to Long on Sunday and he has a very busy summer ahead of him. There are some good, hard-working kids in that program. I wish you guys the best of luck!

I know football is king, and nothing wrong with that, but I think only about three kids that started that are returning play football.  I know Leggett, Long, Bonnin and a couple of others play all year around, but you can play football and still play some summer ball or hit on your own or go throw.  I really think this year you will have more kids involved in summer and fall baseball and with a off-season program for kids who do not play football, it will make a huge difference.  I think BH is headed down the right track; it will just take time to see the results. 

New to the area, but I think this applies no matter where you live. The definition of nimrod is continuing to do the same things and expecting a different outcome. You have to look around at what programs are 3 to 4 rounds deep in the playoffs every year and how they go about their business and apply those principles to your program. Now, I have been told that BH has been successful to a point over the last decade without having a program structured just for baseball. It just seems that some changes are warranted to get to that next level.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine