Lamar "traditions" ...

[quote name="LCM2LU" post="790110" timestamp="1271260470"]
I've been thinking about this.

Did you know Lamar had a fight song and an alma mater?

I've never heard either one of these before. Honestly I didn't know they existed. Point being, with the reemergence of football, Lamar needs some traditions. Our own "rock chalk jayhawk" if you will. Our own "dotting the i" or "yell practice" or "bonfire". Those types of traditions are what bonds a student body, a community, an alumni base, etc. They create passion for a program. They give it identity. It becomes something honorable to defend against rivals, and to share with friends. We have nothing like that. 

If you meet someone else from Lamar, what common practice or experience can you relate to them with? The gyros at Kampus Korner?

Many will say that winning breeds tradition, and I can't argue that. I would just say that tradition and passion have a lot to do with winning too.

So how about a little collective brain storming? Start with something simple. What is something that Lamar can do say before the McNeese or SHSU game every year, that will get the student body, the team, the faculty, the alumni, and the community excited and involved?

Maybe students and alumni march together from campus to the stadium before the game and everyone touches the big head for good luck? Maybe everyone gathers and they smash a Dan Rather pinata before kickoff or something? Ideas
[/quote]

Sounds familiar:

9/7/2010 Lamar University football coach Ray Woodard is issuing a fresh challenge to the Big Red Faithful.

Woodard is encouraging Lamar fans to come early for Saturday's home opener against Webber International and for all of the Cardinals' home games this season to enable them to participate in the new "Be At The Bridge" ceremonies.

At 4 p.m. Saturday and for all of the Cardinal home games this season, the football players - all wearing their game jerseys - will depart the Dining Hall on Virginia Street and walk to the Pedestrian Bridge that crosses Martin Luther King Boulevard between the Plummer Administration Building and the Montagne Center.

Lamar students, fans, cheerleaders and tailgaters are encouraged to show their support for team by greeting the players along their route, which will eventually take them to their locker room in the athletic complex on the south end of newly renovated Provoust Umphrey Stadium.

"We're looking forward to a lot of high-fiving going on between the players, the students and the fans as they make their way to the locker room," said Woodard, whose team opened its first season since 1989 last week in an exciting 30-27 loss at longtime rival McNeese State. "These types of things help elevate school and team spirit. I'm all for it."

Lamar officials are hoping to have hundreds - if not thousands - on hand along the team's path Saturday to start this new tradition for sending the Cardinals out for battle.

"Starting this Be At The Bridge tradition is an excellent way to bring a lot of loyal Lamar University students and fans together with the players," said Larry Tidwell, Lamar’s interim athletics director. "It's a method of allowing the tailgaters and everyone else to unite with the Cardinal Nation."

[quote name="hj1" post="841696" timestamp="1283919308"]
We could throw tortillas on the field or wrap the giant head with red streamers before every game.
[/quote]

My husband grew up in South Park and as kids they would ride bikes and skateboards onto the campus and stick pinecones in the big heads nose!  :D
Then get chased by the campus cops!  LOL

Don't get the Tortilla thing? How bout we throw pinecones?
Just kidding!

[quote name="hj1" post="841882" timestamp="1283963464"]
The tortilla thing comes from an old Texas Tech tradition when the students used to throw tortillas on the field after td's. It eventually got banned by the Big 12. haha
[/quote]

That's funny, but in this economy, if you're throwing tortillas I'm eating! LOL
Thanks hj1

[quote name="coachacola" post="841810" timestamp="1283955192"]
I heard they are talking about lighting up the pedestrian bridges over MLK in red after each win.
[/quote]

Looks like the QB has sparked his own tradition.  MOHAWKS! Lord help us…. But, if the boys keep playing like they did Saturday, then they can paint their hair red and white for all I care.

I like turning the bridge red. We can claim we used the blood of our opponents!!!!!
GO CARDS!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder