Lamar "traditions" ...

I've been thinking about this.

Did you know Lamar had a fight song and an alma mater?

I've never heard either one of these before. Honestly I didn't know they existed. Point being, with the reemergence of football, Lamar needs some traditions. Our own "rock chalk jayhawk" if you will. Our own "dotting the i" or "yell practice" or "bonfire". Those types of traditions are what bonds a student body, a community, an alumni base, etc. They create passion for a program. They give it identity. It becomes something honorable to defend against rivals, and to share with friends. We have nothing like that. 

If you meet someone else from Lamar, what common practice or experience can you relate to them with? The gyros at Kampus Korner?

Many will say that winning breeds tradition, and I can't argue that. I would just say that tradition and passion have a lot to do with winning too.

So how about a little collective brain storming? Start with something simple. What is something that Lamar can do say before the McNeese or SHSU game every year, that will get the student body, the team, the faculty, the alumni, and the community excited and involved?

Maybe students and alumni march together from campus to the stadium before the game and everyone touches the big head for good luck? Maybe everyone gathers and they smash a Dan Rather pinata before kickoff or something? Ideas

[quote name="lu cards" post="790125" timestamp="1271261913"]
gyros from campus corner are the bomb.had my first one 20yrs ago and still pick one up from time to time.
[/quote]

The kabob burger rocks the house too ... but I digress lol.

LCM2LU- you must have NEVER attended a LU basketball game.  They play the "alma mater" entitled "Lamar Loyalty" right after the national anthem and everyone with school spirit holds their hand up making an "L".  The pep band also plays the fight song entitled "Big Red" when the players run out as well as several other times throughout the game.

Go to the link below and scroll to the bottom:

http://dept.lamar.edu/advancement/viewbook/page14.php

Guest coachacola
[quote name="LU Baseball Fan" post="790482" timestamp="1271317843"]
And if any of you can figure out how to get the Lamar fans spirited please let me know.  Sometimes I think that we should rename Vincent Beck.  "The Cemetery"  it is so quite.  Even when we are winning.... But at least everyone gets used to my loud mouth,  I just cannot figure a way to get them going.
[/quote]

They could try winning.  :D

The alma mater and fight song is only important to alumni (no offense to the alumni on this board) but if you want proof, just look at the small student section while the songs are playing. The basketball team needs tradition much like the football program will.

Guest baseball25
LU BASEBALL FAN, to get Baseball back at lamar and get it crazy again and bringing fans, it needs NEW Energy, A new young coach that will bring energy and life back to lamar's baseball program, that will go play anywhere in the nation, and will bring in big name teams to Vincent Beck thats all it needs, I am telling it will work, just ask FSU fans during the Spring football game last sat, The energy was electricfying with a New Head Coach and new coaches it was crazy, thats what Lamar needs, Gilligan heck of a Coach but his time as come.

They could try winning.  :D
[/quote]

FDLMAO.. Hate to tell ya but even in the early days of the decade when we were winning, other than a few parents and some students, no one says much.  Of course when we are ahead they make a little more noise but when we fall behind it is frustrating that the fans sit there like zombies.  Heck it is hard to get spirited at those times but that is when they need to know we are behind them.

Guest baseball25
I remember the days though when Lamar had big games at Vincent beck and it was a packed and rowdy, you just don't see that anymore because students these days wanna to see big name teams come and play. I remember when Texas A&M came in 2004, that game was packed and a very good rowdy crowd.

[quote name="baseball25" post="790773" timestamp="1271372411"]
I remember the days though when Lamar had big games at Vincent beck and it was a packed and rowdy, you just don't see that anymore because students these days wanna to see big name teams come and play. I remember when Texas A&M came in 2004, that game was packed and a very good rowdy crowd.
[/quote]

The only games that ever were packed were A&M, and Rice.  Then most of those were their fans.  I have been going to Lamar games for years and it has never packed them in consistently.  I just want those that show up to open their mouths a little bit...

Guest baseball25
well atleast the games are packed lol, thats why you bring in schools like that, but lamar doesn't bring in anymore schools anymore so its tough to have a big crowd, I remember when I was younger we used to go to lamar  basketball games when I was in high school and we would sit behind the visitors bench and we would get kicked out of our seats because lamars police/staff working the game wouldn't let us holler at the other team.

The Montagne is one of the only arenas I've seen that prevents the home fans to sit behind the visitors bench. That's the point of having homecourt advantage if you ask me. The entire SLC is like this in different ways. At the conference championship volleyball game between Texas State and Lamar security forced the Bobcat fans to move away from our bench, that's just crazy.

Shly - That is a conference mandate - the sitting behind the bench ban that is.

As far as the alma mater and the fight song - I learned them both my first semester at Lamar in Coach Payton's health class.

Lamar to thee we're singing, Voices raised on high.  We will forever love thee, laud thee to the sky.  We will ever need thee as our guiding star.  To us you'll always be our glorious Lamar!

Fight Lamar U Cardinals, fight alma mater fight.  Glory in the triumph of the red and the white.  Faithful to our colors, we will ever be, fighting ever fighting for Lamar U victory.  B-I-G R-E-D, Big Red!  Big Red!  Go Big Red.  (Repeat)

Sang them at every home basketball game from 1994 through 2001 until I moved to Lubbock for grad school.

Good times!

Heckling is half of the college environment. Ridiculous that you're not allowed to do it.. Luckily it's still allowed at baseball games.. My friends and I used to go sit behind the plate and chirp at every hitter on the opposing team, usually making every fan in the section laugh. Until one of use said something stupid.. then you could hear a pen drop.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder